Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    'Fantasy Chancellor II now it's political' poll discussion
    • 30th Dec 08, 9:59 AM
    'Fantasy Chancellor II now it's political' poll discussion 30th Dec 08 at 9:59 AM
    Poll started 30 Dec 2008:

Fantasy Chancellor II… now it's political

Last week it was the turn of a range of celebrities, and it was hard-fought between the Dragons (see result).

This week, which current sitting member of parliament, irrelevant of political party, do you think would make the best Chancellor?

A. Gordon Brown - 21% (825 votes)
    B. Vince Cable - 34% (1327 votes)
    C. David Cameron - 5% (201 votes)
    D. Kenneth Clarke - 18% (698 votes)
    E. Nick Clegg - 2% (61 votes)
    F. Alastair Darling - 2% (93 votes)
    G. Ieuan Wyn Jones - 1% (27 votes)
    H. Peter Mandelson - 2% (79 votes)
    I. Lembit Opik - 2% (88 votes)
    J. George Osborne - 6% (215 votes)
    K. Alex Salmond - 3% (126 votes)
    L. Another MP - 3% (126 votes)

Voting has now ended, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 06-01-2009 at 5:43 PM.
Page 1
  • alkar101
    • 30th Dec 08, 9:26 PM
    Brown winning this poll---oh dear
    • 30th Dec 08, 9:26 PM
    Brown winning this poll!!!---it's thanks to him that the country is in the mess that it's in....but i suppose if we give him another 10 years off messing the economy up then we could look back on this time and believe that he was successful!!!---how worrying
  • benood
    • 30th Dec 08, 10:27 PM
    • 30th Dec 08, 10:27 PM
    Why no John Redwood in the main list? More plausible than Mandy or Opik IMO.
  • djbd1973
    • 31st Dec 08, 12:23 PM
    • 31st Dec 08, 12:23 PM
    I'd go for Bob Spinks as he is independent
    Gordon Brown ate my hamster
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 31st Dec 08, 1:08 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 31st Dec 08, 1:08 PM
    • 31st Dec 08, 1:08 PM
    I'd go for Bob Spinks as he is independent
    Originally posted by djbd1973
    I think Bob Spinks is UKIP these days - not independent.

As for why no "John Redwood" for balance I picked the party leader, chancellor (or shadow) and one other from each of the three big parties. The other option was to allow people to select their own.

Fascinating to see that Vince Cable is in the lead... while his reputation is strong, I wondered if he was well known enough - seems he is.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 31st Dec 08, 5:53 PM
    • 21,483 Posts
    • 220,287 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 31st Dec 08, 5:53 PM
    • 31st Dec 08, 5:53 PM
    Ann Widdecombe - straight to the point and no arguments. In fact I think I would prefer her as PM but chancellor would be good.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • j.r.hansford
    • 31st Dec 08, 9:05 PM
    Vince Cable might just be the man.
    • 31st Dec 08, 9:05 PM
    I'd like to see someone sensible, not another young man that looks too smug by half [Osbourne, Cameron-no thanks!]
    Ken Clarke would make an interesting p.m., Cable as Chancellor, Davis as Home Secretary, Frank Field for Social Security. I won't go on.
  • djbd1973
    • 31st Dec 08, 10:35 PM
    • 31st Dec 08, 10:35 PM
    I think Bob Spinks is UKIP these days - not independent.

Martin
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    Hi Martin and happy New Year to you. Here is a quote from Bob Spink -

"I am a member of UKIP and an enthusiastic supporter of Britain s independence, but I am now an Independent MP not a Tory or UKIP MP."

That's why he would get my vote as I personally do not agree with MPs being whipped into a decision and which is why I would have him as chancellor outside of a non MP of course!
    Gordon Brown ate my hamster
  • NastyShag
    • 1st Jan 09, 1:14 PM
    • 1st Jan 09, 1:14 PM
    That's why he would get my vote as I personally do not agree with MPs being whipped into a decision and which is why I would have him as chancellor outside of a non MP of course!
    Originally posted by djbd1973

I must strongly disagree with you! there are many MPs that I can think of that need to be whipped to make a decision.
    • moochershopper
    • By moochershopper 1st Jan 09, 7:14 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    moochershopper
    Gordon Brown winning !!! Has everyone forgotten he was the one that got us into this mess in the first place, He sold off our gold at rock bottom prices, he raided our pensions, he has bombarded us with stealth taxes, he did nothing to stop excessive borrowing, in fact he is still at it, need i go on ? He didnt even have the guts to become an elected Prime Minister, by going to the country. There is only one person for the last 10 years that has talked any sense, but he has been ignored.... Vince Cable. People have short memories or are guillable, and no I do not vote Lib Dem.
  • Dooooooooooooooonut
    Vote Ken Clark!!!
  • Saucepot
    Boris Johnson !

What this country needs is a good game of wiff waff !
    • irishwench69
    • By irishwench69 5th Jan 09, 3:41 PM
    • 794 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    irishwench69
    Vince Cable for me - he's doing a good job now, just a shame it is as part of the third party that's not likely to have any real power any time soon........ :rolleyes:

Boris Johnson - really?!?

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222
    Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
    • ikr2
    • By ikr2 14th Jan 09, 3:21 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    ikr2
    Vince Cable for me - he's doing a good job now, just a shame it is as part of the third party that's not likely to have any real power any time soon........ :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by irishwench69
    I think the next election is the best chance for producing a parliament with no overall majority since 1992. If the Tories achieve the same progress as they did in 2005 and the Lib Dems pick up seats from Labour too then no one party will have enough seats to form a government on their own and the Liberal Democrats might have some power.

Until the last election, the Lib Dems were part of the Scottish Government.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,773Users online

Martin's Twitter