Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Nov 08, 3:35 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 27th Nov 08, 3:35 PM
    27th Nov 08 at 3:35 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-11-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Page 36
  • kookgekje
    Hi everyone,

I completely lost track of my spending in the week before Christmas and lost a few of the receipts as well. Unfortunately what I do know is that I went way over my budget. All those last minute "popping to the shops" for things I forgot add up. I probably came in at about £400 in December. December probably wasn't the best month to join. So I am going to try again in January with the same amount. Mrs M, can you put me down for £300 for January please? I still think this is feasible. No birthdays, Christmas or any of those kind of things to stop me from achieving it.
    Last edited by kookgekje; 27-12-2008 at 1:07 PM.
    Cheese… milk's leap toward immortality
    Clifton Fadiman

Feb'11 - GC: £105.89/£125 - NSD: 15
    Mar'11 GC: £3.84/£100 - NSD: 0
    • cashsaver
    • By cashsaver 27th Dec 08, 2:12 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 1,742 Thanks
    cashsaver
    Hi,

Need to get my finances back on track. Can I join pls? Freezer is full so I reckon for January £200 is my target. (One hubby, 3 growing boys and a big dog). Many thanks. This includes toiletries doesn't it? Good luck everyone
    • northern_star
    • By northern_star 27th Dec 08, 3:11 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    northern_star
    No spends for me over last few days which brings me back within budget. I reckon I'll need to spend about another fiver (on milk and toilet rolls :rolleyes before the 31st, so i'll have spent £163 of my £200 budget.

Can you put me down for £150 for January pls Mrs M?

"Happy New Year" everyone.

'Live simply so that others may simply live'
  • inamess200
    Well I have added up my spends for December and they come in at £501 so I am declaring at £51 over budget (still less than i spent in August before I joined the GC) however freezer has a fair amount of stuff and fridge is still heaving so am hoping to cut the spend down in January to £400 with the plan being to cut down to £350 in feb and even £300 in March (batch cooking at weekends is starting in the new year as is meal planning and taking food to work rather than buying a sandwich everyday ) the diet starts tomorrow as my wii fit mii is very wide compared to the rest of my family so weightwatchers here we come - however it will be a challenge with the spending as I normally find i spend more when trying to ww but not this year. this is the year I get grocery spending and my waist line under control!!

Happy new year to every one
    • hayley11
    • By hayley11 27th Dec 08, 3:51 PM
    • 7,367 Posts
    • 14,864 Thanks
    hayley11
    Is £3 for 1lb of diced beef good?
    I went into gabbotts today to try and buy some cheap meat to use in my slow cooker, so I said, I would like some cheap beef please They looked at me a bit odd then somebody suggested the diced beef, so he said how much do you want, erm...no idea! So he measured half a pound and I said, okay i'll have a pound and it came to £3.

Is that a good deal? I am so clueless
    Think happy & you'll be happy
    I my doggies
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Dec 08, 3:55 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Hayley,

If you have a look at www.mysupermarket.co.uk you'll be able to check out average prices. This thread may help too with cuts of meat that work well in the slow cooker:

cheaper cuts of meat

I'll add your post into the Grocery Challenge thread where the grocery experts will be able to help you.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-12-2008 at 4:07 PM.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 27th Dec 08, 4:05 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 30,028 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hurrah its goneeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    thats our turkey and it was nice i got a free range from sainsburys and we had it traditional stylee on christmas day,same but cold on boxing day in pasta for lunch and a sarnie for tea today....i was pushing my luck with it twice in one day but its now in the soup pot we should be clucking or doing whatever turkeys do...hows everybody elses turkey going ??
    • mouseymousey99
    • By mouseymousey99 27th Dec 08, 4:14 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 2,870 Thanks
    mouseymousey99
    On its way tomorrow in a Turkey and Ham pie...
    even my poor cats are fed up now!!!
  • jackiegibbo
    DECLARING AT £219.50p FOR DEC PLEASE SO CAME IN 50p under my challenge
  • jackiegibbo
    Have just checked my online spending diary and i spent £2656.92 on grocerys in 2008
  • savingfortravel
    MOUSEYMOUSEY99-turkey and ham pie recipe please
    TESSIEBEAR-turkey pasta recipe please
    I am determined to use it up!!
    Thanks
    SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
    • mouseymousey99
    • By mouseymousey99 27th Dec 08, 4:36 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 2,870 Thanks
    mouseymousey99
    Bit embarassing this -
    its a fix it pie - ie I am using Just Roll puff pastry, a jar of white sauce (sometimes its just cheaper to buy a jar) and some cooked ham....
    Best Mxx
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 27th Dec 08, 4:39 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 30,028 Thanks
    tessie bear
    saving..turkey pasta recipe really easy and not a proper recipe.......right put some pasta on to boil i used quills....fry some chopped bacon and a chopped onion and a chopped pepper in a bit of olive oil....in a seperate pan make a white sauce(melt nut of marg add tablespoon flour cook a bit then add milk stirring until u reach required consistency i like mine quite thin .....a bit of nutmeg is nice if u have it/like it) chop up some turkey then drain pasta and stir all pans ingredients together slop into oven proof dish sprinkle on grated cheese and bake in oven 10 mins to melt cheese and brown a pit.....i served it with a salad...........u could put other veg in if u needed to use it up i hope u like it and it uses up as much turkey as u want rid of tess
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Evening everyone

TIP -for anyone making a pasta bake... stick the dried pasta in a pan, pour over boiling water and stick the lid on but DON'T switch the ring on... by the time the sauce is made the pasta should be cooked -saving on gas/electricity - If you are going to wang it in the oven/remoska -the pasta should have heated through nicely by the time you are ready to eat it
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 27th Dec 08, 5:01 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Just popping on to say hi, and a belated happy christmas. We had a lovely time, and are fairly well fed!
    Did the last shop of this months money today, a few bits and bobs, some whoopsied mince in Tesco and some lots of veg reduced to 10p in the Coop .
    Freezer is full and we will hopefully not need any huge shops next month, although of course there are always things like milk, cat food, etc that always seem to run out!
    Looking forward to starying the new year wih a nice new budget and see you all in the Jan GC thread!
    x
  • justpeyton4now
    Hi. Please put me down for £100 for January 2009 GC.

Thanks
    Take the first step.
    Even if you cannot see the whole staircase,
    Just take the first step.
    ~MLK, Jr~
    • septemberblues
    • By septemberblues 27th Dec 08, 5:20 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 3,456 Thanks
    septemberblues
    Hello everybody, I failed my December Grocery challenge miserably, I think I lost the plot pretty early on in the month!
    My January Grocery Challenge is going to be £60 please, and I will try much harder in January, washing machine is nearly dead and I need to have some cash to put towards a new one

So happy new year everybody
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets
  • Hazel673
    Been lurking on this thread for a while now, think its about time i joined in proper please!! I have got absolutely no idea what i spend on groceries in a month so i really am plucking a figure out of thin air here but please can you put me down for £250 for january. That is for me, DH and DS. Complete guess as i said so should be an eye opener!!
    Make £10 a day challenge Oct : 0/310
    Oct Grocery Challenge 0/310
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 27th Dec 08, 6:16 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi All

Hope everyone is having a good break.
    Congratulations searching me so pleased for you.

MrsM could you put me down for £170 for January please. Completely went over budget in December.
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £48828.05/£46842.89/-£1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 27th Dec 08, 6:59 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    £200 for January please Mrs M

Not going to declare just yet, but doing ok so far.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

3,719Users online

Martin's Twitter