Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    'Fantasy Chancellor…' poll results/discussion
    • 22nd Dec 08, 9:58 AM
    'Fantasy Chancellor…' poll results/discussion 22nd Dec 08 at 9:58 AM
    Poll between 22-30 Dec 2008:

Fantasy Chancellor…

It’s Christmas time, and if the fairy on the tree allowed you to pick any of the following to be Chancellor, who would you pick?

A. Duncan Bannatyne 15% (1101 votes)
    B. James Caan 4% (331 votes)
    C. Seb Coe 1% (59 votes)
    D. Cheryl Cole 4% (325 votes)
    E. Simon Cowell 5% (408 votes)
    F. Alex Ferguson 3% (219 votes)
    G. Stephen Fry 10% (764 votes)
    H. Jade Goody 2% (162 votes)
    I. Peter Jones 12% (870 votes)
    J. Lorraine Kelly 2% (174 votes)
    K. Nigella Lawson 3% (191 votes)
    L. Nick Leeson 3% (257 votes)
    M. Trevor McDonald 3% (262 votes)
    N. Deborah Meaden 2% (119 votes)
    O. Kylie Minogue 2% (175 votes)
    P. Jamie Oliver 3% (223 votes)
    Q. Jeremy Paxman 7% (535 votes)
    R. Theo Paphitis 9% (711 votes)
    S. Jeremy Vine 3% (238 votes)
    T. Gok Wan 5% (380 votes)

Voting has now closed, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 30-12-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Page 1
  • Saucepot
    • 22nd Dec 08, 10:35 AM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 10:35 AM
    Why not Nancy Dell'Olio?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/fameandfortune/3545499/Nancy-DellOlio-My-dream-was-achieved-when-I-set-up-Truce-International-with-Sven.html
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 22nd Dec 08, 12:53 PM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 1,796 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 22nd Dec 08, 12:53 PM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 12:53 PM
    Thanks to everyone who voted for me! At the time of writing I'm in the lead.
    R.I.P. U.K. Democracy.
    • jamtart6
    • By jamtart6 22nd Dec 08, 6:02 PM
    • 8,650 Posts
    • 25,443 Thanks
    jamtart6
    • 22nd Dec 08, 6:02 PM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 6:02 PM
    why isnt the MSE himself on the list?!

Being Thrifty Gifty again this year

• Gemmzie
    • 22nd Dec 08, 6:56 PM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 6:56 PM
    Originally posted by jamtart6
    Exactly! Martin, you forgot you!
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 22nd Dec 08, 11:24 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 22nd Dec 08, 11:24 PM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 11:24 PM
    Two reasons.... 1. I couldn't think of a worse job. 2. I'd look a little bit of a prat if i put myself on my own vote!

Thanks for asking though...
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • ethanbentley
    • 23rd Dec 08, 7:51 AM
    Being Chancellor.
    • 23rd Dec 08, 7:51 AM
    Great answer Martin.
    Plus you'd be missed here. There's probably always going to be problems with "the system" but if you can help people to play/beat it then they're one step ahead. - Merry Christmas
  • teddyco
    • 23rd Dec 08, 8:23 AM
    • 23rd Dec 08, 8:23 AM
    I would vote for Stephen Fry.
    At least I would have a 90% chance of smiling when he told me that my taxes were going up AGAIN.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 23rd Dec 08, 8:44 AM
    • 8,682 Posts
    • 30,529 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 23rd Dec 08, 8:44 AM
    • 23rd Dec 08, 8:44 AM
    I'd vote for myself or any other MSE'er who has managed to get through the year, remain solvent and have a little money put by to see us through the hard times. I reckon any of us in this situation are more suited to run the economy than the current or former incumbent!
    • jamtart6
    • By jamtart6 23rd Dec 08, 10:26 AM
    • 8,650 Posts
    • 25,443 Thanks
    jamtart6
    MSE Martin - yep I do understand why you didn't put yourself down..but I think you would be the most obvious choice for the job out of everyone in the public eye!

• jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 23rd Dec 08, 10:38 AM
    • 8,696 Posts
    • 14,006 Thanks
    jackieblack
    MSE Martin - yep I do understand why you didn't put yourself down..but I think you would be the most obvious choice for the job out of everyone in the public eye!

Couldn't agree more....

Thank You and keep up the good work Martin
    Merry Christmas!
  • MadMac
    Lots of votes for Dragon's Den people - do you think they would make us all rich if they held the purse strings? It is a lovely thought...
    • jamtart6
    • By jamtart6 23rd Dec 08, 12:22 PM
    • 8,650 Posts
    • 25,443 Thanks
    jamtart6
    i couldn't decide which dragon to go for...but I went for Duncan B as he has the most trustworthy face (!) Good criteria to base my decision on!

• XRAT
    • By XRAT 23rd Dec 08, 2:01 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    XRAT
    Decisions decisions
    Looks like we have enough to choose from for a whole cabinet there!

How about a box marked, 'Any of the above to replace the current muppet.' Someone else is controlling him from backstage aren't they?

P.S.

Martin; Any chance of an article to help decide whether it is worth making up years of state pension for the wife..? I've read the thread which is now long and unweildy, and I'm afraid I can't follow it. (Is it worth making contributions to replace H.R.P. years?)

Merry Christmas one and all.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 23-12-2008 at 3:00 PM.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 23rd Dec 08, 3:01 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Looks like we have enough to choose from for a whole cabinet there!

How about a box marked, 'Any of the above to replace the current muppet.' Someone else is controlling him from backstage aren't they?

P.S.

Martin; Any chance of an article to help decide whether it is worth making up years of state pension for the wife..? I've read the thread which is now long and unweildy, and I'm afraid I can't follow it. (Is it worth making contributions to replace H.R.P. years?)

Merry Christmas one and all.
    Originally posted by XRAT
    On thes state pension issue - its actually in the pipeline!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • sunshine23
    First of all we need a chancellor that isnt just a puppet,
    then a person of the Heseltine or Branston calibre might start putting the country back on its feet.
    although your options for the vote are current celeb's, they haven't the overall historical knowledge of either of the above.
    that is of course in my opinion.
    sad thing is though, whatever good one chancellor does, the next political opposite would simply undue the previous ones good
  • lcharm
    Exactly! Martin, you forgot you!
    Originally posted by Gemmzie
    "Brown nosing"

I actually think MSE would be one of the worst people for the job (no offence)

Don't get me wrong I think he's doing a brilliant job with this site but think of it logically,

He's a consumer revenge, money saving guru. He'll do a brilliant job on that front but he would also be responsible for taxes which he is likely to drop, causing less government funding , super high inflation due to heavily increased consumer spending (increased demand over supply) and higher net incomes as a knock on effect of his money saving and total anarchy.

What is needed is someone with aggressive money management tactics not a beat the system advocate!

Now I just sit and wait for the attacks on this post to flood in....
    Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.
    - Thomas Dewar
  • Speckled Egg
    I wouldn't vote for Peter Jones.

He certainly doesn't care about the little people...
  • rikreschem
    Why isn't Robert Peston on the list? Over the past year, he seems to be the only person who knew what was going on.
    • *Louise*
    • By *Louise* 30th Dec 08, 2:31 AM
    • 9,071 Posts
    • 28,153 Thanks
    *Louise*
    'Fantasy Chancellor'

Well...there's two words I never thought I would hear in the same sentence....
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,145Posts Today

9,214Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin