Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 28th Feb 06, 2:27 PM
    • 9,418Posts
    • 22,338Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    Watchdog doing prevention - an exciting rarity
    • 28th Feb 06, 2:27 PM
    Watchdog doing prevention - an exciting rarity 28th Feb 06 at 2:27 PM
    This is a Chat Forum discussion on Martin's 'Watchdog doing prevention - an exciting rarity' blog that you can read here
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • mirandamayhem
    • By mirandamayhem 28th Feb 06, 6:30 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    mirandamayhem
    • 28th Feb 06, 6:30 PM
    • 28th Feb 06, 6:30 PM
    cheeky question, but did martin bulk buy one style of shirt so as to save money? Only whenever I've seen him it's been the same shirt!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 28th Feb 06, 6:33 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 28th Feb 06, 6:33 PM
    • 28th Feb 06, 6:33 PM
    Just caught the last 20 seconds of it
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• m00nie
    • By m00nie 28th Feb 06, 6:34 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    m00nie
    • 28th Feb 06, 6:34 PM
    • 28th Feb 06, 6:34 PM
    good to hear you mention people can check on your site for more info
    • skintchick
    • By skintchick 28th Feb 06, 6:36 PM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 23,339 Thanks
    skintchick
    • 28th Feb 06, 6:36 PM
    • 28th Feb 06, 6:36 PM
    I saw the end of it but spent so much time shouting 'that's Martin!' and explainign to my housemate who he is that I didn;t hear a word he said!!!! lol
    DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
    married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
  • Edinburghlass
    • 28th Feb 06, 6:38 PM
    • 28th Feb 06, 6:38 PM
    good to hear you mention people can check on your site for more info
    by m00nie
    The boy did good to get that in as they raced to the end of the programme
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 28th Feb 06, 6:56 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 28th Feb 06, 6:56 PM
    • 28th Feb 06, 6:56 PM
    I couldn't speak, but I was pointing at the screen with OH wondering why. Then he realised that it was Watchdog and I only get overly excited when a certain Mr M Lewis is on. Good plug for the website though!
    SPC 8 #021 975.71 #9 881.44 #10 961.13 #11 782.13 declared
    • hmaffin
    • By hmaffin 28th Feb 06, 7:07 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    hmaffin
    • 28th Feb 06, 7:07 PM
    heehee
    • 28th Feb 06, 7:07 PM
    I liked the teasing bit of chest hair that poked through the fashionably open top buttons on the shirt.......

• Edinburghlass
    • 28th Feb 06, 7:13 PM
    • 28th Feb 06, 7:13 PM
    As regards the actual content of the programme, I watched the film with the family and found it really interesting as only last night I went onto USwitch to see about switching my electricity and found it as easy as the clip with Martin showed.

• MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 28th Feb 06, 7:19 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Hi guys

Just got back. Im going to write a blog on it - but basically I'm so pleased none of you noticed my mistake. I said silly bug-gers on air .................. aaaah! Can't belive it

We were very short of time (the package i did was cut in half) i was VERY annoyed with myself!

Phew - no one seems to have noticed!
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 28-02-2006 at 7:27 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • hmaffin
    • By hmaffin 28th Feb 06, 7:55 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    hmaffin
    Yeah I noticed it but I didn't mind - you could have said much worse Thanks for the great advice though - I was unusre what to do whether to switch from powergen or not (not only because of prices but because of the appalling customer service) but I think I'm gonna hold tight for now.

*Applause*
    • Leodogger
    • By Leodogger 28th Feb 06, 8:30 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Leodogger
    Martin on Watchdog
    You did a great job and I think the show would benefit from you having a regular slot to show people how to save money by going to an alternative supplier when they bodge things up, as well as Watchdog helping these people to solve their problems with their existing supplier, or you could just have a time slot at the beginning or end of the programme just on saving people money. Celebrities and the public alike are always stunned by the savings you can come up with.

But where do you get all that energy from to keep finding us great bargains!

Keep up the good work!

Jan
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 28th Feb 06, 8:49 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Jan - perhaps its watchdog you should tell not me
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • aussielle
    perhaps its watchdog you should tell not me
    by MSE Martin
    consider it done
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
    • Tulip
    • By Tulip 28th Feb 06, 9:19 PM
    • 29,011 Posts
    • 73,125 Thanks
    Tulip
    Saw you on Watchdog tonight Martin.Loved the interview you did too Also agree with Jan,you should have a slot on the programme and I have just
    e-mailed in to Watchdog saying this

Katie

is glad to be a moneysaver
    Last edited by Tulip; 28-02-2006 at 9:28 PM.
  • carol_a
    Me too........
    • layces
    • By layces 28th Feb 06, 10:43 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    layces
    Utility comparator discrepancies and omissions
    I have been on an economical Scottish Power dual fuel capped tariff which runs until June 2006. None of the comparison websites listed it. If I switch to a different tariff or supplier I miss out on a 36 bonus paid in June. Bearing that in mind I obtained accurate annual figures for my use in KWh for gas and electricity and entered them in the various comparators. Each one gave me a different projected bill for their suggested alternative suppliers! They gave PowerGen as my best bet and did not mention Scottish Power at all as a potential supplier. I obtained figures for both PowerGen and Scottish Power and did the sums myself, taking into account the losses I would incur by moving out of my present capped tariff. It turned out that the best move was to Scottish Power's dual fuel on-line tariff capped to October 2007 so long as I moved before 1st March when new rates would apply. I was unable to get the cash-back offered by some comparator sites as my choice wasn't presented as an option.

It would seem that, whilst the comparator sites are a great idea and will probably offer savings to many customers, they are not infallible and should be used with caution. If I had been moving from British Gas and Seeboard to Powergen I would have made a saving - but my choice was better!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,421Posts Today

5,569Users online

Martin's Twitter