Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 28th Feb 06, 11:34 AM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Great 'Cheap Tan' Hunt
    • 28th Feb 06, 11:34 AM
    0 WOW
    Great 'Cheap Tan' Hunt 28th Feb 06 at 11:34 AM
    Pale and sexy still isn't chic. So how do you get that all natural tan when you can't trip abroad, especially if you want to try and keep your skin safe?

I thought I'd ask other MoneySavers to see what they do.... good fake tans, cheapest, easy way to spray.... what's your solution?

Click reply to add your ideas and cheap solutions

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-11-2006 at 2:28 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • lynseyf
    • By lynseyf 28th Feb 06, 11:56 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    lynseyf
    • 28th Feb 06, 11:56 AM
    • 28th Feb 06, 11:56 AM
    I use Johnstons Holiday skin. Its really easy to use and as long as you go easy around your knees and ankles and wash your hands it always comes out ok. I buy the one for dark skin even though I have quite fair skin. I put it on every night until I go the colour I want then only have to put it on every 2nd or 3 rd night. I also bought it in Boots whenit was BOGOF
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 28th Feb 06, 11:59 AM
    • 4,708 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 28th Feb 06, 11:59 AM
    • 28th Feb 06, 11:59 AM
    Boots at the moment have all the piz buin fake tans( was 11.99) now all 2.99

I spent 40 years lying in the sun only to develop skin cancer last year so only fake tanning for me from now on. Silly me eh
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 06-03-2006 at 6:52 PM.
    travelover
    • cheekymole
    • By cheekymole 28th Feb 06, 12:25 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    cheekymole
    • 28th Feb 06, 12:25 PM
    Piz Buin Spray
    • 28th Feb 06, 12:25 PM
    In Home Bargains Piz Buin Spray (2 kinds, light and dark) 3.99.
    Excellent stuff for nicely tanned legs
    I haven't got one!
  • ms_london
    • 28th Feb 06, 12:42 PM
    • 28th Feb 06, 12:42 PM
    I use St Tropez. Ok perhaps not the cheapest, but I cant fault it. Never gone streaky or orange (I hope!!?!). I use the Bronzing Mist which retails for 29.99 - however I buy it from ebay and usually get the 270ml for around 15.00 - this lasts a good 6 months!!
    • thetope
    • By thetope 28th Feb 06, 1:28 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    thetope
    • 28th Feb 06, 1:28 PM
    • 28th Feb 06, 1:28 PM
    piz buin as mentioned above is very good. my local chemist always sells it cheap. i tried to use holiday skin but i just went orange.

• silverfoxdude
    • By silverfoxdude 28th Feb 06, 1:30 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    silverfoxdude
    • 28th Feb 06, 1:30 PM
    I used to use 'Duo Tan' (say in a high pitch voice for effect!)

Always used with a touch of moisturiser to stop the streaks it was a really nice colour...
    Now though I'm opting for the pale and ill look for the winter months
  • maizie moo
    I have just tried Johnson's Holiday Skin and am very impressed. It was offer in Morrisons at 3.59
    • mcallister1
    • By mcallister1 28th Feb 06, 1:52 PM
    • 2,169 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    mcallister1
    • 28th Feb 06, 1:52 PM
    • 28th Feb 06, 1:52 PM
    In Boots just now- 100 advantage points if you buy a no17 tan product. ( Use a voucher from the advantage card machine)
    Tan wipes are 1.99- you get a free brush with it and the brush attracts another 100 points, which makes the whole transaction make you a profit of 1p on your advantage card.
    Thanks to liverbird for this from the first post on the boots grabbit thread Here
    Last edited by mcallister1; 28-02-2006 at 1:55 PM.
  • DangerM0use
    Directcosmetics.com have Piz Buin 200ml body cooling spray for 2.99.
  • gixxerchick
    Iv'e found Avon's be bronze self tan spray works fantastic on me, i have red hair and fair skin and this is the only safest way for me to have a bit of colour, i think they cost 10 but are always on offer as bogof, no streaks and an even colour.

I also tried out lab garnier when it was on offer last year in boots, the aerosol spray with good results too.
  • jaymac
    fake bake is good, as is having a professional fake tan at a college that has beauty classes - last year I paid 15 for a salon St Tropez and the "student" was a former therapist at Ragdale Hall.
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 06-03-2006 at 6:53 PM.
    • heaven scent
    • By heaven scent 28th Feb 06, 6:15 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    heaven scent
    I've tried all those mentionned and I'm really allergic to them - I get a terrible rash that takes months to go- does anyone know what the ingredient might be that I need to avoid? Or an anti- allergic one? Thanks, otherwise I'm not getting my legs out this summer!
  • SuzySF
    I bought a Babyliss Spray Tan system off ebay - it's a proper compressor powered one like they use in salons - BUT here the moneysaving bit - I hire it out to friends they too have a nice professional spray tan at a fraction of the price - so were all moneysavers !!!!!!!!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
    • KMK
    • By KMK 28th Feb 06, 6:51 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    KMK
    Has anyone ever tried out the contraption advertized in Argos which you can use at home? It is a smaller version of the sprays used in salons but it looks very complicated to me.

Also my sister gets an allergic reaction from most false tans. Any reason why? What is the likely ingredient? Can anyone recommend one for allergic skins please?
  • SPARKLYBLUE
    fake tan
    Yep! Johnsons holiday skin, is definitely the best! I have tried many fakes and this is the biz, one application and next morning there's the tan! good thing about this is as it's really a lotion you don't have to be so careful, just round ankles and knees. I use the darker one and it' s perfect.
    Superdrug have got a double offer on the body and face together, cheaper than Boots.
    happy tanning!
    • heaven scent
    • By heaven scent 1st Mar 06, 8:09 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    heaven scent
    Thanks sparklyblue I'll give it a go!
    • islandman
    • By islandman 1st Mar 06, 8:50 AM
    • 4,359 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    islandman
    Keep an eye open on Ideal World for "Zhuzh",the guy that promotes it is tanned better than leathery David Dickenson. The product is a milky spray and tans throughout the year, providing you are in sunlight. WARNING, there is NO factor protector. So you need to add that.
    Bowel screening saved my life, make sure it saves yours.
  • steph83
    I use Johnstons Holiday skin. Its really easy to use and as long as you go easy around your knees and ankles and wash your hands it always comes out ok. I buy the one for dark skin even though I have quite fair skin. I put it on every night until I go the colour I want then only have to put it on every 2nd or 3 rd night. I also bought it in Boots whenit was BOGOF
    by lynseyf
    I also use Johnson Holiday skin and think it's really good. I have noticed quite a lot of other brands (such as Dove, Superdrug etc.) doing a similar product, but cheaper. I haven't actually tried any of these, but was wondering if anyone else had and knew if they were as good?
  • kerryhoney
    The Boots No7 one has always been good for me. Although I always use a mitt thing (a few pounds from Boots or Superdrug - if you wash it once a week it lasts forever!). I think its about 10 a bottle but I always stock up when you get the 5 vouchers for spending over 10. It then works out to a fiver and lasts for ages. Bargain.

That holiday skin is pretty good too, though it did give me a couple of stripes and it does smell like the traditional FT which is never good.

Most helpful tips though.

The-not-so-pasty-kerry.
    Total Debt (not incl. mortgage) 35,612 25/8/06
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

1,472Users online

Martin's Twitter