Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Oct 08, 8:48 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    November 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Oct 08, 8:48 AM
    November 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Oct 08 at 8:48 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and 6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-10-2008 at 8:03 AM.
Page 47
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 26th Nov 08, 3:36 PM
    • 7,655 Posts
    • 10,533 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    We're off for the weekend so I can declare November at 201. That'll do for me

I'll be on December for 200 again (not paying for Xmas dinner as at Mum's )
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% 400/2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 26th Nov 08, 6:37 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    evening all

well i'm into Decmebr now as i go payday to payday,

i want to declare on 93.57 for november!

the extra can go towards next months treats.

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• frugalswan
    I'm going to have to declare Haven't succeeded this time, will try again in December. Spent 35.46, taking me to 0.60 over my target of 160. So, I declare at 160.60.
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
    • suzybloo
    • By suzybloo 26th Nov 08, 6:53 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 8,715 Thanks
    suzybloo
    Good evening everyone, well over budget but quite a bit put away for next month have to Sunday to go to so will be about 80 over!!. For the rest of the week we will be using up whats in the cupboard and freezer then I will be doing a great big shop in about two weeks time. Hope everyone is doing well.
    Every days a School day!
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 26th Nov 08, 7:24 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,526 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    i am declaring 181.39 for november yayy!!!!

thats 2 months running now ,,I am doing well ,,,may not do so well next month but I will try ,, have everything now til friday so thats why I am declaring today ,,no more spending til next week now

see you next month

Kaat xx

200 for december please Mrs Mcawber thanks
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• septemberblues
    • By septemberblues 26th Nov 08, 7:36 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 3,456 Thanks
    septemberblues
    HI everybody, I'm not sure if I posted my amounts too early, so here I go again. Spent 62 for November's challenge (12 over my 50 challenge )

Am declaring 60 for December.(is that big enough writing )
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets
    • msgnomey
    • By msgnomey 26th Nov 08, 8:05 PM
    • 1,605 Posts
    • 26,365 Thanks
    msgnomey
    Well I am done for this month on Friday (payday to payday) and coming in at 316/300 not bad for a first month!! Next month will start on Friday and I'll try for 300 again
    Go hopefully into each new day, enjoy something from every day no matter how small, you never know when it will be your last
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 26th Nov 08, 10:28 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Boo hiss. Over again . However on a more positive note, I've still saved so much money by keeping track of it. So I'm declaring 136 for Nov and sticking to the 100 for Dec. Must try harder at keeping up with the posts too. Success stories for the month include teaching my Mum how to cook. She now makes up some of her own recipes! Getting my family & friends to agree to a 10 limit on pressies this year, this didn't really take much persuading & cuts out on all the unnecessary rubbish we usually buy each other.
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 27th Nov 08, 6:12 AM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 24,039 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    a sobering morning
    Ive crunched the numbers and am declaring for November in the horrifying sum of 629.86

This does include a tesco spend of 163.86 which was primarily for christmas bits so really I suppose a spend of 466 but still way over my planned budget of 201

Although Im shocked at the total sum (and I was shocked at my spend last month), its a real eye opener and means that although I may have had a couple of months where analysing my spending has proved just how much Im wasting/spending on food, it means that I can do something about it now rather than continue to waste money at this ridiculous level.

Im going to have a think about my target spend for December and will post again later.

• sharronej
    • By sharronej 27th Nov 08, 6:25 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    Ive crunched the numbers and am declaring for
    Although Im shocked at the total sum (and I was shocked at my spend last month), its a real eye opener and means that although I may have had a couple of months where analysing my spending has proved just how much Im wasting/spending on food, it means that I can do something about it now rather than continue to waste money at this ridiculous level.

Im going to have a think about my target spend for December and will post again later.
    Originally posted by Flat Eric
    The point is that you are improving, it looks like you lost track in Oct but by Nov you know exactly what you have spent. I think December will be hard for everyone yet if you manage to pin down a realistic target you will have so much more of a chance...and you've already bought quite a bit for Christmas!

Good luck
    • sharronej
    • By sharronej 27th Nov 08, 6:27 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    Going to have to raise the budget for next month, we need some cheer as dd is being made redundant! - 250 for December Grocery Challenge. I've made the mincemeat and the cake but need to get the meat in and all the sundries.
    Originally posted by catznine
    Sorry to hear your news, I hope your husband manages to find something else quickly.
  • scotsaver
    Morning everyone - just wanted to say Welcome to all the Newbies, you'll soon be addicted like all of us are.

Also hugs to those that need them especially cw18 and MRSMC good luck with the Hospital stay.

Making some HM Chilli for Dinner tonight, a recipe from a friend of mine where you add Baked Beans, Kidney beans etc to bulk it out, not had it for ages so just the sort of warming dish we need when it's cold like this.

My new GC starts today as it's Payday so popping into Lidl's for a few bits as have friends coming over for Dinner on Saturday, just need a few starter bits as Main Course is going to be made with Ingredients from the Chest Freezer. I have managed to empty 2 Drawers so far so only 2 more to go and then I can stock up for Xmas.

Have a good day everyone.

EDIT:- Forgot to mention that I have made some Xmas Chutney this week, made with Oranges & Dried Apricots:-

5 Oranges Chopped(bought a SP bag from Asda for 87p with some leftover)
    500g Dried Apricots Chopped
    450g Sliced Onions
    450g Caster Sugar
    1 tsp Salt
    Half Tsp Ground Cloves
    1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
    Half Tsp Chilli Powder
    Half Tsp Ground Mace
    1 tsp Curry Powder
    1 tsp Mustard Seeds
    1 tsp Turmeric
    700ml Cider Vinegar (I used 2 x 350ml Bottles from Tesco at 46p a bottle)

Fry Mustard Seeds until they start to pop and then add the onions to fry for a couple of mins then add all the remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for about an hour and a half or until at the consistency you like. Let it cool slightly and then put into sterilised jars - should make approx 5 jars, I just used all different odd sized jars I had been saving so you may get more or less.
    Last edited by scotsaver; 27-11-2008 at 7:28 AM.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• pollysg
    • By pollysg 27th Nov 08, 7:40 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    pollysg
    November
    Hi! Can I please declare at 188 for November, rather over but closer than last month, and could you please put me down for 150 again for December.

Thank you
    Polly
    • Karb
    • By Karb 27th Nov 08, 9:29 AM
    • 777 Posts
    • 3,877 Thanks
    Karb
    Its going to be touch and go for me. I do calendar months so still have four days to go, and around 10 left if I want to hit my target.

I should be fine for hitting my petrol spend target. There's not much left in the tank but unless I have to make any significant unplanned journeys over the weekend I should have enough left to last me until the end of the month.

My grocery spend total includes all food spend (including meals out, takeaways, cups of coffee on the train etc) as well as all cleaning products, toiletries and medicines for 7 people, 1 dog, 2 rabbits and 13 fish. I'm quite pleased with my efforts because I was a fair bit over target last month. Hopefully its a sign that I'm getting into some good habits.

My spend also includes a few lunches that I've bought when I've had to travel for work purposes and can claim back on expenses. Hopefully these will be in my pay packet tomorrow - if so I'll deduct them from my total and this should mean that I'll come in slightly under target. Sometimes the payment doesn't go through in time though, in which case I'll probably end up slightly over target.

For December I'm setting myself 450 for groceries and 100 petrol to account for the extra food and travelling over Christmas.

Good luck everybody
    Debt free since December 2015. It can be done

• Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 27th Nov 08, 10:24 AM
    • 10,673 Posts
    • 55,462 Thanks
    Mooloo
    We are having problems with the Bread machine. Its not rising at all, so yesterday my planned NS day ment I had to buy a loaf of bread. Cheapest was 65p.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • ZLS1984
    I dnt use a bread machiene any more I was not happy with the quality. I do it by hand now its great for getting my anger out lol.

I am so happy today my lovely mum has bought me a slow cooker for Xmas and I think I might be able to get it early. Wooooooooooooohoooooooooooo
    Wins in 09 = A vodka cocktail kit thing lol, 150 Amazon voucher.
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 27th Nov 08, 11:44 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi everyone - just updated my signature and I am pleased to say that I made it this month by a comfortable margin - however, this was largely because we were away for a long weekend and ate out more than once though this came out of the holiday budget!

Anyway I am declaring at 275.78- under by 24.22

I am setting a budget of 350 for December to last from today till 31st. I have managed to save about 100 by putting a 1 a day away for Christmas (not everyday but nearly) since the end of the summer and I am going to use this for the Christmas groceries - though it will still count as coming out of the GC money. I will use my Nectar points to pay for the first shop in the New year, always a help in the post Christmas gloom!

Will see you all over in the December challenge. Good luck everyone.

Moniker
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 27th Nov 08, 11:48 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    I was looking for the December thread but I guess I am too early ! Anyway please put me down for 350 for Dec whoever is looking after the thread and good luck Mrs M with the hospital stay - hope all goes well for you.

love Moniker
    • sharronej
    • By sharronej 27th Nov 08, 12:41 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    We are having problems with the Bread machine. Its not rising at all, so yesterday my planned NS day ment I had to buy a loaf of bread. Cheapest was 65p.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    I used to have a wonderful b/m and then it broke and I bought a slightly smaller one but it can be a bit hit and miss - obviously you have checked your yeast is in date, I've always used good yeast and still had problems. I have however found out that if I throw all the dry ingrediants in and then the liquid and finally the yeast and leave it overnight to come on about 4 in the morning it always rises - thought it might be worth you trying.
    • russetred
    • By russetred 27th Nov 08, 12:48 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    I'm declaring at 333.70 thats 6.30 to add to my savings jar.I've been really good and every time I save any money on things I had to buy I put the extra in my jar which gets decanted into high interest account at the end of the month.I'm not sure what target for Dec,dont want to be too frugal and go over budget or too splurgy and get carried away! I'll go for 400and hope there's something left.All the best Mrs M for the hospital.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,054Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin