Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • N9eav
    • By N9eav 24th Nov 08, 4:50 AM
    • 4,671Posts
    • 26,420Thanks
    N9eav
    OS Daily Monday 24th Nov 2008
    • 24th Nov 08, 4:50 AM
    OS Daily Monday 24th Nov 2008 24th Nov 08 at 4:50 AM
    Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Monday 24rd of November. It is is an ‘over the garden fence’ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone is welcome; please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
    As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
    When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well” type start does just as well.

Morning. It looks cold, dark and windy out there today. I have work later and could have gone to Birmingham, but turned it down last night. It might have been nice to have an away trip, but then everything else I had planned in the office would have been cancelled.

So today is the big day. Is the Governement going to give us more money to spend? Like one called said on a radio phone in last night
    " If VAT was reduced by 2.5 % would all the restaurants and takeaways change their menus and bring the price of each meal down?" Well I think we know the answer to that question.

Are shops going to change the price of everything? I don't feel as though I will be going out spending anyway.

Well, I hope everyone has a good day.
    Last edited by N9eav; 24-11-2008 at 4:57 AM.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
Page 4
    • wannabe sybil
    • By wannabe sybil 24th Nov 08, 3:27 PM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    wannabe sybil
    Dearie, dearie me.

Not done anything since I last posted. Darling father will be here soon and I haven't done anything and the place is worse than anything.

And now little bear is getting a bit grumbly so it is play time and probably snack time and I still haven't done anything.

Dear heart usually prefers me to spend time with him of a evening (which is marvellously flattering) but won't get things done then.

Bethebee would have redecorated the entire house by now (I am so much in awe of you Beth).

Well, I cannot claw back the time so I am definitely going to sign off and then go and get little bear and then just get on with things.

Honest.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
    • Soapy955
    • By Soapy955 24th Nov 08, 3:37 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Soapy955
    Hi everyone!
    Still no sign of the little one. I just don't get it. It's my second baby, I thought they were supposed to be early, my first baby was five days early!! :confused:

I spent the morning going through old VHS tapes that were piled up under the coffee table. We never watch them so I thought "Get rid of the clutter and bin them!". I have tried offering a load of old used VHS tapes on Freecycle but got no response at all so unless anyone knows of a charity or something that could use them, they will be binned. I can't believe how many old episodes of Neighbours and Home and Away I had on tape! Some are from the eighties!! I still have loads to get through but I managed to get rid of seven more of the tapes.

I also went through the freezer today. DH was saying we were out of frozen veg and said he'd go and buy some more. I know he has a tendency of opening a new packet before finishing the old one and on rummaging through I found THREE opened bags of veg! I got a freezer bag and combined all three into that so now DH has no need to go and buy some more. I also found about three other things that had two opened bags so having combined those too, the freezer is looking a little tidier, and I got some clothes pegs back for my peg bag!! Did any of that make sense???

I have clothes on the airer that I need to put away and washing up to do so had better get on with that as my Mum will be bringing my nephew round for a visit later. She picked DD up from school and took her home to her house so the visiting cousin could see her for a while. They don't see each other very often. Infact, he didn't even know I was pregnant 'til other mums at my DD's school asked my Mum if I'd had the baby yet!! It's a long story but I don't have contact with his parents anymore!

I feel a bit naughty cos I put the heating on this morning and completely forgot about it and suddenly I felt stifled with the heat. I then realised I'd left it on for hours! It's off now though.

Hugs to everyone, especially Penpin. I was looking forward to reading more of your posts now you are out of hospital. Please come back. There are a lot more nice people on here than there are bullies. xxx

Thanks for reading the ramblings of this hormonal woman who can't wait to just get back to normal!!
    Last edited by Soapy955; 24-11-2008 at 3:39 PM.
    I'm so sorry if you were enjoying this thread and mine is the last post!!

I seem to have a nasty habit of killing threads!
    • twink
    • By twink 24th Nov 08, 3:47 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    Catznine sorry to hear about your dd being made redundant, its good she is at home though and doesnt have to worry about rent and the like

just read your post Soapy, poor you all this waiting but it will all be worthwhile
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 24th Nov 08, 3:51 PM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Catznine - (((hugs))) to your DD.

Sybil - don't be too hard on yourself, please. Sometimes you just have to let things go in the house.

Kathy
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
    • redruby
    • By redruby 24th Nov 08, 3:52 PM
    • 7,060 Posts
    • 99,192 Thanks
    redruby
    Soapy sounds to me like you might be nesting , hopefully not long now
  • Esor
    Hugs to all who need or want them x

Sorry to hear there's been some nastyness on here, not been reading long and I thought you were all such a nice bunch! It's horrible to get bullied, I think it's best to follow that comment about people who mind not mattering!

I've been really lazy today, had the WM and DW on but that's about it... so now I am feeling guilty and fancied making a pie but then realised that I don't know how to make pastry. I had a search of this forum but I couldn't seem to find anything. Anyone want to offer me a nice easy recipe that I could get on with?

Looking forward to this VAT cut, though the thought of all the people in shops going around and re-pricing things seems bizzare, just can't imagine it happening that quickly, still we'll see next week I suppose.

Further hugs for everyone. It's freezing here, we've just had some nice loud hail stones too so wrap up one anyone who's got to head out!
    • wannabe sybil
    • By wannabe sybil 24th Nov 08, 4:21 PM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    wannabe sybil
    I am just reheating some home made soup for tea, to have with bread from the breadmaker.

I would never have had the confidence to do this before (or the frozen soup) so want to say thank you.

Little bear is now stuffing his face with a banana!

Looking back on today, I think I am with Scarlett - tomorrow is another day.

Hugs to all

Catznine - sorry to hear about your darling daughter. I do hope something turns up soon.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
    • Soapy955
    • By Soapy955 24th Nov 08, 4:33 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Soapy955

Little bear is now stuffing his face with a banana!
    Originally posted by wannabe sybil

Wow, I wish my DD would eat as much as Little Bear! She has always been a picker. She came up to me yesterday and said she was hungry so I was thrilled and said "What would you like then?"
    She replied "Lemonade and sweeties please!" I don't think so!!!

Oh and regarding the VAT cut, when they cut the mortgage rate by 1.5% recently the media said that banks would probably not pass on the full interest cut. I was thrilled the other day to receive a letter from my Building Society saying I was getting the full discount. Every little helps!!
    I'm so sorry if you were enjoying this thread and mine is the last post!!

I seem to have a nasty habit of killing threads!
    • morwenna
    • By morwenna 24th Nov 08, 4:37 PM
    • 843 Posts
    • 4,587 Thanks
    morwenna
    Well, I am quietly satisfied with myself today

Didn't do the half of what I had hoped, but I did blow the cobwebs off the metallic triangle-shaped thing in the kitchen & have done two pairs of curtains and several blouses. Actually, that isn't an exaggeration (sp?) as DSis stayed over and needed to iron something, she asked me to get the ironing board out and there was a massive cobweb on the back of it

The spiders here are very productive

I have also cleaned the cooker & oven and thoroughly cleaned the fridge, shelves, seals, the lot Hopefully a few pre Christmas *nasty* jobs are now averted.

I hope you reconsider PP as I for one would miss you

Edited to say - DD2 has just rung to say the MOD may contact me as she has had a lot of security forms to fill out for her new job. Apparently they have even asked about my previous names and addresses and partners

I do hope I don't end up on the criminally boring register
    Last edited by morwenna; 24-11-2008 at 4:42 PM.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 24th Nov 08, 4:46 PM
    • 10,958 Posts
    • 120,486 Thanks
    LameWolf
    The spiders here are very productive
    Originally posted by morwenna
    I thought it was just ours that build without planning permission.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
  • mummysaver
    Esor - to make a basic pastry use half fat to flour, so 4oz of butter/stork/marg to 8oz of plain flour, mix so it looks like bread crumbs then add in v cold water a little at a time till it binds together and forms a ball. Pop in a bag or covered bowl and chill in the fridge for half an hour before rolling out and using.
  • Esor
    Thank you! I eventually found that recipe on here and have some pies cooking in the oven now.

I didn't add any water as it was really moist, I also didn't leave it in the fridge...thought it was a bit sticky and couldn't roll it properly, lol.

Oh well, my OH and I are awaiting the results now! I only used the pastry for the base and breadcrumbs for the top. There's always something in the freezer if it goes too wrong

Will try the fridge bit next time though! Actually had a little left over that is in the fridge now so might use that tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes!

BTW the spiders here used to love building massive webs until we got our cat. She loves hunting spiders and flies, handy and kind of OS
    • morwenna
    • By morwenna 24th Nov 08, 5:20 PM
    • 843 Posts
    • 4,587 Thanks
    morwenna

BTW the spiders here used to love building massive webs until we got our cat. She loves hunting spiders and flies, handy and kind of OS
    Originally posted by Esor
    Okay, there are five cats here - I have made them all read your post
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 24th Nov 08, 5:29 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 49,541 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Evening all,

Very cold here but a beautiful sunset so that cheered me up.

Pen Pin...please stay with us, some people just don't mean to be nasty, they are born that way! There are too many of us who would miss you, so please think about it.

Sybil....thanks for the laugh, I really think that you are wonderful and whatever that new medication is, keep taking it! Will your dear parent worry about the state of your house...I always say that if people come to see my house they needn't bother, but if they come to see me/us, they are very welcome! Don't compare yourself to Beth, I reckon that she is as good as any three 'ordinary' women.

Ulick spent the morning in the day hospital to-day, they do a follow up check on all aspects of his health, feel that he is getting a wonderful service, in spite of what people say about our health service, it is working very well for us at present, so won't hear a bad word said!

Made a quick pasta when we came home and we have just had tea...me a ham sandwich and Ulick and DGS2 some sausages and tomatoes...not sure what I am doing tomorrow, maybe some fish, have some mackerel in outside freezer which should be used up so maybe will do that with broccoli and mustard sauce and mashed spuds...not great at meal planning, just make sure that there is enough in every week to provide seven dinners, seems to be working and have lots of store cupboard stuff being used up when I have extra people.

Hugs to all in need or want, welcome to newbies and congratulations to all who are celebrating.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • halight
    • By halight 24th Nov 08, 5:36 PM
    • 3,587 Posts
    • 28,845 Thanks
    halight
    Evening all,

I hope that you are all well.
    I had the buget on this afternoon
    I dont know what you all thourt about it but i was not imprested at all. The twins were not keen as all thay did was screem all the way through it!!!!
    I think that we will all end up beening a lot worst off for this lot! I dont hold much hope of it working. and its going to be us paying it all back!!!

It was very cold here this morning on my way to work. but i was lucy as i did not get wet

We are having beef stir fry tonight use use up the left overs from our dinner yesterday.
    Im still doing my online servays and still keeping my spending dairy.

anyway i hope that everyone is keeping warm and well

enjoy your eving all
  • MrsMW
    Evening All
    Not a bad day today, washing dry outside and I made 15 fishcakes using salmon and tuna that seemed to have been dead in the freezer for ages. Guess what we had for dinner? Anyway that's at least 3 meals stashed away.
    Pen-Pin, I don't know what happened but please reconsider, I shall miss you.
    Sybil, I want some of your pills please.
    Wolf, I don't do meal planning either, I think I have similar problems to you, it depends how well I am as to whether I cook or not. I tend to make a list of meals for 10 days or so and then just choose on the day.
    I've forgotton what else I meant to say. so I'll love you and leave you.
    Enjoy the evening.
  • Hardup Hester
    Evening all
    Don't know what's happened, but sorry to hear someone has upset PP, funny how bullies always pick on those who aren't able through ill health or similar to stick up for themselves.
    I'm making soup again, this time with all the bit's the lodger left in the fridge, so it's Minestroni (sp).
    Mrs Degree was far too busy today to come & help me, what a surprise.
    I've had a quick look at the budget, I don't think it will affect me much one way or the other.
    Have a good evening.
    Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • floss2
    ......Bought a couple of inexpensive plant mist-sprays on Saturday, for the purpose of putting ready-diluted Stardrops, one bottle in the kitchen and one in the bathroom, as I think it'll make life easier to just spray'n'wipe. Anything that makes life housework easier has to be a good thing.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    LW, I've recycled a couple of used spray bottles from the stuff I used to buy before I saw the light!

Catznine - sorry to hear about your DD - hope she finds something soon.

Morwenna - do you think the cats will take any notice? :rolleyes:

Soapy - in 18 years time you'll be wishing you'd hung on to Junior, believe me! You'll have a newborn soon enough, when he's "cooked" as my DS1 said about his little brother!

PenPin - Hope things settle down soon, and hope the operation achieved what it was hoped for

Not much OS'ing going on - there was leftover sausage, mash & kale in the fridge, so bubbly squeaky tea for me! AND still enough to make bubbly squeak for the freezer

Got a function on for work tomorrow evening so won't get much to eat (unless we can hide a plate of canapes away for the staff!) - think it will be toast & h/m jam when I get in!

Hugs to all who would like one,
    Love Floss x
  • Esor
    Morwenna - My cat is a bit strange in a lot of ways, she (actually he but we got used to using she before we knew ) likes to play a variation of fetch and is scared of her own shadow! She will only come out to see people once they have been to our house a few times and she knows them, otherwise she hides behind the sofa or in the bedroom. Very brave when it comes to flies though (she launches herself across the room and into things) and also spiders, which is handy coz I'm not. She's also quite well trained (I've been told) for a cat, she usually comes if I call for her and does most of what we tell her to do. Oh and she's allergic to whiskas food and also still hasn't got the hang of balance completely!

My pies came out really well I thought. OH just didn't get on with the flavour for some reason though so he's having back up freezer convenience food and I'll have his for lunch tomorrow coz I thought it was really tasty. We both agreed that my first attempt at pastry had come out really well though, good texture.

Decided to have a really cheap week this week, only need to get a few ingredients in to make a cake for a friends birthday (normally I would just buy one and take it). Had a look in the cupboards and the freezer and we should be ok for the week.

Hope everyone's ok tonight. Hugs for all who want/need them and thanks for all your support and reading about my cooking exploits. My OH was laughing tonight about how he's gonna have to go through all this experimentation with me learning to cook and then the same when we have children
  • mags50
    oooo what a flippen day I've had
    the oil boiler gave up on us....its a stand-by usually as we have a big straw/wood burner which is the main heating supply...hubby fills it up in the morning and then again at night and it keeps us toasty and does all the heating and hot water....we're lucky as the local tree surgeon drops off big lumps of tree trunks that can't be chopped up...and household rubbish goes on it as well...so it doesn't cost a lot to run.
    Anyway back to the oil boiler...plumber came to look at it...took half of it away and it needs some new parts which are on order....then the man came to change the leccy meter (apparantly they have to be done every few years)...so why do they pick the coldest day??!! :rolleyes:....so even though things were sorted this morning...the house is only just warm tonight with the staw burner....sorry but I aren't one of the 'have you put your heating on yet?' challengers....
    I've been stood at the sink prepping cauli's, carrots, parsnips, sprouts, cabbages and swede from 4 veg boxes that our friend dropped off last w/e before we went away....I forgot to cancel them and so ended up with the ones that my other friends should have had! Anyways...they're all rammed into the freezer now....rammed being the operative word....lol....we'll not need any more whilst Spring at this rate!
    Checked my FaceBook earlier...and one of our DD's thinks her DS2 might have chickenpox....DS1 has had them already, but her DD1 and DS3 hasn't....so she's not looking forward to them all going down with it.... anyway we'll have to see.
    Otherwise I've had a perfect day....beans on toast for dinner and left-over HM lasagne and chips for tea...
    Going to go make myself a big cuppa, get my jama's on and wait for Spooks to come on the tele tonight...I love that programme.
    Hope everyone has a peaceful and warm evening...
    p.s. PLEASE don't go Pen-Pin...I love to read your news
    p.p.s. thanks to all that have added me to their FB's...there's nothing more I like than to show my scrummy grandchildren off!!
    take care
    xx
    A family that eats together, stays together

NSD 50/365
    GC JAN £259.63/£400 FEB £346.41/£350.00 MAR £212.57/£300 APR £1/£250
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,168Posts Today

4,456Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin