Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    chardonnay
    xmas dinner help
    • 13th Dec 04, 12:07 PM
    xmas dinner help 13th Dec 04 at 12:07 PM
    hi, wonder if anyone can help?

we have decided to spend less this xmas on the dinner as we usually spend a fortune. we thought by everyone having the same starter it would save money, be less hassle and we have two fussy little boys. we decided to do chicken strips with various dips. the boys love the kind you get from pizzahut. problem is i haven't been able to find anything similar in the shops

i had a brainwave that it might be easier to do ourselves. could anyone tell me what i would need to do? it's in a batter (crispy)

could it be prepared the day before and cooked on xmas day or would it need to be from scratch?

anyone have a good recipe for this ?

also does anyone have a recipe to make a honey and mustard dip?

thanks in advance x
Page 1
  • Lucie
    • 13th Dec 04, 12:32 PM
    Re: xmas dinner help
    • 13th Dec 04, 12:32 PM
    You could make a tempura batter - add very cold sparkling water (cheap kind is fine - 15p/2 litres from Tesco sort of thing) to plain flour & whisk to make a smooth batter - about the consistency of double cream (sorry, I'm not very good with quantities)
    Cut your chicken into strips, dip in the batter & deep fry until crispy. It will have to be done at the last minute though.
    As an alternative you could try breadcrumbed chicken strips. Cut your chicken into strips, dip in plain flour, then beaten egg, then breadcrumbs. You can add a bit of finely grated parmesan cheese to the breadcrumbs for a cheesy flavour. you could do this the night before or early in the morning & keep in the fridge until you need to cook them. You can drizzle in oil & bake in the oven or shallow fry, so a bit more versatile.
    As for the dip, have you tried mixing runny honey with a bit of wholegrain mustard? Experiment until you think it tastes right. OR you could just add honey & grain mustard to mayonnaise.
    Enjoy your christmas dinner - I hate it when everyone wants to eat different things, it 's such a pain.
    • By 16011996 13th Dec 04, 12:37 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 13th Dec 04, 12:37 PM
    • 13th Dec 04, 12:37 PM
    that sounds yum lucie, will try that, my kids like chicken in batter.

good luck with your xmas dinner,

• By 16011996 13th Dec 04, 2:12 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 13th Dec 04, 2:12 PM
    • 13th Dec 04, 2:12 PM
    i got honey and grain mustard in asda, is yummy.
  • Lucie
    • 13th Dec 04, 3:13 PM
    • 13th Dec 04, 3:13 PM
    tempura batter

This recipe says to add an egg too. I never have, but you could experiment.

I actually meant add some honey and some wholegrain mustatd to mayo - sorry if it came across wrong.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 13th Dec 04, 4:45 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 13th Dec 04, 4:45 PM
    • 13th Dec 04, 4:45 PM
    i made chicken nuggets by coating the chicken pieces in egg, then shaking them in a carrier bag with breadcrumbs until coated. Then deep fried them, they were great ;D
    • By 16011996 13th Dec 04, 5:53 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 13th Dec 04, 5:53 PM
    • 13th Dec 04, 5:53 PM
    oooh, great idea ssaver. i hate shop bought chick nuggets.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 13th Dec 04, 6:29 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 13th Dec 04, 6:29 PM
    • 13th Dec 04, 6:29 PM
    just thought make sure its a carrier with no holes in it otherwise you will get sprinkled in breadcrumbs too
    • By 16011996 13th Dec 04, 6:31 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 13th Dec 04, 6:31 PM
    • 13th Dec 04, 6:31 PM
    done that before bashing digestives for cheesecake, went everywhere. ;D

kids did it once with choc digestives wrapped in a tea towel, that made a mess too.
  • Edinburghlass
    i got honey and grain mustard in asda, is yummy.

Sounds good I have always had to mix the honey and the wholegrain mustard together, must look out for this.
  • chardonnay
    looking forward to trying it cheers.

does anyone know how to mae beer batter - my dp loves beer battered chicken than we get from a certain restaurant. it would be great if i could do this at home
  • Lucie
    beer batter

It's an American recipe, so involves cups
  • chardonnay
    thanks for the beer recipe.

just a quick question with the chicken stirps would you do this with cooked or raw chicken?

if you deep fried raw chicken would it cook properly?
    • Glad
    • By Glad 13th Dec 04, 9:41 PM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    slightly off topic but I stir honey/grain mustard into my mixed french beans and carrot strips for xmas dinner ;D
  • halloweenqueen
    Just a thought- all kids seem to like those bernard matthews roasts and netto have the turkkey leg roasts for 99p. If they like a yorkshire pud and a couple of carrots you're away!
    If you look on www.recipezaar.com for funnel cakes that batter actually makes a very good batter for chicken almost like the chicken balls you get from the takeaway -one tip is to deep fry them fairly slowly at first.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 13th Dec 04, 9:42 PM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    thanks for the beer recipe.

just a quick question with the chicken stirps would you do this with cooked or raw chicken?

if you deep fried raw chicken would it cook properly?
    yes you can use raw chicken
    tastes lovely deep fried
    • By 16011996 14th Dec 04, 8:38 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    thanks glad, i was wondering if you had to cook it first too.
  • chardonnay
    just wanted to say thanks for all your suggestions and that it went really well.

boys love the chicken in batter so much we've made it again since plus are going to try to do our own version of pakora ourselves using the recipe with some adjustments. i'll let you know how i get on.
    • tiff
    • By tiff 30th Dec 04, 1:34 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    I'm sorry but it just has to be said, it beats me why you had to have chicken nuggets for part of your Christmas dinner!
  • chardonnay
    we didn't have chicken nuggets : we had chicken breast cut into strips and done in tempura batter with home made dips.

main reason was so we didn't have to make umpteen different starters due to fussy guests.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,601Posts Today

7,746Users online

Martin's Twitter