Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Oct 08, 8:48 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    November 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Oct 08, 8:48 AM
    November 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Oct 08 at 8:48 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and 6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-10-2008 at 8:03 AM.
Page 34
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 17th Nov 08, 3:50 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Hi there, I've lost my job and in debt. I posted on another site an SOA and the members recommended I post on here as I spend £1,000 in Tesco's. I'm not a silly woman and I really do resent every penny I spend in there!
    Originally posted by distressedpleasehelp
    Hi there You've had some great suggestions, so I'm going to merge this thread with the Grocery challenge. That's the best place to get help and advice on keeping your grocery budget to a level you can afford

Best of luck, Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 17th Nov 08, 4:51 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Well Iv'e had a great money-saving and spending day! Went to Mr T armed with vouchers which totalled £7.45 off my bill. One was the £5 on a £30 spend. Didnt need much(well nothing really) but ds wanted some party booze and dh wanted some booze too so it topped up the bill. I dont include booze tho and ds paid for his own. Got the 3 lots of meat for £10 -2 chickens and some "collar steak(pork) not had that before but it looks good for the slowcooker. Had some daily express vouchers and OK mag voucher. Bought 3 more DE papers for Waitrose later in the day. Spent £12.26 on food-the rest was booze or household.
    [QUOTE=Ishtar;15923737]
    Sadly for us, there's no Lidl or Aldi here - currently the only other alternatives are Waitrose and Sainsbury's, which are both more expensive than Tesco.

If you're not online shopping, take a calculator with you...yep, it might look sad, but who cares?

I wish you luck OP!
    D[/QUOTE

Came home and cut out coupons and went to Waitrose where I spent £6.35 in vouchers and a total of £17.01 on food!
    Now I get many bargains in Waitrose and some things cheaper than tesco.
    I got some nice blue cheese today reduced to £4.99 per kilo. 2 nice pieces for £2Good offers-usually get cat food and t rolls there plus reduced bread. Give them a look an hour before closing time.

I just wanted to ask - how do you find out when they mark down the bargains - is it just a case of hanging around until you see someone with a price-label gun in their hand?
    Originally posted by sarahs999
    All the shops vary but an hour before closing especially on a Sunday or Bank holiday seems to workk for me. If you dont get lucky keep trying a different time of day until you have the shop sussed!

Have now got a chicken in my slowcooker for tomorrow with a tin of value s/s sauce and a tin of stirfry veg(5p short dated) . Tonight 2 of us are having the peppered mackerel I bought reduced yesterday with some pots and mixed veg. I may be tempted to start on the chicken myself-DS will want something non meat at a guess and he can use up the baked beans I have in the fridge. So all on different dishes tonight to use what is in the fridge.
    Just cancelled my Asda delivery which was booked for Weds-no longer needed. Total food spend so far this week is £52.22 and Im not sure whether I will add to it or not. I dont need to but if some good vouchers come my way I will stock up on bread and milk.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • tirlittan
    • By tirlittan 17th Nov 08, 5:16 PM
    • 3,392 Posts
    • 8,964 Thanks
    tirlittan
    Haven't updated yet this month, but just went through my receipts and so far used £60.71. Might get bit tight towards the end of the month as have really no food in the house and need toiletries as well. Well, I'll try my best to keep to the budget.
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts!
    • keld
    • By keld 17th Nov 08, 5:48 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    keld
    I am carrying on with my spending diary, which is making interesting reading. In line with my new OS ways, does anyone have any ideas for using up:
    1 turnip (swede to those of you in the south)
    500kg parsnips
    1kg carrots
    half a butternut squash.

My only idea so far is roasted vegetables, but that would leave the turnip which needs to be used today.
    Mortgage £70,000 £1
    MF date 31/08/2021 6th February 2012

• Julimk
    I did it. My £30 ish Mr T shop cost me £10.97 once I’d used as many coupons as I could. And my trolley looked so healthy with all that fresh f&v, beans & lentils!

The beef stew was in the SC since this morning, so there were lovely smells wafting passed as I was trying to work. It’s done now, as are the chilli chicken & chicken and leek stroganoff and sausage casserole. Sausage & lentils nearly ready and as I had loads of sausages have made toad in the hole too.

Earlier this year I bought Nigel Slater’s ‘The 30-minute Cook’ (even though it came out in 1994). It is becoming a firm favourite because, as the title suggests, nothing takes very long, most of the recipes are for 2 (there are only the 2 of us) and he is very fluid about ingredients & quantities. The Chicken with Garlic, Cider & Cream is more or less from there.

Blanch 8 cloves of garlic in boiling water for 4 mins (they will go pale & soft & just pop out of the skins when squeezed, and the taste will be much milder). Heat some oil in a pan, add a knob of butter. Fry 2 chicken breasts for 2-3 mins, turn down the heat, add the garlic cloves & cook gently for 15-20 mins until chicken cooked. Take chicken out & put 100ml cider in. Bring to boil, mash the garlic into the cider. When most of the cider has evaporated add 75-100ml cream (any), salt & pepper. Return the chicken, cook for 2-3 mins & serve.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 17th Nov 08, 6:10 PM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 29,679 Thanks
    thriftylass
    I am carrying on with my spending diary, which is making interesting reading. In line with my new OS ways, does anyone have any ideas for using up:
    500kg parsnips
    1kg carrots
    half a butternut squash.

My only idea so far is roasted vegetables, but that would leave the turnip which needs to be used today.
    Originally posted by keld
    This would make a nice big batch soup (freeze some for later?), maybe not all the parsnips and carrots though, I would roast some of them.
    NST Oct 19
    SFD 3/20 spends £314/520
    Exercise 8/18
    Debt - all 0% 414 to go from 5290
    DFD 12/2019 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 94600 (07/19) OP 1910
  • JennyBee
    This would make a nice big batch soup (freeze some for later?), maybe not all the parsnips and carrots though, I would roast some of them.
    Originally posted by thriftylass

Damn! That was going to be my suggestion!! Soup is the last stop for a lot of my veg nowadays! Also, if you're going to put butternut squash in a soup, the easiest way I've found to deal with it is to roast it in the oven in quarters with a little oil until it's soft, then you can scoop it out. Saves all that awful peeling time and also adds a little extra flavour!

As for all the useful ideas that have been brought up previously, my only one to add is that when I do my meal plan, I try and include as little time spent in the shops as possible. For example, I won't put a stir fry right at the end of the month because it'll mean that I have to go and buy fresh veg a couple of days before we do our big monthly shop anyway. We basically do a big shop around pay day, then a smaller one about mid month (for ham for OH's sandwiches, veg etc). In between we limit it to milk and bread. We've now got a couple of cartons of long life milk in the cupboard in case of cereal emergencies to avoid the dreaded rush to the shops!

So basically, the last week of my month looks something like this...
    Chicken Supreme (packet sauce, sorry!), Pasta Splodge (pasta, tomatoes, bacon bits with cheese on top), HM soup (freezer), chilli & rice, beef casserole...then it's pay day next monday which means I get to have my stir fry because we will have been shopping!!!

Also, I always make sure that we've got a bag of peas in the freezer and a couple of tins of sweetcorn and new potatoes in the cupboard. Cheating i know, but on days that we're running late from work it means that we're still getting some veg! And we're less tempted to eat rubbish!

Sorry - I've waffled I am by no means an expert as you can see from my GC (and there's only 2 of us at the moment!) but take your time and you'll soon be able to incorporate a lot of things without thinking about them.
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 £79.04/£150
  • MrsMcK
    Hi all,

Just added my recipts and have £22.50 left for the rest of the month I hope that I don't need much as freezer full of food but there is always something I have forgotten. Hope everyone elses month is going well and finish under budget.

xx
    GC Spent - NGC £300 / £
    2 adults 3 children 1 dog
  • TheBees
    Had a big delivery from Mr S today and so we have £30 to last to the end of the month.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • rosieben
    Bestest big news is.......we are moving to Darwin,Australia in a few weeks visa's awaiting. ...
    Originally posted by annelouise
    Hi Anne, I was wondering if you are ok, there's a lot of scarey news around now for businesses!

Congrats on moving to Oz; my dd and her family emigrated last year and they all love it! they tell me that planning christmas on the beach is still a bit weird though

I hope you'll still visit and post from Oz Good luck

...does anyone have any ideas for using up:
    500kg parsnips
    1kg carrots
    half a butternut squash. ... .
    That list is just screaming veggie stew and dumplings to me
    Last edited by rosieben; 17-11-2008 at 8:54 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • gillaman
    Not posting much, but I am sticking to OS money saving, e.g. making my own bread, soups etc. I started emptying my freezer, but it's getting full again. I also made one of the tortilla recipes on here for lunch yesterday. Had them with home made chilli spread and salad. Yummy. Going to add another £16.90 to my total for this month so haven't got a lot left to spend. Might just manage, though I need some fruit and marg. I have the makings of dinners pretty well to the end of the month though.

Edit: Just edited my signature, good thing I did - only £12.80 left.
    Last edited by gillaman; 17-11-2008 at 10:25 PM.
    Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
  • JennyBee
    ok, I have a challenge for the new year....from January I want to get our GC down to £100 a month. Now I know it's possible because you lot already do it! I'm assuming that once the baby is born I'll be able to breastfeed (big assumption I know!) and that it'll be in reusable nappies for most of the time so "hopefully" the fact that there is a baby about shouldn't actually increase our grocery spend too much.
    Basically, being able to do this will make maternity leave pay a little easier to handle and also mean that I shouldn't (fingers crossed) need to go back to work full time but can manage on a few evenings and 1 full day at the weekend working.

We already meal plan and we don't have takeaways. We already have money going into separate accounts each month to cover yearly things like MOT, car tax, caravan insurance etc (not necessary but cheap holidays!) I'm desperately trying to work out where we can cut back without being unrealistic but I just end up staring at my budget spreadsheet without getting anywhere!

Is there anything really obvious that I'm missing?

I guess if all else fails I just have to hope the OH gets a massive payrise in the next year!
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 £79.04/£150
  • rosieben
    ok, I have a challenge for the new year....from January I want to get our GC down to £100 a month. Now I know it's possible because you lot already do it! ...
    Originally posted by JennyBee
    £50 is a massive reduction, a third of your current GC spend

I'd suggest that you drop your total gradually; so, maybe take £10 off next month and see how you do, and if that works, reduce another £10 in January.

.... and I have my finger crossed for that massive payrise for your oh

• kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 18th Nov 08, 6:35 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    Also, if you're going to put butternut squash in a soup, the easiest way I've found to deal with it is to roast it in the oven in quarters with a little oil until it's soft, then you can scoop it out. Saves all that awful peeling time and also adds a little extra flavour!
    I never bother peeling butternut squash, either for soup or roasting to eat. The skin goes lovely and caramelised.

If we are having it for something that does require peeling.eg.risotto, then I save the peelings to chuck in my next batch of soup!

Hope this hasnt come across as pushy, was just wanting to let people know you can eat the skin.
    X
    Last edited by kiwichick; 18-11-2008 at 9:02 AM.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 18th Nov 08, 8:32 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    ok, I have a challenge for the new year....from January I want to get our GC down to £100 a month. Now I know it's possible because you lot already do it! I'm assuming that once the baby is born I'll be able to breastfeed (big assumption I know!) and that it'll be in reusable nappies for most of the time so "hopefully" the fact that there is a baby about shouldn't actually increase our grocery spend too much.
    Basically, being able to do this will make maternity leave pay a little easier to handle and also mean that I shouldn't (fingers crossed) need to go back to work full time but can manage on a few evenings and 1 full day at the weekend working.

We already meal plan and we don't have takeaways. We already have money going into separate accounts each month to cover yearly things like MOT, car tax, caravan insurance etc (not necessary but cheap holidays!) I'm desperately trying to work out where we can cut back without being unrealistic but I just end up staring at my budget spreadsheet without getting anywhere!

I guess if all else fails I just have to hope the OH gets a massive payrise in the next year!
    Hi there Jenny,
    You have the right approach re breastfeeding- assume it will go well, and that you WILL perservere for the often first grueling week (s), but have a little small inclination how much you will have to spend if you do end up going down the formula route. When bf'ing you will maybe eat a little more, you are supposed to, and be drinking plenty (although tap water is free!), now would be a good time to think of easy and nutritious snacks to stock up on, for you. Also maybe do a little extra batch cooking so that you and DH don't have to face making meals as well as looking after bubs. For snacks things like ryvita/oatcake with cheese and tomato, beans on toast, cereal and milk etc are good ones and easy to do. We ate a lot of simple HM pizza too, and soups as they are easy to make/heat, yet good for you. Ok, hope this does not sound patronising .
    Once bubs is on solids then you can make your own easily and cheaply, sweet pots, carrots, butternut squash etc, and porridge for brekkie etc (porridge good for you too). I would say just have a small contingency/baby surprise fund, JUST IN CASE, and other than that good luck.
    x
  • mummy2mygirls

Hello and congrats on the new baby, we have no3 due in March. I would agree with some of the comments that have already been said. I was very unfortunate and just didnt get on with breast feeding with both my girls but i will give it a go again and hope to do better this time. just incase it doesnt work i used to spend about £6 a big pot of formular and it would last about a week. I am planning on trying to get some reusable nappies as i believe they will help cut costs.......
    anyway my main point was to try and batch cook some meals in the freezer for after baby is born as you really might not feel like cooking sometimes. I plan on making lots that i can just get out and re heat as then we can still eat nice and healthy as last time we did resort to take aways more often then normal as i really didnt feel up to it! also if available take any offers you can, my mum will often offer for us to come for dinner etc, helps loads....
    when Breast feeding eat a little more to help the milk come through and drink lots! good luck and i hope you do well with the breast feeding.
    xx
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100

mummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.
    • keld
    • By keld 18th Nov 08, 10:07 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    keld
    I never bother peeling butternut squash, either for soup or roasting to eat. The skin goes lovely and caramelised.

If we are having it for something that does require peeling.eg.risotto, then I save the peelings to chuck in my next batch of soup!

Hope this hasnt come across as pushy, was just wanting to let people know you can eat the skin.
    X
    Originally posted by kiwichick
    I didn't know that and I love butternut squash.

Thanks everyone. I made soup and will do roast veggies tonight. I liked the idea of veggie stew and dumplings - but how do you make dumpings?
    Mortgage £70,000 £1
    MF date 31/08/2021 6th February 2012

• rosieben
    ... I liked the idea of veggie stew and dumplings - but how do you make dumpings?
    I use the recipe on the suet packet, I think its half suet to flour, season and mix with water then drop spoonfuls into the stew pan about 15/20 mins before serving.

• Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 18th Nov 08, 10:15 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    I think it's an appropriate time to post the GC guidelines again Please keep the thread on topic, or Pink-winged and I may need to come and prune some posts

Penny. x

Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?

This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the
    Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • WelshWoofer
    Morning all!
    Sorry I've not been around much this month - I have been travelling a lot with work and not had much internet access.

Anyway, this weekend Mr S delivered my "big" shop - came to £69 and was late so got a £10 late delivery voucher for the next shop. I forgot a few things and one or two things were undelivered (I don't usually like the substitutes they provide so don't request them) so a quick trip to Mr Ts followed with an £11 spend - so a total of £80 spent this weekend. The freezer and cupboards are bursting now though - there's enough meat and fish to last at least 2 weeks (probably 3) and plenty of veggie stuff for me.
    I hopefully won't need much more than bread, milk, cheese and F&V for the rest of the month - which I've just realised is only a week and a half (and this weeks stuff is already bought) so will hopefully stick to the budget for the first time in a good while!

I have to do next weeks meal plan - there's lots of meals in it's just a case of planning who's having what and when to try to maximise the stores we have.

I also seem to have enough toiletries to last until December but may need toilet paper and one or two cleaning items.

I'll be very happy if I can economise a bit this month and put it towards Xmas food spends next month (I have the tribe staying with us for 3 days so feeding 6 instead of 2 and a dog! )
    I have some Mr T vouchers that add up to about £15 to use and a Mr S online £10 voucher that I have to check whether there's a minmium spend (although I don't think there is - fingers crossed). So maybe already have about £25ish to put towards the mega shop due for Xmas! My mum usually contributes with about £50 worth of Mr T stamps too so hopefully I can stick to an actual spend (cash) of about £40:confused: .

Anyway, the sig is updated and I'm quietly optimistic......
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

2,836Users online

Martin's Twitter