Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 30th Jun 04, 5:46 PM
    • 4,448Posts
    • 21,699Thanks
    VickyA
    Baking recipes - scones etc
    • 30th Jun 04, 5:46 PM
    Baking recipes - scones etc 30th Jun 04 at 5:46 PM
    Does anyone know of a website/good books that have recipes for cakes, scones etc? I've recently started baking my own cakes, and my boyfriend is getting a bit fed up of the banana bread and tea bread that are in my repertoire. I'm quite a novice at this lark, but would like to try to bake scones and try to wean my dear boyfriend off the Tracker bars that he insists on buying at great expense! Any ideas? Or is there another thread I should be posting it on?

Thanks for the help in advance.

VickyA
Page 1
  • cathy
    • 30th Jun 04, 8:13 PM
    Re: Baking recipes - scones etc
    • 30th Jun 04, 8:13 PM
    http://www.lostparadise.com/katie/scones.html

http://www.victoriana.com/library/cake.html
  • heldaz
    • 30th Jun 04, 10:07 PM
    • 30th Jun 04, 10:07 PM
    Hi

this is a recipe i use for scones, its easy to make and very tasty ;D

8oz (200g) Self Raising Flour
    2oz (50g) Sugar
    2oz (50g) Margarine
    pinch of salt
    1 flat teaspoon of ground mixed spice
    2oz (50g) dried fruit
    1/4 pint (125ml) milk
    a little milk and a sprinkle of sugar to glaze

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Equipment 7 Sandwich Tin
    1 Mixing Bowl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method 1. Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220C (425F) and grease the sandwich tin.
    2. Place the sifted flour, spice and salt into a bowl.
    3. Rub in the fat until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
    4. Stir in the sugar.
    5. Using a round-bladed knife stir in the milk and dried fruit, and form the mixture into a dough.
    6. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead well.
    7. Form the dough into a round, and place it into a greased sandwich tin, press it down evenly.
    8. Score the scone into 8 slices
    9. Brush with milk, and sprinkle with sugar.
    10. Place in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
    11. Cool on a wire tray.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 30th Jun 04, 11:03 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 30th Jun 04, 11:03 PM
    • 30th Jun 04, 11:03 PM
    Thank you for the scone recipe, I really needed one to make use of all our homemade strawberry jam!

Is it possible to use oil instead of margarine to avoid the trans fats?

thanks for help

Caterina
  • heldaz
    • 30th Jun 04, 11:18 PM
    • 30th Jun 04, 11:18 PM
    Hi Caterina

Im sorry, im not a very experienced cook and i dont know :-[

Im sure someone will know though

Heldaz
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 30th Jun 04, 11:45 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 30th Jun 04, 11:45 PM
    • 30th Jun 04, 11:45 PM
    Thanks for those cathy and heldaz. My boyfriend still thinks that I spend far too much time on this site, but at least it's worthwhile for his stomach now!
  • raeble
    • 30th Jun 04, 11:51 PM
    • 30th Jun 04, 11:51 PM
    There's some information here on substituting Fats.
  • rach
    • 1st Jul 04, 12:34 AM
    • 1st Jul 04, 12:34 AM
    the good old be-ro book has some good recipies for cakes, scones etc in... takes me back to those days of baking with my gran!

apparantely they're still available, and only cost 1.25 click here for more info.

Rach.
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 1st Jul 04, 10:43 AM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 1st Jul 04, 10:43 AM
    • 1st Jul 04, 10:43 AM
    I remember the Be-Ro books! I didn't realise that they were still available, my gran used to have one. Thanks for that rach.
    • chucklingbunny
    • By chucklingbunny 1st Jul 04, 11:47 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    chucklingbunny
    This site has recipes for pretty much everything including home remedies.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/

I've used a lot of their baking recipes with great success.

Hope it's useful,
    Francesca
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 1st Jul 04, 11:03 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    Is it possible to use oil instead of margarine to avoid the trans fats?

thanks for help

Caterina
    I use sunflower oil instead of marg in baking and it works fine. If the recipe asks for 4oz marg I use 4 fl.oz oil. Its much easier to mix too. So far I have made sponge cakes, steamed pudding, pineapple upside down cake, banana cake, fruit cake, buns... Best you can do is experiment!
    Also try www.recipemonster.com for LOADS of recipes as the name suggests!
  • bugs
    If there are any things that you aren't familiar with and afraid of trying, I'd hugely recommend Marguerite Patten's the Basic Basics - Baking book. !(Order it online or buy in a shop - you *do* not want to try saying the title out loud..). !All the simple classic recipes, lots of variations, instructions on substituting oil for butter where appropriate (note butter is much better than margarine!), some advice on alternative diets where possible.

I have a little book by Parragon (yes, with 2 rs, I think), one of those small hardbacks they tend to sell in discount stores, calling just "Baking". !Use that an awful lot, and favourite recipe is one for oat and raisin cookies which has quite a small amount, relatively speaking, of butter and sugar along with a lot of er, oats and raisins.

For more luxury stuff - and it might be a good investment considering the price of tracker bars etc! - Nigella's Domestic Goddess book is surprisingly good. !Recipes are reliable and nice and the instructions are really quite clear. !And the pics are lovely and might help with your boyfriend's conversion!

Finally, a book I'm trying to find an excuse to buy for myself is Mary Berry's Ultimate Cake Book. !For you, the section on traybakes might be esp useful as they're nice little treats and a good substitute for other bars.

Last of all, deliaonline is free and has a really good recipe search and lots of cake, scone, bread etc recipes. !Have a look at the energy bars recipe for example.

Happy baking...
  • bugs
    And another thing about bero - they have their recipes online as well. I assume it's the same recipes as in the book so might be worth investigating to see if you feel like investing all of 1.50 on it!
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 2nd Jul 04, 3:54 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    Thanks for all those tips.

No doubt my boyfriend won't mind me getting the Domestic Goddess book considering he's a bit of a Nigella fan anyway. I'll check out my mum's Mary Berry book when I next visit too. I'd always turned my nose up at MB for the reason that my mum always went by what "Mary" had said.

• bugs
    MB's book does look great though - I don't own any of hers so don't have the same "issues" as you! Your house was clearly a bit more upmarket than mine..a 1970 Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook was and still is the only source of recipes in my mum's kitchen! And it's rarely used. Now I have a shelf-full in my house but absolutely no recipe book I ever saw comes close to recreating my mum's brown bread: "Enough flour. Enough bran. Enough salt. A bit of butter. An egg if you've got one. Cream if you've got some. Yoghurt if you've got some. Buttermilk (one tub). Some water to rinse out the remaining butter milk. Enough baking soda. Mix, shape, cook in the oven.. what temp? Hot enough. How long? Till it's cooked". She also has a handy trick of offering someone a cup of tea and whipping up a batch of scones before they get their coat off (almost) - similiar recipe..enough of each ingredient. I can just about manage a Victoria sponge without a recipe to hand but that's it, and I still need my 2.99 Woolies scales to do it!

While I think of it, the board on Delia's site is also v friendly (of course, not so useful and lovely and FT coloured as this one) for cooking questions.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 2nd Jul 04, 7:59 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    Thank you Heldaz and Sarahsaver and others for your good suggestions on fat substitutions, I am really trying to get my family to eat healthier foods and this was very useful!

Caterina
    • angela110660
    • By angela110660 2nd Jul 04, 8:27 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 2,070 Thanks
    angela110660
    I love making cakes and buns and my family are very appreciative - they don't last long however!
    Easiest cake to make I think is Boiled Fruit Cake a recipe that my auntie gave me years ago.

Basically get a big pan and put in 6ozs light brown sugar (I use natural caster though), 6oz margarine - I use Olivio or similar, 8oz of mixed dried fruit eg sultanas, currants and raisins; 10fl oz milk, 2 tsps mixed spice. Stir it all and heat it up and simmer for 2 minutes. Leave to go cool and beat in 2 eggs and 10oz SR flour. Line base of a round 8" cake tin or a large loaf tin and pour in mixture. Cook on Gas 2/3, Elec 300/325F or 150/170C for 1hour 15mins. Test with a skewer and cook for about 15mins more max if still a bit sticky in the middle. Leave in tin to cool before turning out - will keep for several days (if you are lucky) in a sealed container or wrapped in foil. Never fails.
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 4th Jul 04, 6:11 PM
    • 11,899 Posts
    • 24,361 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Oh wow! The Be-Ro cook book, when I moved out from home I took a photocopy of mum's very much thumbed through cook book & I did use quite a few of the recipes in there. Obviously some recipes I couldn't use as the pages were torn or missing - I did say it was a well used book

I'll be sending off for the Be-Ro book as I would love a proper copy, looks a different shape than the one mum had - hers was sort of tall & thin (imagine a spiral bound shorthand pad with an inch off the width for an idea of the shape of it).

Thanks so much for this info rach, never knew it still existed! ;D
  • Janeryan
    Thanks for all those tips.

No doubt my boyfriend won't mind me getting the Domestic Goddess book considering he's a bit of a Nigella fan anyway. !I'll check out my mum's Mary Berry book when I next visit too. !I'd always turned my nose up at MB for the reason that my mum always went by what "Mary" had said. !
    I made a victoria sandwich for the ist time successfully a couple of weeks ago after seeing Mary Berry do one on Saturday Kitchen. It was fab!!!! I would deffo reccomend her recipe-apparently the trick is not to overbeat the mixture!!!
    • catznine
    • By catznine 8th Nov 04, 11:02 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    I learnt to cook using the Good Housekeeping cook book which I think saw on another thread as a freebie - could be worth checking out!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,161Posts Today

7,485Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin