Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 15th Feb 06, 4:05 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 15th Feb 06, 4:05 PM
    • 15th Feb 06, 4:05 PM
    You can freeze it.

I get wild duck off the river in season and I only take the breasts off. Then I either pan fry or caserol them in red wine. Stire fried in a Hoi sin sause is nice too.

With a whole duck you can roast it. They can be fatty so place a rack in the roasting tin. Then you can either serve it as a roast dinner. Chinese style, Shredded with a plumb sause spring onions wrapped in a thin pancake.
  • jenniferpa
    • 15th Feb 06, 4:24 PM
    • 15th Feb 06, 4:24 PM
    To expand on what Rikki said -

Don't be surprised when it shrinks dramatically! Once that fat has run off, 1 duckling will probably only feed 2 -3 unless you go the pancake route. I always !!!!! the skin so that more fat runs out. As a side bar, the fat that runs out, after straining, makes the most wonderful savory pastry, so don't discard it!

Jennifer
  • Lucie
    • 15th Feb 06, 4:27 PM
    • 15th Feb 06, 4:27 PM
    Duck fat also makes the crispiest roast potatoes.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 15th Feb 06, 6:56 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 15th Feb 06, 6:56 PM
    • 15th Feb 06, 6:56 PM
    I love duck, its our favourite!!! I would just roast it, like you would chicken, and like Lucie said, save the fat for your roast potatos!!!!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 15th Feb 06, 10:05 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 15th Feb 06, 10:05 PM
    • 15th Feb 06, 10:05 PM
    Hi wishingonastar,

Duck is delicious but there isn't a lot of meat on it once it's cooked. As others have said cook it on a rack and save the fat to use for roast potatoes, it really does make a difference to them. It's a good idea to drain the fat off a few times during cooking as it really starts to spit and can make a terrible mess of the oven.

Here are some recent threads on cooking duck that might help you.

Bought a duck for 3.99....

Duck hints

Duck - Roast/Aromatic Crispy/Confit?

Pink
  • wishingonastar
    • 16th Feb 06, 6:30 AM
    • 16th Feb 06, 6:30 AM
    thanks so much, i've popped it in the freezer, and am going to use it for sunday lunch, as there is only the 2 of us, i'll save the fat for the roasties.
    2 saver club 30th sept 198 2 coins = 396(350 banked)
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Feb 06, 6:36 AM
    • 12,100 Posts
    • 32,365 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 16th Feb 06, 6:36 AM
    • 16th Feb 06, 6:36 AM
    I always defrost a duck the day before Im going to use it. On the day of cooking I leave it out and !!!!! it all over with a skewer as I find this gets the fat running straight away and makes for a drier duck. Also I throughly dry it helping to crisp the skin
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,492Posts Today

7,519Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin