Having a go at George Galloway, very scary indeed! Blog Discussion

This is a Chat Forum discussion on Martin's 'Having a go at George Galloway, very scary indeed!' blog that you can read here
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• I saw you, and agreed with every thing you said!
  • Sorry to disagree. George Galloway might be a self-publicist but he is worth listening to. Why do we not stop and ponder why there is a mass movement to vilify him? It is not popular feeling that has turned against him. It is popular feeling manipulated by the politicians and businessmen who don't like us learning how to analyse information and perhaps make up our own minds.

Don't be frightened of alternative views. After all, once examined, we can reject them but please don't fall into the trap of dismissing people and their views because they are not popular, especially not popular with the establishment, ie The USA.
  • I thought he was awful on Celebrity Big Brother. If he had been a decent bloke then he would not be getting half the stick his is getting now. In fact I think he would be getting praise! And I am not bothered about the 'cat' incident! (I actually agree with his reasons for that!).

I heard that some of his tour dates have been cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.
  • I didn't see the programme so I don't know the exact details. I think that it's the easy option having a go at Galloway. He went on CBB to promote himself just like the others did so I don't see why the media is picking on him. His politics are sound imo. He has never lied (not even on BB) and even if people don't like him it's worth remembering that he has been at the forefront of exposing the liars and cheats who are in government in the UK and the US.

As for a polititian appearing on CBB I have my reservations about how relevant it is to try to use BB for political debate (but it has worked - Galloway is more in demand than ever before contrary to the opinion of s-j-cooper in this thread.) Think about how aloof and disparaging our government is when it comes to consulting us about any political decisions. Blair took us into war without public support. New Labour are trying to push through very unpopular policies on health care and education to name but a few. We elected them and they appear unaccountable for their actions it seems. I think that's far more unseemly than appearing on CBB. IMO Blair's behaviour is a complete travisty of trust and dignity.

Then we have the lib dems lying about their sexual orientation in order to win a leadership contest. How dishonest is that? I think Galloway's inept appearance on CBB pales into insignificance compared to the shennanigans of some of our political leaders.

Don't forget that half-way through CBB everyone in the house was praising Galloway. It appears that celebs are so fickle when it comes to their alliegencies. When can we expect to see you on CBB, Martin? I wonder how you'd hold up living 24hrs with some of those brainless, self-promoting and self-obsessed celebs that were in the CBB house?

There! I've got that off my chest. Apologies for the long post.
  • Spectralis wrote:
    When can we expect to see you on CBB, Martin? I wonder how you'd hold up living 24hrs with some of those brainless, self-promoting and self-obsessed celebs that were in the CBB house?
    It's not designed for anyone to "hold up". I wouldn't wish the experience on my worst enemy. And definitely not Martin.

But I was pleased to see George Galloway in there :D.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    Me on CBB. Not a chance in hell! I wouldn't ever put myself up to 24 hour a day scutiny - im not that nice!

And as for GG, it wasn't what he did in the house. It was that he first of all is an elected parliamentarian and locking yourself away, denying your constituents and missing votes while parliament is in session needs some justifying.

On the back he admits he isn't standing in the next parliament and is looking for more TV work and publicity and it seems to me he is on a self-seeking celebrity game plan. Nothing wrong with that you may say? Yet he is an elected official closing himself off from the public duty he chose for the sake of personal celebrity gain. For me its pure disenfranchisement of the polticial process.

This isn't about his Politics its about his political behaviour.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • I thought Galloway would not serve the people of Bethnal Green & Bow, in spite of their many problems, as a constituency MP. He didn't have a good record in Glasgow. It's not his thing and it gets harder as you get older.

His constituency's loss is compounded by the fact that central government may well be under (Labour) instruction to block any initiatives that Galloway may or may not pursue for his constituents.

That doesn't stop Gorgeous being one of the highest claiming MPs re expenses, in spite of his absence from the Commons.

I didn't think he could stoop so low as to try out Big Brother.

But his ego overcame any lingering common sense, the expressed concerns of his own Respect Party, his own suppressed knowledge of the broadcasting rules about politics and his evident ignorance of the BB format in spite of being a self-proclaimed man of the people.
  • MSE_Martin wrote:
    For me its pure disenfranchisement of the polticial process.

This isn't about his Politics its about his political behaviour.

Martin

This isn't the case. Galloway has held more public meetings in his constituency than King did in her whole term of office. If Galloway is irresponsible then so are most of the MP's who we elect in parliament because, through out the year, many of them aren't around to reperesent their constiuents. No one has highlighted Boris Johnson prancing off to Italy to make his TV programme. What about MP's who travel abroad to speak? In what way are they accountable to their constituents in this case?

I think this holier than thou attitude towards Galloway's political behaviour is hypocritical. It highlights how the media can spin against people like Galloway while other polititians behave with far less integrity.

CBB was a mistake and yes, Galloway lost it towards the end, but the three weeks (out of 52) that he was in the house is no worse than the time many MP's spends away from their constiuents.

Galloway was elected on his principled anti-war credentials. He was explicit about his politics before, during and after the election. He went on CBB to promote the anti-war message. Strangely Channel 4 decided to censor his anti-war discussions while allowing the airing of the political debate about the use of animal fur. The fact that this has been ignored and that the reprehensible behaviour of the rest of the house appears acceptable to the media and some of the public leads me to believe that Galloway has been subjected to a judgement based on double standards.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    Spectralis. Unlike many in the media I said my views to George's face, directly. It scared the pants off me doing so as it wasn't a pleasant thing, yet it's the honourable way to do it - he had equal time to respond. So having done that I don't want to re-engage in it here, I simply wanted to explain exactly what my point had been. As that's done i shall now close m'gob here.

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MSE_Martin wrote:
    Spectralis. Unlike many in the media I said my views to George's face, directly. It scared the pants off me doing so as it wasn't a pleasant thing, yet it's the honourable way to do it - he had equal time to respond. So having done that I don't want to re-engage in it here, I simply wanted to explain exactly what my point had been. As that's done i shall now close m'gob here.

martin

I respect you point of view Martin. I just wanted to offer a different take on this issue. As for Galloway being scary I think he can act tough in the face of criticism but if someone has an opinion that they want to debate with him in a fraternal manner I think he will listen and reciprocate fraternally. CBB isn't the place where fraternal debates are encouraged and Galloway was naive to think he could overcome this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure