Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Oct 08, 8:48 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    November 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Oct 08, 8:48 AM
    November 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Oct 08 at 8:48 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and 6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-10-2008 at 8:03 AM.
Page 13
    • sharronej
    • By sharronej 3rd Nov 08, 6:05 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    Mince with Lentils
    Hi,
    Yesterday I decided to have a go at some of the slow cook recipes which use lentils to bulk out a meal. I used 400g of Mince to make a huge pot of chilli using beans and lentils to bulk out, cooked it over about 7 hours and it was absolutely delicious! I could have ate the full pot by myself it has made ten generous portions.

Does anyone else find that they can do really well during the big shop but then it's a disaster if you need pop back in? I spent a fiver on sweets for halloween and only got two knocks on the door!
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 3rd Nov 08, 8:58 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Not much to report, had NSD's sat and sun, after the small 'big shop' on Friday. Discovered what great rolls the MrT white bread mix makes so will pop in and get another couple today when I am through to the town anyway with DS. Hope all are well and bye for now
    Edited to say- well wholemeal and white are now 65p each- they were 50p/55p on Friday!!!!!!!
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 03-11-2008 at 12:58 PM.
  • WelshWoofer
    Hi,
    Did the first shop of the month on the weekend and managed to spend 38.18 in Mr Ts and 7.61 in Boots on toiletries. I have got enough bathroom stuff to last for the month now (apart from maybe a deodorant) and washing powder/cleaning stuff so it should be just food and dog food for the next 3 weeks. Famous last words!

I'm away for most of next week (from Sunday 9th - Friday 14th) with work so that will also help with this month's budget.

I'm off to do a meal plan for the week to try to use up what we have most effectively and see how much I can save up for next weeks shopping. I'm planning to do a Mr S online shop to be delivered the evening I get back from working away (I have a 10 voucher to use up).

Anyway, Have a good week!
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
  • KITTY
    First spend
    Morning all. Had my delivery from Mr A yesterday. Bought all the bulky stuff for the month including cat food, litter etc and the store cupboard bits, so only need fresh for rest of month. Spent 102.52 which sounds a lot but with 9 cats to feed we get through a lot of food!

Best of luck everyone, K

Merry Christmas
  • Money saving Diva
    Divas Honey Buns..
    Hi all

Popped in to change my siggy and post this recipe in case anyone fancied it.

Honey frosted Buns - this makes 12
    Buns
    8z. Self-Raising Flour
    2oz. Granulated Sugar
    2oz clear honey
    1 Egg
    4oz. Butter
    Milk to Mix (if Needed)

Frosting
    2 egg whites,
    6 tablespoons of water
    8oz sugar
    8 dessert spoons of clear honey

For the buns...
    • Cream together sugar, honey, butter and egg.
    • Sieve the flour and add to the creamed mixture. Add a little milk if it is too stiff.
    • Put spoonfuls into individual fairy cake/bun tins
    • bake tins on middle shelf for 20 minutes or so in preheated oven (200F/90C).
    • Leave to cool until cold.
    For the frosting: (This is optional but mmmmm it tastes fab!)
    • Beat together ingredients in a basin over a pan of boiling water until stiff
    • Cover buns with this frosting mixture.
    They are delicious!!

Doing my tescos online order today and nagging OH to find the receipts for what he spent over the weekend. He says they are in his wallet, and he will give them to me soon...Grrrrrr...

Hope you are all doing well with your challenges.

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • TOPAZ
    Hi
    I'd like to join the November grocery challenge can you please put me down for 200

This will be 50 per week for 2 adults and 2 children (1 still in nappies) - and will be quite a challenge for me

And my first try - looking forward to planning some new meals rather than the boring same meals each week.

Thanks
    Topaz
    Last edited by TOPAZ; 03-11-2008 at 1:28 PM.
  • mr and mrs t
    Hi all
    Please can you put us down for 250 for the month........
    All the best. Mr and mrs t
    • gilly1964
    • By gilly1964 3rd Nov 08, 12:41 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 7,434 Thanks
    gilly1964
    I have tried this before and then drop out, but am determined to get to get to the end of the month. Can you please put me down for 180 please?
    This is for everything except some Christmas bits and bobs, which are in a separate budget.

2 adults and one hollow legged teenager, plus random passer-bys
    (DSS friends - who like eating here as we always eat "real" food )

01/11 70.45 leaving 109.55 for the rest of the month.

I have done a store cupboard list and am doing a freezer one this afternoon, so will post later for ideas.

All the best
    Gilly
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 3rd Nov 08, 12:42 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    not had the best start to the month. went shopping for food, OH in tow ,spent 118 43 over budget cant even see anything for it serves me right for not going alone:rolleyes:
  • tango
    not had the best start to the month. went shopping for food, OH in tow ,spent 118 43 over budget cant even see anything for it serves me right for not going alone:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by sistercas
    Sorry ..I never ever take my OH now..learnt my lesson too !!

I always always spend more when we shop together..Infact we if do..I send him off and say turn up when I need help with the packing
    Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Sorry ..I never ever take my OH now..learnt my lesson too !!

I always always spend more when we shop together..Infact we if do..I send him off and say turn up when I need help with the packing
    Originally posted by tango
    ...On the rare occasion my hubby comes in with me -he sits in the cafe bar and has a coffee -or is despatched on a "supermarket sweep" for that 1 think I NEED that I know will take him ages to find
    But usually he sits in the car with a sudduko book -Im happy as im quicker on my own (no turning round to find 44 year old hubby "trolley surfing" down the aisle - you know -the running along then lifting your feet of the floor and lying along the trolley )-and he is happy as he doesn't have to go in the "bad place"
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • tango
    ...On the rare occasion my hubby comes in with me -he sits in the cafe bar and has a coffee -or is despatched on a "supermarket sweep" for that 1 think I NEED that I know will take him ages to find
    But usually he sits in the car with a sudduko book -Im happy as im quicker on my own (no turning round to find 44 year old hubby "trolley surfing" down the aisle - you know -the running along then lifting your feet of the floor and lying along the trolley )-and he is happy as he doesn't have to go in the "bad place"
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    sometimes MSE is great for just making you laugh.....
    Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.
  • mrs moo-cow
    Fabulous thread - I've very much enjoying reading. Am plucking up the courage to try this. It's hard as my husband is very much stuck in his ways of branded everything, but I'm working on him

Am not joining in officially this month, but unofficially am going to try and get as close to 200 as possible.
    We shall see!
    Saving hard for deposit on our first family home so far: ISA = 6454.23p + Saver = 1200 Trying to put at least 250 a month into the savings account

Nov Grocery Challenge (first timer!) 80/320
    • Primula
    • By Primula 3rd Nov 08, 1:31 PM
    • 951 Posts
    • 2,167 Thanks
    Primula
    Hi everyone
    Just thought I'd share this recipe I "stole" from my DD's student cookbook. Tastes a lot nicer than it sounds and a good cheap and easy meal and filling too!

MONDAY PIE

Mince
    1 Onion
    1 Garlic Clove
    2 teaspoons worcester sauce
    1 beef stock cube
    1 tin beans
    Potatoes

Brown the mince, onion & garlic. Add the beef stock cube (no water, just the dry cube). Add seasoning and tin of beans (the value beans are fine) and worcester sauce. Put in an ovenproof dish. Slice up raw potatoes and layer all over top of mixture. Heat in oven at about 180 for 50 to 60 mins or until potatoes soft.

Just thought I'd share this and hope somebody might find it useful!
    x
  • ravylesley
    Mrs M I thought my hubby was the only 44yr old that did the trolley surfing but I'm glad to find out it isnt something wrong with him and merely a man thing

Well I've updated my sig with my weekend trip to Tescos where I spent 44.44 on 2x 1litre bottles of vodka for 20 and a few other things which at the time seemed essential .My Asda delivery arrived this morning and was 120.04 which I didnt think was too bad as my cupboards,pantry and freezers are now all crammed full.Asda have Lurpak Spreadable 500g on 2 for 3.We love lurpak and that works out at 75p per 250g which is cheaper than value butter.So I bought six packs.I wont be supermarket shopping again for a fortnight so I'll be making a two week meal plan to make sure we eat all the fresh stuff up and waste nowt

Lesleyxx
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Primula ..

I did something similar at the weekend -but with chopped onion n carrots and served it in a yorkshire pud...mmmmm

Tango - Hubbies "surfing" wouldn't be bad if we had children that he was entertaining..but we don't its just him :confused:
    ravylesley -hubby will be most impressed he isn't on his own ..Mind, If i tell him then he will think its normal
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 3rd Nov 08, 1:44 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    Hello all,

Cannot believe it's November - where has the time gone?

Please could you add 200 for this month - really need to tighten the belt.

Thanks
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.
  • leebarton
    I turned my back for 5 minutes and there are 13 pages already!!!!

I would like to declare October at 346 and set the target for November at 350. The outlaws have been with us for the first week and the total now includes baby milk.

Signature is updated - now to go and read and catch up!
    First Direct Loan @ 7.9% 13,076.03/20,250
    Mint CC @ 18.9% 3030.29/3100 Virgin CC @ 34.9% 651.46/2700 Tesco CC @ 0% 1366/1500

Proud to be dealing with my debts - Official DFW Nerd No. 250
    • JAMIEDODGER
    • By JAMIEDODGER 3rd Nov 08, 2:12 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 18,694 Thanks
    JAMIEDODGER
    Been to tesco this morning to pick up a few bits for a new recipe i wanted to try and some fruit and veg. so im off the starting blocks with 11.19
    #82 12k in 2018 - 3473.45/12000 - 28.95%
    Retirement Fund 10850.02/250000 - 4.34%
    House Fund 2679.13/50000 - 5.36%
    Travel Fund 199.49/2500 - 7.98%
  • princess leia
    Just been doing a shop on Mr T and was after some glace cherries, 200g for 2.99 now I thought that must be wrong so I will just order 100g but they were 2.25 . They also have the natural looking coloured ones for 99p for 100g so I have ordered those but Mr A is 99p for 200g I think
    I am trying to make a Delia Xmas cake into 4 small ones for presents and to test out the recipe for next year
    My order at the mo is approx 70 but I should be getting some insurance money back to cover the loss of frozen food so I will take this amount off!

Sorry for the over usage of the but I was so shocked at that price and I am sure they weren't that dear last nite when I started the order!
    Sealed pot Member target 200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly 3k so far 1097 May220/300
    1k in 100 days so far - 235
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,416Posts Today

7,830Users online

Martin's Twitter