Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.
    • 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. 27th Sep 08 at 5:14 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September Grocery Challenge.
    As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Page 48
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 22nd Oct 08, 8:22 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Wow, I have just checked how many posts I have done this month and can't believe it is only 12 (this makes 13... )... I think I was top of the pile last month, even with trying to cut down.

(for anyone who wants to know how to find out how they are doing, here is Pink-winged's explanation - post 1230, about 6 posts down)

Everyone is doing really well in minimising chat and posts and the new guidelines certainly seem to be working - I've been able to keep up with the thread and still learn loads... still can't believe we only have 48 pages in this month... Well done to everyone...

Talking of learning loads and the whole point of this post, BigMumma, you posted a bread roll recipe on here AGES ago, and when I used it in my BM, it worked really well for me, not had so much luck since, would you mind posting again pretty please? (don't think it is the one on the recipe index as I have tried that with no luck???)
    Last edited by Flylady_Flower; 22-10-2008 at 8:24 AM.
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • dink1
    (Walks in hangs head in shame) blown the budget will update siggy in a minute. After doing quite well, came down with a head cold and went shopping and blew the budget. Feel like I have let myself down. dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 22nd Oct 08, 9:23 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    well i've just gone over, i'm declaring £127.92
    i can't find my red (weird not opening colour box!!)
    can we have £125 again for november please MrsM, will be running it payday to payday so 25th to 24th this time
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• newlywed
    • By newlywed 22nd Oct 08, 9:26 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    (Walks in hangs head in shame) blown the budget will update siggy in a minute. After doing quite well, came down with a head cold and went shopping and blew the budget. Feel like I have let myself down. dink1
    Originally posted by dink1
    I seem to blow the budget every month

I like food, like to eat nice things and feel satisfied to know that my family are full and contented.

Must try harder to keep to budget

Can you put me down for £330 again next month please (will start 24th Oct - which should be payday).
    Last edited by newlywed; 22-10-2008 at 9:30 AM.

DMP support thread (member #32)

• meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 22nd Oct 08, 9:34 AM
    • 5,093 Posts
    • 49,556 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent €14.50 on meat and milk this morning, leaving me the princely sum of €36.27 to see us out until 31st...should really only need milk and veg...making an Irish stew with the lamb neck I bought...€5 for three and a half pounds, not sure what weight of meat there is.

Have a good day all

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 22nd Oct 08, 10:17 AM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,322 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    NYK what bread was that for £1.75!! I thought my corner shop was bad at £1.20!
    Originally posted by mumzyof2
    It was the Warburtons seeded loaf and, in my defence, it was served with homemade soup for lunch with a special visitor. I was completely shocked! Co-op's saver bread is now 75p! I only buy bread if I can get it for less than 40p, so I hadn't noticed the latest price increases.

I'm not finished this month until 31st, but will aim for £60 next month
    I'm not sure how it will go, as I have a house move, extra mouths to feed and it'll all result in an empty freezer, unless I can find freezer boxes of some description to cover the duration of the move and allow a couple of hours standing time before I can switch it back on - same with fridge.

Edited in: Just to update, I had to go into town today, so took the opportunity to pop into S*merfields. Whilst there, I spent £7.12 on bargains, but I also priced their Warburt*ns Seeded batch loaf - £1.86!!! And their (previously) 19p then 22p beans are now 36p! On the plus side, their 'cheap bread' is less than half the price of our local Co-op's own brand saver! But I still couldn't believe the price increases on other basic foodstuffs. Impending recession looks really BAD for anyone who, through financial necessity, has already downgraded as far as they can go because basic food bills could easily double.
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 22-10-2008 at 2:08 PM. Reason: Adding in more info
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 22nd Oct 08, 10:54 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hi everyone,
    Well on the continuing quest to shop locally I purchased some cranberry and blackcurrant juice, sweetcorn kernels (frozen) and some toilet cleaner in the local grocer/bakery. Also got some blue velvet wool to knit DS a jumper but from a different budget, and 3 second hand baby gros (he has lots of 12-18 month ones but they are Cherokee ones and waaaaay tooooooo long in the leg), the ones I got today should do him for a bit until his legs grow! Anyway, hope everyone is doing ok- I am in agony after dental work yesterday, painkillers not doing anything either yet . Hoping to bake later if I feel ok although some cleaning is also calling.
    Well done everyone- especially with all the price rises .
    Take care all.
    x
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 22-10-2008 at 1:38 PM.
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 22nd Oct 08, 12:40 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    I have not kept a tally of spending this month. I probably should have done as we have been really short of money but I will try to get back on track in November. Sticking to my menu plan and only eating what we have in the house has helped a lot. This month we have bought mailnly frozen fruit and vegetables as our greengrocer has closed now too. It is the co-op or travel 20 miles for fruit and vegetables!
  • princess leia
    Just called insurance company and we can claim for our freezer breaking down, so off to find my list of stuff that was in there! That should help with filling it back up

A nsd for me today, I have whizzed up lots of bread crusts and shoved them in freezer for the loominhg apple charlotte and hopefully stuffing recipe if I find Mrs Macs
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• tirlittan
    • By tirlittan 22nd Oct 08, 1:27 PM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 8,890 Thanks
    tirlittan
    Oh, I've kind of fell off the wagon after my holiday... Have bought quite a few times breakfast cos been too tired to get up early, and buying sandwiches for lunch from the shop.
    Have kept all my receipts though, so do really need to go through them and add up how much I've spent.

I’m also going to do bit of an over lap with the GC. I get paid on 15th and it’s easier doing this frpm pay day to pay day. But for my first time, I was doing 1-29.10 (off on hols the last two days). But now I’m going to do 15.10 - 14.11 as well and on both trying to keep it under £100. And then from 15.11 I can start doing it normally.
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts!
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 22nd Oct 08, 1:40 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    First, I've pm'd Denise cuz I honestly can't think of the recipe being mentioned & didn't want you to think I was igger-unt

My for this week has been soaking a couple of handfuls of yellow split peas overnight & adding those along with red lentils, to the pork casserole for last night's meal. It has got me :rolleyes: tho, what other beans & things I could be using to get similar protein into the meals without using all meat. Kidney beans are still out of the equation for a while, cuz they are too easily spotted by my eagel-eyed bunch[their dad did love his action figure ] but what do the others taste like? Answers on a postcard please
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• MRSMCAWBER
    Afternoon all

Right -think it was Scotsaver who asked for the stuffing recipe ... so basically you

HOMEMADE SAGE N ONION STUFFING RECIPE
    • chop and onion -as fine as you like (we like chunky)
    • place in a small pan and cover with water
    • stick the lid on cook until soft - you may need to add a bit more water
    • then throw in some salt, pepper and dried sage (or whatever herbs you like)
    • add breadcrumbs -again as fine as you like -I just rip it into chunks -and bash with a wooden spoon
    • you may need to add more liquid (depends if you want to make balls or just bake it in a dish)-an egg is great but not neccesary
    • you can also add a bashed up skinless sausage too
    Then you just bake, Its great for making into balls and freezing raw for making quick dinners and if you put the sausage in its lovely for making chicken n stufing sandwiches..
    When I do it on dinners we have found that it has so much flavour that you need much less meat

I can't remember the last time I had shop stuffing and now have mum making her own and my niece refusing to eat SILs packet stuffing

Well Whilst im here... I had a hospital appointment this morning again -hubby found a free parking space to save us paying €2 .... Seems like next month I get to spend up to a week in the "bad place" -the hospital after my MRI the other week it seems I have a malformed brain :confused: so need the good old lumbar punctures n tests again :rolleyes: -then they will try and convince me that having a shunt fitted in my brain is a good idea -I don;t rate their chances -Im not joking -they don't faff about here -turn up for an appointment -next thing you know they have you booked in for a weeks stay-non of this "we will get you an appointment" then 6 months later you might here something :rolleyes:
    so thats less food to buy (german hospital food is amazing -not to mention HUGE-plus you help yourslef to bottled water etc)-but i will make sure I make plenty of bread and meals hubby can just grab from the freezer..
    Can see me sat in bed now with my crochet like an old fart

Right -its chicken dinner tonight.using some roast chicken from the weekend -the rest is in the freezer.. so I had better get off

have a great evening all
    Last edited by MRSMCAWBER; 28-10-2008 at 6:39 AM.
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 22nd Oct 08, 2:15 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,322 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    I'm going to call it a day on the groceries for this month. I spent the £7.12 on special offers, have enough in to last the next week or so and have spent a total of £67.95 this month. By my own admission, I have bought stuff that I didn't NEED and I have stockpiled a couple of bargains, so I'm still convinced that I should be able to stay within budget for the year if I count in all my extra my Mr T vouchers that I've had to 'cash in' as my 'Deals' didn't work out as planned.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 22nd Oct 08, 2:40 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,518 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good,afternoon all

just back from shopping and still addingit up as we went to thre cashncarryto get toilet rolls and cat food that cost me a fortune,,what with 8 cans of stout and some soap powder as well it came to £38.19
    then we went to MrS where it cost £12.80,,but which did include a couple of cream cakes for us for a treat,,and 3 for a £1 energy saving bulbs,, pl;us some store cupboard items so I can make baked beans and DH can nake somne more pick a lilly

we then went into Netto for tbags as they had typhoo 1100 for £8.99 asthey did not have any in the cash n carry and that came to £14.25
    so altogether it came to ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,£
    85.24 £65.84 thats better,,so I will adjust my signature and hope not to spend anymore til Sunday

See you soon

KAAT XX

ps,, It seems that I went all round but as we were going that way and all the shops were on the way back it did not cost us any more in petrol..in fact we probably saved fuel as now we wont have to go out again
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• FairyElephant
    OK, here we go.... 2 quick shops in Lidl & ASDA Friday & Saturday (started feeling ill on Friday - got worse all weekend & been off 'til today - on the mend now but still sniffly & tired).
    Good news was that ASDA had the Princes Extra Lean (I think it was - it's a brand label anyhow) Corned Beef with x% extra free - which makes it the same size tine as their own Smartprice tinned stuff - but t £1.08 a tin it's 10p cheaper! (I mentioned last month how much CB had gone up - Smartprice used to be 78p!!!!). So I bought 4 tins to stock up in my cupboard. Hence spent a little more than expected....

Amount spent so far £155.08, Balance left to spend £4.92

....so I will probably be a little overspent by the end of the month, but TBH I'll only use one tin of CB before then, so £3.24 could be 'clawed back' if necessary.

I hit on a great idea today to stop me spending at the Supermarket! I only really need minced beef, 'butter' spread and a cheap white loaf for toasting (DH prefers Lidl cheap thick sliced white for toast, which we keep in the freezer and use slices as needed), so I asked my dear ol' mum to get me just those three things when she does her weekly shop today. That way I avoid visiting the shop and can't be tempted by any 'bargains'......

Other than that I'll need milk, potatoes & veg for the roast on Sunday, which I'll nip out for on Saturday. The stuff for the rest of the month's food-plan is all bought in already, so I may just about scrape in on budget.....
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 22nd Oct 08, 4:03 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Well Whilst im here... I had a hospital appointment this morning again -hubby found a free parking space to save us paying €2 .... Seems like next month I get to spend up to a week in the "bad place" -the hospital after my MRI the other week it seems I have a malformed brain :confused: so need the good old lumbar punctures n tests again :rolleyes: -then they will try and convince me that having a shunt fitted in my brain is a good idea -I don;t rate their chances -Im not joking -they don't faff about here -turn up for an appointment -next thing you know they have you booked in for a weeks stay-non of this "we will get you an appointment" then 6 months later you might here something :rolleyes:
    so thats less food to buy (german hospital food is amazing -not to mention HUGE-plus you help yourslef to bottled water etc)-but i will make sure I make plenty of bread and meals hubby can just grab from the freezer..
    Can see me sat in bed now with my crochet like an old fart
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    I know this is not on topic, so feel free to delete if necessary, but just wanted to wish you well Mrs M - I wouldn't fancy a shunt either, but you should listen to them and maybe do some research before you go in - If it's that quick think I would want to know all the facts first... scary!

Hopefully it won't come to that, but at least you know it will be sorted quick - german efficiency at it's best eh! fingers crossed (and everything else) for you... x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 22nd Oct 08, 4:51 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Go a lot of whoopsies today. 2 small chickens at £1.66 each and 2 six packs of muller lite ygs for 88p each pack. Also found booze on offer. Guinness draught has a £1 voucher on it so that helps. Got a list of stuff we need for the garden but couldnt get and what we did get was expensive. 2 chickens in oven now-DH wants his to be chicken and pasta with a bolognese sauce. I ade cauliflower cheese with pasta earlier-it turned out very well.
    I used 2 onions,250g pasta,1 whole cauli,one tin campbells mushroom soup, 3 heaped desertspoons of cornflour, about a pint of milk and about half pint of water. Then I grated about 3 oz cheese-(Im guessing)Made loads-about 6 servings for about £2.50 The chickens are now in the oven and will end up in a variety of dishes over the next 2 days including soup with the carcasses which will be put into the sc tomorrow while Im at work.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • ravylesley
    Well finally got my asda home shopping delivery note through the post today so can update my sig with the amount.When they delivered the shopping there was no note due to a computer malfunction and no-one could even tell me how much is was But it came in only slightly higher than it should be at £104 and I truly cant be bothered to complain as Asda are terrible they tell you you will be refunded but it never arrives

Mrs M I too think you should seriously reconsider the shunt as my hubbys sister had one fitted after suffering a brain haemorrage and has had no ill effects whatsoever and she doesnt have to take the horrid medication you have to take either.Its your decision though and I'm sure you'll make the best one for you

Lesleyxx
    • teedy23
    • By teedy23 22nd Oct 08, 5:56 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 5,244 Thanks
    teedy23
    Hi all, went to Asda today just for rolls or baps if you like, and ended up spending £8.20, add to this 42p for milk for work and my total new spendies top add to sig is £8.62. I forgot to make sandwiches for work but resisted temptation by eating loads of the free fruit they leave out for us. I should have made porridge as I took this in to work with pot ect. but took a long hot shower instead (love the shower in work). I,ve also been making the effort to get up 15 mins earlier and get the train in to work, which costs me nowt. I,ve been so good this week I,m sure I,ll sprout wings.

GOD LUCK MRS MAC xx
    Dabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
    • wmf
    • By wmf 22nd Oct 08, 7:47 PM
    • 1,800 Posts
    • 21,646 Thanks
    wmf
    Haven't updated for a while. It's been a funny month as I increased my budget...........and have ended up spending much less, so far anyway. Must be the way my mind works.
    I've really watched what I've bought and yesterday took a basket instead of trolley. Meals have been....creative......... and that has saved quite an amount on food.
    Can I be included for £130 next month please?
    Thanks
    w
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,418Posts Today

7,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LeedsWomensAid: We are pleased to see @MartinSLewis raising awareness about the important issue of financial abuse. Have a read of his?

• Didn't get your MSE weekly email today - for some reason Microsoft (inc outlook hotmail) filed many as spam so chec? https://t.co/GH6aH9CBTn

• RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Follow Martin