Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.
    • 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. 27th Sep 08 at 5:14 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September Grocery Challenge.
    As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Page 42
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 17th Oct 08, 7:50 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    I had a NSD today apart from buying some little rugs at the market for £10 which is a different budget.
    Made a curry tonight really cheaply using some of yesterdays chicken.
    I used 2 chicken legs(not very big)
    Some soya chunks
    3 small pots
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    hald a teaspoon chilli
    2 tins value curry sauce
    4 mushrooms(value)
    a quarter of a tube of tomato puree and a little water.
    This fed 6(my ds had his mate around)and cost a total of about £2 so only approx 33p per portion per person. A really cheap meal-hence I invited the boy to tea!
    Not had any HM bread for a few days so I may go and do that now so that I can take it out of the BM before I go to bed(I'm a night owl)
    I also intend to make 2 bran flake loaves. Ive lost track of what day it is this week as Ive had no work(my job is only a casual one)and one day blends into the next. Ive remembered tonight though that tomorrow is Saturday so I need to fill the fridge with the "weekend" food!
    I shall try to stay away from the shops tomorrow except for milk.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • mumzyof2
    Your going to think im really stupid but i want to buy a whole chicken (small or medium) tomorrow. Have it on Sunday. But then I want to make a chicken soup on Monday. How do i do it? Is there a link or anything. How do i get all the bones from chicken. I never done it before. And would a small chicken do 1 adult and 2 small children (4 and 2) plus chicken soup or would i have to go medium?
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
    • Skint Lynne
    • By Skint Lynne 17th Oct 08, 8:36 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 11,182 Thanks
    Skint Lynne
    Your going to think im really stupid but i want to buy a whole chicken (small or medium) tomorrow. Have it on Sunday. But then I want to make a chicken soup on Monday. How do i do it? Is there a link or anything. How do i get all the bones from chicken. I never done it before. And would a small chicken do 1 adult and 2 small children (4 and 2) plus chicken soup or would i have to go medium?
    Originally posted by mumzyof2
    Mumzy,

I am following you around . I think the small one would be fine, if it is just you and the wee ones, they usually don't eat that much!! I'm sure there is a guide to doing chicken stock on the complete cooking thread, I have seen it somewhere. I think that you strip the chicken as much as you can and then put the carcass into a large pan with boiling water, some veg (defo an onion) and then season and boil for around an hour to an hour and a half, but you would keep checking it. Then when it's done, remove the carcass and strain. Then you will have the stock for your soup!!

I'm sure that someone who knows better than me will be along soon, I'm meant to be looking for veggie recipies for my forthcoming vegginess!!

See you over on the other thread,

SL x
  • mumzyof2
    Mumzy,

I am following you around . I think the small one would be fine, if it is just you and the wee ones, they usually don't eat that much!! I'm sure there is a guide to doing chicken stock on the complete cooking thread, I have seen it somewhere. I think that you strip the chicken as much as you can and then put the carcass into a large pan with boiling water, some veg (defo an onion) and then season and boil for around an hour to an hour and a half, but you would keep checking it. Then when it's done, remove the carcass and strain. Then you will have the stock for your soup!!

I'm sure that someone who knows better than me will be along soon, I'm meant to be looking for veggie recipies for my forthcoming vegginess!!

See you over on the other thread,

SL x
    Originally posted by Skint Lynne
    What is a carcass? So from what you have said but in my terms.. I strip the chicken then bung the rest of it (bones etc) in a pan, cover with boiling water add some veg.. What veg? I only have frozen mixed veg, have onions (do i chop onion up?).
    Boil for a hour then strain it. Then its done.. BUT what do i do next to thicken it up etc? Do i need to add chicken to it? Im so confused. lol
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
  • Julimk
    Hi Mumzyof2

I only buy the small chicken for me & DD (9). Roast dinner, then strip the carcass (the bones) for white meat for salads/sandwiches & dark meat for another meal (? curry etc.)

Any veg!! Whatever is leftover from the roast dinner should be fine. Some people advise against brocolli & cauli. Root veg definitely OK.

I get about 1 pint of stock from a small chicken, others may get more.

HTH
  • mumzyof2
    Im all confused. What do i do when i strip the chicken and made the stock? do i leave some chicken on the bones to put in the pan? what do i do once i made the stock? add chicken?
    • Skint Lynne
    • By Skint Lynne 17th Oct 08, 9:22 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 11,182 Thanks
    Skint Lynne
    Im all confused. What do i do when i strip the chicken and made the stock? do i leave some chicken on the bones to put in the pan? what do i do once i made the stock? add chicken?
    You can add what you want to the stock once you have made that bit. As julimk says, you can even add any veg you might have left over from dinner.

When I make HM soup, I add lentils (when I start the soup, to the water/stock.) Make sure you have washed the lentils before you put them into the pan. Now, just put enough lentils to suit your taste/size of pan. I make a cauldron size pot of soup and use half a bag of lentils, so if your pan is normal size, I would use a quarter of a bag. Then add an onion, 2-4 grated carrots, a couple of cubed potatoes and anything else you might have, including any leftover bits of chicken you want to put in. Simmer for an hour to hour and half until you cannot see any lentils. You could make chicken and rice soup, just add a handful of normal rice to the mix, throw it in at the same time as the lentils.

Have you made soup before Mumzy? It's easy, just a guessing game really, the proof is in the tasting!!

SL x
  • gillaman
    Grrrrrrr. Got muddled over which pot of money my GC comes from. Kept thinking it was my 4 weekly money, but it's not, it's the calendar monthly money so I have two weeks left to go and only about 25.00 left. Hey ho. I should manage because I'll only need f&v and milk.

I have about 10 tofuburgers in the freezer and have just made some cheese, apple and sage turnovers. Had one for dinner, the rest will go in the freezer. Have hm chilli in the freezer, and some Quorn fillets, Asda meatballs and veggie mince, plus lentils, beans etc. in the cupboard. Have some eggs and veggies, and can make a pilaff or risotto. Don't think I'll starve.

Well done everyone - you all seem to be getting pretty good at this! I don't post very often as just too busy at the moment, but knowing I've got somewhere to publicly declare my spends keeps me in line.
    Dec GC 100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - 103.26
    Jan GC 100/64.20/20.91 (14.89 left)
  • mumzyof2
    I make carrot soup alot as my DD hates carrots but will eat carrot soup. With carrot soup i just add 1kg of carrots, 1 onion, garlic and 1 -1 and half pints of veg stock and some red lentils. And cook for about an hour.
    Think i know how to make chicken soup now. I have a huge pan i will make the chicken in. It will prob turn out more like veg soup lol. Do i just add the water so it covers all the bones? Do i need to break all the bones up ?

Could i just boil the bones in a pan on monday night and then tuesday morning still everything else in slow cooker? and when i get home from college all i would have to do is blend it all?
    • cw18
    • By cw18 17th Oct 08, 9:38 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 85,994 Thanks
    cw18
    In my days pre-SC (slow cooker) when I made the stock in a pan, I broke the carcass up into individual bones (or clumps of - but didn't intentionally break any individual bones) and added water to cover them -- and kept then on a low light while they simmered, with half an eye on them from time to time in case I wanted/needed to add more water.

You do need to cover the bones to get the most from them, but even if you could keep the carcass whole while stripping off the meat, I think you'd find that covering it would be far too much water (the stock wouldn't have a real 'flavour')
    Cheryl
    • Skint Lynne
    • By Skint Lynne 17th Oct 08, 9:41 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 11,182 Thanks
    Skint Lynne
    I make carrot soup alot as my DD hates carrots but will eat carrot soup. With carrot soup i just add 1kg of carrots, 1 onion, garlic and 1 -1 and half pints of veg stock and some red lentils. And cook for about an hour.
    Think i know how to make chicken soup now. I have a huge pan i will make the chicken in. It will prob turn out more like veg soup lol. Do i just add the water so it covers all the bones? Do i need to break all the bones up ?

Could i just boil the bones in a pan on monday night and then tuesday morning still everything else in slow cooker? and when i get home from college all i would have to do is blend it all?
    I don't think you would break the bones up, but someone else will probably confirm this. I would boil it in the pan on Monday, get rid of the bones, and put all your ingredients into the slow cooker for Tuesday, bet you have nice soup when you get in, let me know how it tastes. I am defo going to try your carrot soup for my no face regime which starts on Monday!!!

SL x

There you go, I was wrong, CW has saved the day!!
    Last edited by Skint Lynne; 17-10-2008 at 9:42 PM. Reason: dodgy soup making skills!!
    • cw18
    • By cw18 17th Oct 08, 9:44 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 85,994 Thanks
    cw18
    mumzy - just spotted the mention of a slow cooker. are you roasting the chicken in the oven (in which case I'd then make stock in a pan) or cooking it in the slow cooker (in which case the meat should fall off that cleanly I don't think I gain enough by boiling the bones to make it worth the fuel to do so -- but there's already loads of stock in the slow cooker that I keep for other things)
    Cheryl
  • mumzyof2
    Thanks everyone

LYNEE - That carrot soup only cost like 1 or even less to make!
  • rosieben

Rubber Chicken thread here and Using Chicken carcass to make soup thread here
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • puss14
    [quote=cw18;15059823]Just treat it as a temporary "blip"...

Do have food in the house? Can you get creative with that? If you can get away with just buying milk, bread and f&v for the rest of the month that should minimize the damage to your budget -- especially if you're like me and have several bags of veg in the freezer and a number of tins of fruit in the cupboard (I could manage for at least a week without even needing to buy f&v apart from the bananas that DH insists on having on a daily basis).

I know if I were to give in part way through a month (as I did with keeping records of non food items in July & August) then I also pick things up without thinking about the cost as much -- and end up spending even more.

Thanks for your support CW18 . Yes I do have a big pantry and my freezer is full(albeit just sml fridge one) and I do have some things in garden. You have inspired me and I have made up a jug of powdered milk for my OHs coffee and am working on a meal plan which I will post later in day. I feel a lot better now as I think I might be able to make it to end of month with what I have. I was a bit silly and brought things like cashews, dolmados and fancy cheese as atreat for when my mum arrives. I like to spoil her but I know she would be happy just seeing me and eating what we usually eat. Not that this is the only reason for my overspend, I am clearly quite disorganized and an impulse shopper and eater. Meal planning has to be the waay to go. Good luck all at staying on track.
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 17th Oct 08, 11:21 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Morning!

I also got a £5 M&S voucher in the post this week for getting an insurance quote (didn't buy the insurance)
    Originally posted by rachelmk
    I suspect I got this too. However I thought it was junk mail & chucked it out. On just about the only week where they emptied the bins on time just as I put mine out. I only know as my Mum thanked me for getting her one too.

Sometimes, I'm just a bit too scatty for my own good!!
    Last edited by CherryPie; 17-10-2008 at 11:35 PM.
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 17th Oct 08, 11:21 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    mumzyof2-you could put the carcass in the slowcooker with some water and veggies. I break the carcass up a bit as others have said. Make sure you strain the stock well so your little ones or yourself dont end up with any bones. Its amazing how much will come off.

Ive done a big jelly for the weekend instead of my usual trifel I used 2 value jellies and a tin of broken mandarins plus about 1/4 of a flan case which I didnt get around to using(I will freeze it in pieces for future trifles).
    Total cost approx 42p Thats 2 pints of jelly so its big.
    Also did my branflake cake. I weighed my ingredients tonight as I hate cup measures.
    Here is what I used:
    8 oz bran flakes-slightly crushed by hand in the bowl to make mixing easier
    4 oz sugar(I suggest you try 6 oz tho as I don't like it very sweet)
    8 oz sultanas(half a 500g bag)
    enough milk to soak up all of the above-leave it to soak dor 15 mins-if stodgy-add more milk.
    Then mix in 3 teaspoons mixed spice(or less but I like mixed spice)
    8 oz SR flour
    I also added 2 beaten eggs for a change but this is optional.
    I put these into 2 x 2lb loaf tins-lined or greased on gasmark 4 just above the centre for around an hour-until they looked right.
    Cost approx 80p each.

Breadmaker just finished so a nice fresh lloaf for the morning before DH goes to work.
    I just had to try the branflake loaf so just had 2 slices. Oops!
    Just put my chicken carcass in the slowcooker with 2 halved onions on low. Tomorrow I will drain off the stock and see how much chicken there is-hopefully enough for soup.
    Just need to decide on something else savoury now.
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 17-10-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • puss14
    Ive made a meal plan for now until end of month, my mum has said she will help me with the cooking by taking it in turns and that if we had to we could live 6 months on what we have(she is such a gem).
    18th- chicken & silverbeet & herb sandwich
    19th- porcupines(a speciality of my mums made with mince and tomato, celery and rice )double batch 4 another day
    20th-sausage casserole (dble batch)and mashed potato(dble batch 4 sheperds pie tomorrow) & steamed veg
    21st- sheperds pie (lentiled up to stretch out) with grn salad
    22nd- lentil curry + rice+ steamed zuccini
    23d- beef & vegie stirfry & rice
    24th-sausage casserole + mash
    25th- roast vegies + yoghurt dip(not sure how this will go, but will try and make)
    26th- porcupines + steamed veg
    27th- pumpkin/potato soup
    28th- fried rice
    29th- fried rice
    30th- soup
    31st- vegetarian lasagne + salad

Luckily 4 me I have a fair few vegies in my garden, it is quite ridiculous that I am over budget and I am really going to make an effort to stay on track for rest of month and try for less next month. It might help my weight too

I have a fair bit of long life soy milk and normal powdered milk so I am just going to try and make do. My mum is a big inspiration, shes lived on far less than this with 3 kids and did a great job.
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
  • Jacks xxx
    That menu sounds lovely Puss- and so does your Mum - but I have to ask: What the blue blazes are Porcupines???? :confused:

I mean I know what porcupines are :rolleyes: , but I'm assuming you're not serving up prickly critters for tea???

On my front I have just caved in and ordered another fruit and veg box from Abel & Cole as there's another special offer on. (Spend 25 and get a free veg box) so I bought hubby a bottle of Organic Brandy to put away for Christmas. Job done! The code is comeback1
    I'm hoping to rein it in a bit between now and December so that I can put away some Christmas treats in advance and still stay within budget as I tend to get a bit cavalier with my spending in the run up to Christmas!

I think it's probably because I'm in the shops so much chasing down gifts etc, so if I know I already have it all done and dusted and we don't *need* anything I hope I'll be able to be more sensible and not get so carried away with it all.

So today I'm doing cupboard inventory and a meal plan to make the most of what we've got, then I'm going to order in a Christmas meat box in from somewhere (Any recommendations?)

Apologies for mentioning the !!!!!!mas word if you're trying to avoid it for a while longer

Have a great Saturday! (and think of me sat on the cold hard floor next to the freezer with my clipboard! )

Love Jacks xxx

PS Glad you're feeling better Mrs M!

PPS Ooh get you Mumzy making soup like a fully fledged OS-er. Tell us how you got on chick as I've not been that brave yet.

PPPS Juliemk How the heck did you get out of the door in 15 minutes flat??? (I Think you shoulkd get an award as it takes me that long to get dressed!) Oversleeping's horrid isn't it? So don't beat yourself up hon. Worse things happen at sea an all that!
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
    • cw18
    • By cw18 18th Oct 08, 7:25 AM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 85,994 Thanks
    cw18
    puss14 -- glad to see you're staying on board, and I agree with the others that it sounds like you have a wonderful Mum giving you off-line support as well
    Cheryl
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,287Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter