Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.
    • 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. 27th Sep 08 at 5:14 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September Grocery Challenge.
    As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Page 24
  • dink1
    HI Guys

ooooppppssss! just been shopping today and spent most of the budget, sill the freezers are full and cupboards bursting. I just need to plan the meals now. Only he fresh F+V n milk left to get so stand a small chance of staying in budget!?!?!?!?!
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
  • CravingSaving

HALLOW,EEN FOOD IDEAS
    Last year I got lovely satsumas and drew a jack,o,lantern face on them with a black marker.They look great.I also give the kids very shiny(I polish them with a dry napkin)red apples and tell them they are poisoned apples specially prepared by a wicked witch.Another idea is to put black icing on little cup cakes,and top with a jelly filled bug sweet.They look totally disgusting so the kids love them.Warning!One year a very greedy little boy who attended my sons halloween party ate way too many of the black iced bug cakes and had blue poos for a week because of the food dye .
    Originally posted by shelovestobuystuff

Ooops, should I really be laughing at that?
    If I had a pound for every...... oh sod it, if I just had a pound I'd be richer!
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 7th Oct 08, 12:53 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Afternoon all.

Popped to Tesco yesterday for some milk and f+v and was shocked that 6pints of semi has gone from 2.12 to 2.25 (Asda didnt even have any milk in other than organic milk yesterday?) and as usual there was no cheap The One milk. We get through about 18pints of milk a week sometimes more sometimes less depending on who is drinking it and having cereal etc. Also Tesco own mmmm ice cream had gone up from 99p to 1.15. There were other bits and pieces I noticed as well but cant remember now.

Do you know what really annoyed me - all the special offers and things were all for carp food. Chocolate 2 big bars for 1, biscuits 3 for 2.50, BOGOF on crisps and sweets and biscuits but none for fruit or veg or anything like that (or at least none that I found in my Mr T). How are we supposed to feed our kids well when its so expensive? I also do slimming world and find it hard to eat the right things for a cheap price whereas if I just ate all the processed foods all the time I would be better off money wise?? Ho hum.

I am also attempting brown bread in the BM again. Had to throw yet another loaf this morning that was like a brick! The white comes out perfect everytime yet the brown is a nightmare. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want a 100% brown loaf rather than half and half if its possible.

I must update my signature too.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (12), DD (10) & DS (7) and 2 mental beagles
  • scotsaver
    Afternoon everyone - just logged on to update my spends in Iceland this morning and I've noticed that the message I posted this morning has been deleted.:confused: It wasn't Off Topic so I'm a bit confused, can anyone shed any light on where I've gone wrong - I only usually post once a day and thought I was following the correct guidelines.:confused:

Anyway, I know I said I would only buy Milk when I popped to Iceland but they had fresh Lean Mince whoopsied to 1 a pack so I picked up 4, stashed away in the Freezer now.

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• cw18
    • By cw18 7th Oct 08, 1:30 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,988 Thanks
    cw18
    I'm still at a no go re the shops and am on my 6th NSD, trying to use stores and empty the freezer(which I've been trying to do for ages,) but you know how it is, take 1 thing out to cook with put 2 or 3 meals back in
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain - thats just like me..take 1 thing out -make something and have to try and get twice as much back into the same gap
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    Well, I've just spent almost an hour and half emptying out a small chest freezer and the freezer in our fridge/freezer (full larder size), during which time I made a stock list as I sorted and repacked, put it back in a more logical order (size of packs/boxes as well as types of things together -- or at least in the same freezer) -- and couldn't believe the problems I had getting the last few things back in! And as they were almost full 1kg bags of veg they weren't exactly small either :confused:

It's also frightening how much meat I have in there without having realised !!! Even without working out what to make to use up the various packs of mince (1750g in total), chicken breast fillets (19), stewing/casserole meat (9 meals worth - mix of lamb, beef and diced turkey thigh), joints (1 beef, 1 pork, 1 lamb and a 3kg chicken) and figure out how to incorporate the quorn mince/pieces/fillets (that the blokes won't eat if they know what it is) I've got enough for 28 days

I'm going to make a list in a Word document and transfer it over to my mobile phone (internet type, with word and excel) in the vain hope that next time I see some Whoopsie! bargains on meat I stop and check what I've actually got in before buying it
    Cheryl
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 7th Oct 08, 1:52 PM
    • 4,639 Posts
    • 35,503 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Hey there guys

still not spent anything yet ...but going out today so will probably spend some there but fingers crossed I wont still have my money from taking the pans back so I will use that ,,
    I have been making my own bread and we have lots of veggies in the garden and millions of tomatoes still but they will run out soon hopefully which are lovely,,
    really just living out of the freezer and the garden but we will need milk soon
    I have a joint of lamb to roast today so i had better get on with it

See you later

KAAT xx
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 7th Oct 08, 2:23 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Oh I know, trust me I am not having a go at Jamie personally (I rather like him ). He is contracted to Sainsburys and is just doing his job. Yes, I agree that any kind of advertising bringing home the message about home cooking is a good one. My heart went out to the people on his programme last week who had financial problems. I do hope Jamie wasnt taking them all to Sainsburys to get their shopping - maybe he has to.... :confused:

I get frustrated about the silliest of things sometimes - the injustices in the world that I cant control - like not everyone having access to MSE! :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by CravingSaving
    Sorry, didn't mean to come across as having a go, I know exactly what you mean and I agree with you - we learn so much on here and others are lucky enough to know/have been taught the same outside of MSE, but for those (like me before here) outside it must be better to have some kind of cheap recipe that than nothing at all, that was all I was trying to say.

I think you're right about injustice too, and I also believe that they should teach kids about how to run a home at school - we did home economics when I was at school, and learned how to pay bills, how to cook (proper meals, not just how to cook carp that my DD & DS were taught) and even real basics like how to wash your hair and save shampoo! (cap full of shampoo, use 2/3rds of it on first wash, fill cap with water and use rest for second wash for those of you who wanted to know... ) Basic housekeeping is a must nowadays as much as it was then and it was fun too.

Sorry guys, rant over, feel free to delete if necessary Pink...

EDIT: Just read your post below CravingSaving, and I think we are both on the same wavelength - we did learn ironing, cleaning, cooking, meal planning, everything as I'm sure others will remember - maybe we should get Jamie started on that next...
    Last edited by Flylady_Flower; 07-10-2008 at 4:07 PM.
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
  • mumzyof2
    Spent 1.09 today on robinsons cordial at my corner shop.
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
  • CravingSaving
    Sorry, didn't mean to come across as having a go, I know exactly what you mean and I agree with you - we learn so much on here and others are lucky enough to know/have been taught the same outside of MSE, but for those (like me before here) outside it must be better to have some kind of cheap recipe that than nothing at all, that was all I was trying to say.

I think you're right about injustice too, and I also believe that they should teach kids about how to run a home at school - we did home economics when I was at school, and learned how to pay bills, how to cook (proper meals, not just how to cook carp that my DD & DS were taught) and even real basics like how to wash your hair and save shampoo! (cap full of shampoo, use 2/3rds of it on first wash, fill cap with water and use rest for second wash for those of you who wanted to know... ) Basic housekeeping is a must nowadays as much as it was then and it was fun too.

Sorry guys, rant over, feel free to delete if necessary Pink...
    Originally posted by denisefowler
    No need to apologise! I didn't for one minute think you were having a go, I just wanted to make sure people didn't think that I was having a go at Jamie!!

I never did Home Economics at school, but it sounds like something that should be compulsory, especially learning how to cook basics and how to budget, oh and how to change bedding, and ironing.... :rolleyes:

I get a feeling some of our kids will come out of school with 7 A*s, degrees coming out of their ears, but be totally lost in the "real world".

Ooops, I have gone off on one again havent I?
    If I had a pound for every...... oh sod it, if I just had a pound I'd be richer!
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 7th Oct 08, 4:18 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    I've spent £68 - £33 in Home Bargains and the rest in Mr.M's.
    Got so many carrier bags.
    Got the Lucozade Alert in HB's 12 bottles for £2 which is great as they are about 89p normally. I definitley wouldn't give this to children as there's a really high caffeine content in it. It does say on the bottle not suitable for children, good, all the more for us!
    Couldn't find any real bargains anywhere though.
    You know when you get that feeling, there's loads of food there but you just don't fancy any of it?
    I think I'll do fish with mash tonight, I'm so cold I'm sure I'm getting depressed.
    Last edited by Barneysmom; 07-10-2008 at 4:21 PM.
    Barney is my border collie.
    • lilmisskitkat
    • By lilmisskitkat 7th Oct 08, 4:20 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    lilmisskitkat
    Hi

Just updated my sig, had to go to asda today for some bits and pieces, spent 23.59 but it included the baby's milk (8 ), nappies, milk, bread fruit etc so not too bad, i didn't buy anything i didn't need either so was chuffed with myself.

OH away until late tomorrow night and DD at my mams for tea so i'll have one of the single portions of something out of the freezer. Need to make more soup for dinners, so will make spicy tomato and lentil later on if i can be bothered (sooooooooooo tired after DS been up coughing for the past 3 nights). Going to make some bunny stew in the slowcooker tomorrow, will have it for tea if OH back in time or will put it in freezer for another time.

Off to try and summon up the strength to do something constructive lol

Kate xxx
  • leyla-aurelia
    I've been spending and spending, narly a quarter of my budget gone already. Nothing today though, (well car parking to go to a meeting, but no food) so hopefully a NSD--aah, just remembered I need to get some asprin for DH who isn't well so better get going, forget NSD. Ah well, always tomorrow!
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 7th Oct 08, 5:15 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    Courgette flatbread recipe as requested
    for those who wanted it, i didnt have any cumin or nigella seeds so just left them out and i ground some pepper in instead.

Courgette flatbreads

225g (8oz) wholemeal flour
    4 tsps cumin seeds
    4tsp nigella seeds (black cumin)
    100g (3 1/2 oz) courgette coarsely grated
    2tbsp oil (I used vegetable)

Seive the flour, add spices and a little salt (i left salt out).
    Press courgettes to remove liquid and add.
    Slowly add 120-150ml (4fl oz) water and add oil.
    Knead to make a smooth dough.
    Cover and leave to rest for 30 mins
    Divide into 8 balls
    Roll each into a thin circle ( 6 inch)
    Fry for 1 min on each side. keepwarm. I dry fried mine.

Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• gtx
    oohhhh what are you crochetting? im nosey

just a hat to start with, i've already knitted a pair of mitts, can't do gloves

another nsd - had bolognaise tonight dh didn't like it - which i found strange coz it's the same as what was in the lasagne last week and he loved that:confused:

got to go - all 4 of us do tae kwon do on tuesdays

take care everyone

DFW#1062 LBM Aug 08 - DFD JUN '22
    • tirlittan
    • By tirlittan 7th Oct 08, 5:34 PM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 8,890 Thanks
    tirlittan
    Hi,

finally had to go to do more shopping. Spent 18.36,but that incluced household/personal stuff as well, plus bought a sandwich for lunch. I hope that's all I need to spend for food before 15th as don't have much money left before pay day. Should have enough now for lunches and dinners. Oh no, forgot to buy more porridge for breakfast; hopefully can get that after going to dinner at my friends as I'm planning a NSD for tomorrow. Sig updated.
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts!
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 7th Oct 08, 6:24 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi Everyone went to MrS tonight. Spent 47.83 did get a chicken for the weekend. Milk has gone up to 1.53 did manage to get some ground almond which is on special offer if anyone needs any for their xmas cakes. Have a good evening .
    MFIT Challenge save 40k
    48828.05/46842.89/-1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
  • CravingSaving
    You know when you get that feeling, there's loads of food there but you just don't fancy any of it?
    Originally posted by Barneysmom
    Yup, that'll be when there is no chocolate in the house! :rolleyes:
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 7th Oct 08, 8:43 PM
    • 27,380 Posts
    • 116,482 Thanks
    candygirl
    Popped into ALDI today and got a few bits; bread, breadsticks, mushrooms , milk, n lots of treats and spent 15.24
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • cw18
    • By cw18 7th Oct 08, 9:41 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,988 Thanks
    cw18
    I spent all of 78p in Aldi this morning -- a small cauli and 1kg carrots. Going back for more veg tomorrow, and am also picking some up for DD -- which she'll then collect from me when she collects my elder GD from after school club.

The offers this week are brill for us..... the things I spotted that we use are brocolli (500g), cauli (small, but half will do us a meal used alongside half a pack of the brocolli and with a carrot or two), carrots (1kg), onions (1kg), and savoy cabbage (large) -- all for 39p each !!!

Question for folks -- having done the stock take on my freezer earlier this afternoon, I'm now looking at a few of the bits and wondering how to make best use of them.

I have two packs of pork mince (250g each), and I used 250g lean beef mince to make meatballs last week -- which went down really well with the blokes when served with pasta and sauce (which surprised me)...... But can I make meatballs with pork, or is it likely to collapse when cooking it? I didn't use anything except HM breadcrumbs with the beef mince, but looking at the pork am thinking I may have to use egg to bind it :confused: Or can anyone suggest an alternative use for pork mince (given hubby doesn't like "dry" meals made with mince and I gag when cooking don't like curry). Any (and all) suggestions gratefully appreciated
    Cheryl
  • bullet
    I managed to have a NSD day today, but will have to buy milk tomorrow. We had a turkey and ham pie with broccoli for tea yesterday and turkey with mashed potato and broccoli for tea today. Still got some mashed potato left over so will make cheese potato cakes for lunch tomorrow and cauliflower cheese with brussel sprouts and carrots for tea. The cheese sauce is already made and frozen.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

725Posts Today

7,042Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: If there is a 'discretionary service charge' added to your bill in a restaurant, do you alway? https://t.co/6Jopw4tkhQ

• Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• Follow Martin