Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Aug 08, 2:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.
    • 28th Aug 08, 2:29 PM
    September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. 28th Aug 08 at 2:29 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?

This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 18-09-2008 at 9:10 AM.
Page 84
    • milliejo
    • By milliejo 28th Sep 08, 8:13 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 5,152 Thanks
    milliejo
    This was the first month we have done this and what a shockI budgeted at £300

but I wish to declare at £400 for September.

Please put me down for £375 for October.

We did get better as the month went on & the figure includes all food & household items, wine & takeaways
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 28th Sep 08, 8:14 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi Everyone.
    Mrs M could you please put me down for £190 budget for October and a final figure of £174.90 for September. So under budget.

Many thanks for all your hard work on the thread MrsM and Penny & Pink.
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £48828.05/£46842.89/-£1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
  • Dontpanicyet
    Good morning,

Can I declare £336.71 for September please, budget of £300 so Must Try Harder next month. First month doing this, has REALLY opened my eyes to the pitfall of offers, brands and not making the most of whats in my cupboards
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 29th Sep 08, 7:54 AM
    • 7,769 Posts
    • 15,645 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Hi there

Back from holidays and can declare a September total of £71.51 out of a projected £80 - my first underspend in months so I'm pleased

Here's hoping I can keep it up in October!

• turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 29th Sep 08, 9:01 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    Mrs M I would like to declare £156.45 for SEPT.
    I think that is everything. See you all in Oct Thread.
    GC £7.79/£225 per month ~ wk1 £ 7.79/ £50
  • smetf
    Declaring September
    Hi all
    Found that missing receipt so declaring September at £360.38 that final M and S dine for £10 and not getting cheapest milk did it for us this month but like a few others have said am still pleased - it is sooo much better than it used to be despite the rising prices .

Thanks
    Smetf

• BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 29th Sep 08, 9:23 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    I am trying a new approach for October since I failed so miserably last month. I have transferred £230 over to my pre-pay mastercard, and this is for TESCO, and nothing else, .......x
    Originally posted by kalojac
    Hope you don't mind me cutting your post Kalojac, but I am intrigued with this idea. Can you only use the card in Tesco, or can you use it anywhere till the balance has been used up? I've obviously been hibernating as far as finances are concerned, because I know nothing about this method of payment....
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• rellaella
    • By rellaella 29th Sep 08, 10:24 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    rellaella
    Hi there, I am sorry to say I failed miserably with September challenge got back on track the last couple of weeks but already went way over my £250 budget. Am starting afresh with a more realistic budget of £400 for October. Thankyou
    Weightloss 2013 = 3lb/40lb
    £2 savers club = £2
    Weekly Grocery Challenge w/c 20/1 = £101.97/£30
    Jan NSD = 2/10
    • cw18
    • By cw18 29th Sep 08, 10:53 AM
    • 8,083 Posts
    • 86,086 Thanks
    cw18
    Hope you don't mind me cutting your post Kalojac, but I am intrigued with this idea. Can you only use the card in Tesco, or can you use it anywhere till the balance has been used up? I've obviously been hibernating as far as finances are concerned, because I know nothing about this method of payment....
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    The ones I've seen can be used anywhere -- but they charge you fees!!

Monthly fee (per account)1 £4.95 per month
    All purchase transactions Free

flexiplus Account (if applicable)
    Purchase transactions £0.99 each

All Accounts
    Card issue fee (new, additional3 & replacement) £9.95
    Account maintenance (only applies if Account has no transactions including top-ups for a period of 120 days from date of last transaction) Up to £4.95 per month
    Top-up by cash2 Free
    Check your balance and recent transactions online Free
    ATM withdrawals UK (Non UK) £0.99 (£3.00)
    Cash withdrawals at bank £3.00
    Cancellation (for refund of cash value in the Account) £10.00
    Foreign transaction 2.75% of amount withdrawn/spent

Personally I object to paying for someone to hold my money for me, when it could be earning interest in a bank account (or being used to pay off debts) -- but I know that these are possibly the only kind of card some people can get to allow them to do on-line shopping.
    Cheryl
  • helenm2008
    I'd like to declare £204.76 for September. Still over, but by less than last month, and that includes 2 free-range chickens, blimey they are expensive! No more roasts when we have guests to dinner, I'm thinking.

Please put me down for £200 again for October MrsM. We've got nothing in the cupboards or the freezer, but I'm determined to get the hang of this!!!

Thank you - Helen
    Debt: June 2013 £2000

Weight-Loss By December 2013
    14lb/
  • ladyroughneck
    Hi All.
    Please can I be added to the list again Mrs Mc?, i never went away, i just haven't been able to log on for a bit
    Please could i declare £135.35 for Sept out of a budget of £190and then i'll move over to the october thread.
    Many thanks

• wendywitch
    • By wendywitch 29th Sep 08, 3:39 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 15,029 Thanks
    wendywitch
    I haven't been round much and I've managed to lose my receipts so I'm just going to start again in October's challenge.
    Please put me down for £250 again for October.
  • andrinaperry
    Just reporting in my final figure 268.27/320 very pleased.

Andrinaperry
    January - nsd 10/20 grocery 153/400
    • boredofbeingathome
    • By boredofbeingathome 29th Sep 08, 4:56 PM
    • 15,386 Posts
    • 37,539 Thanks
    boredofbeingathome
    Hi all very chuffed as only spent another £28 on top so final tally came in at £135/ £150am off to add up for next month.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation
    • susan946
    • By susan946 29th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    susan946
    Hello again Mrs Mc
    Can I declare £347.45 for September please and please put me down for £350 again in October.

That's just under budget so I'm quite pleased and I have quite a lot in the freezer and in the cupboards for next month.

See you all in the October board

Sue
  • crazyaboutsaving
    well done crazy about saving thats an impressive meal plan.
    Is there any chance of the recipie for the ham and scallopped potatoes and also the ex mex skillet and what on earth is chicken hurry? I hope you don t mind posting these.
    Well just finished my night shift and mr s has reduced nearly every basic in the store over night.(so im really tired lol)
    Some only by one or two pence but others by up to 20p (salad cream etc) i feel a basics price war coming yeah.
    Good luck every-one and i wish you s a nsd.
    TTFN
    Originally posted by pink princess
    Hiya Pink Princess:

here's the recipe for texmex skillet: It's a slight variation because it's one of my american recipes and I don't have proper measurements, although it's easy to throw in whatever and it'll turn out just fine.

spicy sausage (of any type - you can use turkey, beef, pork or veggie ones)
    chilli powder
    cumin
    1 can tomato soup
    1/4 can of water (from the tomato soup can)
    regular long grain rice (value works great)
    can of corn
    1 can beans (any kind - kidney work best)

cut up the sausage and cook in a big frying pan or pot. Add the spices (sorry no measurements, just to your own taste). Add the can of soup, water, and rice. cover and Cook until the rice is tender. add the corn and beans. heat through. Voila! Done!

Chicken Hurry is easy peasy: (sorry for this it's also an american recipe so the measurements are in cups!)

21/2 - 3 lbs of chicken parts (thighs, wings, drumsticks, whatever)
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup brown sugar packed
    one packet of onion soup mix (the dry ones in the envelopes)

Mix all the ingredients and pour over chicken. bake in a covered dish on 180c
    for about an hour. I serve with rice and green beans or corn. Yummy!

for measurements - 1 cup is about 250ml. hope that helps!
    Debt at highest 01/01/2008- $79,385.32
    Debt now 01/03/2009 - $63,194.72
    DFW Nerd Club Member #993
    Feb NSD challenge 9/10 days, Mar NSD 5/10 days
    Mar grocery challenge 221.02/250
    • cherie1122
    • By cherie1122 29th Sep 08, 6:49 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,732 Thanks
    cherie1122
    I'm declaring £190.10 for September. I'm pleased but think I could do better.

Please put me down for £200 again in October. I used to spend over £100 every week in Tesco and buy odds and ends during the week too so this is really good (and my bank balance is staying in credit too)

• JayJay14
    I'd like to declare at £210.23 much better than I expected earlier in the month

Off to the October thread...........
    • greent
    • By greent 29th Sep 08, 8:28 PM
    • 8,196 Posts
    • 83,273 Thanks
    greent
    Declaring Sept
    Mrs M - I'm declaring at £474.14 - literally scraping under my £475 budget!! 3 takeaways totalling £40 & some xmas goodies/ pressies included in this figure. This also includes the veg box delivery I'm having tomorrow - just checked price on my online a/c :-)

Budget for Oct already on the list (you're a star Mrs M!) so I shall see everyone over on the new thread!

Thanks to Pink, Penny, MrsM, angelnikki & rosieben

greent
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £532.58/£500
  • TheBees
    Over again!
    Despite having a £50 tesco gift card earlier this month we are still over by £26!!! So we are declaring at £376 for September . Must try harder!
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,732Posts Today

7,285Users online

Martin's Twitter