Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Aug 08, 2:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.
    • 28th Aug 08, 2:29 PM
    September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. 28th Aug 08 at 2:29 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?

This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 18-09-2008 at 9:10 AM.
Page 67
  • puss14
    Have spent nearly everything in left in my budget $108.20 leaving a grand sum of $3.05 left for the rest of the month. I am sure we will be fine as I have heaps of food and have garden vegies to help and plenty of long life soy milk. I am actually pleased as not going to the supermarket means I wont be buying junk food. Next month I am going to reduce my budget to $370 which is a 10% reduction on this months $400. I may not be doing as well as other members but considering myself and my OH, 2 dogs and a cat were spending $550- $600 per month on groceries etc, I think I am definitely doing better. Thats the main thing, being aware and trying to do better
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
  • rosieben
    ... I may not be doing as well as other members but considering myself and my OH, 2 dogs and a cat were spending $550- $600 per month on groceries etc, I think I am definitely doing better. Thats the main thing, being aware and trying to do better
    Originally posted by puss14
    You're doing well puss, you've already reduced your spend by a third! The good thing about the GC is that we're not competing with each other, we're each just trying to do the best we can relevant to our own situation.

My latest update, my sis took me to Lidl yesterday and I spent £28 10 which puts me somewhat over budget; I'm not worried though as I stocked up on loads of good stuff for my storecupboard. I havent been to Lidl since I gave my car up last year, and it was a revelation to see how much lower the prices are compared to the couple of supermarkets I've been able to get to since then .
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • greent
    • By greent 20th Sep 08, 10:41 AM
    • 8,189 Posts
    • 83,195 Thanks
    greent
    Morning all!

Have just over £100 to last me to end of month - should hopefully scrape in, although I have a Waitrose delivery next Fri - may push that forward a few days :-) I do need to buy some hay for g pigs though - recent wet weather has meant a few days inside for them & they've got through quite a lot. I have also included in my spends this month some supermarket clothes, xmas pressies bought in supermarket and even some goodies for Xmas - so am actually quite pleased with myself :-)

Cupboards and freezers still full :-))) I need to buy bread at Mr T tomorrow for DD (the rest of use eat hm) and maybe some milk. HG toms coming to an end - blight got the plants :-( We do still have onions, peppers, chillis, carrots & cucumbers growing though :-)

Went to Mr A today & boughht some 50p deals (OJ, butter for baking, sausages (ready for Bonfire night!), baking pots & carrots for g pigs) It was manic in tehre - I was there by 9.30 and the bread had all gone and the queues were horrendous (I went self scan tho)

Mr A are selling Dove organic white bread flour at 69p for 1.5kg - I really like this anyway and it's a bargain at this price (can be up to about £1.50 ish elsewhere) - so I bought the last 2 packs - which we'll get through in a week, so no guilt required ;-) It's not *that* much dearer than stores own non organic

Well done thsoe who have already delared under! Good luck to those of us still continuing.....

gt
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £513.64/£500
  • ZoeGirl
    I have to say I declare under if I spend nothing for the rest of the month,

Hopefully that will be the case.

(Oh, and in a week or so expect to be bombarded with extra cheap recipes since I am getting bored with my menu plans and have allocated a day of my holiday to looking for yummy cheap alternatives on here and elsewhere in cook books etc. )
    "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without!!"
    Nov NSD: ?/30 Nov Make 10 Day ?/300
    Get Rid Of Debt: ?/2000 !!
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 20th Sep 08, 11:33 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Sorry I haven't been able to post or keep up with reading everyone else's this month as it has been manic at work and I am too tired to sit down in front of the computer when I get home!

I have updated my signature and was feeling pretty confident that I would survive till 2nd October, but yesterday DD1 had to be 'rescued' - she came home from holiday with a nasty bout of tonsillitus and couldn't walk to the bus stop to get home. I had to do a dash from work to pick her up and had to get back to do a presentation which I made with about 2 minutes to spare! Luckily she has now got some antibiotics and will get better - how she managed to get herself to the airport and on to the train I will never know! Poor thing is supposed to be starting uni on Monday - don't think she will make the first day!

Anyhow, I have had to go out to buy more supplies - fruit juice and eggs and ice cream so I can give her food she can swallow easily. This has made a dent in my budget - but what the heck! That's what mums are for!

Good luck everyone with the rest of this month's challenge - I will try to keep up!

Moniker
    • natzini
    • By natzini 20th Sep 08, 11:47 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    natzini
    Hi everyone
    Had a rough couple of weeks but am trying to get back on the wagon.
    Not updated my siggy yet with what I've already spent, but I'll get there soon. Am still in my pjs (I'm allowed, shush!), but am going to have a nice bath soon then go and clear out the fridge and sort the cupboards. Then tomorrow I'll pop to Mr A and Mr L and get what we need in. Am trying to make my packed lunches as healthy as possible, as well as keeping the cost down and making them quick and easy... here's hoping I get it right soon.

Un sou est un sou
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 20th Sep 08, 12:27 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Hi all,

Have been out this morning as had to get some stuff for DS's terrapin and hubbys spider plus a new back door lock as DS lost the keys... Spent £48.73 out of extras budget so have gone over there, but not too depressed as we sold a go-kart on ebay and the only reason we brought stuff for DS's terrapin was because we had that - otherwise I would still have £3.26 left...

GC money going well though - I should only need to buy fresh fruit next week so if I behave and don't go shopping, We will be under for the first time since joining ! Yay me!!!
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • Sosh
    • By Sosh 20th Sep 08, 1:26 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Sosh
    I've been so busy at work, I haven't been able to post, or even keep up with the thread.

I have been keeping up with the challenge though and so I'm declaring at £255.52. Can you put me down for £255 next month please. I don't want to drop it too much as I've got 3 birthday parties to cater for. Also, I've just been asked to be the cake stall at my church's fund raiser, so i think most of my free time will be spent baking!
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children.
    • rockie4
    • By rockie4 20th Sep 08, 2:04 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 9,892 Thanks
    rockie4
    I went to Asda this morning for a few bits for todays cooking marathon and ended up spending £11.70 I'm pretty sure though that I will only need milk and teabags next weekend to see us through to the end of the month, might have to send OH to do the shopping
    I now have a courgette cake, several apple/apple & blackberry crumbles and 12 veggie haggis cooling in the kitchen -smells delicious!
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 20th Sep 08, 2:08 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    I didnt join this month as I had a week's holiday and wasn't sure what to put. I have only spent £52.50 so far but need to shop today. Have continued to shop from my full to bursting freezers and am pleased to report that the update on my freezer list is now down to 2 and a bit sheets from 3 1/2 so we are getting there slowly. Not sure what to do about xmas , will just be me and DS so seems daft to go mad on food. Will search the xmas threads for inspiration. Mr T today want some cooking apples to try the apple bars someone posted, DS is an apple flavour fiend. Enjoy the sun everyone.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 20th Sep 08, 2:14 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    I went to Asda this morning for a few bits for todays cooking marathon and ended up spending £11.70 I'm pretty sure though that I will only need milk and teabags next weekend to see us through to the end of the month, might have to send OH to do the shopping
    I now have a courgette cake, several apple/apple & blackberry crumbles and 12 veggie haggis cooling in the kitchen -smells delicious!
    Originally posted by rockie4
    How do you make the Veggie Haggis ? Today I have made key lime pie (at DH request), choc fudge, about to do a malt loaf and also some spicy chicken for tea. If anyone want the recipes just ask but won't post for now as don't want to do a huge post ).
    (Feel free to PM the recipe to me, and Pink feel free to delete this post if its cluttering up the board )
    Thanks
    x OS
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 20th Sep 08, 3:34 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Good afternoon all

Just popped in to ask if anyone knows how to make tiger bread,,like asda makes,,it is very nice and would like to try to make it.

I may just make it in this time with my grocery challenge,,just off to update siggie again,,lasst time ,,fingers crossed

ROCKY4.........I would like to know how to make veggie haggis as well please;;

thanks

KAAT xx
    ps made mango chutney ,,but not going to make any more as too expensive,, will just make tomato chutney from now on ,,as I have loads,,3 1/2 lbs every other day like these

see you later

KAAT xx
    ps,,, btw MrS has orange top milk ,,,£1 for 4pints(or 2litres),,just thought someone would like to know
    Last edited by KAAT_LADY; 20-09-2008 at 4:40 PM.
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• fallen angel shelley
    can you please put me down for £160 for next month, thanks.
    Back on MSE again! to take control of my finances and not let it control me. May grocery challenge £41.96/140
  • ravylesley
    Spent £40 today on bits and bats from poundland and magazines for the kids Its Saturday and the kids always get a magazine and a bag of sweets so couldnt deny them.But with only £34 left and 10 days to go I have the distinct feeling I'm going to go over But I have spent £120 on meat for the freezer this month so I dont feel too bad about it.

Made a Lamb and veg pie for tea which everyone loved and as it was from leftover lamb in the freezer I am quite pleased.Topped it with mashed potatoes and cheese instead of pastry.mmmmm

On the plus side today I was given a full carrier bag of Bramleys so I'll be cooking and freezing them ready for pies and crumbles over the winter.I was looking at Bramleys on the market on Wednesday and they are 70p/lb I must have got 10lb for nowt

Lesleyxx
    • c l a i r e
    • By c l a i r e 20th Sep 08, 4:48 PM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 61,940 Thanks
    c l a i r e
    Hi everyone, I'm not doing as well as i had hoped for my first month. Three weeks in and i have spent £266 of my £280 budget. I'm going to try and claw it back by drastically reducing this weeks shop and ordering online. TBH when i go instore i get too easily distracted and end up buying items i don't need and which you can't even make a meal out of

But its only made me more determined to do better next month. I've decided to concentrate more on making meal plans for each week and then doing an online tesco order for the bulk of that food and cleaning products. i always get my meat and fish from either sainsburys or m&s so need to concentrate more on buying what i like when its on offer and freezing it. I know this is all old news to you lot but i'm slowly getting there.

Oh and stocked up on charmin toilet roll in lidl (£6.99 for 24 rolls) so thats slightly makes me feels better about my high total so far, and i won't have to buy any more for a good while.

Thanks again to everyone who posts, as it really helps me keep motivated.
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 20th Sep 08, 4:49 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    howdy peeps,

well i've blown the budget, spent £18.31 in MrT and £6.42 in Lidl. however i think that should be everything for the rest of the month now, i'd forgotten when i set it this month that we'd run down our store pre wedding so now i need to work on slowly bringing them back up.

i did make some lovely scones the other day, i adapted the recipe from the dairy home cookbook, and here it is before DenF asks

all purpose scone recipe
    prep 25 mins (i took 10 if that)
    cooking 10 mins (10 - 15 is realistic)
    cook at 200C or 180C fan

8oz /225g sr flour
    half a tsp of salt (i left this out)
    2oz / 50g butter (used stork)
    a quarter pint / 150ml milk (i use one egg then make up with milk to the amount required)
    extra milk for brushing the tops

sift flour, mix the flour and butter together to resemble breadcrumbs
    add the liquid and mix with a fork/knife, should be soft but not sticky.
    turn out onto a floured surface and knead til smooth then roll out til 1cm thick. (i just turned out and patted it with floured hands til about 1-2 cms thick)
    cut into rounds with cutters (i sliced with a knife and had squares and rectangles)
    brush tops with milk
    put on greased baking tray and bake for 10-15 mins
    serve!

Options
    *cheese scones, add about a handful of grated cheese and i added a pinch of smoked paprika, can use cayenne, dried english mustard etc. add a tiny bit of cheese on the top of each scone.
    *fruit scones, i added about 3oz TV mixed dried fruit and after brushing the tops with milk i sprinkled with a little sugar.
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• echelon101
    • By echelon101 20th Sep 08, 6:00 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    echelon101
    Cone of Chips = 50p

I haven't had them in an age so thought I might buy some
    Buy for value not cost.
    Feb Grocery = £55.87 / 80
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 20th Sep 08, 6:20 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Meant to say earlier when I posted that Sainsbury's are still doing their 1% fat milk at £1 for 2litres instead of the usual £1-44. I bought two more to put in the freezer so at least I won't have to buy milk next week! Don't know how long this is going to last though (the price reduction I mean).

Moniker
  • ShelBell
    Can I drop out of the challenge please. Don't even have £50 a week anymore and its too depressing trying to work out how much I do have so am just not spending anything and keeping my fingers crossed.
    Weight loss to date - 8st 13lbs
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 20th Sep 08, 7:37 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    aw SHELBEL,, sorry to see you are dropping out ,,hope you are keeping well ,,and hope to see you soon

Thanks IOIWE for the scone recipe...I had cheese scones the other week for the first time and they were lovely with MARMITE on ,,DH doesnt like then he likes fruit in his ,,with clotted cream and strawberry jam and butter..

This month finishes on Monday and I am over the limit now maybe next month I will do it ,,I must do it sometime surely

See you soon

KAAT xx

ps ...thanks ROCKIE4 for the recipe for the veggie haggis
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

759Posts Today

6,497Users online

Martin's Twitter