Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Aug 08, 2:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.
    • 28th Aug 08, 2:29 PM
    September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. 28th Aug 08 at 2:29 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?

This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 18-09-2008 at 9:10 AM.
Page 57
  • kellitots
    Well, spent a grand total of £6.90 in ASDA last night. Got a lovely whoopsie dinner though..nice fresh baguette 5p, slice of ham 10p, slice of beef 11p, slice of turkey with stuffing 5p, 2 praline/choc croissants 15p each! So made a nice 'club sub' with mustard, and had half each, plus croissants for dessert. Yum and the whole thing cost 61p, bargain!

Also picked up 10 mini rolls for 10p which went in the freezer with a fair sized chunk of Danish salami which was 5p- got an old cheese and tomato pizza kicking about in the freezer so the salami will go nicely on that.

As for the non whoopsies, got a massive jar of Marmite for £2 which felt extravagant but I have got loads of wholemeal bread in the freezer and Marmite on toast is a nice healthy, filling snack for me. Boyfriend prefers Vegemite though, well he is Ozzie!

Also got 2 bags of porridge oats (500g bags @ around 40p each). Was AMAZED at the porridge section, it had been DECIMATED! All the large bags of cheap porridge was gone. Is there a national oat shortage or something!! Could have got the 1kg bag for about 10p cheaper but I'm not complaining..our local rip off shop does oats for 85p/500g!!!

Talking of our local rip off shop, the milk in there is a whopping £1.50 for 3.5 pints. Well I got the same size in ASDA for £1, couldn't believe it. I mean it's 3 for the price of 2! Must stock up and stick it in the fridge like my nan used to..lasts longer that way too (we live on the third floor and tend to keep milk up here all day so they go off waay too easily).

Oh..and I also picked up a huge jar of choc/hazelnut spread for £1.55..I love it on my porridge! It's ASDA own..tastes just as good as Nutella IMO. Also got the own brand tea (the one up from the smartprice) at 68p for 40 bags just to try it..I can't tell the difference with that and the expensive teas to be honest! Good stuff.

Hope everyone else is doing well. We are blasting our total this month but it is more necessity (lots of unexpected bills!). We have literally got £25 to last til the last day of the month but have a fair few meals in the freezer. Got a small chicken to go in the slow cooker tomorrow (well, later on!!) for a 'roast' dinner. Can't wait!!!

Blessed Be, Kel xxx
    Last edited by kellitots; 14-09-2008 at 2:43 AM.
    DFW Nerd 1050 (09/08 overdraft £1200)
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    GC Sept:£136/£200 Oct:£60/£160
    Smoke free since 08/08/08
    • kippers
    • By kippers 14th Sep 08, 6:15 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    kippers
    Well i've just changed my signature after working out how much i've spent. I have £54.57 left after yesterdays shop. My month ends on the 23rd of the month so i could come under budget if i'm careful. I have loads in the freezer too which is good.

Thanks for all the advice on this thread.

• Essex-girl
    • By Essex-girl 14th Sep 08, 6:57 AM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 46,632 Thanks
    Essex-girl
    Good Morning All

Have just updated my sig and am wizzing though this months budget. Have been using loads of stuff from the freezers and they are looking low so might have to increase next months figure for a massive stock up. Will have a good look round for whats on special.

Have to say we are sticking to our menu plans and eating really really well.

Oh well have definatley got to watch the pennies the next 2 weeks.
    x
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 14th Sep 08, 7:53 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Morning Peeps...haven't opened the curtains yet cuz I really don't want to know what's out there hehehe! See the smilies are still having a holiday tho...

Welcome RedBaileys..there is no problem at all when you start your Challenge--someone else is doing 15-14th too so you're not alone. If you put your target in Big RED font now, MrsMc will see it & add you to the list. There's an index of tried & tested recipes on page one, curtesy of Angelnikki & if you have some to add, just post & either AN or Rosieben can add it to the stash hehe.
    Most of us keep a talley in our sigs--mine is spend so far & NSD [No Spend Days]--& then you post your total spend in Big RED again at the end. It is entirely up to you what you decide to include; some do not put in alcohol while others add petrol--just decide how much you want to spend for the next 30-odd days & try not to go over.

Hope I've helped, & Good Luck with your first Challenge...we'll be here to help you get to the other side [insert 'smilie' smilie here!]
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Cornishpixie
    Hi, Been a bit busy in the town. I live right on the door step where the Tall Ships come in. Great atmosphere, parades and Fireworks. Anyhoo back to normality next week. Just popped in to declare total for the week gone as:£69.58 a whole 42p under budget (sorry don't know how to do red font).Should do a bit better next week, as ordered online and with 42p included should have £15.54 left for milk, pots and perhaps extra fruit for packs. Hope everyone has a good week
    • *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 14th Sep 08, 8:37 AM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    Morning all. Another sunny day here in Devon - was amazed that we managed to get 2 loads of washing dry outside yesterday and have a barbecue! (used up some of the burgers that have been languishing in the freezer when other planned barbies have been rained off this "summer" :rolleyes

I had a bash at making cheesy bread rolls yesterday, like the ones I picked up whoopsied in Mr T last week. They turned out pretty good

I used this recipe, with a couple of amendments:

Golden cheesy breads
    (makes 4 small loaves, each serves 1-2)

450g (1lb) strong plain white flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    25g (1oz) butter, diced
    2 teaspoons fast-action dried yeast
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    200g (7oz) gouda cheese, grated (I used mature cheddar as that was what I had in)
    About 300ml (1/2 pint) warm milk, plus extra for glazing
    I also added about 6 chopped spring onions and a similar amount of chopped chives)

1. Grease or flour 2 baking sheets and set aside. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl, then rub in the butter. Stir in the yeast, mustard powder and 2/3 of the cheese (and the onions and chives). Make a well in the centre, then add enough milk, mixing to form a soft dough.
    2. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape each piece into a round or oval and place on the baking sheets. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
    3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6. Lightly brush the tops of the loaves with a little extra milk, then sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
    4. Bake the loaves for 20-25 minutes, or until the bread is risen and golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped underneath. Cover loosely with foil towards the end of the cooking time if the loaves are browning too much. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
    As you can see from the pic, I made rolls rather than loaves. I divided the mix into 8, but they are quite big so I think this would easily make 10 or 12 good-sized rolls. I cooked them for about 13 minutes and they came our lovely. Can't really taste the onion and chive though, so I may try putting more in next time, or it might just be that the strong taste of the mature cheddar masks the flavour
    :confused:

(BTW, the recipe is from the Big Book of Bread by Anne Sheasby)

Need to go out looking for a new breadbin as ours has gone mouldy inside - again. I only scrubbed it out a couple of weeks ago. What does everyone else keep their bread in? Am I better off with a metal or ceramic bin, rather than a wooden one?

Have a lovely rest of the weekend, everyone.
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
    • Jules
    • By Jules 14th Sep 08, 9:12 AM
    • 296 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    Jules
    I seem to have done better this week with the grocery shopping. Spent £41.34 in Mr S and £4.60 in the butchers and have enough to take me through next week and into the following if I follow my menu plan!
    My total spend to now is £215.75 .

I am sailing close to my budgetted £225 so am definitely going to go over this month but never mind, better luck next month!

Oh and I'm going to have a go that those cheesy rolls, sound delicious. Thanks BigBird for the recipe.
    Debt at highest May 04 - £65,639.22 - Started DMP with CCCS 1st June 04 & now self managed DMP
    Debt now 20th December 2015 £31677.13 Paid Off to date £33962.09 - just not going quickly enough!

Debt free date July 2024! I don't think so, it'll be going quicker than that!!!

• mummysaver
    Well my bank account is unsurprisingly not sorted out yet, so will be visiting the bank to get some money in person tomorrow! But on the bright side I have spent absolutely no money, so courtesy of Lloyds I am doing really well with my challenge!

Those cheesy rolls look amazing, might give them a go later - okay I admit I don't actually need to go shopping, I have plenty of food in! I just get in a twist when I take something out the cupboards and don't replace it immediately!

Have told the family that I am not shopping till Wednesday, so will just have to make do with what we have, but will need some fresh veg and onions and potatoes definitely then, and some more sugar and flour for baking.
    • rellaella
    • By rellaella 14th Sep 08, 10:23 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    rellaella
    Very liberating
    Hi there, although I joined the Sept grocery challenge I joined a bit late so not sure how I'm doing so far! I do know that I definitely have not spent anyway near as much as previous months so feeling quite positive at the mo. I have to say it's very liberating doing a proper meal plan. I went through the fridge/freezer and cupboards and wrote down everything I had in them, then proceeded to make a list of meals I could make with them, so much easier than just guessing whats in the cupboard then finding I have to go out for more ingredients!!! I made a lovely rice dish yesterday as I have quite a lot in. I'm doing slimming world too so things have to be healthy too. I put some chicken bovril into a pan of boiling water then added the rice, some chestnut mushrooms (1/2 price at Mr S) frozen peas then towards the end of cooking I added the last remaining bit of my homemade tomato sauce and some leftover mozzarella. It was delicious and made 2 very generous portions, so have some left for today. Have 2 weeks left til payday and meal plans until Thursday so hopefully only one more shop to do.
    Weightloss 2013 = 3lb/40lb
    £2 savers club = £2
    Weekly Grocery Challenge w/c 20/1 = £101.97/£30
    Jan NSD = 2/10
    • kalojac
    • By kalojac 14th Sep 08, 10:39 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 5,363 Thanks
    kalojac
    I've not been keeping a close eye over the last couple of weeks, and I've totalled my receipts this morning and have spent £327, so that's it for me I'm afraid! I will have to adopt a new approach for October's challenge, and have set up a new spreadsheet worksheets for spends. I think also that next month I will post every day or most days to keep me motivated. I'm soooo bummed, but its my own fault, I knew that I was either over or getting really close.

Good luck to everyone else xx
    • craftingqueen
    • By craftingqueen 14th Sep 08, 12:30 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    craftingqueen
    Have updated our siggy, spent a grand total of £75 this week, £30 at mrT and our first to Lidls £45 well worth going. We went apple (bramley), strawberry and raspberry picking with the kids they loved it and i also took photos for scrapbooking . Ended with our youngest coming down with a virus, it seems to be a 24hr bug an she seems fine now.Have a good weekend everyone.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
  • ravylesley
    I've just updated my sig with the £72 online shop I put in for Asda that will be delivered tomorrow.This is my first grocery challenge and with my shopping tomorrow that should last me a good week and I've enough left to do another top up shop at the end of the month so I should make it phew.Not bad as I've spent £126 on meat for the freezer which I wont need to spend next month.I'm realising we spend a lot more than I thought we did but thats probably cos both hubby and I are dieting and eat loads more fresh veg and meat than we used to.Plus with dieting I've been buying cakes to avoid temptation I'll have to get my backside in gear and get some baking done

Lesleyxx
  • Money saving Diva
    Hi everyone

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend. The weather is superb!

Dazzle21 - my recipe is HERE - hope you enjoy it!
    amethystcash - well done you! We aren't quite so organised with our expenses... The OH isn't using the car for work any more, he is now cycling, but we haven't sat down and really worked out everything else. But we are starting with the household bits and peices and groceries for the first time this month and then I hope we can get as organised as you seem to be!
    Egon, do you use any of those comparison sites for shopping? There are several, I use one and you fill your basket as normal (say from Tescos) and then they tell you if it would be cheaper in Asda or Morrisons or sainsburys. You can then just print the list off to take shopping with you if you don't want to order online or they transfer it over to the supermarket of your choice so you can check out your trolley.

Hope everyone is having a great day - my roast chicken is in the oven and smells lovely.

Diva.x
    Last edited by Money saving Diva; 14-09-2008 at 2:08 PM.
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
    • echelon101
    • By echelon101 14th Sep 08, 2:59 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    echelon101
    5kg of Sommerfield Potatoes - £1.53
    Cookies - £1

= £2.53

Really shouldnt have bought the cookies
    Buy for value not cost.
    Feb Grocery = £55.87 / 80
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 14th Sep 08, 3:03 PM
    • 4,972 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    Hi all, got a call yesterday from the local 2nd hand shop who have a freezer for us at last! £30 inc delivery, we plan to keep it outside in the small back patio as no space in our tiny kitchen. I think that if it lasts 6 months outside, it will have paid for itself and hopefully it will last longer than that... will be stocking up on deals and freezing batch cooked stuff. Freezers are pretty sturdy and MrEL is going to also cover it with some tarp and it will be close to the kitchen door so we can keep an eye on it and easily get to bits. Then we will use a small extension to keep it connected to the mains. If it works, I will be happier to stay where we are for now. The move itself would have cost is £150 plus the extra rent for somewhere with a bigger kitchen. So for £30 I am hoping it will all be worth it, with the small risk that one day it stops working - and if luck is on my side that will be on a freezing cold day, so we don't lose any of the food! x
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting
    YNAB lover
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 14th Sep 08, 3:18 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Afternoon everyone.

Had a NSD today & yesterday. Worked out my meal plan for the rest of the month. So hopefully just F&V and milk to buy.
    *BigBird* those rolls look brilliant. I buy the cheesy rolls from Asda. But I shall have a go at making those so thank you. By the way i keep my bread in my plastic tupperware bread bin. Had it years, just wash it out.

Picked up a leaflet with Lidl bargins for next week. Flora 500g at £1 so 49p off. Also nescafe 200g for £3 if anyone is interested. there's also a spice rack for £6.99 which includes 12 spices. Have a good evening everyone.
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £48828.05/£46842.89/-£1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 14th Sep 08, 3:22 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Hi all,
    Not been on for a while but have been keeping to my budget so that's good. Have spent £136.97 so far, leaving £103.03 till the end of the month, so should be fine as only just under 2 wks to go, freezers bursting and cupboards quite full.
    Still only spent £77.80 out of extras budget too, so still have 22.20 there too if I need any emergency stuff, so really pleased this month.

Mrs M, had to show you this, pretty sad eh!

The big tomato that you see is the one I brought in a 6 pack from Mr T's and the rest are what all I grew in the garden.... mmmm, I think they might have needed a bit more love and attention...
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • redbaileys
    thanks for your advise BigMummaF. I really have no idea how much i spend each month so I think I will start my TARGET £200 for my first month and see how i get on with that. That will be from the 15th of this month to the 14th of next month. Have quite a lot in my freezer so shouldnt need to spend that much. Have just been making buns and cheese straws and gonna make some tomato and orange soup up to take to work next week. Quite looking forward to this challenge
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 14th Sep 08, 4:06 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Havent had a chance to read the thread, hope everyone is doing well in their challenges. Did my weekly food shop today and spent £48.62, not doing too badly i dont think, trying to run my cupboards down a bit as it was getting ridiculous! Have started properly batch cooking as i start uni this week (good luck to the rest of you starting too) so i want some nice easy meals for busy days.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • dazzle21
    • By dazzle21 14th Sep 08, 5:08 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 7,242 Thanks
    dazzle21
    Moneysaving Diva - Thanks for the recipe link! I am going to try it out tonight hopefully so will let you know how i get on!
    Did a huge shop yesterday in Mr T's, bill was eek £67 something until i handed over all my various coupons and a gift card and it came down to..£34.96 woo-hoo. Today picked up 5 melons, 7nectarines and 4 corn on cob for £3 so think i'm well sorted! Hopefully most of the shopping is done for the month except for milk and some extra fresh veg next week. iingers crossed i might do my budget this week inspite of a rubbish start!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

576Posts Today

5,798Users online

Martin's Twitter