Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    silverlady
    TOOOOO Many Tomatoes, Help Please
    • 28th Sep 04, 2:11 PM
    TOOOOO Many Tomatoes, Help Please 28th Sep 04 at 2:11 PM
    Help, I know I shouldn't complain but our tomato plants have gone mad this year and we have zillions of tomatoes, some weigh over 1lb each ( I think that's about 500gms)
    I have given loads away to friends and family but still have loads.
    Being a good money saver ;D I can't let them go to waste so can anyone suggest some quick recipes I can make and freeze, or store in any way?
    I have made tomato sauce, the type for pizza and one I use with pasta but any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
Page 7
  • powershopper
    loadsa tiny tomatoes
    HELP just come in from Mr Ts with27 packets of those little tomatoes, all marked down to 10p each! Now I quite like a tomato, but quite honestly we've grown and eaten so many this summer, I don't think I could wade thru this many! Does anyone have any good recipes for preserving toms that doesnt involve freezing? (had similar luck last week with beautiful English sweetcorn, 10p for a 2 cob pack, that's why the freezer is full) Don't need to make any more chutney- but I do have a recipe for THE BEST RED TOMATO CHUTNEY IN THE WORLD, if anyone is interested.

So please, I need a bit of inspiration.........
  • tomterm8
    tomato ketchup http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/tomatoketchup_8882.shtml

tomato soup
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2075/tomato-soup

use tomato's as base of piza?

Maybe puree it, and freeze (shouldn't take up toooo much space?)

You can also do sweet pickled tomatoes http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Preserves/sweet_pickled_cherry_tomatoes___.htm
    Last edited by tomterm8; 13-09-2008 at 8:30 PM.
  • looby-loo
    27 packets is a bit OTT
    Last edited by looby-loo; 19-03-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    • HariboJunkie
    • By HariboJunkie 13th Sep 08, 8:28 PM
    • 7,160 Posts
    • 45,822 Thanks
    HariboJunkie
    Hi there.

Have a look at this old thread. Or maybe you could ask around friends and neighbours to see if they are more use to them.

• Peartree
    I know you don't want to freeze but if I have a glut of little tomatoes I roast in the oven with some herbs, then freeze and then stick into pasta sauces. They do squish very small and it is amazing, I find, what you can still stuff in the corner of a freezer when you think it is already full!!

If you think you could use them in a few weeks, however, I'd be inclined to do the same and stick them in a sterilised jar or a tupperware in the fridge with a thin layer of olive oil on the top. The should keep.

Or maybe a combination of both?
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 13th Sep 08, 9:19 PM
    • 8,080 Posts
    • 19,560 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    HELP just come in from Mr Ts with27 packets of those little tomatoes, all marked down to 10p each! Now I quite like a tomato, but quite honestly we've grown and eaten so many this summer, I don't think I could wade thru this many! Does anyone have any good recipes for preserving toms that doesnt involve freezing? (had similar luck last week with beautiful English sweetcorn, 10p for a 2 cob pack, that's why the freezer is full) Don't need to make any more chutney- but I do have a recipe for THE BEST RED TOMATO CHUTNEY IN THE WORLD, if anyone is interested.

So please, I need a bit of inspiration.........
    Originally posted by powershopper
    I would love your chutney recipe if you would'nt mind posting it.
    • annie123
    • By annie123 13th Sep 08, 9:34 PM
    • 4,221 Posts
    • 17,241 Thanks
    annie123
    but I do have a recipe for THE BEST RED TOMATO CHUTNEY IN THE WORLD, if anyone is interested.
    Originally posted by powershopper
    yes please
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 13th Sep 08, 10:01 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    I sometimes fry them, well without oil, with some balsamic vinegar, few basil leaves and a sprinkle of sugar then serve on pasta or toasted ciabatta style bread, little cheese on the top if I have it, yummy. Garlic optional, as is salt.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 13th Sep 08, 10:46 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 52,858 Thanks
    kazmeister
    Hi,

I posted this ages ago - hope you like the sound of it

Fresh Tuna and Tomato Stew
    Tastes much better than it sounds and is sooo easy. I hate tinned tuna but LOVE fresh (for anyone who doesnt like tinned, kids thought it was chicken first time they had it)

Recipe is for 2 people so need to double it for more but I only ever use approximate amounts.

2tbsp olive oil
    1 med onion peeled and chopped finely
    piece root ginger (about an inch) peeled and finely chopped
    1 garlic clove peeled and finely chopped (can crush, will give a stronger flavour)
    12oz fresh tomatoes chopped
    1/2 tsp cumin
    2 tbsp fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
    1/2 pt fish stock
    8oz fresh tuna cut into chunks
    Boiled rice and part baked bread to serve

Heat oil in large pan, add onions, cook med heat 5 mins until soft
    Add ginger and garlic cook 1 -2 mins
    Add tomatoes cumin and parsley. Cook stirring for 5 mins until tomatoes soften slightly
    Pour in stock bring to boil then reduce heat
    Cover and simmer 15 mins until tomatoes are soft and sauce is thick and pulpy
    Add tuna chunks, cover and simmer for 5 mins until tuna is cooked through
    Season to taste
    Serve with rice and part baked rolls finished in oven.
    Last edited by kazmeister; 13-09-2008 at 11:24 PM.
    Lost my wings, need to learn to fly again
    • Churchmouse
    • By Churchmouse 13th Sep 08, 11:20 PM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 20,708 Thanks
    Churchmouse
    That sounds yummy, kazmeister I too love fresh tuna, but haven't had canned in about 30 years because I hated it. Just to say first line of the recipe method, I assume it's the onions being cooked You might want to edit, because there could be other thickos like me. ( Haribo, you really don't have to confirm that I am )
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • powershopper
    loadsa tiny tomatoes
    Thanks guys for the ideas, peartree I like the way of keeping them in oil, shall have a shot at that, and tomterm8, the ketchup recipe sounds great.
    And for annie and Mrstittlemouse ( and everyone else) give this a go----------

THE BEST RED TOMATO CHUTNEY IN THE WORLD

6 lb ripe tomatoes (beef toms are REALLY GOOD
    8 oz onions
    1 pint spiced white vinegar
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    About 1 tablespoon salt
    12 oz white sugar

skin the tomatoes and discard skins. Roughly chop the flesh

Peel onions and chop or mince finely
    Place onions and tomatoes in the cooking pan, and heat gently until simmering, then continue cooking, stirring occaisionally until thick and pulpy
    Add HALF the vinegar, the paprika, the cayenne,and the salt
    Bring to the boil and cook, uncovered, until thickened
    Dissolve the sugar in the remaining vinegar, add to the pan and cook, stirring occaisionally until thickened

Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal
    This makes about 4 jars, and is better for keeping about 6 weeks before eating
    Also a dollop in the sauce for spag bol is good!!!!
    Good luck.......
    Last edited by powershopper; 14-09-2008 at 7:09 AM.
    • skintchick
    • By skintchick 14th Sep 08, 10:39 AM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 23,339 Thanks
    skintchick
    TBH if I didn't know what to do with them I would have left them on the shelf for someone else who could have really made use of them.
    27 packets is a bit OTT
    Originally posted by looby-loo
    Ditto.

Why buy stuff you don;t want and have no room for? That's not moneysaving! :confused:
    DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
    married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 14th Sep 08, 2:34 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Hi there I'll add this to the existing tomatoes thread that Haribo mentions above

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 30th Nov 08, 11:45 AM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    I have lots of sundried tomatoes which I would like to make into chutney. Can I add water to re-hydrate them to make up the weight of normal tomatoes? Or would that make the flavour too strong?

If anyone has any actual sundried tomato chutney recipes, I would be most appreciative
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • elsie52
    Fresh Tomatoes....any Suggestion What To Make
    Hi,

I bought approximately 2kg of tomatoes yesterday. They were reduced to 59p,and I can't resist a bargain. Any suggestions to what I can do with them, they are in really nice condition at the moment, firm etc, and I don't want to waste them.

June 2010 - 11/56 lbs Weight to lose before May 2011.

• southernscouser
    Bolognaise sauce? :confused:
    • betterlife
    • By betterlife 18th Jan 09, 3:07 PM
    • 856 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    betterlife
    tomato soup, or a tomato sauce which you could freeze in portions for bolognaise, chilli, pasta, lasagna etc. fresh salsa yum yum and serve with tortilla chips. chutney. x
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 18th Jan 09, 3:12 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Hi,

I bought approximately 2kg of tomatoes yesterday. They were reduced to 59p,and I can't resist a bargain. Any suggestions to what I can do with them, they are in really nice condition at the moment, firm etc, and I don't want to waste them.
    Originally posted by elsie52
    Spicy tomato relish It's yummy

I'll add this to the existing thread on tomato glut, to keep ideas together.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • Squirmy
    Lots of tomatoes!!
    Hi all,

I went a bit crazy at the market and got 3 big paper bag fulls of tomatoes (think there's roughly 40!) as they were heavily reduced and I thought I'd be able to do something with them...only problem is now I don't know what to do!!! :confused:

So any ideas what I can do with lots of tomatoes?

Thanks,

Squirmy

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi squirmy,

I made tomato soup from fresh tomatoes this week and it was delicious.

Cut fresh tomatoes in half and roast in the oven with garlic cloves and olive oil.
    Sweat an onion and diced potato on the hob. Add some black pepper.
    Add the roasted tomatoes and garlic to the pan and a good pinch of sugar, plenty of basil to taste (fresh or dried) and top up with vegetable or chicken stock.
    Simmer until the potatos are cooked.
    Whizz with a stick blender then sieve it if you don't like seeds, leave it as it is if you don't mind them.
    Stir in cream just before serving.

There's an earlier thread with lots of ideas for using up tomatoes that should help:

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 25-07-2009 at 5:23 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,648Posts Today

8,005Users online

Martin's Twitter