Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Aug 08, 2:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.
    • 28th Aug 08, 2:29 PM
    September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. 28th Aug 08 at 2:29 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?

This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 18-09-2008 at 9:10 AM.
Page 51
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 10th Sep 08, 7:29 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Hi Everyone.

Spent £4 today on lunch out.

Quick question I have a tomato plant in a pot in the garden the tomatoes are all green. Am I right in thinking I need to bring them in and put them in a brown paper bag and wait for them to turn red. Or is this an old wives tell?
    Originally posted by Mrs Money Penny
    Just put them in a bowl with one or two red one-its like magic in a few days!

I made chilli con carne tongiht but served it in a different way. I had some puff pastry in the fridge which I cooked in squares and served on top of the chilli mince like a pie. I served it with tinned pots and sliced green beans. Made a nice change from rice.
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 10-09-2008 at 7:51 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • wishus
    • By wishus 10th Sep 08, 8:03 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 5,471 Thanks
    wishus
    Hi,

I'm going to have to give this a go, I think.

I just came scarily close to redundancy today - I live to fight another day, but I want a new job and a new life with my fiance in another town - and soon. He has no money-mangement skills to speak of. I am starting not to manage too well myself.

My money now has to be devoted to doing up my house to rent, and the rest of my time into getting a new job. Groceries are one of the few areas I can start slimming down on, so I'm up for this challenge. See you tomorrow and I'll post about how I get on.
  • bertiebots
    Hi folks....been to do my shop today and made a mess of my new system already! The plan to do monthly £100 store cupboard shop + £15 to £20 per week might not be as easy as I thought. On line shop actaully came to £96.
    I spent £28 at mr s nearly double what I meant to and that was just milk,fruit ,veg ,1 large chicken (hopeing to make 3 meals out of this) coffee (none arrived with online shop) and I got some basics kidney beans for the month..not sure why these arent on line 14p per tin x4. Basics choc mousse x4,basics ham, I got 2 small basics food containers which now contain dh shepheard pies for lunch at work....., a large bag of ground cumin and some reduced oxtail soup 15p a packet! Oh and some suet for hm dumplings! I hope I can do better next week!
    Bring it on...lol!
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200 FEB GC £197.31 out of £180. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • Anzac Biscuit
    AFter reading some of your posts I am feelinga little better - after all, even if I go totally over it's probably still an improvement and I'll know better next month (if only that I did an unrealistic budget)

So... the past few days I have spent 3.50 + 2.50 (ish) on lunches, 5.70 on cafe (but was expecting more) and 27 something on groceries.
    I have a friend coming to stay on Friday so not sure how that will go with the budget for food.

I think I'm roughly on track with groceries, it's just the entertainment/extras that are getting me down, and I've never really budgeted for them before. Next month will be increasing ent budget but I"ll perservere for now and see what the damage is at the end of the month.

I figure that if I overbudget I can always add the leftovers to my savings at the end of the month - my target is knowing how much I spend on average and keeping within budget (whatever that may be).

Right, I'll be off to update my sig now
    *puts on brave face*
    Married my best friend Nov 2014
    Food for 2 (1 gluten free) OSWLC2 0/10. GC Jan $460. Feb 451/400. March 451/450. April 161/450.
    • wmf
    • By wmf 10th Sep 08, 9:08 PM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 21,637 Thanks
    wmf
    £17 odd spent today and for the first time \i really noticed how expensive things are. I think it was because the shopping was not for actual meals. Things like milk, bananas, crackers...obviously more, oh, and a bottle of wine at £3.99. But, you know, I had a £10 note in my hand and also a £20 in case |I needed that instead of my £10. I couldn't believe it was as much as £17 and yet I had bought carefully, Tesco 'Marmite' etc. Actually, I probably had a few things, like the yeast extract, which I don't buy often but I was still shocked. We have quite a houseful this weekend with a meal for 8 on Saturday night and a Sun lunch to do for 6. Yikes
    w
  • Sian the Green
    Just in case anyone else, like me, didn't realise home bargains has some amazingly cheap grocery items, I had always assumed it was just like Instore but it really impressed me!
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • JayJay14
    I went to Mr A last night and bought a few things - but managed to keep the damage down to a minimum, and to get a couple of things to put in the freezer for Xmas so I didn't do too badly.

Today however I sucumbed to a fish and chip lunch - everyone else in the office was having one and it's a new job, I'm only in my second week, so I thought that even though I had a pack up in the fridge I would join in. So £2 spent there but I think of it in terms of part of the bonding process. (It was only a small fish but I really enjoyed it )

The job is going well at the moment so it looks like I might still be in employment this winter - at least I am in a growth area, Council Recycling Department.
  • catnap53
    Thought I was going way overboard again, but I am actually not doing so badly on the GC, it is all the other spends that are making me feel I have overspent.

GC suffered a little from 2 trips to Costco, one specifically for the 3 pounds off pork joint and a few other bits, the second to get rib eye steak for DH birthday meal on Saturday. Used 12 pounds worth on one meal for 4, but a lot cheaper that eating out, and more convenient because of all the going in and out of town all weekend for DS and DD to stalk La Machine.

Wouldn't buy tuna there because it was too expensive, then looked at mysupermarket to find it appears to have really gone up in price, 1.38 for 185g and DH uses a whole tin on one lunch, usually once a week. I am sure I only paid 55p last time. This is one item that I won't really get smart price, not sure why, but think I read about some ethical isssues with it, so will just have to monitor its use.

Had to eat a lot of lamb meals since a week on Saturday, as having bought half I hadn't enough room in the freezer for all of it raw, so cooked and froze some. We have had 28 servings so far, roast, Irish stew, Basque casserole (variant), barbeque breast ribs, balti curry & brown rice with MrsM's naan bread, soup with chunky veg (left over from roast) and HM bread. Three joints, all chops and some cooked meat still frozen (about 48-50 servings left taking it to about 50p each.)

Good luck to everyone.

Zzzz

• gillaman
    Made a freezer list today and posted that on my fridge door with a magnet. I'm going to find this very useful as I shall cross off each item as I use it and then I'll know what space I've got and what I'm running short of.

Made pizza yesterday for dinner and had a quarter left over which I had for lunch today. I made a tomato sauce for the base using a couple of tins of tomatoes and froze half for another day. I also roasted some more toms from the garden and froze those. Not sure if all the green toms on the outside plants will ripen, but those that look half ripe I'm bringing in and leaving on a windowsill.

Today I made a big soup with lots of veg that needed using up - will freeze some and have the remainder whizzed in the blender for lunch tomorrow. I used to spend a lot on things for lunch - like Quorn slices (turkey style, beef style etc), hummous, cream cheese etc. I'm trying to make things from scratch now and also use leftovers. Made a large scone loaf today as I was out of bread. I might freeze some, but it might not last long enough.

I shall have to buy fruit and veg tomorrow. Will update sig then.

Lots of useful tips on the board these last few pages. Thanks to everyone who's posted, too many to mention individually.
    Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
  • Money saving Diva
    The recipe for Lemon Curd Ice Cream is on the first post on this thread: Show Jamie How To Cook On A Budget Champagne Contest
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Actually nikki, that isn't the recipe I use. :confused: Sorry, but this is mine.. Similar but not the same.. This tastes slightly tangy, and it's really nice with fresh blackberries.

10floz/300ml whipping cream
    4floz/110ml Greek yoghurt
    1 lemon, zest and juice
    4oz/110g lemon curd
    3 large meringues

In a large bowl, whip the cream until thick but not stiff. Fold in the yoghurt with a spatula. Mix the lemon zest, juice and lemon curd. Gently fold the lemony mixture into cream.
    Break the meringues into pieces (make sure some of the pieces stay quite large. They’ll break more when scooped).
    Fold them into the cream. Scrape the mixture into a plastic freezerproof container.
    Cover and freeze for 4-6hours or until solid. Remove from the freezer just before serving

I have the same recipe (for pb cookies) in one of my books which is where I've got the conversions from My recipe says you can add 75g / 2.75oz chopped unsalted peanuts

Nikki x[/quote]

Thank you for posting the Peanut Butter cookie recipe for me honey. I actually got the recipe online about 3 yrs ago when my nephews were pestering me to make easy biscuits and they both loved peanut butter. Using a cup measure is just so easy.

Diva.xx
    Last edited by Money saving Diva; 11-09-2008 at 12:10 AM.
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 11th Sep 08, 12:51 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys,
    Why is it when you go to the cupboard, whatever you went for is finished just because peeps take things out but don't update the lists.
    Sooooooo have to go shopping tomorrow. I will be bargain hunting in mr m's and will look for the utterly butterly for 60 odd pence, thanks to whoever posted info.
    Will be doing sausage casserole tomorrow in SC(using 50p ones from mr m) which will do lunch for 3 then 4 portions for freezer. Also try cauliflower / broccoli cheese for freezer meals, to say, not made my own sauce before.
    All those lovely cake recipes on here too but everyone in our house are watching their weight Doh
    HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • puss14
    Went to supermarket today and spent $75.25. This leaves me with $158.25 for the month. I am going to try and live off wahat I have in garden/pantry/fridge/freezer until the 20th when the next farmers market is. I may buy takeaway curry(but steam my own rice) on the 14th as that is my bday and I doubt I will want to cook. Still i haven't had takeaway for at least 6 weeks, so I dont feel too guilty.
    I made lemon barley water today as our lemon tree has produced HUGELY, we are inundated with lemons I am planing on making lemon biscuits and lemon pudding and have squeezed some specifically to be used for cleaning and every salad is being dressed with lemon juice and olive oil. My OH says Ive jumped on board the lemon express

You are all doing very well!
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

Well, still on the NSD for me
    Some of the corned beef hash did survive last night so im going to turn that into a pie later and freeze...

Oh by the way has anyone else noticed cornedbeef jumping up in price? Mum mentioned yesterday that the last time she got some from LIDL it was 79p yesterday it was £1.39 i think she said and ASDAs own brand is up to £1.19 ... It makes me feel slightly less grumpy about having to pay €1.19 out here -about 96p... i though THAT was a lot as i was use to lidls ,,,, so i will be getting quite a few tins in next month ready for winter -good old cornedbeef hash n dumplings
    Roast chicken dinner tonight (lots of leftovers there ) and im doing the huge broccoli/cauli cheese and freezing up the extras for quick meals -if i can find room in the freezer

Right must stop jabbering and get the bowl of dough knocked together
    have a great day everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • WelshWoofer
    Hello!
    Just a quick one to ask for any easy to make (for a useless cook like me!) biscuit/cookie recipes? I've had a go at the Millie's Cookies - a resounding success! - and am thinking about trying the peanut butter cookies later but wondered if there's any other easy peasy ones knocking about?

I have my mum and sister staying with me for the weekend and want to impress them with my fabulous cookery skills! (My mum's a fab cook and despairs at my lack of effort/attempts!)

I'm off to Mr T's later and can pick up the necessary bits if I don't have them in.

I have written a list for the shopping and meal planned for next week so I'm hoping to spend less than £40 but we'll see!

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions......
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 11th Sep 08, 8:58 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    MrA Baby & Toddler Event
    For anyone who wasnt aware MrA's Baby & Toddler Event is on now until 21st Sept

MSD I've added your icecream recipe to the Recipe Index.

rachelmk have you tried Custard Cookies or my Gingerbread Men ? Both are yummy and easy. Or, of course, there's Twink’s Hobnobs

Nikki x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 11-09-2008 at 3:17 PM. Reason: baby & toddler event
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 11th Sep 08, 9:34 AM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,315 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Good morning grocery challengers, I haven't forgotten you and I'm still on the challenge, but I have had a rethink and had to juggle my figures to compensate for increases both here and in other areas (like electricity! )

At the start of the year, my annual target was £1200 for groceries/cleaning & laundry products/toiletries but having joined this challenge, I decided to try and cut that further to £1000. My spends have been as follows:

Jan 2008 £86.09
    Feb 2008 £103.68
    Mar 2008 £99.52
    Apr 2008 £97.05
    May 2008 £264.78 (the major stock pile shop)
    Jun 2008 £75.65
    Jul 2008 £47.93
    Aug 2008 £67.05
    Sep 2008 £70.80
    TOTAL FOR GROCERIES £912.55

Each month, I have tried to keep within my grocery budget but have also stockpiled on any BOGOF or half prices bargains to keep the storeroom / cupboards / freezer full and these figures include everything - toiletries, food, baking ingredients, cleaning & laundry products - for 3 adults. I have decided to aim for a final tally of £1098 for the year (£1 per person per day) or £91.50 per month average. As you'll see, I am still within my budget (just) but it makes a monthly target a lot more difficult as I have to take advantage of bargains if I happen to be away anywhere that has a major supermarket. Where I live, we only have a small Co-op, so choice isn't exactly great. :rolleyes:

So, good luck to all who are still doing this challenge, welcome to all who have recently joined, well done to those who are succeeding in beating the price increases and keep practicing for all those who may be finding it tough juggling family & work life around balancing a tight grocery budget. It's all very worthwhile in the long run, I have learned that much.

Thanks you for the grocery challenge
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • jackk
    Wouldn't buy tuna there because it was too expensive, then looked at mysupermarket to find it appears to have really gone up in price, 1.38 for 185g and DH uses a whole tin on one lunch, usually once a week. I am sure I only paid 55p last time. This is one item that I won't really get smart price, not sure why, but think I read about some ethical isssues with it, so will just have to monitor its use.
    Originally posted by catnap53

Somerfields are doing Princes tuna chunks in oil/brine 4 x 185g @ £3.00 at the moment, i'm sure another of the supermarkets are doing this as well, because ive seen it, but can't remember where :confused: .

Jackie x
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 11th Sep 08, 10:13 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Angelnikki - Thanks for the info regarding Tesco's "Market Place" will have to have a look later as they didnt have anything like that last week (perhaps they are rolling it out across the Country bit by bit?).

Chocolate Teddy - I dont have an Aldi close to me (about 25mins drive away) but might have a special drive over there to have a look (can visit a friend who lives nearby to justify going that way just to look lol).
  • sarahc44
    Hi

How can I get started I spend £100 a week roughly for 2 adults and 2 small children - a LOT I know and need a system to help me lower it

Sarah x x x
  • superstottie
    Well thought I hadn't done too badly this week as my main shop only cost £60 but then with having a house full all weekend and millions of kids determined to eat me out of house and home I have run out of everything! So now I have spent another £8 on bits and pieces to keep me going but have also run out of dishwasher powder so am going to have to go and get some from the local co-op later - will cost a fortune!!! Didn't factor in for all the extra washing up there would be!

I have been making my own bread though this week - I don't like the stuff I can get local and supermarket is 20 miles away! I have also been making milk - well using powdered milk and making it up - kids haven't noticed and I actually prefer it. I find that T's own value stuff is nicest - the one that comes in the plastic milk bottle is horrid! Works out cheaper as a box makes about 10 pints and cost about the same as four pints of fresh!
    GC Sept - £147.75/£280
    2 Adults, four kids, 3 Gerbils, 6 Fish! Down to 5 - well I suppose its one way of saving money!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

2,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin