Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • wishiwasarichgirl
    • By wishiwasarichgirl 9th Sep 08, 11:13 PM
    • 5,386 Posts
    • 6,335 Thanks
    wishiwasarichgirl
    • 9th Sep 08, 11:13 PM
    • 9th Sep 08, 11:13 PM
    I would never have asked if it was theirs in the first place - I'd just have pocketed it.
    WigglyFB

• sidefx
    • By sidefx 9th Sep 08, 11:31 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    sidefx
    • 9th Sep 08, 11:31 PM
    • 9th Sep 08, 11:31 PM
    I would never have asked if it was theirs in the first place - I'd just have pocketed it.
    Originally posted by wishiwasarichgirl
    Me too
  • Abida
    • 10th Sep 08, 4:47 AM
    • 10th Sep 08, 4:47 AM
    the idea is, they pocketed the money after saying they would hand it in!
  • Abida
    • 10th Sep 08, 4:49 AM
    • 10th Sep 08, 4:49 AM
    First, I don't do fast food chains, then if I was there, I would have pocketed it and I have done so in the past, but put it in the charity box, it could have been anyones.
    But - in this scenario, I would have made a fuss, I have a temper you dont mess with
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 10th Sep 08, 5:28 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    • 10th Sep 08, 5:28 AM
    • 10th Sep 08, 5:28 AM
    I would speak up, quietly at first, reminding them they had forgotten to ask about the money. My next move would depend on their response.
    Assuming they had deliberately decided to keep it, I would look for the biggest guy around and tell him what was going on so he could tell them it was his money they found, and sit back to watch the fun.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Sep 08, 6:13 AM
    • 26,632 Posts
    • 96,011 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 10th Sep 08, 6:13 AM
    • 10th Sep 08, 6:13 AM
    I think I'd suddenly realise that I had dropped it myself and had not enough money to pay with.
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
  • Skippy2roo
    • 10th Sep 08, 7:13 AM
    • 10th Sep 08, 7:13 AM
    I would have picked it up, walked straight out of the burger bar and gone to Wetherspoons had a Curry and a pint and still have change.
    Hello again
    • Dorrie
    • By Dorrie 10th Sep 08, 7:15 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Dorrie
    • 10th Sep 08, 7:15 AM
    • 10th Sep 08, 7:15 AM
    I would challenge it and ask for the manager!
  • missprint
    In a situation like that, in public, I would probably say nothing. I'm a wimp. But I'd turn on my lethal, shrivel-up-and-die-on-the-spot, hope-you-suffer-horribly-by-having-terminal-nits, what-an-unspeakable-rotter glare as they left the premises, which has been known to make a grown barrister cry.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 10th Sep 08, 8:44 AM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Pound
    What do you think is going to happen if you hand it in? Unless it's a huge amount of money that's likely to be claimed it's either going to
    • Go straight into the pocket of the person you give it to
    • Sit in an office waiting to be claimed before going into the pocket of the staff or more likely, the manager.
    • Go towards the profit of the business that you hand it to.
    The person who owned it aren't going to come and claim it so whatever you do with it, you're just making a choice of who's pocket it's going into. Might as well be your own or the guy that was clever enough to pick it up before you did.

• A.Jones
    • By A.Jones 10th Sep 08, 9:03 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    A.Jones
    You ask the person in front if it’s theirs, they say no, and pick it up saying they’ll check with counter staff.

What were you expecting that they will check with counter staff? How would staff serving burgers know who it belongs to? If you fell for that, then you are stupid.
    • poppy_f1
    • By poppy_f1 10th Sep 08, 9:07 AM
    • 2,607 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    poppy_f1
    similar thing happened to me once, was standing in a queue at mcdonalds and someone said to me if it was my money on the floor, it wasnt but i said it was
    was panicing tho just in case someone else claimed it before i got out of the store

so my answer is id pocket it
    • lordswood
    • By lordswood 10th Sep 08, 10:46 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    lordswood
    I'd have picked it up and then asked. Possession is nine tenths of the law!
  • jamez79
    How about going halves?
    I'd start off with "How about we go halves on that tenner you've just pocketed before i get really loud and embarrassing!" and smile sweetly.

I guess it'd be one of the popular fast food chains so two could eat for a tenner!
  • richardg
    Hi everyone!

It was me that wrote to the Metro, I was in a well known coffee chain, green writing - you know the one! Anyway, personally if the situation was reversed (I was the person in front of me in the queue) I would have offered to split it with them (the enquirer behind) as without them spotting it the money would never have been in my hand in the first place! If, however I was feeling particularly virtuous it would have gone in the charity box on the counter by the till!!
    • iolande
    • By iolande 10th Sep 08, 1:26 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    iolande
    I would say something - and loudly too. If it isn't anybody that we can see - then it's a split or in the charity box situation. Simple.
    • Kev64
    • By Kev64 10th Sep 08, 1:35 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Kev64
    I wouldn't ask for it back. If you were daft enough to leave it on the floor, then bring it to the attention of a complete stranger, you deserve to lose it !
    Think of it as a "stupidity tax".
  • Woodgnome
    The formal etiquette in that situation would be to point to the ceiling, shriek loudly 'Christ look at the size of that wasp' as everyone looks up, bend down, pocket the tenner and leave.
  • Warrior2012
    I was faced in a very similar situation in a Subway about 2 months ago! There was 40 laying on the floor...i picked it up (i dont know how nobody else in the full shop saw it) and was about to ask whose it was. But then common sense hit me and i realised that anyone i asked would most probably claim it. The person who i suspected it most likely would belong to was ahead of me...i watched him while he went into his pocket, and went into the wallet to pay for his food. He did not seem alarmed or like he had lost anything. So i took the money, guilt free! If anyone in the shop look like they had lost the money, i would have gladly handed over to them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,554Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin