Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • frosty
    • By frosty 28th Aug 05, 8:41 AM
    • 1,153Posts
    • 2,166Thanks
    frosty
    Wheat /gluten free bread recipe??
    • 28th Aug 05, 8:41 AM
    Wheat /gluten free bread recipe?? 28th Aug 05 at 8:41 AM
    I hope someone can help me,this is the first time I have done this..I am trying to cut wheat out of my diet because of an intolerence,I was hoping someone might have a good recipe for bread and pizza ,the gluton free breads you buy in the supermarkets are so expensive and they taste awful,I hope someone can help .
Page 2
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 15th Nov 05, 8:16 PM
    • 7,256 Posts
    • 8,306 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    These previous discussions might have some suggestions for you:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=85983&highlight=wheat+free+bread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=43409&highlight=wheat+free+bread

HTH!
    • researcher
    • By researcher 8th Jan 06, 3:19 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    researcher
    Marmalade recipes
    I've just got back from my local farm shop with a bag of seville oranges - so next week its marmalade making time.

I've noticed that all the oranges are nice and shiney, so I guess have been waxed - so I'll need to soak them in hot water for a few minutes before preparing them.

This remind me that when I lived in a little village in Spain. I found an orange tree that nobody every picked - when I asked why I was told it was because the oranges were 'mala' (bad), turned out they were seville oranges, and because they don't make marmalade with oranges no-one ever used them. I was soon making the most delicious marmalade ever, and gave lots to my friends to try. Strange that the following year the oranges disappeared before I got a chance to pick any :confused: .
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 8th Jan 06, 3:26 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Marmalade time already!Thanks for the reminder,I make marmalade from seville oranges at this time of the year,and when we run out I use those tins of Ma Made ready cut orange peel.These are much less work,but not the same as doing it yourself.I do find cutting the peel tedious though,does anyone have any tips for speeding the process up?

I heard that the seville oranges in Spain are grown entirely for the British marmalade market,its a uniquely British food.
    • researcher
    • By researcher 8th Jan 06, 3:31 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    researcher
    They call Seville oranges 'Chinease Oranges' if anyone is looking for them in Spain.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 8th Jan 06, 3:43 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    One tip for cutting the peel is to use scissors - I can't decide if it's really any quicker but it's a change from shredding with a knife.
    If you do use a knife the best one to use is a large cooks knife, that's the one with a large 'heel' and then stack a few slices up on top of each other and cut them with the heel of the knife in a rocking motion
    • researcher
    • By researcher 8th Jan 06, 3:53 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    researcher
    One tip for cutting the peel is to use scissors - I can't decide if it's really any quicker but it's a change from shredding with a knife.
    If you do use a knife the best one to use is a large cooks knife, that's the one with a large 'heel' and then stack a few slices up on top of each other and cut them with the heel of the knife in a rocking motion
    by apprentice tycoon
    Have you tried cooking the oranges whole and then chopping them when they're soft - it is a bit messy, and you need to remove the pips and boil them for five mins in the liquid (to extract the pectin). But of all the methods I've tried it's the easiest on chopping!
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 8th Jan 06, 3:59 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Skintmama
    Hand cut peel does look nicest in the marmalade, however last year I was so short of time that I briefly processed it (I use a whole orange method). The result was cloudier but still very tasty. No good for putting into a show but miles better than shopbought for taste.
    Kind of a shock when I saw the heading Seville Oranges, What? That time again already!!
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 8th Jan 06, 4:02 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    Hi researcher - I haven't tried it that way yet, I've still got last years batch (with Drambuie!) to finish off yet so it'll be next year I have a go ...thanks
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 8th Jan 06, 4:07 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Thanks Skintmania,I think I'll try processing the oranges,I'm after flavour before looks.
    • researcher
    • By researcher 8th Jan 06, 4:12 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    researcher
    If I've only got white sugar, I add a couple of spoons of black treacle - you get quite a dark 'adult' marmalade. (Like the vintage they sell in the shops - only MUCH better.)
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 8th Jan 06, 4:23 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Skintmama
    Thanks Skintmania,I think I'll try processing the oranges,I'm after flavour before looks.
    by thriftlady
    The way I do it is to cook the oranges whole, halve and remove pips. Cut again so they are quartered, pulse briefly in small batches. Then carry on as normal. Just wanted to make sure you didn't end up with a puree from my suggestion!
    • in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 8th Jan 06, 4:26 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    in my wellies
    If I'm in a hurry I give it a quick wizz in the blender (with some of the liquid so it goes round). The Kenwood Chef book from the 1970's suggests just cutting the oranges into four and blending the whole orange. Mum did this a few times but the pips and pith are too much. I do somethig in between depending on my time. Tastes as good but I agree it doesn't look as good.
    • researcher
    • By researcher 8th Jan 06, 4:33 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    researcher
    I've never removed the pithe, and my marmalade has never been cloudy - but can't say I fancy bits of pips in my teeth at breakfast though - I think it's worth the effort to remove them.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 8th Jan 06, 6:34 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Just wanted to apologise to Skintmama for calling her skintmania earlier!
    Just read your post on the Getting to know you thread.I'm a jam maker too,as well as marmalade I make crab apple jelly,quince jelly,damson jelly,chutney and gin.I also made blackberry jam last autumn.Once you get the hang of preserving its difficult to stop,and there's nothing so satisfying as a row of jam pots glowing like jewels on your shelf-oh dear I've come over a bit Nigella!
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 8th Jan 06, 8:25 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Skintmama
    Just wanted to apologise to Skintmama for calling her skintmania earlier!
    Just read your post on the Getting to know you thread.I'm a jam maker too,as well as marmalade I make crab apple jelly,quince jelly,damson jelly,chutney and gin.I also made blackberry jam last autumn.Once you get the hang of preserving its difficult to stop,and there's nothing so satisfying as a row of jam pots glowing like jewels on your shelf-oh dear I've come over a bit Nigella!
    by thriftlady
    No offence taken Thriftlady, I thought it was a much better name actually, made me laugh anyway!
    As for the jams, I made gooseberry, strawberry and raspberry jams this year. The blackberries near me were not much good at all so didn't make jelly with them last season. I expect there is a preserves thread here somewhere (?) so I'll be exploring that later in the year. I envy you about the quinces as I don't have access to those; and I have never seen them in the shops.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 8th Jan 06, 8:35 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    You can buy quinces at Waitrose in the autumn,they're usually Turkish.Lucky me,I planted a quince tree almost as soon as we moved to our current house(about 8 yrs ago) and now it produces 50-70 large golden fruits in October,rather more than I can deal with actually.As well as jelly ,this year I made quince vodka which I've yet to sample.Quince trees don't get too big and have beautiful pale pink blossom in April,I recommend planting one.
  • miacat
    ooh, these jellys and marmalades sound lovely, my OH loves marmalade. are these easy to make. can anyone let me know how you make preserves or is their a thread somewhere. thanks in advance.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 8th Jan 06, 8:55 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=480391&postcount=10 This is the thread for snacks, cakes and biscuits, but does include some preserves and marmalades
    Catherine x
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 8th Jan 06, 9:02 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    Found some more recipes here http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/7/0.shtml, hope this helps
    Catherine x
  • miacat
    thanks, catznine's blackberry preserve sounds great and easy to do and would go lovely with yogurt.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,071Posts Today

6,674Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin