Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 8th Jan 06, 11:06 AM
    • 1,836Posts
    • 2,828Thanks
    kiwichick
    I need to Detox the OS way - HELP!
    • 8th Jan 06, 11:06 AM
    I need to Detox the OS way - HELP! 8th Jan 06 at 11:06 AM
    Hi All,

After last years enormous weight gain and VERY bad eating I have decided to "take the bull by the horns" and have a go at detoxing.

I know I couldgo and buy a load of stuff at boots etc but really dont have the cash at the mo and am sure there must be OS ways to do anyhow, just need some guidence(and a swift kick up the backside )

I have been having a cup of hot water and lemon for the last couple of days as I read on here about that a while ago. Is that detoxing??? What do I need to avoid? I am vegie so dont eat meat, poultry, fish, HATE mushrooms but any and all fruit and veg is fab. Also love pulses, brown rice etc.

Edited to add - I LOVE coffee and drink far to much, at least 8-10 cups a day. Am I allowed decaf? I'm hoping it will help with the withdrawl symptoms if my tummy thinks its getting the good stuff?????

Can anybody please help to steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!
    Al.
    Last edited by kiwichick; 08-01-2006 at 11:08 AM.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
Page 1
  • scuzz
    • 8th Jan 06, 11:09 AM
    • 8th Jan 06, 11:09 AM
    I read somewhere the other day, that scientists reckon water and sleep is the best detox method
    I'd say lots of water. Green tea is good first thing in the morning to boost metabolism, fruit teas as caffine free
    • kscour
    • By kscour 8th Jan 06, 11:21 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    kscour
    • 8th Jan 06, 11:21 AM
    • 8th Jan 06, 11:21 AM
    When I did it (which was also to help out with some allergies I have so maybe a bit different to the norm)
    No Dairy (I did have a very little cheese because I think cutting out dairy completely is a bit much)
    No tea or coffee. (again I had 1 cup of tea mid morning & 1 mid afternoon) I discovered that coffee was the reason behind lots of niggly headaches I'd been having. I haven't bothered with decaff because I thought it'd be too easy to get back on the hard stuff again!
    No gluten - I had gluten free pasta, lots of rice etc. Also discovered I have a slight gluten intolerance so that was a huge help to me. I've stayed on the gluten free pasta and only have small amounts of bread.
    No meat - you should be ok! but I did have a small amount with evening meal.
    No alcohol - oh mummy that hurt
    No processed food - and I really believe this is what made the difference! There's an awful lot hidden in ready made sauces/soups etc even the top quality ones.
    I took a cheap whopper of a multi vitimin and mineral supplement.
    Lots of water - well the 8 glasses a day routine

I felt alot better in myself and as a by product lost 1 stone. Unfortunately I've managed to put some of that back on so I'm trying to be good again.

Take a look at one you are eating/drinking because I doubt it's veggies that are making you put on weight!

Hope this helps - if you want to know more please ask
    May GC - 469.36/400
  • AussieLass
    • 8th Jan 06, 12:04 PM
    • 8th Jan 06, 12:04 PM
    TM,

You might be ok if you are tall. YOu may not need to lose that much. I've never done the detox but would be interested to do it. More for the health benefits. My weight is ok, just need to exercise more. I look about 4 months preggie. Too much xmas cake and plum pudd me thinks.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

• Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 8th Jan 06, 12:11 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 8th Jan 06, 12:11 PM
    • 8th Jan 06, 12:11 PM
    I know Aussielass - truth to tell, if I actually do lots of exercise, then as muscle weighs more than fat, I may not need to. I'm only 5ft 5 (ish - on a good day) but for years I was 8 1/2 stones and looked and felt well on it. I know that I'll be too skinny if I ever were to get down to that weight, but I have this mental picture of me and a "right weight" in my head.

Also, CV is quite OS - lots of fresh fruit and veg, no processed foods at all. Just honest, healthy nosh. Ok, it may be a bit drastic for a lot of people, but in principle I think it's great.

Now, maybe I'll go and do 20..erm... 2 sit-ups :d
  • AussieLass
    • 8th Jan 06, 12:29 PM
    • 8th Jan 06, 12:29 PM
    What is CV? I was 8 stone for years. I probably was underweight. I look back at photo's now and cringe and how skinny I was. I would never want to go back to the weight now. I am 5ft 8 and I weigh 10 stone. I was that at 9 months pregnant with my three. When I hit my 30's I think my metabolism slowed up as I ate all the rubbish and I never put it on. (those were the days) But when I do put weight on it always settles around my tummy area. It could settle on my boob area but oh no.

KC good luck with your diet. It must get hard going to put on a lot of weight like that so keep your morale up. It's also hard to eat sensibly in cold weather as well. So much comfort food around.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

• Gillby1
    • By Gillby1 8th Jan 06, 12:48 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    Gillby1
    • 8th Jan 06, 12:48 PM
    • 8th Jan 06, 12:48 PM
    My sister just did a detox using the Boots 5-day-detox kit - which consists of a daily drink and suppliment tablet. Thebasis of this plan, though, involves: cutting out dairy (includes eggs), alcohol, caffiene, processed foods, excess sugar and salt, refined products (white bread, pasta, rice, wheat or sugar coated cereal etc...) and red meat. She ate very well - loads of fruit and veg, chicken, brown rice and bread and pasta, plus baked potato's with low sugar/salt beans. Oatcakes. Homemade soups. She susbstituted dairy products for goats milk, cheese and yoghurt - and found them really nice. She did have a terrible headache from giving up caffiene as apparently she was drnking 7 or 8 cups per day!

Good luck.

Gills
    Debt free date: October 2006
  • carol_a
    • 8th Jan 06, 1:13 PM
    • 8th Jan 06, 1:13 PM
    I did the Carol Vorderman 28 day plan too a couple of years ago. It is a lot of extra work, chopping, cooking, soaking all those pulses etc but very OS (apart from the supplements) but I felt marvellous on it after the first few days had passed when I had a headache and felt a bit "fluey", cold and shivery. Unfortunately I went on holiday to a friend's mum's in France immediately afterwards and went straight back into bad eating habits. It's been downhill ever since.

I really think I should try it again or maybe the Gillian Mckeith plan where at least you're allowed fish and white meat. Regarding the caffeine, I did have a couple of cups of decaffeinated tea a day and I don't drink coffee anyway.
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 8th Jan 06, 1:27 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    • 8th Jan 06, 1:27 PM
    • 8th Jan 06, 1:27 PM
    Wow, lots of help here, thanks to one and all. It sounds like I need to cut out all the crap I am eating, the hardest will be the bread (I LOVE this with LOTS of butter) andthe coffee. I might try and slowly reduce the coffee rather than stop dead, might have a coranary otherwise!

I am 5'8" and weigh a horrifying 16st6lbs I didnt used to look too bad and carried the weight quite well but over the last year put on 2.5st and now look really fat. None of my jeans fit, well, to be honest, none of any of my clothes fit. I am hoping that detoxing will kick start my metabolism and make loosing the extra 6st I am carrying a tiny bit easier!

Good Luck To All Of Us!!!!!!!
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • Sarahsaver
    Real old style? This will 'clear you out':
    Guinness or another stout like Murphy's one pint or two, it doesn't matter.
    Some prunes. Tinned for true authentic old style...
    Have this in the evening, and in the morning you will be at least a pound lighter LOL
    If it doesn't go straight through you theres something the matter!

Isn't it true that its a natural detox anyhow to come off the high fat high protein high alcohol diet of Christmas and just get back to normal? :rolleyes:
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 8th Jan 06, 2:05 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    Last year i put on 2 stone after having to take a course of steroids for 6 months. Once i came off the steroids, i had a lot of problems getting the weight back off. In the end, i cut out potatoes and bread, changed to decaff tea bags and coffee (i did not notice a difference in taste at all) and instead of the crisps and chocolate (crisps are my big weakness) i ate nuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, plus fruit. In less than 2 months the weight had come off, and i felt healthier than i had for a long time, i thought it would kill me, as i do love crispy roast potatoes, and home made bread and butter, but after the first few days, i was fine, and now im back to trying(!!!!) to eat normally, but healthily, im still not wanting as much potatoes or bread. Hope this helps a little.
    Catherine x
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 8th Jan 06, 2:12 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I'm very sceptical of detoxes-surely that's what your liver and kidneys are for,getting rid of toxins?

It sounds like a lot of the plans on offer, be they in book form or kit say the same thing-give the alcohol,caffeine and refined foods a miss for a while and make sure you get plenty of vitamins and minerals,oh,and no cigarettes obviously.That's all pretty old stlye.

I also need to lose weight,at 5' 4'' I weigh 13st 11lb.I'd like to lose at least 3 stone.This time last week,however I weighed 14 st 2lb-I know most of this loss is water,but I've just been eating smaller meals,noticing when I'm full and not snacking(too much) ,and also drinking less(alcohol,that is not water).

There's a weight loss thread on the I wanna board with a weekly weigh in on Friday
  • SallyinWales
    Hop over to www.weightlossresources.co.uk and sign up for their free three day trial. Put in all your details and the amount you want to lose, then whilst your trail lasts, fill out their online food diary which not only works out what your daily calorie intake in (and the excercise is factored in), but it also compares the nutritional profile of what you ate to an idealised fat/carb/protein profile for you based on eth info you input. Its a really good way to see if you are fairly close to what you should be eating or way off. Another thing you could do in the free trial is calculate some favourite meals, then you can see if you can make any simple adjustments that mean you can eat what you like but still eat better and with a few fewer calories.

You can do more than one free trial too, so you could do three days at the start, then again in a month and see how you are doing. I actually have a paid subscription to the site and I lost 2 stone without really dieting, just by being very aware of what I was eating and what effect the excercise had.

Otherwise, make sure you get enough water, make sure you get a good walk every day (up and down the street if you have to!), dance gratuitously (bellydancing is ace fun and really good for you) and see if you can cut back a little on the caffeine and the bread, they are both really well known culprits if you are trying to un-podge!
    • some1shy
    • By some1shy 8th Jan 06, 2:45 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    some1shy
    here is a link to another thread that someone asked a question like you have about detoxing ..thought it maybe handy to read other replies as well..
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=94568
    Change Jar: 19

" To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 8th Jan 06, 4:06 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    When i first started trying to lose weight, i cut down on my food intake a lot, eating lots of fruit instead of meals etc, but when i was weighed, i wasnt losing anything. When i asked the nurse, she thought maybe i wasnt eating enough, so i started eating a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacking on fruit, nuts and seeds and the weight dropped off!!! And because i had cut out the caffine, crisps , sweets and alcohol, it was a perfect detox as well!!!!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Jan 06, 4:07 PM
    • 16,408 Posts
    • 140,260 Thanks
    JackieO
    To those who wish to diet put your breadmaker under lock and key throw out that lovely creamy butter and red meat and hide the chip pan Throw away the frying pan and make galleons of soup.Walk everywhere.
    You will lose weight,but will you be happy, or grumpy and have obnoxous breath. Weigh(sorry) up the pro's and cons before you do owt drastic.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan 307.43 15th November 19.80 first shop of the month
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 8th Jan 06, 5:33 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Aussielass - CV is Carol Vorderman.

I know that bread is one of the worst culprits for that spare tyre

However, when I did the CV detox a couple of years ago, I didn't buy the spirulina or any other supplement. I had some multi vits etc in the cupboard and made do with those. So, it really is OS in that you buy decent food, do very little to it and eat well.

My diet must start tomorrow. We've had chips and nuggets etc for tea followed by jelly and ice cream then I've helped DS2 out by eating a choccy bar he doesn't like (well, I'm assuming he wouldn't have liked it )

I've never had to diet before. But I moved house (had to drive everywhere), had a baby and hit 40 all in a short space of time. Last time i did the detox, it was because i wanted to feel better. I'm not saying it will help everybody, but it worked for me. Off to read my CV detox book (ebay, 3.50)

PS - I'm assured you don't get stinky breath with this detox.
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 8th Jan 06, 6:16 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    Right then, I've started making 2 lists.The first is what I need to get dh to buy from the market on tuesday,the 2nd is all the lovely, lovely things I am allowed no more of.

Much like you TM, I've not had too much of a prob in the past but having 3 kids in the space of 2 1/2 years has been absolute murder. I never lost the weight from one before falling with the next. Baby 1 gained 3 1/2st!, Baby 2 gained 2 1/2st! Baby 3 gained 12lbs (might have started to learn my lesson by then?) So now I am a 5'8", 16st6lb, 26 year old, clinically depressed, tired, worn out mum of 3 who needs to loose 6 stone!

I have little or no will power and always struggle with this kind of thing. I am going to start keeping both a food diary and an "emotional" diary. Hopefully I can chart my progress using both. I will restrict myself to a once weekly weigh in each Monday morning. You poor lot will be subject to it in each Mondays thread

Good luck to every one of us mad enough to try!
    Al.

PS-JackieO, I like your style girl!
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 8th Jan 06, 7:26 PM
    • 6,924 Posts
    • 44,203 Thanks
    Pooky
    Drink plenty of water....drink a big glass about 10 mins before you're likely to eat, helps to make you feel fuller.

As for the bread - don't make it - bread is my downfall - I buy wraps or pitta breads for DD's lunchboxes....they don't have the same appeal to me as bread. Since having "issues" with my breadmaker (i.e everything's coming out like breeze blocks) we've hardly used it for anything other than dough. Potatoes are also a huge weakness of mine, DH is now in charge of potatoes as it's the only way I won't cook enough for 10 people and lets face it once they're cooked it's a shame not to eat them.

I don't drink coffee so don't have that issue, I have maybe 2-3 cups of tea a day but have found a sugar free squash that I like and buy fizzy water (yes I know - not very OS but it's only shops value 13p a bottle stuff). I drink several big glasses of that during the day and have noticed I'm not retaining so much water now.

I don't drive so it's either walk or don't bother as bus fares are so pricey here. We have lots of veg but I'm really bad at fruit, so I've found another fruit bowl and put it on a table right in front of where I sit in the living room - this way rather than walk to the kitchen (lets face it, why bother for an apple) it's all to hand and I've been having 3 bits of fruit of an evening whether I fancy it or not.....it WILL become a habit!! :rolleyes:

I've lost a stone and a half in the last 12 months by changing my eating habits rather than any crash diet, hopefully that way it will stay off. I'm hoping that this year I will do another stone. I'm treating my weight loss like my MSE experience, one thing at a time and it will all come together.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Dobie
    One thing at a time
    I agree with Pooky, I lost 20lbs last year by changing one thing at a time rather than trying to do anything drastic.
    As soon as I think 'I'm on a diet' I start to obsess about food & eventually think 'what the hell' & binge on all the wrong things. I started by increasing the amount of water I drank then once that was a habit (& it DOES become a habit) I cut out alcohol except for 2 nights a week, when that became 'the norm' I stopped eating starchy carbs with my evening meal. Gradual changes really worked for me, I never felt deprived I just thought I was improving my diet.
    It takes a bit longer but I really believe it's the long term answer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

959Posts Today

6,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin