Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • x3ja
    • 21st Aug 08, 1:34 PM
    • 21st Aug 08, 1:34 PM
    I use "annual leave" because saying you're "on holiday" sounds like you're always jetting off to somewhere exotic, whereas you might just be enjoying a few long lie-ins. However, I do say "holiday" when that's what I'm doing - like when I'm off to Morocco soon - can't wait to see the sun - I've forgotten what it looks like!
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 21st Aug 08, 1:36 PM
    • 11,863 Posts
    • 11,403 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    • 21st Aug 08, 1:36 PM
    • 21st Aug 08, 1:36 PM
    It differentiates from other types of leave - paternity leave, sick leave, sabbatical, etc.
  • Adasta
    • 21st Aug 08, 1:50 PM
    • 21st Aug 08, 1:50 PM
    Because it's the type of leave which is given annually?
    • lonestar1
    • By lonestar1 21st Aug 08, 3:42 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    lonestar1
    • 21st Aug 08, 3:42 PM
    • 21st Aug 08, 3:42 PM
    I say Im on Annual Leave because I rarely go on actual holidays but If I tell some of my work collegues Im just lazing around at home they may be tempted to call me at home if a problem crops up
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 21st Aug 08, 4:37 PM
    • 5,436 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 21st Aug 08, 4:37 PM
    • 21st Aug 08, 4:37 PM
    Saying I'm on annual leave is just a less offensive (and shorter) way of saying Yes, I knew perfectly well I was not going to be in at work, but I didn't make any effort to ask someone else to look at my emails - so you will just have to wait for an answer until I return. Tough!
    • Amber Sunshine
    • By Amber Sunshine 21st Aug 08, 6:00 PM
    • 1,595 Posts
    • 3,918 Thanks
    Amber Sunshine
    • 21st Aug 08, 6:00 PM
    • 21st Aug 08, 6:00 PM
    It would make more sense to use the term 'annual leave' here in Spain, where a lot of firms close in August because of the heat. So staff have to take holidays then.
    • rb6ac
    • By rb6ac 21st Aug 08, 7:01 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    rb6ac
    • 21st Aug 08, 7:01 PM
    • 21st Aug 08, 7:01 PM
    My out of office uses the phrase 'annual leave' due to the fact I use the same mobile for work and personal calls. My mobile number is shown on my e-mail signature, and so I use 'annual leave' rather than say "I'm not in the office at the moment" to deter people from contacting me on the mobile. Not just clients, but colleagues too. And, as JimmyTheWig says, it differentiates from other types of leave. x
  • notlongnow
    • 21st Aug 08, 7:02 PM
    • 21st Aug 08, 7:02 PM
    No idea. Its what it says at the top of my holiday form.
    May 10 a day challenge
    19.61/310

Ebay challenge...12.61/200
    • Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 21st Aug 08, 7:30 PM
    • 19,247 Posts
    • 58,472 Thanks
    Oblivion
    I'm happily retired now so my annual leave is ..... errm .... annual

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 13th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • OTTO
    Annual leave
    It's a polite way of saying any combination of the following in one sentence:

"Leave me alone to enjoy my own free time"
    "Do not try to contact me"
    "I will not be replying to any emails, even though I may be monitoring them"
    "I am on a super holiday of a lifetime, but I dont want you to know that"
    "I'n not being paid to work, so get lost"

Probably about 200 other lines that could be added, but they all can be summed up in one line.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 21st Aug 08, 9:58 PM
    • 32,741 Posts
    • 64,974 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I always just used to say I was on leave.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Alfie E
    If were specifically talking about email auto-replies, could it be an Americanism? If your email system has default auto-replies, its more likely to offer Im on annual leave than Im off on my summer hols. Even if people are manually entering all of it, they may be copying what theyve seen from other peoples default auto-replies. Americans do, on average, have less holiday than us, so annual leave means just that; its the one block of time thats not a fixture like Thanks Giving.
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • Mozette
    It differentiates from other types of leave - paternity leave, sick leave, sabbatical, etc.
    Originally posted by JimmyTheWig
    Spot on! Anyway, I've been 'discouraged' from leaving my more frivolous type of autoreplies. Boring old gits that I work for. Actually now I just tend to say that I'm out, and will be back on DD:MM:CCYY. Which is really dull.
    • kyh
    • By kyh 21st Aug 08, 10:26 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    kyh
    For me it differentiaites when I am at home relaxing with my family or out of the office at a meeting probably overseas - one is enjoyable and a break from work and the other isn't! If I am away from work but working then feel free to ring me - if I am with my family - DON'T
  • before hollywood
    i only use the phrase at work, as of saturday 6pm if you email me the automated reply will state

'annual leave till 12th of september'

meaning 'get lost and do it yourself for a change, i'm abroad for the first time in 7 years'
    things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then
    BH is my best mate too, its ok

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester..
    Originally posted by MercilessKiller
    all your base are belong to us
  • Jenna
    I use "annual leave" because I work for a global blue-chip company ... and out-of-office responses saying things like "I'm off on my hols so no one will reply to you for 2 weeks - hah!" are frowned upon for some reason...!

Also because it can sound arrogant (I think, anyway) to announce to the world at large that you are currently sunning yourself in some far-flung corner of the globe.

And last but not least - I am a woman working in an office full of men. I dress smartly at work and like to be thought of as a professional and responsible person ... and I don't want to conjure up images of me in a bikini (need I say more? lol).

Interesting one though!
    Target debt - Loan left over from previous relationship - c. 3700
    Courage is found in unlikely places J.R.R. Tolkien
    • frugalpam
    • By frugalpam 22nd Aug 08, 2:10 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 4,844 Thanks
    frugalpam
    Not a phrase I use - my auto reply at work says 'I'm on holiday', and I hope they're jealous when they read it
  • bramblejam
    It's a kind of office-ese. These days employers are getting more prescriptive about these things and generally give you the wording. I generally put "I am out of the office ..." as I don't want people to think I'm away and burgle me.

bramble
  • iieee
    I use "annual leave" because saying you're "on holiday" sounds like you're always jetting off to somewhere exotic, whereas you might just be enjoying a few long lie-ins. However, I do say "holiday" when that's what I'm doing - like when I'm off to Morocco soon - can't wait to see the sun - I've forgotten what it looks like!
    Originally posted by x3ja
    Ditto above. I guess I'm just pedantic.
    :: MFi3 ::
    Original mortgage free date ~ January 2030
    Current mortgage free date ~ July 2028

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

697Posts Today

6,549Users online

Martin's Twitter