Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 95
    • fluffysox
    • By fluffysox 19th Aug 08, 11:18 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    fluffysox
    Apples and blackberries- I have the weediest apple tree in my garden, but this year for the first time it has produced a respectable crop . Also spotted a load of blackberries- I knew there was a reason I don't often weed the garden .

Spent £6 yesterday on bread and milk etc. Got some sliced roast beef from B&M, very cheap for the weight. Yesterdays dinner was Mum's idea (she spotted the beef), I made some mashed spuds in pressure cooker and some onion gravy then added chopped beef into the gravy. (I also added some button mushrooms from a tin). Was gorgeous. Also made two lots of sandwiches from the best bits of meat. And the dog enjoyed a few bits on her dinner.

Today was a meal out for a birthday. Not too expensive only spent about £16 for the two of us.
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013
  • Sian the Green
    Well my car goes in tomorrow for its MOT, not sure it is going to survive and tbh I'd be glad to see the back of it, never buy a S*xo if you have the chance. I've had a pretty cheap summer all in all so could get a new (to me at least) car, but would mean tightening the purse strings for a while though with this challenge the thought of budgeting somehow becomes much more exciting.
    (Non grocery question-Anyone know anything about Daweoo Matisses want to PM me, positive or negative!)
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • princess leia
    Morning all,

Kymbogs - the hovis mix is a promo price as when i first saw it, it was over £1 not sure how long it will stay cheap for tho, so I am tempted to do an Asda shop to get more and stock up!!
    I need cereal as kids eat so much, does anyone know if you can make 'ready brek' byt whizzing value oats up or is it a bit more technical than that?
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• kymbogs
    Morning all,

Kymbogs - the hovis mix is a promo price as when i first saw it, it was over £1 not sure how long it will stay cheap for tho, so I am tempted to do an Asda shop to get more and stock up!!
    I need cereal as kids eat so much, does anyone know if you can make 'ready brek' byt whizzing value oats up or is it a bit more technical than that?
    Originally posted by princess leia
    Hi again

DAMN about the hovis mix. I've already got 16 bags on order that's just for next month lol! Then we'll be moving on to flour/yeast.

When I was weaning Molly I used to make various types of porridge (one was an Annabel Karmel Pear + apricot Porridge) and that was whizzed in the blender, but now she'll eat normal porridge anyway, might be worth seeing if yours will? When we start weaning Megan I'm going to try her with non-whizzed porridge and see how she goes, hoping to avoid the blender if at all possible this time.
    Last edited by kymbogs; 21-08-2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: remembered name of recipe
    Spoiling my two baby girls with love - it's free and it's fun!

I'm not very good at succinct. Why say something in 10 words when 100 will do?
  • princess leia
    Ok I will try that thanks, but I must confess that I have never made porridge in my life I have always eaten ready brek (but shop version tho) I only have the oats in to make flapjacks and twinks
    I will def make some porridge tomorrow morning and see how it goes down

• Chell
    • By Chell 20th Aug 08, 7:21 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    My two children both eat porridge too. I had a veggie baby cook book when DS was weaning, it suggested topping the porridge with dessicated coconut as it adds sweetness but is also nutricious. My children still eat it like this altough DH has introduced them to jam. They are using up my homemade jam that was runny by drizzling it on their porridge. They have hot porridge with some cold milk round the edge, topped with coconut and jam.

They also like raisins or sultanas mixed into porrodge. Meanwhile Mummy sneaks sugar on hers and they think it is plain, LOL.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • kymbogs
    Sneaky Chell!

I've been making porridge every morning for Molly and me and she has raisins stirred into hers and a tiny bit of golden syrup mixed into it too. I put a little syrup in mine but will have to wean myself off, or put sweetener in it.
    Spoiling my two baby girls with love - it's free and it's fun!

I'm not very good at succinct. Why say something in 10 words when 100 will do?
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

Well tha gammon is on the cooker top merrily bubbling away.... and the banana n ginger parkin/cake is in the oven...pinkies crossed as i have done my usual.... "use 100g of A....hmmmm ok i have 100g of B...that will do"

Hubby has taken a flask full of soup from the freezer with some wedges of HM bread for lunch.... i have another problem... im trying to make room in the freezer.. but i won't be able to make myself through away the gammon stock ..so im going to reduce it right down to so it will almost be jelly like once cold...then freeze it -using less space and dilute it down again when i use it .

Thankfully MeggyMoo passed her BFG test this week..so no repairs required ... and no road tax to pay whilst we are here .. so thats a relief..and one less thing to pay so the savings account is safe for a bit longer

Fluffysox.. my hubby is the oppsite of yours... wears something for an hour or two..hangs it back in the wardrobe..wears it a few days later and goes to put it back because"i only had it on for a few hours" :rolleyes: YES but that could be going on for weeks at that rate ....and i refuse to do the "sniff test" i just recognise his fave clothes and retrieve them when im washing

Bails.... oh go on then... if he came back from that i will bow to his determination..but he still does my head in ..i like nice sensible ray mears

Hopefully hubby will be coming back with some apples from his ex-boss today ..if he remembers -apparently his boss has the memory of a gnat..so fingers crossed

Yesterday we both ended up with the shepherds pie and cauli/broc cheese for dinner -and you couldn't tell either had come out of the freezer so thats a few more tubs of HM portions out of the way

Tonight is hm tortillas with gammon, hm coleslaw and salad mmmmm ..possibly followed by a bit of cake..its smelling lovely -i WILL resist fetching a tub of jersey cream out of the freezer... honest -i will

Right i will get ouside and collect more tomatoes ..im averaging 12oz -1lb a day at the moment ..mainly the smaller ones at the moment.. but it won't be long before the biggies are ready

right..have a great day everyone.. will pop back later and share the cake recipe (if it comes out ok)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • princess leia
    Ok, I have just taken the ready break out of my basket, thank you ladies

• MRSMCAWBER
    Banana Ginger Parkin Recipe
    Woo Hoooo I'm back

Its done... and its a bruiser but best of all it didn't sink My parkins always used to sink :confused: ....

Right i will post the recipe..and add my alterations along side just incase anyone wants to use it -(i doubled it up to use the nanas n eggs -so mine is a bit bigger than it should be) but the quantities below are for the "proper sized one"

BANANA GINGER PARKIN
    pre-heat oven to 160c/325f/gas3
    grease and line a 7" x 11" tin

Just want to add - that this recipe does not last for 2 months as stated in the recipe..they are telling fibbs
    1. 200g plain flour -i used SR flour but still used 1/2 the bicarb -just in case
    2. 2tsp bicarb
    3. 2tsp ground ginger
    4. 150g medium oatmeal -I used porridge oats
    5. 4tbs dark muscavado sugar -I used molasses
    6. 75g sunflower marge
    7. 150g golden syrup - I added a bit of the syrup from the stem ginger jar
    8. 1 beaten egg
    9. 3 ripe bananas -mashed
    • sift flour, bicarb and ginger
    • stir in oatmeal
    • melt syrup, marge and sugar in a pan over a low heat -then stir into flour mix well
    • beat in egg and banana
    • spoon into tin and bake for about 1hr until firm to the touch, allow to cool then remove from tin
    Strangely enough mine only took 1hr -even though the recipe was doubled :confused: and my tin was 10 1/2" x 8 1/2"..and it came out about 2 1/2" deep

They drizzle icing over and pieces of stem ginger.. i have just brushed over some of the syrup from the stem ginger.. If we like it and i make it again im adding pieces of stem ginger.. just didn't want to add anymore weight to it incase it made it sink

Now then -how long can i leave it for before testing ... i reckon this will get much better with keeping..hopefully all sticky mmmmm

With it keeping so well it would be great for those who have to pack up kiddies lunches... you could miss the ginger out and add a few choc drops, sultanas etc...
    Last edited by MRSMCAWBER; 28-08-2008 at 5:01 PM.
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 20th Aug 08, 8:28 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hi again

DAMN about the hovis mix. I've already got 16 bags on order that's just for next month lol! Might have to add a few more! Then we'll be moving on to flour/yeast.

When I was weaning Molly I used to make various types of porridge (one was an Annabel Karmel Pear Porridge) and that was whizzed in the blender, but now she'll eat normal porridge anyway, might be worth seeing if yours will? When we start weaning Megan I'm going to try her with non-whizzed porridge and see how she goes, hoping to avoid the blender if at all possible this time.
    Originally posted by kymbogs
    DS has just had porridge made with dried pears and then the whole lot mushed a little to break the pears up more (I chop them first). He likes the porridge with pears, apples, apricots, figs or blueberries (not all at once though!). He loves raisins and dates and prunes (not sugar rolled varieties of course) so might try throwing them in some time. He also loves pear and prune spread on toast but mighty messy it is!
    On another note, not sure what today holds next, already hung out washing and made some DS porridge. Do need some 'bits' so maybe another trip to shops (Lidl ?).
    Hugs to all who need them.
    x
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 20th Aug 08, 8:33 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    I dont shop online by choice but I'm agoraphobic & have PVFS/ME so its quite hard for me to go out and do it myself. I dont mind buying store cupboard stuff online but would prefer to be able to choose my own fruit & veg and meat The peppers I got tonight were nice big fresh ones though
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Poor you :confused:, I wasn't making a dig though, it must be hard.
    Glad they got you nice peppers though .
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 20th Aug 08, 8:36 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Too get cheaper electricity at night you need to have Economy seven. I used to wash at night until someone I know had her kitchen burn down while she was asleep. It was a new w/machine that caused it.
    Originally posted by Chell

It's a good job we have an old washer then lol. We sleep above the kitchen.
    Might not feel so bad doing daytime washes now lol!
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 20th Aug 08, 8:47 AM
    • 4,972 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    My only spend yesterday was some bread that was reduced to half price (Hovis) in the Co-Op. This was still from the cash we took out earlier in the month for odds and sods durin gthe week.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting
    YNAB lover
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 20th Aug 08, 9:10 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Today have bought:

15 red peppers (these are on offer in MrT for 50p EACH = £7.50's worth)
    10+ small bananas
    bag of carrots
    bag of apples
    bag of red onions
    10 tomatoes
    some green beans
    2 aubergines

All for under £10

Gonna be busy roasting, chopping and freezing peppers tonight though
    Originally posted by newlywed
    In fact there were 22 red peppers (coz he also gave me a load of slightly damaged ones) and have chopped, sliced, frozen, and roasted. (Mostly before OH sees the slightly damaged bits as he'd chuck the whole thing for a tiny bruise/mark :rolleyes

Now have some whole red peppers in the fridge (ready for stuffed peppers in the slow cooker), sliced red peppers in the fridge for chicken wraps tonight, sliced red peppers in the freezer for another day, chunks of peppers in the fridge for roasting and chunks of peppers in the freezer as well as some roasted peppers and aubergine in the fridge. And there's still some more peppers to sort out

Still all that veg should keep us going till payday (OH loves red peppers too, thankfully)

Will just need more milk, apples and nanas at the end of the week and I should be sorted - hopefully right through the bank holiday

Gone over my limit though but still have some cash left this month so not so worried as payday should be early coz 25th is bank holiday (and not nearly as badly over limit as last month). Plus the freezer is full and I still have in the freezer:

6 salmon fillets
    some value cod fillets
    2 smoked haddock fillets
    2 marlin steaks (fish)
    a large value bacon joint
    some roast chicken pickings for chicken cobbler or pie.
    2 lots of 400g mince
    4 burgers (well they were on offer and I thought I could have a day off making them )
    Some mini sausage rolls

There should be a pack of sausages in that drawer too somewhere, I think from looking at my meal plan :confused:

So I'm thinking I've done pretty well with the amount of food left (freezer is packed full) and the fact I've got a bit of money left - even if I have overspent on my budget

Next month should be easier with that much food left to carry over

Planning to use more cash next month and keep track (and use the veg shop more ).

NSD for me today

DMP support thread (member #32)

• bails
    Hi guys! The 29p breadmix sounds great, don't suppose there's a cheap wholemeal one as well?
    No more spends here yet with 11 days to go, although may need to stock up to keep the decorators (aka my lovely parents) fed. Have no bread and no energy to make any (must try Weezl's no knead recipe when get the chance). Have a great day all!
    Last edited by bails; 20-08-2008 at 9:13 AM.
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016

500/30,000
    1.67%
  • ZoeGirl
    I am getting down to the wire, was a bit naughty and forgot to make a plate to take somewhere and had to buy something, and then to make it worse, promised two girls at school I would make em a cake for tomorrow lol...so have to buy cream etc

Oh well, should still manage. Have no more money anyway, so will have to make it go somehow.

Sounds like you are a great cook MrsM. I love the subsitute method lol, what fun would cooking be without it :confused: besides, means you can use things up easier
    "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without!!"
    Nov NSD: ?/30 Nov Make 10 Day ?/300
    Get Rid Of Debt: ?/2000 !!
  • WelshWoofer
    Hello from a wet and soggy Manchester.
    Two NSDs so far this week but today may end up with a mini-spend depending on whether I need to cook tea for OH or not - its gym night and I usually end uo making soemthing for him to come back to - he's a meatie and I'm a veggie so I have to make something that we'll both eat or make two versions of the same thing.

I'm thinking meatballs and pasta with sauce (I already have quorn meatballs and could get some meat ones on the way home - I have some Nectar points I can use (saving the MrT ones for the big shop) so really its not a spend.

I'm away from the office tomorrow at a customer site so its a long drive (3 hrs each way) and plenty of bored munching time in the car so I'm going to try to think of things to take with me. Work will pay expenses but its never good for you stuff that's diet friendly in service stations - have managed to now lose 10lbs! I only want to lose a stone so not much more to go now....

Anyway, I made a batch of leek and potato soup yesterday so I'll have an easy and quick diet friendly tea for when I eventually get back.

Have a good day,
    Cheers
    R x
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 20th Aug 08, 9:51 AM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 29,816 Thanks
    sashanut
    Rat!!
    Oh disaster today - we have visitor in the cellar a RAT where I store all my overspill stuff. Probably what attracted it in the first place!! It has gnawed through the ventilation grate & attacked lots of stuff that has to be thrown away..... pasta, rice, cereal etc etc it has chewed through the packets....ugh so beware everyone & make sure you store stuff in plastic crates w/lids as I should have done. DH LOVES plastic crates so he is in his element...

Also one of our kitties has been missing now for 3 days, I fear the worst as she is very timid, small & quick & I can't see her going to anyone voluntarily. Methinks it is time to make some posters to put up in case anyone has seen her but I am not hopeful, not sure where I can contact & no, she isn't chipped
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 20th Aug 08, 10:00 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Also one of our kitties has been missing now for 3 days, I fear the worst as she is very timid, small & quick & I can't see her going to anyone voluntarily. Methinks it is time to make some posters to put up in case anyone has seen her but I am not hopeful, not sure where I can contact & no, she isn't chipped
    Originally posted by sashanut
    Ask any neighbors if they can check their sheds etc. Our cat once went missing for 7 days and when she came back she was fine but her claws were all shredded like she'd been clawing to get out so think she must have been in a shed somewhere! She was soooo nosey though - she used to run into other people's houses as they were coming out and once got shut in and sat in the window!! We had to wait till they came home and apologise!

DMP support thread (member #32)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

1,934Users online

Martin's Twitter