Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 86
    • craftingqueen
    • By craftingqueen 17th Aug 08, 3:06 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    craftingqueen
    Goodafternoon everyone it's our wedding anniversary today hubby and me have been spoilt by our kids. We brought ourselves a george foreman, jury is out at the moment wether we are going to use it enough times.
    Have updated our challenge, was saying to hubby we might go over budget. But hubby thinks we will be fine. Fingers and everything else crossed.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
    • Chell
    • By Chell 17th Aug 08, 3:19 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    Gillaman, re: tofu burgers recipe, would you post that if you have time please. I'm a veggie who doesn't like tofu but DH and DD like it.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 17th Aug 08, 3:26 PM
    • 4,972 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    Is there a site that gives you the best current offers in supermarkets ? - as opposed to filling a trolley and checking the price in asda & tescos etc ?
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Mardatha - you will be pleased to know that yes there is It is called:

www.fixtureferrets.co.uk

You pay a small fee for the year and for that you can log in whenever you want and see all the deals available at each supermarket - it has easily saved me £30 so far (I only joined 2 months ago) so well worth the money

I *think* we're at around £45 so far including some spending yesterday at the local veg market and Sainsburys. There was a naughty take away Friday night but that won't come out of the food budget... besides, I stretched it so that the extra rice from it padded out saturday's dinner, plus we had enough of the takeaway curry sauce to freeze for another dinner...

The A4 paper calendar sheets are working out well so far, I have printed Sep / Oct / Nov and Dec in advance ready to fill in. I then transfer 2 weeks at a time to our drywipe board in the kitchen, where we also have a little corner on it to scribble bits that we need.
    Last edited by EagerLearner; 17-08-2008 at 3:28 PM.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting
    YNAB lover
  • jackk
    Just updating sig, i think it's gonna be very tight this month.

Not sure if its been said already cos there is way to many posts to read, but Asda is doing cravendale for £1.

Jackie x
    • AlwaysHappy
    • By AlwaysHappy 17th Aug 08, 4:44 PM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 11,732 Thanks
    AlwaysHappy
    Hello there! Can I join in please? My month properly starts on the 20th which is payday so not sure if I join this month or Septembers. I've started spending already - I was led astray by this thread and someone pointing out Asda had some 50p offers on, so it would have been rude not to go... Anyway, I budget £260 for food for the month and I think I usually at least spend that, rather than the mentality being how not to spend it IFYKWIM, anyway, last month I actually overspent by £26.77, I at least want to reduce my monthly spend to £250 so thats another £10 taken off, and so far I have spent ....£62.62 (and I don't really get started for another 2 days so its going to be a loooooong month), so by my reckoning I have £160.61 left for the next 33 days!!! On the plus side, you couldn't get anything else in my freezer if you had a crowbar. I'm hoping for lots of help and suggestions as the month progresses - my Mum is also staying with us for 10 days in this period but there are usually 2 adults, 1 child and a dog. Thanks
  • fertyskids
    Hi everyone.

A NSD for me today... Hooray!!

Katlady - So sorry to hear about Archie, i was really hoping hed pull through for you. my cat is now 21yrs old and we get scared he may go anytime, everytime he looses weight or looks a bit weary. anyway hes still here and jumping fences, well throwing himself at them and scrambling up. also still sh**gs stuffed dog so probably ok!!

Eager Learner - could you please explain how you use A4 calendar sheets. im using your spreadsheet and so far its making a lot of sense. i was hoping these might as well. i ccok for 9 everyday at the mo. i find it difficult to remember whats in the freezer and then to make a huge meal out of what is bits and bobs sometimes.

anyway all ok here. i hope everyone else is. take care karen
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 17th Aug 08, 5:38 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hello everyone - got back from hols in wet Wales on Friday evening - had a lovely time depite the weather (I think it was even wetter here!) Whilst in Wales I enjoyed the novelty of shopping in Aldi and Lidl and Morrisons! We don't have any round here. I have to say I was a bit disappointed as I didn't feel that prices were all that cheap - though as we were on holiday and we weren't buying our usual stuff I suppose it is hard to make a proper comparison.

We visited an aunt of mine on the way home and she gave me a huge cabbage, some tomatoes, cooking apples, a cucumber and some courgettes from her garden which was very nice and I did a shop at Sainsbury's just before getting home too. I have updated my signature and have £61-98 to last till 29th. I am feeling ok with this as we are away at a wedding at the weekend and then for a couple of days after that, so I only have for find meals for 7 more days and there's loads in the freezer.

Last night we had hm burgers made from 125g mince , some leftover mushrooms and a handful of oats and breadcrumbs. They were delish! We had visitors for lunch today and I did a huge lamb casserole in the slow cooker - it wasn't cheap but it was tasty and everyone had clean plates! I made a pavlova from egg whites I had frozen previously plus the double cream I was asking about before I went away. It froze fine and I defrosted it overnight in the fridge with no ill effects (ie it didn't separate). I topped it with slices of peach and a few raspberries. There are peach slices and raspberries left over for tomorrow night's pud too so it was quite economical really!

It was a NSD for me yesterday and today and tomorrow will be too. In fact I don't expect to have to shop again till Thursday or Friday. Both DH and I put on weight on holiday so we are going to have to cut down a bit and do more excercise! (We are going swimming later this evening at the local pool - though it isn't cheap and we have to drive to get there - but I keep making excuses not to go!)

Sorry I don't have time to catch up on all the posts while I was away - so hugs to all who need them. We're on the downhill run now to the end of the month so hang in there everyone!

Love Moniker
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 17th Aug 08, 6:15 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    Well I spent £9.52 today on 4 x 400g of cheese it's on offer at min £2.00 Cathedral City extra mature DD2 eats loads of cheese I now have 8 pks. Also at our Coop they are doing Elmlea cream 39p normaly 83p so got 3 also they are doing carrorts 1.2kg for 54p normally £1.19 but they were reduced to 35p. I don't know if theys offers are just local or everywhere. I also got NOW today even though I don't really need too much shopping about £10 I am going to bulk buy again. My kind dad up a shlf up under my stairs so I have more storage space. God know what my DH will think when he gets home on wed I'll just put it down to the pregnancy.

I picked my first tomato yesterday and my first chill peppers today not sure what I am going to do with the chills yet if anyone has any idears i have 3.

Now going to freeze yet more runner beans strugling to eat them all.
    Have a good evening everyone.
    GC £7.79/£225 per month ~ wk1 £ 7.79/ £50
  • fertyskids
    Hi everyone.

sorry to be a bother.

a friend has just given me a huge cabbage from his allotment.

what can i do with it? will it freeze/would it need blanching? are there any meals i could hide it in?

thanks in advance as so far i have always had responses when i have askes for advice.

thanks karen
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi Fertyskids

Im not a fan of freezing cabbage -it always seems to hold water :confused:

How about making coleslaw... or shredding the cabbage, cooking and then mixing it into mashed potato,
    Its nice in stir fry too -even my niece -who "doesn't DO cabbage" will eat it that way
    oohh and i shred it and steam it then mix it in with my pasta when im having bolognaise... saves cals too
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • fertyskids
    Hi MrsMcawber,

thanks for those ideas.

im not stupid really but how do i make coleslaw as id really like to give it a go, my lot love it.

also how long do i cook it for and could it be put in mash and then freeze the mash?
  • fertyskids
    Hi MrsMcawber,

thanks for those ideas.

im not stupid really but how do i make coleslaw as id really like to give it a go, my lot love it.

also how long do i cook it for and could it be put in mash and then freeze the mash?:confused:

thanks karen
    Last edited by fertyskids; 17-08-2008 at 7:30 PM.
    • Chell
    • By Chell 17th Aug 08, 6:58 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    What type of cabbage is it? I'd only use white cabbage for coleslaw.
    • skintscotslass
    • By skintscotslass 17th Aug 08, 7:04 PM
    • 2,901 Posts
    • 45,286 Thanks
    skintscotslass
    Hi everyone...I'm way behind this month. Total spends for August so far are £63.18. I've started to count my mags and coffees in with my GC to try to cut back

Hope everyone is well xx
  • fertyskids
    Hi Chell,

thanks for asking i just remembered its a GREEN cabbage. i was really looking forward to some homemade colslaw. never mind. any other ideas please.

thanks karen
  • ShelBell
    Can I join in please, and just do half a month. Will start then from 1st September.

so for the rest of august my total will be £100. Eeek that sounds like nothing.

2 adults 2 cats 1 part time child.
    • Chell
    • By Chell 17th Aug 08, 8:14 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    Hi Chell,

thanks for asking i just remembered its a GREEN cabbage. i was really looking forward to some homemade colslaw. never mind. any other ideas please.

thanks karen
    Originally posted by fertyskids
    How about boiled cabbage with mash and whatever else you like one day eg sausages and gravy or something. Cook double mash and extra cabbage for the following day.

The following day mix the leftovers and fry it all up as bubble and squeak. I love this with beans and brown sauce.
  • gillaman
    Tofu burgers
    Gillaman, re: tofu burgers recipe, would you post that if you have time please. I'm a veggie who doesn't like tofu but DH and DD like it.
    Originally posted by Chell
    TOFU BURGERS

1lb tofu
    1/2 chopped onion
    1/2 chopped sweet pepper - any colour
    4 oz rolled oats
    1 oz plain flour
    2 dsps sesame seeds
    1 tsp herbs
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 egg
    1 dsp tomato sauce
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl
    Fry the onion and pepper for about 5 minutes, or until soft, and add to the dry ingredients
    Mix the soy sauce, egg and tomato sauce together then add to the dry ingredients
    Add salt and pepper
    Take enough of the mixture to shape into a burger about 6" or 7" round and ½” thick
    Fry gently for about 5 minutes, then turn over and fry for 5 minutes again

Notes:

This is an adaptation of several recipes I saw on the web so I can’t attribute it to anyone in particular.
    I used soft tofu, but I saw recipes for hard tofu as well.
    You could use porridge oats, or breadcrumbs or a combination of both if you like instead of the rolled oats. You could also miss out the sesame seeds.
    I don’t think it really matters if you use plain or self-raising flour as it’s only 1 oz.
    If you’re vegan miss out the egg and add another dessertspoon or so of soy sauce.
    This is a recipe which you can adapt to your own tastes – different spices, different herbs etc. I used oregano and parsley.
    Try a mouthful at least Chell – you might find like I did that it’s very tasty!!

General GC - I've updated my sig - 9 nsd's so far this month.
    Gill

Last edited by gillaman; 18-08-2008 at 8:43 PM.
    Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
    • Chell
    • By Chell 17th Aug 08, 8:28 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell

TOFU BURGERS

1lb tofu
    4 oz rolled oats
    1 oz plain flour
    2 dsps sesame seeds
    1 tsp herbs
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 egg
    1 dsp tomato sauce
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl
    Mix the soy sauce, egg and tomato sauce together then add to the dry ingredients
    Add salt and pepper
    Take enough of the mixture to shape into a burger about 6" or 7" round and ĹĒ thick
    Fry gently for about 5 minutes, then turn over and fry for 5 minutes again

Notes:

This is an adaptation of several recipes I saw on the web so I canít attribute it to anyone in particular.
    You could use porridge oats, or breadcrumbs or a combination of both if you like instead of the rolled oats. You could also miss out the sesame seeds.
    I donít think it really matters if you use plain or self-raising flour as itís only 1 oz.
    If youíre vegan miss out the egg and add another dessertspoon or so of soy sauce.
    This is a recipe which you can adapt to your own tastes Ė different spices, different herbs etc. I used oregano and parsley.
    Try a mouthful at least Chell Ė you might find like I did that itís very tasty!!
    Gill

Originally posted by gillaman
    Thanks, I've only bought the cauldron flavoured tofu. If I buy plain stuff what type of texture is it. Does it squish so you can mix it with the other ingrediants? :confused:

We have homemade bean burgers a lot, my two children love those.
  • fertyskids
    Hi Chell

thanks for that. im defrosting some prok would go,lovley with mash and cabbage instead of roasties. also bubble and squeak is a good idea. how do i do it? thanks karen
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter