Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lemonade_lifestyle
    • By lemonade_lifestyle 12th Aug 08, 10:03 PM
    • 352Posts
    • 83Thanks
    lemonade_lifestyle
    What will be top selling toys this xmas??
    • 12th Aug 08, 10:03 PM
    What will be top selling toys this xmas?? 12th Aug 08 at 10:03 PM
    Ok,
    So I am trying to get ahead of the game this year, and also start spreading cost of xmas rather than one big lump sum in NOvember.
    Soooo
    What do we think will be hot this christmas for the wee mites??????:confused:
    I have 1 ds who is 4 and 1 dd who is 12.
    DD has already been taken care of for main pressie, just small stocking fillers needed for her.
    But DS???:rolleyes: , I got pulled into the Wii craze last year, but luckily picked one up whilst visiting rele's in Oz (although they had nearly sold out over there as well!!!)_ Not getting dragged into that price inflating trap again.
    What is going to damn hot this year?? And I can be dead smug when I have already bought it, wrapped it and put it away whilst everyone else is having a nightmare??
    DS is into lego, power rangers, spiderman, cars, catch my drift??...
Page 2
  • RustyFlange
    My son got given a ffree go go's book at the local soft play area, since then he keeps talking about them and managed to find them on one of these little carts in the shopping centre and asked for them. I have no idea what they are or if they are worth the money!!!
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • RustyFlange
    Oh and I personally don't think Wall:E will be big at christmas as most places I go that have the items in stock are actually lowering the prices already which seems to say to me that they are not selling as well as hoped. Having seen the film myself I wouldn't say it was brilliant, I found it quite hard to understand in bits, which makes me think children would too!
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • hemc
    I think Wall-E will be big if the reaction among my kids friends is anything to go by!
    My 5 year old and 9 year old are mad for it! (must admit I quite liked it too )

HSM 3 stuff bound to be massive for girls with the film coming out in October !

c x
  • claffys
    Has anyone seen any pokemon stuff :confused:

Both My boys (8 & 6) are very into pokemon at the moment thanks to a ds game but haven't seen anything in the shops.

I am thinking of a football table for them as a joint present this year as they got loads of bits last year and only played with nintendo ds lites from my parents. (some stuff is still in boxes)

Em
    x
  • DaisyFlower
    Has anyone seen any pokemon stuff :confused:

Both My boys (8 & 6) are very into pokemon at the moment thanks to a ds game but haven't seen anything in the shops.

I am thinking of a football table for them as a joint present this year as they got loads of bits last year and only played with nintendo ds lites from my parents. (some stuff is still in boxes)

Em
    x
    Originally posted by claffys
    There does seem little pokemon items around. I bought a Guess the Pokemon game from Amazon earlier in the week to put up for xmas - bit like guess who but with pokemon, not seen it anywhere else. Tesco Direct have the marbles and launchers.
    • Lunar Eclipse
    • By Lunar Eclipse 15th Aug 08, 12:22 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 5,557 Thanks
    Lunar Eclipse
    Thanks for ideas....however we already have wii fit (it lives under the computer desk and like alot of things seems to be gathering dust!!!) and he does have a bike, he got this for his birthday.
    Originally posted by lemonade_lifestyle

I heard on the radio last week that some new moving/talking Teletubbie figure is going to be the Xmas bestseller. Obviously that isn't appropriate for your children.

Have you tried a google search? There is always a 'top 10' list that is published well in advance of Xmas, but perhaps not in August.

But if the highly desirable (and incredibly expensive) gift from last year is already sitting under a computer desk gathering dust just 7 months later, do you not wonder what the point of following all the hype is? I'd be tempted to either wait until Xmas Eve to buy one 'must have' item at whatever price you needed to pay to get it, or limit spending to £10 or £20 and buy now, on the basis that it is only filling a short term desire anyway. Oh and sell the Wii Fit to fund it all of course. Or am I alone in my complete pragmatism?

Re: Wall:E - I thought the film was great and they have some cool toys out already. But silly prices as to be expected.
    Last edited by Lunar Eclipse; 15-08-2008 at 12:25 PM.
    • rosekitten
    • By rosekitten 15th Aug 08, 5:26 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 2,282 Thanks
    rosekitten
    Dont know if this will be of any
    help but last Christmas we found
    out about play.com through reading
    the threads on here.
    It seemed especially good for action
    figures,ours were all into Harry Potter
    and Dr Who and we made good savings
    over the shop prices.I got some nice
    t shirts as well,also everthing included
    p&p as well.
    • lemonade_lifestyle
    • By lemonade_lifestyle 15th Aug 08, 9:27 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    lemonade_lifestyle
    But if the highly desirable (and incredibly expensive) gift from last year is already sitting under a computer desk gathering dust just 7 months later, do you not wonder what the point of following all the hype is? I'd be tempted to either wait until Xmas Eve to buy one 'must have' item at whatever price you needed to pay to get it, or limit spending to 10 or 20 and buy now, on the basis that it is only filling a short term desire anyway. Oh and sell the Wii Fit to fund it all of course. Or am I alone in my complete pragmatism?
    Originally posted by Lunar Eclipse
    I agree with you on one hit wonders... however it is the wii fit not the wii which appears to be redundant at the mo....come to think of it I should sell it as I believe that again there is a shortage of this product!! Gonna do a car boot on sunday to try and make some room and money for xmas!!

With ref to wall.e, even if its not a huge hit at cinema, DS seems to like the idea of it (he hasn't even seen it, doesn't like cinemas). So will have to get him the dvd as another present...

Do you think boys are easier or harder to buy for than girls??????
    • WartimeScrapingofMarmite
    • By WartimeScrapingofMarmite 16th Aug 08, 9:18 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    WartimeScrapingofMarmite
    My two are 8 and 4 1/2 - my 8 year old daughter is really into Puppy in my Pocket - as are all her friends, I think they are keeping our local WHSmiths in business buying the single packs and I know most places are out of stock of the 12 packs apart from Argos.

My 4 1/2 year old son wants Wall E toys for Christmas - Tesco have some really good prices on the action figures - we bought EVE and MO for £3.72 each which is the cheapest I've seen them anywhere. he also wants a DS - and after last Christmas when we couldn't find one anywhere for a reasonable price for our daughter, we bought him one in January to put away for this year!

I have to say I REALLY hate all this must-have toy business, it's just an excuse for stores and eBay sellers to over-inflate their prices which annoys me no end.

And as regards boys or girls being easier to buy for, I am finding it easier to think of pressies for my son than for my daughter...although that could just be the age she is at!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,976Posts Today

7,092Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin