Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 3rd Jan 06, 4:09 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Great Things You Should Buy Now For Next Christmas Hunt
    • 3rd Jan 06, 4:09 PM
    0 WOW
    Great Things You Should Buy Now For Next Christmas Hunt 3rd Jan 06 at 4:09 PM
    SHOCKING REVELATION! Next 25 December is Christmas day!! Act now!!!

The number of people who claim Christmas debts is due to 'unexpected' expenditure problems, means I thought it was worth a warning Christmas is due again this year. To help I'm launching the Great 'things to buy now for Xmas' hunt, I want to tap MoneySavers knowledge on what you should be buying in the sales and where the best deals can be had.

Decorations, Christmas trees, cards. All are going cheap in shops at the moment so I thought I'd tap MoneySavers' wealth of knowledge to draw up a list of anything and everything you should buy now in time for December.

Click reply to add your finds/ideas to the list.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 04-01-2006 at 1:55 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • aprilshower
    • By aprilshower 3rd Jan 06, 4:39 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    aprilshower
    • 3rd Jan 06, 4:39 PM
    • 3rd Jan 06, 4:39 PM
    I bought Christmas Crackers in Sainsburys yesterday for 62 pence a box for next Christmas - which I think is a bargain
    • cattie
    • By cattie 3rd Jan 06, 4:47 PM
    • 7,803 Posts
    • 5,321 Thanks
    cattie
    • 3rd Jan 06, 4:47 PM
    • 3rd Jan 06, 4:47 PM
    From WH Smith I bought a pack of 30 nice Christmas cards reduced from 4.99 to 99p, plus a couple of 4mtr rolls of luxury wrap, down from 3.99 to 49p.

M&S has gift tags reduced to 25p pack, 8 or 10 tags each pack. They also have 'special' cards reduced, ie to daughter.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • PeteM
    • By PeteM 3rd Jan 06, 4:49 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    PeteM
    • 3rd Jan 06, 4:49 PM
    • 3rd Jan 06, 4:49 PM
    The 99p Store/Pound Store/Wilkinsons are currently selling the Xmas wrapping paper and tags half price.

Picked up quite a few 5M rolls of Disney wrapping paper at Wilkos for 50p, and gift tags for 29p.

The problem with getting presents that require batteries, etc. is that when you get to give them as gifts, if they don't work, then you're stuck (as it's a year since they were purchased).

However, no matter what gifts you choose to give, they all need wrapping!!
  • black-saturn
    • 3rd Jan 06, 5:12 PM
    • 3rd Jan 06, 5:12 PM
    I would love to do that but the problem I have it storing it all for a year. I have hardly any storage space as it is and it was a real relief to get rid of all that xmas stuff from my house. I think I would go mad having it hanging around for almost a year.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 3rd Jan 06, 5:14 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 3rd Jan 06, 5:14 PM
    • 3rd Jan 06, 5:14 PM
    I still have enough cards for next year but I am tempted to grab some wrapping paper and tags.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • savingsgirl
    • 3rd Jan 06, 5:43 PM
    • 3rd Jan 06, 5:43 PM
    I bought an outside reindeer light from next reduced from 20 to 7.
  • servo-15
    • 3rd Jan 06, 6:18 PM
    xmas puddings!!
    • 3rd Jan 06, 6:18 PM
    Waitrose and Tesco's finest are reduced to half price. Since they are soaked in alcohol, the best before date is August 2007!
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 3rd Jan 06, 6:20 PM
    • 7,338 Posts
    • 10,748 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 3rd Jan 06, 6:20 PM
    • 3rd Jan 06, 6:20 PM
    Tesco has lots of bargains! crackers for 64p
    3 rolls luxury wrap with 8 gold/red bows and 2 gold/red rolls curling ribbon in a pack for 72p (only 1 of the rolls is xmas paper the other 2 would be great for birthdays etc and one of them is a lovely gold wrap.) It also has 8 gold gift tags too. A bargain.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 3rd Jan 06, 6:24 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I often hit the sales right at the end, then I can 'mine-sweep' what they have left. I still only buy what I need and like, but if you're not too fussed whether you get anything or not, you can pick up some amazing bargains.

Eg. Boots - their gift packs of make-up, smellies etc are still only 33 or 50% off. Last year I waited and kept an eye on what was happening and picked up 20 pressies for under 5 and gave them to the grannies and aunties from the kids. They went down a storm.

The other thing to consider, is not buying things now, but immediately before Xmas (as long as you either have in what you need or don't mind not having it in case it's sold out) Having put up my 12 yo artificial tree on the 17th, I went to B&Q on 18th to find an amazing tree reduced from 100 to 34, a fibre optic ornament thingy for 8.66 and during the week picked up some well reduced baubles. These things are often gone after Xmas or stores like B&Q put them away.

Also, I picked up a fab free-range bronze turkey on 24/12 for half price so that's in the freezer for Easter. I wasn't going to trust not having my turkey so had ordered one but could have saved a fortune food shopping on Xmas Eve (maybe because it fell on a saturday too?)
    • toozie
    • By toozie 3rd Jan 06, 7:29 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    10 meters of Tesco wrapping paper now 17p.
    • harpo1
    • By harpo1 3rd Jan 06, 7:42 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    harpo1
    sainsbury's star hamper - loads of christmas tuck for 17.50
    Sainsbury's Star hamper - loads of christmas tuck for 17.50. I think this was 34 before Christmas. Its got wine red & white, Xmas pud, cake biscuits & all sorts of fancies. I've bought one to stick in the loft & forget until next December. Seems like a bargain
    • toozie
    • By toozie 3rd Jan 06, 7:48 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    Sainsbury's Star hamper - loads of christmas tuck for 17.50. I think this was 34 before Christmas. Its got wine red & white, Xmas pud, cake biscuits & all sorts of fancies. I've bought one to stick in the loft & forget until next December. Seems like a bargain
    by harpo1
    Are the sell buy dates on the food good for next Xmas??
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 3rd Jan 06, 9:26 PM
    • 8,905 Posts
    • 16,199 Thanks
    calleyw
    I know people say they don't have the space but I use to live in a one bedroom flat with little room. And I had a pine framed bed and some storage boxes so I could put things under the bed. As I buy for birthdays and christmas all year round.

I would say wrapping paper and cards. Also if there any classic board games like scrabble or cluedo in the sales pick those up as people always love them.

I am not keen on keeping smellies etc for long periods of time. Boxed sets can always be taken out of the box and re-wrapped so it does not look to much like a christmas gift set.

And as has been said if you can hold out places like boots to re-reduce again you will get some bargains. Last year I got No7 makeup brushes for 4 rather than 16 and also bought the No7 make up orgainser for 4 instead of 20 and it had a full size lipstick in it which costs 8 so already got my money back and the some.

Also if you like Christmas pudding a lot of them have dates until the middle of 2007. So buy now to eat through the year or even keep to next christmas.

Make present box is looking rather empty now. Needs to re-stock LOL!!!!!!!!

Yours

Calley
  • frisbee
    I have bought a new christmas tree for 5 and lights 3.24 from argos for next year, and christmas cards and wrap from asda and tesco at a fraction of the original cost.
    • cattie
    • By cattie 3rd Jan 06, 9:38 PM
    • 7,803 Posts
    • 5,321 Thanks
    cattie
    posted by calley: <<Also if you like Christmas pudding a lot of them have dates until the middle of 2007. So buy now to eat through the year or even keep to next christmas.>>

Oh calley I'd love to find a shop with Christmas puddings in stock. I've not had a taste of one this year & keep having such a longing for some nice hot Christmas pud & custard, but it seems everyone has bought them up.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • rubytuesday
    • By rubytuesday 3rd Jan 06, 9:59 PM
    • 21,528 Posts
    • 71,147 Thanks
    rubytuesday
    Tesco still has Christmas Pudding I bought one today and as Calley says theY are dated to March 2007 so I'm gonna buy another one tomorrow for next Christmas.
  • cookiemonster25
    am usualy organised for christmas but this year i've even amazed my self
    bought 200 quids worth of toys for 100 c/o stummpy/yellow santa etc and the argos RO board, 10 half price christmas sets from boots paid for with points accumulated via all the freebies/profit making ideas from the boots grabit board, some more stuff from boots online when there was a glitch with 3 for 2 and half price and some cheapo wrapping paper from tescos......sad i know but we have a big loft!!!!!( which is now full)........only 1 question......what am i going to do the rest of the year with all the bargains posted on here?????
    • dawnylou
    • By dawnylou 3rd Jan 06, 10:41 PM
    • 3,104 Posts
    • 51,444 Thanks
    dawnylou
    So far I have bought 2 Christmas cards from Asda.

Everything was reduced in the aisle with red tickets, in fact almost everything was half price.

Cards should have been 3.47 each - guess how much I got them for??
    Yes 3.47

I assumed everything would have been reduced.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 4th Jan 06, 10:52 AM
    • 8,905 Posts
    • 16,199 Thanks
    calleyw
    posted by calley: <<Also if you like Christmas pudding a lot of them have dates until the middle of 2007. So buy now to eat through the year or even keep to next christmas.>>

Oh calley I'd love to find a shop with Christmas puddings in stock. I've not had a taste of one this year & keep having such a longing for some nice hot Christmas pud & custard, but it seems everyone has bought them up.
    by cattie

Cattie,

Really. I don't like christmas pudding. But looked at one in Aldi yesterday big huge one for 1.49 best before Jun 2007.

Also do you have a local graden centre with a food section as mine does and it had lots of Christmas puddings in end of last week all with dates well in to late 2006 early 2007.

Hope you find one soon.

Yours

Calley
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,293Posts Today

8,192Users online

Martin's Twitter