Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 66
  • SavvyStudent
    [quote=shelovestobuystuff;13246149]Just ordered 2 weeks worth of groceries from tesco,except bread and milk,comes to 63 after discounts.Going to make my own pizza bases and have ordered extra flour to give some more home made stuff a go this time.[quote]

Definitely give pizza bases a go. I've started baking (and it's going really well!) and pizzas are so easy & cheap (and massive when you make them yourself! Careful of the hips lol)! Do you have recipes? L x
  • SavvyStudent
    Pizza!
    Actually, I've been inspired to put the worlds easiest pizza recipe up anyway, so everybody can have a go... They turn out massive and I reckon it costs 1.13!

Gather:
    175g plain flour - 4p
    Packet of fast action dried yeast - 6p
    Tsp salt - free from the cupboard!
    1/2 tsp sugar - free from the cupboard!
    1 tablespoon olive oil - free from the cupboard!
    120ml of medium hot water - free from the tap!

1 can chopped tomatoes - 21p
    1 little onion - 10p
    Some cooked ham / dubious looking mushrooms from the back of the fridge / sliced up onion / can of tuna - whatever you like!
    175g grated mozzarella - 72p (in an emergency, cheddar is fine but mozzarella is more stringy and pizza-like and around the same price)

Method:
    1. Sieve all the dry base stuff into a bowl. Add the oil and water and mix it all through to form a smooth dough - add a bit more flour if it's too sticky. Kneed this for about 10 mins until its all glossy then pop it in a bowl somewhere warm until it doubles in size (about an hour).

2. Meanwhile, make the tomato topping - chop the onion up small, saute it off, then add the can of tomatoes. Simmer this until its all reduced down and thick.

3. Put the oven on to 210 degrees

4. Get the pizza dough back out and kneed it again for about 3 mins, then form it into a thin pizza base shape on a floured baking tray. Make sure to give it thicker edges etc and make it quite thin otherwise it wont really cook through.

5. Put on the tomato topping, then the ham & mushrooms, then the cheese.

6. Bake it in the oven until the cheese is all melty (about 10 mins)

Et voila! The best pizza ever.
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 11th Aug 08, 5:12 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    Turbo5019 - think it was you who was asking about HM Sausage Rolls, when I make mine I make up a packet of Sage & Onion stuffing and add that to the Sausagemeat which bulks it out to make more Sausage Rolls and also makes them taste even nicer.
    Originally posted by scotsaver
    It was me I am going to cook them tonight. Went to cook them last week forgot to freeze the puff pastery and it had gone past used by date and gone moldy so got some more today and will give it ago.

Thanks Mrs M about the tomatoes I never thought about roasting them will give it ago. My tomatoes are still green but my nan has loads.

Congrats Chell get as much help as you can and rest when Mara is asleep.

Well did my shopping at MrT spent 50.25. Went with parents finding it too hard to go on my own with DD2 and I feel like a beach whale. I had 2 5 off 30 and a 50p MOC. I didn't really need any meat or fresh stuff so I stocked up on tinned stuff etc. Now have :-
    7 fabric con
    8 washing liquid
    7 washing up liquid
    5 bleach
    60 toilet rolls
    10 squash
    So I think it will keep me going for a while and I hope for plenty of NSD's
    Better update sig
    GC 7.79/225 per month ~ wk1 7.79/ 50
  • SuziQ
    I went in our Savers today,and bought their last 4 packs of 6 (4+2 free)velvet toilet rolls for £1.36-think that was a really good price,have several packs already but want to stock up like turbo has-I resent paying full price for loo roll but hate the cheap stuff and my kids seem to use that up even faster. After reading up about the value stuff,I bought a pack of the 18p Tortilla chips-really crunchy and fresh tasting,will definately get them again.Does anyone know of a really cheap salsa type sauce (or recipe) to go with as my kids love the nachos thing with melted cheese on them (so do I actually,but my waistline doesn't!)
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 11th Aug 08, 5:49 PM
    • 15,032 Posts
    • 99,335 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hiya
    been lurkning away for a while and since i have been keeping my receipts and scaring myself when i realise I spend 300 a month not the virtuous 200 I convinced myself I had spent! Got loads of good ideas here tho' so am going to try and spend the 200 I think I spend (ahem)

So have written down spends in diary - trying to do the grocery challenge - lol so have outed myself, I know the months 11 days in can I please join - (kept receipts) so can tot it up and add to signature - can you put me down for 200?

This way I have to stick to my guns!!
    Total debt 26/4/18 <1925 we were getting there.
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 7867.38
    minus 112.06 = 7755.32
    Sleeves up folks.
  • huxley
    Hi SuziQ to go with the tortilla chips I normally just roast some veg, carrots, onion, tomatoes, courgette, peppers in fact anything that lurking in the fridge before next shop, drizzle it with a little oil, normally roast it down the bottom of the oven whilst doing the roast on a sunday, whizz it in the blender and add a drop or two of hot sauce to your own taste. I freeze pots of it so there is always some for ds2 when he is on a snack attack!
    • philsmum
    • By philsmum 11th Aug 08, 6:17 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    philsmum
    Sweet & Sour
    Hi everyone,
    Hope you have all had a good day.

AngelNikki Thankyou for the Sweet & Sour recipe. We have just finished eating, it was delicious. DH said it was the best S&S he'd had. Thankyou.
    Brilliant meal to use the Mr Ms. diced chicken.

NSD today.
    Debt free from April 2012
  • savingfortravel
    Hi Everyone!
    NSD! Lunch at my parents and finished the glamorgan sausages tonight with some of our whoopsied veg.
    Angelnikki-Lots of newbies have asked about helpful tips to get them started. Any chance of putting e.g. 10 top tips on the first page with the recipes. I know we'll probably have more than 10 but it may really help when people get started.. what do you think ???????
    Congrats Chell-Enjoy your beautiful new baby girl.
    KAAT-LADY-Glad you found Archie.
    Smiley S-I think you got some good bargains...which will be used but it must be hard if you love the feeling you get when you shop..I had to watch that when I first started, even got it on whoopsie hunts...but the feeling you get when you walk away from things you don't really neednand are in control of your spending is much better, believe me!!
    Teedy23-What holiday vouchers do you spend your Tesco points on?
    Keep up the good work everyone!!!
    SFT
    Last edited by savingfortravel; 11-08-2008 at 6:42 PM.
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
    • Ches
    • By Ches 11th Aug 08, 6:56 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    Ches
    NSD again for me today.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot.
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 11th Aug 08, 7:01 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Top Tips
    My tips would be:
    • Make a list of what you have in your cupboards & freezer
    • Make a mealplan to use what you already have in
    • Write a shopping list based on the meal plan, and only buy what's on the list
    • Read Martin's article on Supermarket Shopping
    • Take the downshift challenge - If you buy branded products try the store's own brand, if you buy own brand try value/smart price/basics instead
    • Use Vouchers & Money Off Codes
    • Dont go shopping when hungry or with OH/kids
    • Prevent food waste and only buy what you know you'll use/freeze before it goes off
    • Compare unit prices
    • Cook from scratch
    • Bake your own cakes/biscuits/snacks
    • S-t-r-e-t-c-h your meat with veg/oats/beans/lentils/...
    • Cook in bulk and then freeze for HM ready meals for lazy/busy days
    • Eat vegetarian meals more often
    • grow your own vegetables/fruit/herbs
    • whoopsie hunts/BOGOFs
    I've put a link to this post at the bottom of the Recipe Index along with the other tips

philsmum glad you liked it, Well done you

Congratulations chell

Nikki x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 28-08-2008 at 3:22 PM. Reason: adding to list
  • savingfortravel
    Hi Nikki
    Brilliant tips!!!!!
    I would also add:
    • grow your own vegetables/fruit/herbs
    • whoopsie hunts/BOGOFs
    Thanks for that. Hope its not too much extra work for you.
    SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
    • nicki
    • By nicki 11th Aug 08, 7:29 PM
    • 7,294 Posts
    • 88,420 Thanks
    nicki
    NSD for me...hoping for a few of them this week but I know I'll have to buy milk & fabric conditioner at some point
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 11th Aug 08, 7:49 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    evening ma dears popped in Mr s today as i got this MOC from a work friend spend over 6 and get 2 off so i needed milk, bread and bananas anyway so im alittle spent over but i dont need a single thing til i get paid (which is hopefully saturday if they dont mess up again) although im not declaring anything til friday hope your all well and CONGRATS TO CHELL xxx
    Still searching .....
    • roxy7699
    • By roxy7699 11th Aug 08, 7:55 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 8,964 Thanks
    roxy7699
    Hi All,
    Havent had a catch up as yet, just popping in to say I think ive spent just under 10 so far. Finally had a sucessful Whoopsie hunt in tescos and got loads of stuff for 6. Hope everyone else is doing well.
    • perrywinkle
    • By perrywinkle 11th Aug 08, 8:05 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    perrywinkle
    Hi all,
    after my 7 NSD in a row had to go shopping today and have updated signature. Will also need to get a few more things over the next couple of days as they weren't in stock. Really loving the custard cookies and the courgette tea bread, so have made some more. Stocked up with a few more packets of seeds from Woolworths - had hoped that they would have been further reduced from 60p a packet - but still a good saving especially on some of the more expensive ones and they are okay until 2010 in most cases. Meal plan in place until the end of the month but will work to get September in place as much as possible.

MRS MC, like your OH, mine wasn't keen on giving me house or garden things as presents but has resigned himself to the fact that those are the type of gifts I like best and I get a lot of enjoyment out of them. My favourite is the greenhouse I got for my birthday 2 years ago which I'd spotted on ebay and had said how much I wanted. He won it, drove to collect it, built it and it's fantastic. It makes me smile every time I go in it and we all reap the benefits in all the tomatoes, cucumbers and many other things which are grown in it.

Chell - congratulations on the birth of your daughter Mara.

Angelnikki - thanks for the sweet and sour recipe - will definitely add it to the meal plan.

Perrywinkle
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 11th Aug 08, 8:58 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi everyone, Got back from my holidays last week. It has taken me this long to catch up on this thread. I didn't want to miss any of the good tips that are passed on. I have updated my signature as I did a Asda shop last week. Won't want much this weekend just fruit & veg. Have friends over for lunch at the weekend so I'm going to make several pitzas with different toppings. Therefore I won't need to buy much already have most of the items.

Hugs to everyone who needs them. Night all.
    MFIT Challenge save 40k
    48828.05/46842.89/-1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
  • Anzac Biscuit
    Hi all,

By gum this thread moves quickly! :P So many great tips though, I get inspired every time I read it Congrats to Chell!

I had a small spend again today - couldn't find any coconut milk yesterday at Mr S (I suspect I was looking in the wrong places) and gave in to chocolate... mmmm....
    Should be a no spend for the rest of the week though - it has to be as I refuse to take any more money out! I have my 8 quid for dancing on Thurs and that's about it. Oh well, there's lots of food in the fridge/freezer and I have a meal plan and am not afraid to use it!

Did a Malaysian curry in SC while at work today - so yummy and it was fab to come home to a hot, cooked meal. All I had to do was cook some rice and spinach.
    Married my best friend Nov 2014
    Food for 2 (1 gluten free) OSWLC2 0/10. GC Jan $460. Feb 451/400. March 451/450. April 161/450.
    • philsmum
    • By philsmum 11th Aug 08, 9:13 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    philsmum
    Congratulations
    Congratulations Chell on the birth of your daughter Mara.
    Debt free from April 2012
    • teedy23
    • By teedy23 11th Aug 08, 10:01 PM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    teedy23
    I was good today and didn't spend anything. Really wanted to go to hairdressers, done it myself, not as good, but good enough for work, saved myself a tenner. Took my sandwiches to work, still had some milk left over in work fridge so didn't resort to tea m/c. Oh no I,ve just remembered I bought a twix and a bounty, I spent a pound. I never eat chocolate, whats going on? I,ll have to update sig now
    Dabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early
    Street finds for 2018 26:49.
  • NannyOgg
    Evening all, just popped in to update my sig... My spend total looks a bit scary, but I did a freezer inventory this weekend We will not be going hungry any time soon!

And the majority of it is HM meals or 'building blocks' - sauces, stock, etc. so I'm actually feeling quite virtuous at the moment ...it won't last tho

Am glad for the rediscovered ready meals though - got a busy few days coming up so at least we've got something convenient for dinner when it's needed - all thanks to ideas from you guys

Haven't caught up with posts yet but will lurk in my lunchbreak tomorrow... I'm about eight pages behind still!

'night all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,882Posts Today

7,460Users online

Martin's Twitter