Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 63
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 10th Aug 08, 6:49 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    SFT and MrsMc - Have you thought about posting a whole new thread about your meal plans etc? I know Black Saturn did it and it caused a lot of controversy, but I think it would be really helpful to all us GC-ers (although I understand it would be more difficult for you MrsMc, as a lot of your meals depend upon your fantastic NAFFI bargains )
    Originally posted by Blairweech
    Yes Black Saturn did and she had some excellent posts. The costs however were rather questionable. Something like feed a family of four for £12 per week.The other problem was that when challenged about this-all went rather silent. I won't judge because as a poster I liked her-but I did rather question a few things.I think we are much more realistic on this board which is why personally I joined GC rather than the other ones I used to take part in. There were too many arguments on some of them. This is a happy realistic board which is very honest-long may it stay that way!
    I don't think angelnikki woud experience any of the problems that blacksaturn did though.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • savingfortravel
    Blairweech-my meal plans depend alot of whoopsie hunts and BOGOFs. I start with what we've got in the cupboards/freezer and then plan...a bit like an amateur version of Mrs Mc (I salute you). We are going on holiday on Wednesday so today's challenge has been to eat/cook up all the fresh veg, cheese, bread we have. Our freezer is just a normal size, underneath the fridge and is completely full of salmon and fruit from our garden at the moment.
    As I've said before OB will eat most things and loves looking at the meal planner on the side of the fridge. I am very proud of what we've achieved, we started in Jan when there was so many whoopsies, then the credit crunch started and now everyone seems to grab them. However I still think of us as beginners when I read how well some of you do it with your families (some quite large) to consider.
    I am very strict with our meal planners because I just want to get to go to Costa Rica...just been reading about it and should see giant leatherback turtles in the Carribean sea, maybe even laying their eggs too..If we carry on this well, the G.challenge/Sealed pot will pay for most of the costs..we are having a simple wedding so even if OB doesn't get a new job for a while we can still fulfill our dreams next year.
    SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • annelouise
    Brilliant and Easy Chicken Fried Rice from leftovers was a great success I almost wish I'd had double of everything and made it for us all

1 cup plain boiled rice cooled
    1 clove garlic finely sliced
    1 blob ginger paste
    2 tbs veg oil
    1 cup diced precooked chicken from rubber chicken
    2 in strip of red pepper
    2 in strip green pepper
    Handful frozen peas
    2 in onion chopped
    2 dashes of soy sauce

Method.

Heat oil in wok / large fry pan till v hot.
    Add garlic and ginger,turn heat down.
    Add peppers - 2 mins.
    Add all other ingredients and stir vigourously for 5 mins till heated through.
    Serve with 2 egg omelette chopped up and plonked on top or stir through if you prefer.

I didn't add salt as my rice was previously salted and soy is salty.

OH loved it,so did I but I only managed to get a smidge of it.

Have put on menu plan for next month as DD9 liked it too.

Any recipes for sweet and sour chicken or pork you lovely lot????

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 10th Aug 08, 7:21 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Sweet & Sour
    Any recipes for sweet and sour chicken or pork you lovely lot????
    Originally posted by annelouise
    Sweet & Sour

diced chicken (can use pork instead)
    onion, roughly chopped
    red pepper, cut into strips
    carrot, sliced (I use (value)tinned cos it cooks quicker)
    1 tbsp caster sugar
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp vinegar
    3 tbsp tomato puree/ketchup
    250ml water/stock
    1 can pineapple in juice
    1 tbsp cornflour

Fry the chicken in batches until browned.
    Add the onion, pepper and carrot and fry until softened.
    Drain the pineapple reserving the juice.
    Add the pineapple juice, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, tom puree/ketchup and water/stock to the pan.
    Stir and simmer for approx 10 mins or until chicken is tender.
    Add the pineapple and then blend the cornflour with a little water and add to the mixture.
    Stir over the heat until sauce thickens and pineapple is warm.
    Serve with noodles/rice.
    Last edited by angelnikki; 24-08-2008 at 9:10 PM. Reason: sp
  • princess leia
    This is a good low cal BBQ/Sweet and Sour tasting dish

Diet Coke chicken
    Chicken diced
    chopped onion
    sliced mushrooms
    1x can diet coke
    couple of splashes of Worcester Sauce
    5 tbsp tom sauce

Lightly brown chicken with the onion and add the mushroom. Add the coke and sauces. Then cook until the sauce goes sticky, keep stirring it so it doesn't stick to the bottom and burn
    Serve with rice/noodles

Thanks for the sweet and sour recipe Angelnikki I wish I had that before I got my BOGOF jars in Mr M
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• annelouise
    Living in a holiday resort / urbanization has it's up side.

My neighbour has just dropped off-

1/2 watermelon
    3/4 cucumber
    2 onions
    Pate
    Cheese
    Cheese slices
    Jam
    Marmalade
    Salad Cream
    Icecream
    Wafers
    Ham
    Salami
    Chorizo
    Seeded 1/2 loaf
    Tomato juice
    Bottle water
    Olives
    Pepper

wowowowow

My list is almost nil now for the next 3 days shop.

DD9 is eating the watermelon and OH is having supper of pate on toast.

Result.......

My opposite neighbours are leaving Tuesday so I may get another food parcel.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • savingfortravel
    annelouise-Wow! Great food present!!
    SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • annelouise
    Thanks for sweet and sour recipes have filed in my recipe book for reference.

annelouise
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Evening all

Well first things first..im soooo excited that its sad
    I was talking with hubby earlier about that gardening thing i had my eye on..i was umming n aahhing as hubby had given in and agreed to buy me a remoska for xmas -he won't normally buy me "housey things" for pressies :confused: ... and i was trying to decide if i wanted the remoska or the garden jobby most -trying to decide which would save most money in the long term... and his answer !!!! -"have the garden thing for your birthday" .... ok my birthday is 22 december.. so i will "have" to have it early -only so i can get the free irrigation system of course ... which means next year all the salady, oriental leaves and some strawberries can go in that..freeing up the other tubs for more veggies ...plus i can use it to start all my seeds off -im allready saving loo roll tubes for all my beans n peas
    Hubby was quite amused as i was singing the virtues of "space saving" hubby wondered where exactly i was going to find room for it ..well we have 1 neighbour with a toddler so i can't put things right up to the fence, and the other side has a puppy who tries to pull things through :rolleyes: so i can stand it next to the fence on the dog side as it won't reach anything
    Ok...excited rambles over

Today was a NSD afterall... the Naffi was still waiting for is flour delivery -so i got my money back again we will probably nip on Tuesday on the way back from golf and see if it is in yet

Savingfortravel... I think we are like you and your OB .... My hubby will eat just about anything but roast parsnips, sweet potato and apricots... so he is very easy to please and like you i stick my head in the freezer/cupboards and work out from there.. I just list 7 meals and then pick as we go along -depending on the weather, what we are doing and what wants using first .
    Im doing rather well on the NAFFI whoopsies at the moment -but the biggest saver for me has been to start eating normal sized portion rather than mega ones and getting the ratios right between meat, carb n veg... at one time we used to eat huge portions of meat at a time :rolleyes: oh and having a liking for a lot of the old recipes we used to have as kids like savoury meat roll, breast of lamb stew etc
    We always seem to prefer the "concoctions" i come up with too rather than "proper recipes" which is great for using up odds n sods from the freezer/fridge

Hi Turbo....
    At the moment im using all sorts of tomatoes -from tiny plum to big bruisers.. I have 30 plants on the go so rather than keep eating them im cutting them into 1/2 1/4s and throwing in a tin with garlic, olive oil, salt n pepper and roasting -you can add any other veggies... courgettes n peppers went into todays.. then im bagging them up as they are. When i was doing them before i would blitz them down..but now im leaving them so i can put them in pasta or casseroles or even on toast mmmmm.. or blitz them down when i defrost them

right i will get off and catch up with everything else..
    have a good night everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 10th Aug 08, 8:13 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Hi everyone,
    just a quick update. Spent 9.38 in netto over the wk end getting some bargains. Got a huge bag of chicken dippers (67 in bag i think) for £2.99. Not v healthy i kno but my little one is at his fussy stage n loves them plus as there just for him they'll last me ages. Have to pop to mr t's tomoro for my wkly shop. So far this month so good! Will up date total spend for month tomoro.
    Have a good day everyone
    Debt 1 £1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 £2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 £2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 £1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
    • Ches
    • By Ches 10th Aug 08, 8:50 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    Ches
    A NSD today for me. Found a jar of mincemeat lurking in the cupboard so I made that into a pie with the addition of a couple of wrinklie apples, peeled cored and chopped. Had enough left to make 12 small mince pies and 12 jam tarts with the leftover pastry. Made beef casserole for tea and I have enough of that left to make a pie with suet crust pastry tomorrow. All a bit stodgy so will have to go back to the salads on Tuesday.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot.
  • tq16
    Hi all,
    back from two weeks in Denmark-had fantastic time, and food was great and so cheap, fish straight from fisherman in morning at beach, fruit and veg from people selling outside their homes:-) didn't come out of GC money though-so this month shouldn't be too difficult to come in budget (famous last words!) I did debate reducing amount this month but have decided to use the extra to bulk but a few bits.
    I had hoped to try and catch up with all posts but you have all been so busy I don't think I will manage-so hi to all newbies, and hugs to all those who need them. :-)
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
    • taffy1969
    • By taffy1969 10th Aug 08, 9:48 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 3,825 Thanks
    taffy1969
    Hi
    Not a NSD today as I expected! We went school clothes shopping, did well but while looking for a tracksuit for dd1 went to MrT's! £22.05 to add to Aug Total, but was for things which will last till end of month, toothpaste, wash stuff for kids and cat food included.
    Still, I am impressed with myself on what I am doing. As I pick it up I think - do I really need it. So not too bad.
    Hope everyone had a good weekend. We should be going camping on Thurs but then we should have been going Thurs just gone by dh was sent offshore after only coming home after 2 weeks on Tues!!! Never mind, it's looking good but I'm not holding my breath. Have a couple of backup days out for the girls if he doesn't come home.
    Nite Nite
    Need to sort my life out!
    • wendywitch
    • By wendywitch 11th Aug 08, 8:27 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 15,029 Thanks
    wendywitch
    Tesco deliveries
    I have a question about Mr. T's deliveries, something I still haven't done yet. Do you actually pay for it when the order is placed or when it's delivered? I ask cos I always have intentions on doing an order but I'd have to pay for it on pay day and by the time that comes I think I might as well go there instead, if you get what I mean:confused:
  • SmileyS
    Reckon I can do this?
    I have left £60 in my bank and transfered the rest into savings and have £17.19 in my purse.
    Out of this I need to pay £20 petrol,£30 holiday club and £10 floating in the bank
    The £17 is for every day use,I have 2 freezer loads of food inc veg and have a bag of potatos,I also have a loaf in the freezer and some barmcakes.I have a top to take back to Asda worth £8 so gonna get fresh milk etc with that.
    The only money I need to spend this week are bus fares to the hospital and back for ds2 and I and £3 for the kids tuck at holiday club.Oh and a couple of £'s for dh's lunch at work.Oh and I need toilet roll and dishwasher tablets ,will go to B+M bargains for them I think.
    Do you reckon I can do it? I'm a bit of a spend a holic if truth be known and impluse buy alot on things I don't really need.I had £85 in my purse (wages got Saturday night) and only have £17 left,spent the rest on stuff I didn't really need (£10 petrol,3 tops for next clearence cos the were a bargain but I have more than enough tops :confused: ,£26 take away,£8 ice creams etc)
    I'm also going to really give this diet a gos,just cut down on the snacks and do it the sensible way,I have done the cambridge diet,slimfast you name it I have done it but I have always put it back on so going to try and do it slowly and surely!
    Finally I am going to start the great 'de-clutter' and get my house into shinning old stylers ways.
    I've been reading this forum for about a week,its become my new god lol and am feeling very inspired and that I can *really* do this
    Any absolute top tips you can give me

Wish me luck

SS (the new money saver )
    Last edited by SmileyS; 11-08-2008 at 8:39 AM. Reason: Because I forgot to add some things on!
    • mumofjusttwo
    • By mumofjusttwo 11th Aug 08, 8:47 AM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 40,789 Thanks
    mumofjusttwo
    you pay for the order when they do the shop for you so will be the day you receive the order
    January Grocery 11/374
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 11th Aug 08, 8:53 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Another NSD for my tally Although I had to throw the end of the cue this morning, I'm not that desperate to replace it...I'm sure we can survive cumber-less for one day
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• newmoneysaver
    I need to add £16.14 to the sig for shopping over the weekend.

I managed to pick up another two packs of chicken from Mr M - whilst passing on my way to Mr A. I stocked up on Hovis bread mixes - I got 10. I made the first one yesterday and it is soooo much better than my breadmaker bread! I think I will have pick up some more.

My freezer is bulging with chicken & burgers atm. I may need to get a little creative to make sure we don't get bored. We have eaten meals from the freezer all weekend. Friday I had past from fz, OH had burger. Sat I had l/o casserole, mash & roasties and hubby had potato pie, again all from fz. Yesterday we had quiche (fr) and JPs.

I don't know what we are going to have for tea tonight. I can't remember what is on the meal plan and I didn't get anything out of the freezer before I left for work this morning. Oops.

It looks like the sun has come out over Manchester - hope everyone has a good day!
  • newmoneysaver
    Oh, I forgot to ask:

Both hubby & I are very fussy eaters - we both like really plain food, not too spicy etc.. quite fussy on veg and things. We both don't like curry - although I must admit it is something I have never really tried. Does anyone have any suggestions for a easy, mild curry recipe tat I could try? I have lots of Mr M chicken to use!!
  • princess leia
    Oh, I forgot to ask:

Both hubby & I are very fussy eaters - we both like really plain food, not too spicy etc.. quite fussy on veg and things. We both don't like curry - although I must admit it is something I have never really tried. Does anyone have any suggestions for a easy, mild curry recipe tat I could try? I have lots of Mr M chicken to use!!
    Originally posted by newmoneysaver
    Try the value tins of curry sauce - about 7p I think they are great, the kids like them too as they are mild and I usually add some sultanas in too
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,720Posts Today

7,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin