Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 58
    • *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 9th Aug 08, 9:28 AM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    Denise glad to hear your hubby has got a new job. Good luck with the interview searching_me - hopefully it'll be new jobs all round!

My company have just withdrawn all our overtime. I can manage without, but the money I was earning in OT was going towards the wedding, so I think I'm now going to have to get a bit more creative with the money saving to make up the difference. Could go back to contracting, which I did a few years ago. The money is good, but I'd have to work away from home all week and I don't really fancy it these days.

Lots of baking planned for this weekend. I have a couple of questions, which I hope someone can help me with:

When I cook the pastry base for a quiche, the sides always shrink down the sides of the tin, so it ends up not being very deep. Is it supposed to do this, or am I cooking it wrong? (whenever I follow a recipe, there's never enough height in the case to hold all of the filling without it spilling over the sides). I wonder if maybe my cooker is a bit too harsh as it's a fan oven?

Also, what can I do with a white cabbage? I've bought one to make some coleslaw later, but there is going to be some left. Can I blanche it and freeze it to use another time? It would go nicely with a Sunday roast but we're not planning one of those for a few weeks.
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
    • teedy23
    • By teedy23 9th Aug 08, 9:29 AM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 5,244 Thanks
    teedy23
    Good luck searchingme and well done Denises O/H.
    I,m hoping for an NSD today, want a nice chilled out day. The chill isnt a problem as it,s dull and dreich here today AGAIN, I feel as if it,s getting back to winter already. Never mind, that means soup making weather. I cant wait till next week, when I,m off for a week of sunshine in Lagos. Spent 1.97 in Asda but will get a pound of that reimbursed, I,m not strong enough to lift that out of the bank and put it to my challenge so I,ll count as spend. Off to update, have a good weekend folks.
    Dabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early
    Street finds for 2018 26:49.
    • ewingoil
    • By ewingoil 9th Aug 08, 9:39 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    ewingoil
    Could I please add me as well for my 1st month, my budget is 180 for 2 adults a 2 year old, 1 year old, and 6 month old baby, plus 2 dogs. I have been going over by about 20 per month, but have 2 dogs and the extra baby to cater for this month, and need to get it on target.

Also some of you mentioned these homemade hobnobs where do I find a recipe for these?

Thanks
    Amy x
    • cookinmummy
    • By cookinmummy 9th Aug 08, 9:45 AM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 73,730 Thanks
    cookinmummy
    Happy Saturday shoppers!

Just quick update - as I went to the shops once this week and spent 10 - good start to the month
  • Cornishpixie
    Big Bird I have similar problem re cabbage. I would just be tempted just to cook it, let it cool, and store in fridge, then do a bubble and squeak, or fry it up with left over potatoes or in a stir fry with left over meat from a roast. If you freeze it I don't think you will use it.
  • ZoeGirl
    i've loads of carrots left over from market and tons of corgette from the allotment,i was thinking of making some savoury muffins as a different way to use them....my question is do i just use a normal muffin recipie and bung the carrot and corgette in where i would normally do the fruit/choc etc or do i have to do something entirely different as they are savoury!!
    Originally posted by LearningToSave.
    Hey I wouldn't just put them in sweet muffins in place of fruit/ choc as you would have added sugar etc, which doesn't sound too good. Try starting with a basic cheese muffin recipe and then adding grated corgettes to that. I've done that before, other things nice to add to a basic cheese muffin are tomoato (plain or sundried), some ham or cooked bacon, some spring onions etc.

Carrot I am not so sure about, could try that grated too, but I never have. :confused: Have had it grated on pizza though, and that is yummy...
    "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without!!"
    Nov NSD: ?/30 Nov Make 10 Day ?/300
    Get Rid Of Debt: ?/2000 !!
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 9th Aug 08, 10:11 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Morning!

First...hello Ewingoil--closet Dallas fan by any chance:rolleyes: My eldest was 3yrs 9mts & 1wk old when my youngest was born so I had three under 4s too for a while...surprising how well you cope tho isn't it? The middle one was two-&-a-half, so for around three years there, I had two in nappies at least some of the time

The hobnob recipe is the Twinks one, on the first page of the thread & just holla when you get stuck----we ALL get stuck at times so no need to be embarrassed

6:90 in Somerfield & 10:46 in Wilkos, that included Fairy WUL 2-4-1:60 & Duracell batteries 2-4-5. Oh yes, & another 3:76 in the Pet Shop for eggs, F&V & a little bag of doggie treats.

If it's not too late, I did have a go at Stuffed Cucumbers once--I :confused: it would equate to Stuffed Marrow but I've not tried that so couldn't say....I'll see if I kept the recipe if anyone is interested......
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• catnap53
    Also, what can I do with a white cabbage? I've bought one to make some coleslaw later, but there is going to be some left. Can I blanche it and freeze it to use another time? It would go nicely with a Sunday roast but we're not planning one of those for a few weeks.
    Originally posted by *BigBird*
    I used this recipe last week.

Chinese style cabbage (from an old M&S book that I rediscovered in the loft recently, I used to use this book a lot)

1lb white or green cabbage thinly sliced
    butter for frying
    juice of half lemon
    salt and pepper
    about 1/4 pint hot chicken stock (I used a bit of a stock cube just to flavour the water)
    2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional, but I wouldn't have bothered anyway)

Melt butter, put in cabbage, lemon juice and salt and pepper, fry with stirring for 2 minutes. Add just enough stock to cover and simmer for 8 minutes, or until cabbage is just tender, do not overcook. Stir in sherry if using, serve immediately.

Even the greenophobics like this one. It goes well with most meals, chicken, pork chops , burgers, sausages etc as a normal veg, or with chinese meals.

Zzzz

• LearningToSave.
    Hey I wouldn't just put them in sweet muffins in place of fruit/ choc as you would have added sugar etc, which doesn't sound too good. Try starting with a basic cheese muffin recipe and then adding grated corgettes to that. I've done that before, other things nice to add to a basic cheese muffin are tomoato (plain or sundried), some ham or cooked bacon, some spring onions etc.

Carrot I am not so sure about, could try that grated too, but I never have. :confused: Have had it grated on pizza though, and that is yummy...
    Originally posted by ZoeGirl

ummmmmm i know im simple but i dont suppose you have a basic cheese muffin recipie do you???? would be eternally grateful
    my husband is the cook in our house and he loves it but i want to be able to do more,snacks for kids,treats for him etc!!! he would love the suggestion with sundried tomatoes one so i'll try that too.

thankyou sooooooooo much btw!!! i thought it didnt sound quiteright to just add to normal ones!
  • catnap53
    Cucumber soup
    From the same M&S book as the cabbage recipe

Iced cucumber soup (said to be refreshing on a summer evening)

butter for frying
    1 small onion finely chopped
    2 cucumbers, peeled, halved, seeded and chopped
    1 tbs flour
    1 pint hot milk
    1/2 pint chicken or veg stock
    salt and white pepper
    1/2 tsp grated nutmeg

to finish
    few drops green food colouring
    1/4 pint single cream
    2tbs freshly chopped mint

melt knob of butter. add onion and cucumber, cover and cook gently 5 min. Stir in flour, cook 2 min with stirring. Remove from heat, gradually stir in hot milk. Pour in stock. Return to heat, bring to boil stirring. Season. Lower heat, half cover and simmer gently for 20 min. Puree, should be consistency of single cream, so add milk if needed. Cool, chill in fridge, adjust seasoning, add colouring, mix well. Serve in chilled bowls, swirl with cream and top with mint.

Might do half recipe, don't see DD and DS entertaining cold soup.

Finally had the fishcakes last night, added a small piece of smoked salmon (only about 2 inches by 2 inches that was luring in the freezer) to the mixture. They were a bit soft so didn't want them to fall apart when frying, so put them on a tray sprayed with 1 cal, sprayed on top as well, and put them in the oven gas 5 for 25 minutes.

Had chips, an old tin of mushy peas and runner beans. Empty plates!

I do not need to go to shops.

Zzzz

• catnap53
    ummmmmm i know im simple but i dont suppose you have a basic cheese muffin recipie do you???? would be eternally grateful
    my husband is the cook in our house and he loves it but i want to be able to do more,snacks for kids,treats for him etc!!! he would love the suggestion with sundried tomatoes one so i'll try that too.

thankyou sooooooooo much btw!!! i thought it didnt sound quiteright to just add to normal ones!
    Originally posted by LearningToSave.
    There is a link recipe for courgette teabread/muffins on page one of this thread if you want to try that one.

• searching_me
    • By searching_me 9th Aug 08, 12:05 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    hello just got back from my interview... went ok not great but ok 2 more hours then im doin now on more pay so hoping i get it she said she'd let me know next week so fingers crossed... although it started raining afterward so my hairs looks like i stuck my fingers in plug socket (was perfectly straight) and my feets are wringled from being soaked but at least it was afterward got a few things but nothing out the GC yay!!! going to my friends later so got to be strong xx
    Still searching .....
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 9th Aug 08, 12:18 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,518 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good afternoon all

just woke up again and thought I would look in and see how you all are doiong ,,I am not going out today as it is hissing down ,,havent seen such rain for a long time,,

may bake today,,and clean around,, but I am worried about the ''old yin'' at the moment as he is not very 'compes mentes' he is very forgetful,, he went into th e kitchen 10 minutes ago so will have to go and see where he is ,,as he does forget where he is sometimes,,the other cat has been laying beside him so maybe he is looking after him a bit

will get off now as I need a cuppa

see you soon

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• scaredy cat
    • By scaredy cat 9th Aug 08, 12:27 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    scaredy cat
    Hi, seem to fall off the end of last month with a busy time and holiday. My july figure was 420 not 300

so this month plan to start a more realistic amount with 2 holidays - one so far this month. I'd like to declare 400 for august please can't believe how many pages into this month we are already. Don't think wil lcatch up but will check out recipes -hmmm twinks

Hope everyone enjoying the school break
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Afternoon all

A NSD for me today -and plenty more planned

I did a tuna pasta salad for lunch -it was sooo nice -and the bonus is that there is enough left for my lunch tomorrow whilst hubby is golfing

I have a loaf of bread rising in its tin -done it once -but it made a bid for freedom -over the edge of the tin and across the worktop so its been knocked back and shoved in again -this time im keeping an eye on it -hubby is doing poached eggs on toast for dinner tonight nomnomnom

I have fetched another 1lb of various tomatoes in, and have just roasted them in the oven with a drop of kalamata olive oil, rock salt and cracked black pepper and 3 cloves sliced garlic mmmmm they just better cool quickly so i can bag em up n freeze them -or i might eat them

After doing a re-check of the freezers yesterday i have started to sort out next months meal plan ... a bit early i know -but if i know what i have in to make meals next month then i can know what Whoopsies to keep and eye out for, for the rest of this month

right i had better get off and check that bread dough ..have a great weekend everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • crazyaboutsaving
    Hello,

Today's meal planning day before heading off to get this weeks groceries. didn't plan so well last week so picked stuff up from M&S on the way home from work....Good food but soooo expensive! Will probably have pasta tonight for dinner, have lots in the cupboard!
    Debt at highest 01/01/2008- $79,385.32
    Debt now 01/03/2009 - $63,194.72
    DFW Nerd Club Member #993
    Feb NSD challenge 9/10 days, Mar NSD 5/10 days
    Mar grocery challenge 221.02/250
  • NW-ANGEL
    just thought id pop in...WOW so many recipe ideas - like someone else said dont reckon i will be able read every post but looked at a few, thanks! those tomatoes sound delicious!!

had a massive shop yesterday just under 100 but i did buy all offers like 3 for 2s and 5 for 3 etc......next week should purely be fresh veg and fruit really nothing else fridge/freezer/toiletries all full!! not much should be needed for a few weeks hopefully!

have 109.75 for two weeks and would love to cut this down as far as poss so next month i can reduce by a little any new ideas appreciated ...know there are already LOADS on here thanks!

kel x
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 9th Aug 08, 3:45 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Angelnikki-please put me down for 350 for August. Thanks
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 9th Aug 08, 3:52 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Slow to get everything added up but eventually managed to sort out all of my receipts last night. Came in £10 under budget for JUly. 5 week month for me this month and I think Ive got to the point where I can't really make any more cutbacks foodwise which I would be happy with. Now looking to cut back on petrol and I plan to change my shopping habits somewhat next month. Going to give Asda credit card a go-Ive just applied for it. Hoping to order every fortninght-free delievery on £100 shop with their credit card. 2p per litre fuel saving also so the weeks in between I can top up my fuel-well-thats the theory of it. I shall try it for a couple of months(I think)and see if it works for me.
    Got my OWL energy monitor-our latest toy! DH is in love with it I think and it has solved some previous arguments as to what DS was using energywise. I knew this would be an asset for my son as he was falsely accused of using a lot more than he does. We can now easily see what guzzles the kwts.
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 09-08-2008 at 3:55 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 9th Aug 08, 4:34 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    first spend of the week, spent over 38 on practically nothing. Still lots of supplies in the freezers. I seems a lot of my money goes on snacks for my son, need to find some HM stuff that he likes or start meking stuff before I go out. I know if I go to wrok and leave him he wont eat real food unless its madeup ready. It's getting me down, I'm cheap to feed, it's him!!
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,409Posts Today

9,095Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Has anyone successfully reclaimed PPI on behalf of a deceased relative. I'm doing a blog on how to do it, and I'd? https://t.co/PHXJXCzvc6

• Follow Martin