Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 55
  • bails
    Thanks a lot mouche, off to check them out now and look forward to hearing about the ice pops.
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016

500/30,000
    1.67%
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 8th Aug 08, 11:44 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    So far I have spent £3.87, on bread and milk. My HM bread was yucky - it rose beautifully and got nice and crusty, but was sooooo yeasty it tasted like beer! Thats the 2nd time that has happened - what am I doing wrong :confused:
    Originally posted by Blairweech
    I use Doves Farm Quick Yeast (99p @ MrT) and it says on the side of the packet to use 1tsp yeast per 500g/1lb bread flour

HM Bread

500g / 1lb bread flour
    1tsp salt
    1tsp sugar
    1tsp quick yeast
    275ml / 1/2 pint hand hot water
    1tbsp oil

Combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
    Mix in the water & oil, and bring together to form a dough.
    Knead well for 5mins or until smooth.
    Shape and place in oiled loaf tins/on baking sheet, cover with a damp tea towel and leave for about an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
    Knock it back, (punch it down & knead for a minute) cover and leave to rise for a further 30mins.
    Bake for between 25-45 mins depending on size at 220C/gas7.

For all who may be interested, Asda are selling Hovis white Bread mixes for 29p, only marginally dearer than doing it from scratch, and it is lovely.
    Originally posted by Le Foot
    So is MrT Hovis White bread mix 29p, Hovis granary bread mix 27p
    Last edited by angelnikki; 08-09-2008 at 3:12 PM.
    • DdraigGoch
    • By DdraigGoch 8th Aug 08, 11:58 AM
    • 715 Posts
    • 3,996 Thanks
    DdraigGoch
    So far I'm on target, even with OH going out and buying more dog food than we use in a month when I'd already bought a big bag full! Ah well, that's next month's dog food bought....

6 NSDs so far this month. It's easier when you leave your purse at home and live 6 miles from the shops anyway, but I do find myself "wanting" to spend money on food ... silly, isn't it?
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!!
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 8th Aug 08, 12:41 PM
    • 4,972 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    I am still at £21 so very proud indeed. Can't see any more spend until Sunday really.

I've started a money saving blog so thought I'd drop a message on here - hoping to upload a new post every day so please do leave comments and let me know what you think so far!

Savings Now:
    http://savingsnow.blogspot.com
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting
    YNAB lover
    • greent
    • By greent 8th Aug 08, 12:57 PM
    • 8,105 Posts
    • 82,326 Thanks
    greent
    I've started a money saving blog so thought I'd drop a message on here - hoping to upload a new post every day so please do leave comments and let me know what you think so far!

Savings Now:
    Originally posted by EagerLearner
    Doh! - I didn't read the title of the blog, just the address, and wondered why you were saving snow!

have bookmarked it with the other blogs I read every couple of days

Gt
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1972.10/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
  • savingfortravel
    EargerLearner-Had a quick look and you've noted some interesting ideas. Thank you. SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 8th Aug 08, 1:14 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    SFT how do you do it? im mind bloggled how you spend so little? xx
    Still searching .....
  • 4Moneysaver
    Good afternoon everyone. I don't know what's going on with this weather, it's supposed to be nice but the clouds are really threatening rain over London. This will be my 2nd NSD; don't they feel good! Hope everyone has a lovely Friday evening.
    It's up to me now and nobody else.
  • savingfortravel
    searching_me
    I've always been careful with money (as is OB) so that helped when doing this challenge.
    Its just me and OB (old boyfriend/b*gger if he's misbehaving). I don't have to worry about children. OB is totally on side because he will benefit too *.
    Am away alot over summer so that food money comes out of holiday savings.
    When I'm at school I have a cooked lunch provided each day.
    I (like others) plan meals around BOGOFs, whoopsies. I calculate my long term spends into my total (according to how much I use per month) and stock non-perishables in garden shed.
    I hardly ever waste food, if someone (i.e. my sister) is chucking it I'll have it..
    We cook now and I eat better but less, portion sizes used to be huge.
    We grow loads of stuff in the garden.
    We always accept dinner invitations but we also invite people over.
    BUT MAINLY ITS MY GOAL-I'M DESPERATE TO GO TO COSTA RICA* NEXT YEAR !
    SFT
    Last edited by savingfortravel; 08-08-2008 at 1:36 PM.
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 8th Aug 08, 1:40 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    the last one seems like the best one to me i think my biggest spend is my DD... me and OH dont tend to eat too much (although i do have a thing for diet coke ) im trying my best lol hope to be as good as you and mrs m one day xxx
    Still searching .....
  • naturally
    £6.57 spent today, out of next week's budget, but I needed a few bits to take me through the weekend. Still on track. Just had the most gorgeous bowl of strawberries, massive punnet from the greengrocers for £1 - a bit of a treat. I spent £5.09 in Mr T's and looked in wonderment at my laden bag full for that - and realised that nearly every item was Tesco Value or on very good offer! The only exception was 85p for a bag of lentils, which I begrudgingly bought because lentils will be cheaper than mince for lots of dishes, and Lidl have stopped selling them. Imagine how annoyed I was when I went to the greengrocer AFTER Mr T, and saw that you could buy two bags that size for £1!
    Last edited by naturally; 08-08-2008 at 1:46 PM.
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 8th Aug 08, 1:51 PM
    • 4,972 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    Doh! - I didn't read the title of the blog, just the address, and wondered why you were saving snow!

Gt
    Originally posted by greent
    That's exactly what MrEL said *after* I had set it up

Still, memorable both ways eh
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting
    YNAB lover
    • madmittens
    • By madmittens 8th Aug 08, 2:02 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    madmittens
    Good afternoon everyone

First spend of this month's budget last night - £19.63 at mrT. More than a quarter of this month's (4 week) budget, but I did buy 240 T bags which should last more than a month, and prawns (value), and 1kg red lentils (cos they didn't have the smaller packs). So not too bad, I suppose.

Have a good weekend!
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain ...
  • annelouise
    NSD for me grocery wise but spent a ton or more on Wii Fit,sun suits,wet suits,summer clothes for next year on sale.dd9 pink shorts rrp 24euro paid 2 euro.

Had a can of fizz whilst out but we had a good brekkie before we went.

Having a night out at Lo Maribu tonight with free entertainment and a couple of drinks but as OH is on hols it comes out of the entertainment budget.I always pop a couple of frozen bottles of water with me for the kids as I feel diddled buying water!!!!

May manage NSD tomorrow if I can persuade OH we don't need a baguette.Ds4 at birthday party in the park by the sea so that will see him fed at lunch.Have card and pressie under bed in secret stash.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 8th Aug 08, 3:20 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,514 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY

Gt
    Originally posted by greent
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerLearner

Savings Now:

I read it as saving snow as well I did wonder about it

It will be an NSD for me today as we are back from our walk in the park and I did no buy anything today at the shop..
    No little adventures either ,,,except we forgor to take hot water with us for a drink so DH took the flask into KFC and asked if they could fil it up and they did so we had a coffee,,

See ya Later

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• newlywed
    • By newlywed 8th Aug 08, 3:26 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,349 Thanks
    newlywed
    Been to MrT to get a chicken for the weekend... usually buy a large chuck but they had two smaller size ones for £6 so I got those. A lady was buying a larger chicken so I pointed out that there were some smaller ones on offer and she said they are chinese :confused: and that she doesn't eat caged birds after seeing it on the telly... and promptly walked off with a large, non-free-range, bog standard chuck :rolleyes:

She did point out to me a minute later that the value gammon/bacon joints were good ones this week though so I followed her example and dug a nice, less fatty looking one out from the back of the shelf

Spent more money than I should have done but still

Anyone ever actually worked out whether two smaller chickens give you more meat that one big bird or less coz of the bones :confused:

Going to do one in the slow cooker (if it fits :rolleyes and if not, do them both in the oven and then freeze off the meat.

DMP support thread (member #32)

• susan946
    • By susan946 8th Aug 08, 3:33 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    susan946
    NSD for me today, thank goodness.

Not having a terribly good day. Firstly it's a bad back day so I am a bit limited as to what I can do...... Hope I can get to see the consultant before too much longer.

Secondly having looked out the ingredients to make yoghurt in the slow cooker the slow cooker has finally given up the ghost. Now I've used it a lot over the 17 years I've had it, so DH says I've nothing to complain about, but I'm still miffed as I really need to replace it asap and that of course will hit the budget!!!!

There seem to be a lot of electric cookers around at the moment. Has anyone any advice as to what to go for and what to avoid?
  • mandy_moo_1
    first chance i've had to get on here today!!

well....dare i admit.....i now have 42 bags of diced chicken breast in the freezer i've been buying Mr M's 50p chicken all week, and i've split each box into 2, so now i need some good ideas what to do with it please!!

i don't like curry, and the only things i can think of to make are chicken sweet&sour, and chicken / egg fried rice. i like Mrs Mc's tortillas, but i can never think what to put in them any ideas for them as well, maybe using the chicken please

i have 6p to last me till Monday now, but my freezers are absolutely chock-a-ful now with various offers i managed to get this week so i hope i don't need anything else before then!

got my new oven being delivered in the morning so i'll have to wait in for that......should really spend the time making some choc chip muffins as DS15 said he's feeling deprived! won't be able to use the new cooker till my landlady gets round to sorting someone to fit it for me anyway, so at least i won't be oven-less!!

• gsysezz
    • By gsysezz 8th Aug 08, 3:59 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 4,251 Thanks
    gsysezz
    Whilst browsing the aisles in the Co-op today I spotted a new washing powder range called Simply Eco-Smart Washing. It was reduced from £2.79 to £1.59 for 30 tabs (recommend 2 per wash but we shall see about that ;-). I bought a couple of pots to see how I got on with it (certainly smells nice). On opening I found a coupon for 50p off the next purchase. Seems I've struck gold on a cheap laundry solution. £1.09 for my next two pots -hurrah.

I know my little island has it's own co-op deals but I was hoping others might find a similar deal in their shops.

www.simplywashing.com shows pictures of the products for easy identification!!

Good Housekeeping have said the Simply Sensitive did best in tests matching Persil non-bio and beating Ecover Non-Bio. They also said it's over a third cheaper than persil or Ariel and almost half the price of Ecover!!

No I don't work for them;-)
    Last edited by gsysezz; 08-08-2008 at 4:21 PM. Reason: Added more information.
    Toxic & Tired - Starting 2010 afresh
  • JayJay14
    Mandy_moo_1 - back in my non mse days I used to love Asda's chicken and broccoli pie ready meals (in the 6 for £4 range, they don't make them any more) I have really missed the taste so last night I took some chicken breast and sauted in butter with a little red onion, I used 2 sml chicken breasts. Then I added some milk,chopped broccoli and seasoning and thickened with cornflour and topped with mash (I cooked off 21/2 kilo of spuds and froze the rest)

Once finished off in he oven it served 3 hungry adults with veg, probably not much more expensive than the ready meals even without Mr M's special offer chicken.

NSD for me so far today but I might have a woopsie hunt at Asda when I pick DD1 up from work tonight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,981Posts Today

7,961Users online

Martin's Twitter