Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 42
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

Wooohooo.. Im back onto my NSDs Day 1...and im determined that i should be able to get to monday without anymore spends .... im determined to spend as little as possible so that i have more left for whoopsie hunting so that next month i can save even more

Hubby has been despatched to play golf and has a competition tomorrow so thats some more hours of uninterupted x stitching planned

I just need to get a loaf of bread on for hubby and thats about it

Dinner tonight is going to be jacket potato and cottage cheese salad ..same as yesterdays lunch -but we both love it..and i want to use the jackets whilst they are at their best -the other meals i had planned will save for another day

Right thats me for today i think
    have a great day everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • smetf
    Morning everyone
    Popped in to update sig from dh's estimated spends whilst I've been away (including Chinese) had a lovely time away and lots of very good food courtesy of Dad!

Need to do some shopping to keep us going till we go away on Sat- Netto and Aldi today I think.

Friend has done big shop for week away so I owe her 70 which I have allowed for- not spent anything on days out yet been finding free things to do instead

Right will catch up on some posts- may be some time!!

Smetf

• OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 5th Aug 08, 7:00 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Morning all,
    Well the mascarpone ice cream is lush, don't know if it's supposed to get
    another mush up but it tastes fine as is, well the small spoonful I just
    had was lovely!

Mascarpone Ice-cream
    • 250g mascarpone
    • 250ml full cream milk
    • 150g caster sugar
    1. I also added 1 tsp the fancy Vanilla essence supercook do (not the ordinary one but the fancy one with seeds in which we had to buy when our COOP had no standard vanilla essence!).
    2. Whisk all together until thick and creamy.
    3. Put into freezer until nearly set.
    4. Repeat 2-4 times until nice texture when frozen.
    (You could use an ice-cream maker instead of all this freeze/whisk palaver!).

NSD today, packing needs done and also maybe some baking for our travels. Am thinking mini quiches, weetabix cake or nana muffins and some twinks or millies. Will make bread for cheese and pickle sarnies tomorrow. Will take some (for journey and for mum), leave some for DH dad who is cat/plant sitting, and freeze any that are left.
    Hope you all have a great MS day.
    x
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 05-08-2008 at 1:52 PM.
  • jackiegibbo
    morning everyone

its a damp morning here so im about to get very wet on my delivery.A nsd for me yesterday and today also i will manage to avoid the shops as ive a pile of washing to get through.Not sure how im going to dry it though

good luck everyone hope you are all well
  • Triggles
    Wow - it's only five days into the month, and we're on page 42! I've been in hospital for 9 days, so last month's GC is a bit up in the air - I haven't had the chance to go over receipts and check to see if we went over as I have no idea what DH bought. So we're avoiding for now, and moving on to August.

Please put me down for 200 for August.

Hopefully a NSD for me today.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!!
  • scattymam1
    Right I'm joining up this month as it's already the 5th and I haven't spent a single penny yet. My target is 40 a week, our budget used to be 70 a week but as prices started rising I started trying to cut it to 50 a week but it would still come out at 70 pounds. Plus on the days when I wasn't watching the budget it would come out at 90. So purse strings tied and debit cards hidden from hubbie. Here I go...
  • WelshWoofer
    Morning!
    Just a quick update of the sig - 2.02 spent in the butchers yesterday on 4 thick sausages for tea for OH and dog tomorrow. (I'm a veggie and Quorn ones do me just fine! And the dog just loves sausages so if OH has 3 doggie has to have one as a treat! - what? he looks at me! )

Last night was stuffed mushrooms and salad - not a resounding success, I don't really know what possessed me as I'm not a real mushroom fan (I like them in things but not on their own) - I ate one but the other went half in the bin and half in the dog!

Never mind, I'm not sure what to do for tea tonight as its weigh in day at fat club and it means that it messes up the evening time-wise. A mad dash home from work, dog walking for about 45mins then a quick change and out to fat club for an hour. Tea falls by the wayside a bit so it'll have to be quick and easy, maybe even beans on toast?

No further spends planned on food until at least the weekend when I'll probably run out of fruit but never say never!

Anyway, off to do some work (at least that's the plan!)
    Have a good day
    R x
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
  • newmoneysaver
    Well, I did manage to get some of the 50p bargains in Mr M - not much left on the shelves TBH. Took OH with me and spent:
    £5.99 on reduced rolls, croissants, 50p burgers, 50p chicken and a few other bits. OH put through another 2 packs of chicken (max 2 each) so another £1.
    Got home and realised we had not oil in - needed to make tea - so back out to other Mr M (we live in the middle of two, both about 1 1/2 miles away!) and got more chicken, burgers and milk. Another £7.36.
    Total = 14.35
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 5th Aug 08, 8:48 AM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good morning all

staying in today to get some baking done,, as I have no curry haha,, have to throw out 5lbs of carrots as they are so tough its awful,, so will get some cheese scones and iced buns baked today,,, maybe some twinks hobnobs

see you soon

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 5th Aug 08, 8:59 AM
    • 4,972 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    Chell this used to happen to me to until I realised that it was not me, it was that the pot was too small and plant suffered. You can re-pot into a bigger pot with more compost and voila healthy plant again. Snip every so often and freeze if not needed
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    Hi OS thanks so much for that tip - our Basil plant on the windowsill has looked better! I think we're retiring him, his stalks are ever so high, with yellowy greeny leaves that don't look that appetising... worth re-potting :confused: ?

Otherwise next wknd hopefully will grab a Basil and a Coriander plant at Sainsburys and re-pot straight away into a nice big pot each with fresh compost

Pasta & pesto with parmesan + green salad tonight - very cheap! x
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! 86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting
    YNAB lover
  • mandy_moo_1
    mornin all

just got back from Mr M's and Farm Foods so will update my sig

got 4 boxes of Mr M's burgers at 50p each, and his chicken chargrills are on offer at 1 a box so i got 5 of those!! DS15 eats 2 at a time so i'll stock up the freezer i think as the offer's on till sept 5th

there were quite a few 1 offers in the freezers as well...can't really remember what, but i think i saw fish, chicken nuggets and maybe pizzas.....good makes ie birds eye but i was making sure i was sticking to my list so i tried not to look at anything else!!

in Farm Foods they've got the Birds Eye Simply Chicken Kievs....2 in a box for 2. its a real chicken breast filled with garlic butter, and covered in breadcrumbs....sound like i should be on tv advertising them so i got a couple of boxes of them as i love 'em!!

looks quite a nice day today, so i'm gonna take the dogs out for a picnic by the river, so they can have a play in the water....DS15 and DD18 are too old to come out for picnics with their mum

right off to catch up on a few posts. hope everyone has a good day xx

• mandy_moo_1
    I've just checed my bank statement for last month and over the whole month I've spent at least 347 in supermarkets ! To make it worse there are quite a few restaurant meals on there and I spent a few days at my mum's so didn't cook/buy food for then etc! What a complete and utter waste of money. I'm really angry with myself. It's an obscene amount of money for just myself, a six year old and a skinny cat!

Def not spending that kind of money this month. I'm setting myself a limit of 120 (school holidays and a very hungry child so it's more than it'll be when she goes back to school!) and I have to stick to it! I've started grocery challanges before but never stuck to it but I've never added up how much money I've wasted before!!

This is the new money saving me!!!!!

Anna x
    Originally posted by annaangeluk
    just catching up on the posts, and wanted to welcome you annaangeluk

your post caught my eye, cos you're being really brave in trying to reduce your grocery money by so much in one go.... i really hope you can do it. you'll get loads of motivation and ideas on here.

if you want some advice.........

make a list of what you've already got in your freezer,stick it on the side, then cross things off as you use them.
    try and meal plan....it really does save you money, cos you can see at a glance what you might need that week to make up a meal to go with stuff from the freezer/cupboards.
    make a shopping list and be strict with yourself...only buy what's on it!
    bake biscuits, cakes etc with your DD so you don't need to buy snacky things

there's always loads of lovely recipe ideas on here, and angelnikki has put links to loads of them on the first page of the challenge

Good ~Luck !!

• Chell
    • By Chell 5th Aug 08, 9:22 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell

got 4 boxes of Mr M's burgers at 50p each, and his chicken chargrills are on offer at 1 a box so i got 5 of those!! DS15 eats 2 at a time so i'll stock up the freezer i think as the offer's on till sept 5th

there were quite a few 1 offers in the freezers as well...can't really remember what, but i think i saw fish, chicken nuggets and maybe pizzas.....good makes ie birds eye but i was making sure i was sticking to my list so i tried not to look at anything else!!
    Originally posted by mandy_moo_1
    Grassingtons veggie burgers and cauliflower cheese burgers were on offer for 1 too.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 5th Aug 08, 9:34 AM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Grassingtons veggie burgers and cauliflower cheese burgers were on offer for 1 too.
    Originally posted by chelltune

these are 2 for a pound at heron if you have one near you

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• mumoffour77
    • By mumoffour77 5th Aug 08, 9:39 AM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 20,457 Thanks
    mumoffour77
    Ok!!!
    NSD yesterday
    had to nip to the butchers today and spent 16.60, on meat oh and a jar of coffee!!! So today is going to be bulk cooking day!!! Bolognes, mince carrot and onion, brown stew and shepards pie!! Cook masses of these, portion them up and freeze them....also yknow the foil cartons that the local chinese use.....I got a load of them last night....for free so i am going to make individual lasanges and freeze them too.....so that when the kids go back to school and come home and say im starving is there anything to eat.....i can point them in the direction of the freezer and they can have a piece of lasange to tie them over until tea time!!.....This happens quite a lot with DS1 who gets home at 3.30pm and is starving all the time
    Im going to be frugal
    Im going to be frugal
    Im going to be frugal
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................
    • nicki
    • By nicki 5th Aug 08, 10:06 AM
    • 7,294 Posts
    • 88,420 Thanks
    nicki
    NSD for me yesterday However DD was desperate for pizza last night (again) so she bought one out of her pocket money - 3. I told her I'd give her half the money back IF she eats anything else I give her this week for her tea to which she has agreed. So I have a feeling I'll be making sweet & sour and other things she's not keen on this week
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 5th Aug 08, 10:10 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Well I thought today would be a NSD but even though I asked OH what we needed just before I left to go shopping at lunch - he waited until 8pm to tell me what we'd run out of :rolleyes:

So have to go back again today Hoping that after this, on Friday I will only have to get a chicken to roast for the weekend - hoping :rolleyes:

DMP support thread (member #32)

• gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 5th Aug 08, 10:55 AM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Was hoping for a NSD but forgot to buy celery so need that. Made a really good start this month, hoping i can keep it up. Still have loads of food in, bought 5kg of rice the other day at makro as it was half the price of supermarket! Will be having lots of rice based dishes i think
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 5th Aug 08, 10:58 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Another NSD for yesterday to go on my total

May I ask for your opinions please folks? I've a set of pre-historic scales that only have divisions for 50g at a time...I'm afraid that I'm an 'old money' gal at heart & these new fangled lengths, weights etc leave me scratching the wooden block that passes for a noggin So......is there a particular brand/type of scale that you would recommend?

I see some peeps have digital gizmos, which will be OK as long as I remember to keep some batteries in, but prefer bog standard cuz there's less for me to mess up
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• sleepy-lady
    Well, I completely messed up my first GC. I'm finding it very difficult to motivate to cook for just myself now that my old dad has gone into a care home. I really mean to try to be organised with my meals but I end up eating popcorn and takeaways. And cans of coke. I would never feed another person rubbish like this, so why do I do it to myself?

Sorry for the moan, will pop out at lunchtime and see if I can buy some get up and go!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

828Posts Today

6,712Users online

Martin's Twitter