Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 40
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Evening all

OrkneyStar... i have 3 tubs of marscapone in the freezer I figured that you can use it to make cheesecakes, and you can buy frozen cheesecakes.... tada..in my mind that means i can freeze marscapone -ok if im being honest -there isn't much i don't freeze

Well after todays super whoopsies.. Hubby offered to fetch us a gyros for dinner tonight to save me cooking.. not on my nelly -you have never seen my bum get off the sofa sooo quick.. in under 20 mins hubby was sat eating chilli n noodles -one of his faves and i was eating thai beef curry with noodles and a naan -curry, chilli and naan all HM portions out of the freezer ... not only was it nicer than a gyros.. but it saved us about 15 and it was quicker than hubby going to the takeaway
    We were chatting today and saying that we really have to get some serious saving done if we are to sell the house we have back in the UK to get something with more garden -and preferably no bl**dy neighbours -well not joined anyway :rolleyes:
    At the moment we have one side with a toddler and she seems to be forever screeching at it.. and now has another on the way -oh joy of joys and the otherside have an adorable puppy -but when they go out the put it in the basement so i howels periodically throughout the day i have no issue with the pup.. its naff owners i have a problem with.. i allready can get it to sit, leave, wait and fetch..and i have known it 2 weeks :confused: -they can do b*gger all with it as they haven't got a clue :confused:
    Enough ranting anyway i have said that i don't care if we have no double glazing/central heating etc if it means we can get a bit more ground and space... which will save in the long run as i can then get the veggie growing onto a whole new level ... I will have all you lovely lot on the OS boards to help me winter proof the house etc -anything for some peace
    So if you see my budget slipping -PLEASE give me a quick kick up the bum

right -now i have vented my spleen i will go away again..have a great -quiet, calm evening everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • fluffysox
    • By fluffysox 4th Aug 08, 5:52 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    fluffysox
    I made the curry this morning,,

then took DH to the doctors where he got a prescription,, so off we toodles to MrT's to get it ..

as it was just after one o'clock we had to wait an hour for the pharmacy to open,, so we had a coffee,, picked up the prescription and headed home,,

on the way home remembered I had not the tax disc for the car so we detoured to get it and then found out we did not have any documents in the car,, so we went home,,

, to find the curry still on the hob with the gas still on,,,the smell of burning was atrocious,,It had tasted nice when we went out but now will have to throw it away,,

After that I took the documents down to the post office only to find out that the dvla had sent the wrong logbook back,,,, so did not get my tax disc,,,

therefore phoned them up and was on the phone for 14minutes,,, luckily I had gone through SAYNOTO0870 so it did not cost me anything to phone,,

they thought they had sent out the right documents so after a while he did my tax over the phone which will take 4-5 working days,,

and he will send me the correct documents out in the post as well

so have had a hectic day...........................and no curry

KAAT
    Originally posted by KAAT_LADY
    One of "those days" then. hope tomorrow is a better one!
    2016 MFW OPd 2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 2000 2013 9700 2012 2848.39 2011 2509.58 2010 11000 2009 112002008 4939
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013
    • fluffysox
    • By fluffysox 4th Aug 08, 5:56 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    fluffysox
    Hi everyone- off on hols tomorrow morning- apparently it's been 38 degrees in Spain today- aargh. Hope you all have a good week.
    2016 MFW OPd 2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 2000 2013 9700 2012 2848.39 2011 2509.58 2010 11000 2009 112002008 4939
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013
    • mumoffour77
    • By mumoffour77 4th Aug 08, 5:58 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 20,457 Thanks
    mumoffour77
    Im sooooo jealous fluffysox!!!
    I hope you have a great time!!
    Im going to be frugal
    Im going to be frugal
    Im going to be frugal
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 4th Aug 08, 6:14 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Haven't made these for a while but think I might do soon
    I suspect you could substitute another dried fruit instead of dates if you don't fancy them/have any in.

Date, Nut and Oat biscuits.
    • 125g butter
    • 100g caster sugar
    • 1 egg, beaten
    • 125g stoned chopped dates
    • 60g chopped walnuts or mixed nuts
    • 125g plain flour
    • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • pinch of salt
    • 90g rolled oats
    • 45g dessicated coconut
    • few drops vanilla essence
    1. Melt butter, add sugar and mix well.
    2. Pour into mixing bowl and add egg.
    3. Stir in dates together with walnuts.
    4. Sift flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt and add to butter mixture, then tipping in any bran left in sieve.
    5. Add oats, coconut and vanilla.
    6. Mix well, mixture is soft but will firm on cooling.
    7. Shape into balls and flatten out (of if still a bit wet), leaving room for spreading.
    8. Cook in pre-heated oven at 180 for 12 mins (until golden).
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 4th Aug 08, 6:18 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Sticky Date Muffins
    • 250g SR flour
    • 1 tsp bicarb of soda
    • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 60g brown sugar
    • 90g butter
    • 125g chopped dates
    • 1 egg- lightly beaten
    • 250ml milk or buttermilk.
    1. Sift flour, bicarb and cinnamon together and set aside.
    2. Place sugar, butter and dates into a saucepan, heat over a low heat stirring constantly until butter melts.
    3. Pour date mixture on to dry ingredients, add egg and milk. Mix until just combined.
    4. Spoon mixture into 6 greased 250ml muffin tins (or 12 ish small ones) and bake in a medium oven (temp not stated but use normal muffin cooking temps of 200)for approx 30 mins until muffins are cooked when tested with a skewer.
  • SAV3R

Quick question has anyone frozen runner beans? if so do you blance them?
    if so how long and do they taste as nice from frozen sorry for all the questions.
    Originally posted by turbo5019

I have been freezing runner beans for years, never blanched them. All I do is peel the edges, to prevent stringiness, then slice thinly and on the diagonal.
    When cooking I bring to the boil for 5-10 mins. I cannot stand shop bought frozen beans but these are delicious and we always have to save some for Xmas lunch. HTH
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 4th Aug 08, 6:30 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi everyone. Sorry I have been out of contact for the last two days as I have had the DDs home for the weekend and today I accompanied DD1 on the bus to London to try out the route to uni for September which took up the whole day. (I know she's nearly 25, but the underground is confusing if you aren't used to it and she did ask me to go with her!) We were very MSE as we took our own sandwiches for lunch and drank water - though we did pop into a coffee shop for a coffee so we could use the loo! Unfortunately, despite the good forecast it rained and we shared our sandwiches under a brolly in Russell Square Gardens!

I have popped in to update my signature but haven't had time to read all the posts I have missed - will try and catch up this evening if I can.

Anyway, as far as the GC is concerned I have had two NSDs so far and should manage to avoid any until Weds or Thursday when I will only need the usual milk and F&V! We are off for a week to enjoy the Brecon Jazz Festival on Friday and although we are self catering I am not counting the food spend then in the challenge as it comes out of the holiday fund. The freezer is full so I am hoping to manage with few top ups till 29th August - so although I have spent more than half of my budget for the month I am optimistic.

I have also started the 1 a day for Christmas fund which is going well, and the Pin Money Savings are looking good this month too.

Hope everyone is feeling good - hugs to those that need them. I'm off to catch up on all that I have missed.

Love Moniker
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 4th Aug 08, 6:34 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Freezing mascarpone (again)
    Thanks MrsM for the reply.
    I am waiting to see if anyone comes up with/I can find a recipe to use the mascarpone in (which I can freeze) and failing this will freeze the tub as it is.
    I would only be using it to cook anyway after defrosting.
    x
    • Alexelisey
    • By Alexelisey 4th Aug 08, 6:47 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    Alexelisey
    Well a NSD for groceries for me yesterday, although I did get a few things in the pound shop they didn't come out of the budget. Today has been one of my larger shops at Mr M and I spent 23.44. There weren't a huge amount of whoopsies but I did get some free range chicken breasts for 2.95 instead of 4.21, they've gone in the freezer. Country Life unsalted butter is 2 for 1.60 at my Mr M.

I admit I was a bit naughty - packaged leeks were over 1 for three and I only wanted one but they were a bit manky-leaved so I chose my leek and just before I got to the checkout I tore off the mankiest tops of the leaves, so naturally it weighed a bit less... I probably only saved a few pence but I wouldn't have used those bits anyway.

Well done on nabbing all that bread flour MrsM!

So I'm currently over what I should have spent, but last month was a bad one for the credit card as DS didn't come up with any money. CC is staying in my purse now, I have cash!

I should now be on NSDs until Friday, unless I need a pint of milk on Wednesday because DS is a guzzle guts. I bought 4 pints today, I bet it doesn't last.
    "...And if it don't feel good, what are you doing it for?" - Robbie Williams - 'Candy'
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 4th Aug 08, 6:48 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    I have been freezing runner beans for years, never blanched them. All I do is peel the edges, to prevent stringiness, then slice thinly and on the diagonal.
    When cooking I bring to the boil for 5-10 mins. I cannot stand shop bought frozen beans but these are delicious and we always have to save some for Xmas lunch. HTH
    Originally posted by SAV3R
    Thank for that mum has given me a big bag and mine are ready to be picked.
    I am planting some more potaotes tomorrow at this rate xmas lunch will only cost me a chicken.

Right tea finally ready DD2 been playing up then early night want to get up early tomorrow to get some baking done I saw a space in freezer so what to fill it with hobnobs and weetabix brownies before DD2 goes to childmindes then I can put my feet up for the morning.
    GC 7.79/225 per month ~ wk1 7.79/ 50
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 4th Aug 08, 6:51 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    Orkney - i like mixing a little incing sugar into the marscapone, getting a round(ish) biscuit and spooning some on top then top with chopped fresh fruit, kind of a quick cheesecake i suppose. have a good holiday btw
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• SueB
    • By SueB 4th Aug 08, 6:55 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    SueB
    I'm so cross!
    I've just had my Asda ordered delivered and instead of it being 66.60 it's 75 odd. Delivery man in a rush as usual, blocked the road and cars now piling up behind. I've signed the little machine only to glance as he was taking it away it said 80.00 (I'm fairly certain of this). Just got off the phone to Asda and they agree it should be 66 but they can't tell me how much I actually paid because the delivery driver hasn't updated his machine. They said they'll call me tomorrow.

If they don't I'll certainly be calling them.

Moral of the story... Check everything!!
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 4th Aug 08, 6:55 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    We are now making our own yoghurt, putting the slow cooker that had been in storage to much better use. I use a 600ml milk/4 tablespoons live yoghurt/2 tablespoons powdered milk recipe. This costs the 0.55p for the starter yoghurt, around 0.30 for the longlife milk and say 5p for the powdered milk = 90p. Makes enough for the original 500g batch, then I use 4 tablespoons of that and start again - this time it costs 0.35 total. Third time, 0.35 again. So 1.5kg yoghurt costs 1.50. I must be saving compared to the supermarket, plus it tastes yummy and has no packaging!
    Originally posted by EagerLearner

That's a great idea - how long do you leave it to 'cook' for? Do you use the low setting? I never thought of trying to do it in the SC before.

Moniker
  • gillaman
    First big shop for August - £67.38, just a few pence under budget of £67.50 for a fortnight. However, about 14 or 15 items were stock and I think I should be able to survive for at least 3 weeks without buying anything other than milk and f&v. NSD yesterday.
    Dec GC 100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - 103.26
    Jan GC 100/64.20/20.91 (14.89 left)
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 4th Aug 08, 7:06 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,864 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Boiling water with some washing powder!!!
    leave it to soak, then scrub it with a brillo pad or scourer!!
    I hope this helps KAAT!!( I take it that it is the curry pot?)
    Originally posted by mumoffour77

Thanks Mumoffour77,,,,,,,, I am just trying that now,,( and it is the curry pot)

Thanks

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 4th Aug 08, 7:09 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hi everyone. Sorry I have been out of contact for the last two days as I have had the DDs home for the weekend and today I accompanied DD1 on the bus to London to try out the route to uni for September which took up the whole day. (I know she's nearly 25, but the underground is confusing if you aren't used to it and she did ask me to go with her!) We were very MSE as we took our own sandwiches for lunch and drank water - though we did pop into a coffee shop for a coffee so we could use the loo! Unfortunately, despite the good forecast it rained and we shared our sandwiches under a brolly in Russell Square Gardens!

I have popped in to update my signature but haven't had time to read all the posts I have missed - will try and catch up this evening if I can.

Anyway, as far as the GC is concerned I have had two NSDs so far and should manage to avoid any until Weds or Thursday when I will only need the usual milk and F&V! We are off for a week to enjoy the Brecon Jazz Festival on Friday and although we are self catering I am not counting the food spend then in the challenge as it comes out of the holiday fund. The freezer is full so I am hoping to manage with few top ups till 29th August - so although I have spent more than half of my budget for the month I am optimistic.

I have also started the 1 a day for Christmas fund which is going well, and the Pin Money Savings are looking good this month too.

Hope everyone is feeling good - hugs to those that need them. I'm off to catch up on all that I have missed.

Love Moniker
    Originally posted by Moniker
    Adventurous day then ? The underground used to terrify me- all those lines going all over the place. I once managed to travel round the line at Heathrow about 3 times before I managed to work out where to get off . Ah those were the days when I had an exciting city jet set life lol
    May I ask, what is 'Pin Money'? I have seen it on a few sigs now :rolleyes:
    thanks
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 4th Aug 08, 7:16 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,864 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Afternoon all

Well my NAFFI whoopsie hunt went rather well Got:-
    1. 2 X 1.5 kilo potatoes
    2. 4 blocks double gloucester
    3. 9 bags bread flour -got 2 -went through check out and it came through at half price -74c -so i grabbed a basket and ran round and emptied the shelf
    4. 80 tetley teabags with 100% free -so 160
    5. 2 bags sweet potatoes
    6. 4 tubs longley cottage cheese
    7. some sliced roast beef
    8. 6 litres whole milk
    9. 2 kilo nectarines
    right im off to x stitch again
    Have a great afternoon all
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER

hi there..MrsMcawber,

,, there must be a run on double Gloucester as I got 9 blocks at Netto last week
    for 29p each

See ya later

KAAT xx
    Last edited by KAAT_LADY; 04-08-2008 at 7:18 PM.
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 4th Aug 08, 7:33 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Thanks MrsM for the reply.
    I am waiting to see if anyone comes up with/I can find a recipe to use the mascarpone in (which I can freeze) and failing this will freeze the tub as it is.
    I would only be using it to cook anyway after defrosting.
    x
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    Just to say I have now found a recipe for Mascarpone ice cream, using just mascarpone, sugar and milk. First whisk done and its in the freezer now. Will post on how it tastes, and recipe if its nice. A very indulgent treat !
    Am watching with interest making yoghurt in SC- I may have to try this when we return from hols. Fruit puree that I make for DS could be used as a sauce a la fruit corners! I just need live yog and a SC that goes on low (as well as the milk and milk powder)- is this right ?
    x
    • sandy2
    • By sandy2 4th Aug 08, 7:36 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    sandy2
    Can you freeze mascarpone ? If not has anyone got any recipes with mascarpone in (ideally that you can freeze ?)
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    Yes you can freeze it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,793Posts Today

7,356Users online

Martin's Twitter