Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • By 16011996 1st Dec 04, 6:47 PM
    • 8,140Posts
    • 3,704Thanks
    Puff Pastry
    • 1st Dec 04, 6:47 PM
    Puff Pastry 1st Dec 04 at 6:47 PM
    mine keeps going flat, any tips?
Page 1
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 1st Dec 04, 7:38 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 1st Dec 04, 7:38 PM
    Re: Puff Pastry
    • 1st Dec 04, 7:38 PM
    Keep it cold, roll in lots of layers, be gentle with it ... can't think what else. I think you're supposed to let it rest between rollings (or is that only flaky ???, can't remember) but I just chill itbefore baking.

Maybe your oven? That's what I'd blame if it was me ;D
  • halloweenqueen
    • 1st Dec 04, 7:46 PM
    • 1st Dec 04, 7:46 PM
    I usually get it at morrisons when its bogof - pop it in the freezer and then after six months I use cheapy sausages to make sausage rolls - with fresh sage in them!
    • MATH
    • By MATH 1st Dec 04, 8:40 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    • 1st Dec 04, 8:40 PM
    • 1st Dec 04, 8:40 PM
    Havn't got the patience for proper puff pastry so make ruff-puff instead or even worse buy it ready made (Hangs head in shame as fellow Ol'Styler heckle and demand he leave the board for being a tardy sludgebump) :-[
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 1st Dec 04, 9:00 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 1st Dec 04, 9:00 PM
    • 1st Dec 04, 9:00 PM
    Have never been called a tardy sludgebump - but I do sometimes use fozen puff pastry. Obviously only on sludgebump days. ;D ;D
    • By 16011996 2nd Dec 04, 8:53 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 2nd Dec 04, 8:53 AM
    • 2nd Dec 04, 8:53 AM
    aww, math, your not perfect after all.
    • soba
    • By soba 6th Oct 05, 9:27 PM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    soba
    • 6th Oct 05, 9:27 PM
    I want to make puff pastry. Am I mad?
    • 6th Oct 05, 9:27 PM
    We've decided to avoid hydrogenated veg fat wherever possible. I need some puff pastry for a delish recipe I've got. All the ready made pastry contains the stuff we're trying to avoid, so the only alternative is to make it myself?
    Only trouble is I've got vivid memories of trying to make it in home economics at school - not good.
    Anyone got any ideas?

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 6th Oct 05, 9:36 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 6th Oct 05, 9:36 PM
    • 6th Oct 05, 9:36 PM
    We've decided to avoid hydrogenated veg fat wherever possible. I need some puff pastry for a delish recipe I've got. All the ready made pastry contains the stuff we're trying to avoid, so the only alternative is to make it myself?
    Only trouble is I've got vivid memories of trying to make it in home economics at school - not good.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    by soba
    Well, yes, you probably are mad

If you check out the pastry recipes in the bero site (link below) from the menu on the right hand side of the first page, there's a straight forward recipe and technique for rough puff pastry that's well nigh bullet proof. Well worth trying, honest

http://www.be-ro.co.uk/f_insp.htm
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 6th Oct 05, 9:40 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 6th Oct 05, 9:40 PM
    • 6th Oct 05, 9:40 PM
    It really is quite easy to make, so don't be too scared! I actually find it easier to make than shortcrust pastry as there's no rubbing involved, just stir the fat into the flour and add water to for a dough. The rolling out takes a little more time as you have to fold it over and roll out a few times, but it's well worth doing by hand!

The Bero book has pictures to show you if the instructions sound at all confusing
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 6th Oct 05, 9:43 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Heh! Way ahead of you there C_Q 'cos the site has all the pictures too
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Lotta Littlies
    There's a recipe here http://thefoody.com/baking/puffpastry.html though don't know if it'll be any good - not tried it myself.

Let us know how you get on!

Lotta
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 6th Oct 05, 9:59 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Heh! Way ahead of you there C_Q 'cos the site has all the pictures too
    by squeaky

Yeah I'm on a bit of a go slow and your reply hadn't appeared when I started mine
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 6th Oct 05, 10:18 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    LOL Good to see you back again though

• Gingham Ribbon
    If you want to make a cheat's version, here's what Delia recommends:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/quick-and-easy-flaky-pastry,1109,RC.html
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • soba
    • By soba 7th Oct 05, 8:50 AM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    soba
    There's a recipe here http://thefoody.com/baking/puffpastry.html though don't know if it'll be any good - not tried it myself.

Lotta
    by Lotta Littlies
    Lotta Littlies that's how I remeber making it at school. It was a nightmare! Butter all over the place!
    Thanks for taking the time to reply but I think I'll try the Bero way first!

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 7th Oct 05, 8:55 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Lotta Littlies that's how I remeber making it at school. It was a nightmare! Butter all over the place!
    Thanks for taking the time to reply but I think I'll try the Bero way first!
    by soba

If you like the site you can get it all in a single booklet for just 1.50 from another of their pages. Down towards the bottom...

http://www.be-ro.co.uk/f_about.htm

• paul_h
    • By paul_h 7th Oct 05, 9:00 AM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    paul_h
    I can also confirm that the be-ro method works a treat!

I think I only did proper puff pastry once, what a pain... the ruff puff pastry is just as good in my opinion, and dead easy!
    • soba
    • By soba 7th Oct 05, 9:09 AM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    soba

If you like the site you can get it all in a single booklet for just 1.50 from another of their pages. Down towards the bottom...

http://www.be-ro.co.uk/f_about.htm
    by squeaky
    Squeaky, thanks for that. Spotted someone on ebay selling the same thing for 3.27 + 1.00 postage!!! And still 2 days to go. Will get the Bero book I think, really am trying to cut down on cookery book buying, but I can see that this is an essential item, so I don't feel so guilty about getting it!

• Hunnymonster
    • By Hunnymonster 7th Oct 05, 10:53 AM
    • 745 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Hunnymonster
    Many supermarkets sell this booklet for around a pound in the aisle next to the flour (at least thats where I see it in my local Co-op (1.05) & Morrisons (99p))
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 7th Oct 05, 11:12 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Thanks HM, I hadn't thought about that. My local co-ops and Asda don't carry it so it seldom occurs to me to mention that you can sometimes buy it off the shelf.

Note to self: Remember!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,228Posts Today

8,833Users online

Martin's Twitter