Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 22
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 31st Jul 08, 2:56 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    Not written down, I make it like apple pie substituting blueberries for apples but use a bit of arrowroot (cornflour if you don't have arrowroot) to thicken the blueberries as the pie filling can be a bit sloshy otherwise (blueberries give off loads of juice), I always add a little cinnamon to mine as well yum, yum, yum! I've found a basic Blueberry Pie recipe online, but when I was just looking I found a recipe for Blueberry Crumble Cake it sounds yummy, so when I get some whoopsied blueberries next time I'll give it a try
    Originally posted by Herbaholic
    Sounds good,if neither arrowroot or cornflour,try sprinkling base ,before putting fruit in, with a bit of semolina(a la Delia)
    Made 20 lbs 3 fruit marmalade!!,using it as a trade off for all the yummy HG
    veg we keep getting given ,(potatoes,broadbeans,rhubarb,lettuce,cabbage,beet root)
    Trying like mad to avoid baking,apart from bread,as only lost 2 lbs in July

Too many lovely recipes tho'
    x
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
    • mumoffour77
    • By mumoffour77 31st Jul 08, 2:57 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 20,457 Thanks
    mumoffour77
    Thanks chelletune
    Im going to be frugal
    Im going to be frugal
    Im going to be frugal
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................
    • findingmyfeet
    • By findingmyfeet 31st Jul 08, 3:09 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    findingmyfeet
    hi suziq- that happened to me a few years ago. they said they would spread payments over 24 months then cocked up and made me pay in 6 months. not with them anymore. isnt edf doing a capped thingy, worth ringing and asking even if they say no.
    sealed pot member no :435 2011- 306.68 2012-304.36 2013- 387.44 2014 - 441.43 482.30
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 31st Jul 08, 3:31 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    can I declare at 202.49 please. I know I am over but I am really pleased to get so close as I had set a target that reduced my monthly spend and this was my first attempt. can I have

200 for August please.

By rights I should walk this one as ex OH has now moved out and it's just myself and DS 14(part time). Want to leave it as it is for August and see how we go. Doing the inventory of the freezers was the best and most useful thing, going to add the food cupboard contents to the list this month and stick the lot on the fridge. Hopefully that will mean the 3 bags of bulgar wheat will get used up .

Thanks for everyone's helpful posts and good luck!
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • savingfortravel
    mandy_moo_1-I'm 36 actually...sorry to crush you're illusion!!!
    OB is 40!! but we're both like a couple of students when it comes to our travelling.

finding my feet-loved your wise message!!

SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 31st Jul 08, 3:48 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    mandy_moo_1-I'm 36 actually...sorry to crush you're illusion!!!
    Originally posted by savingfortravel
    Lol at least people think youre younger than you are instead of thinking youre older

I had someone knock on my door yesterday who asked if she could speak to my mum or dad I said I am the mum in this house! but I think she thought I was 15 or something. She said oh you must be a very young mum then. I'm 26!! :rolleyes:

I've got some jam/preserve recipes I can post if anyones interested?

Nikki x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 31-07-2008 at 3:57 PM. Reason: sp
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 31st Jul 08, 4:21 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Have you had the urge to clean the oven yet Maybe he's coming early

When I got to 38 weeks and told my midwife that I didnt want to be induced and wanted to wait till DS was ready to come out, all the docs at JPH kept offering me c-sec :rolleyes: Maybe you should tell them youre gonna x your legs that way they'll let you have one? I ended up having one anyway after being 21 days over and being in labour for 30hrs!

Not long to go now. Let me know if you need any help with anything. My DS is 22months so he's close to your DDs age. Good luck.

Nikki xx
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    LOL I had to go to Aberdeen, where they tried to induce me!
    Hmmmm nothing happened (told them in no uncertain terms no more after 3 attempts!) so ended up with 'elective' c-section at +15 days!
    Sorry for going off topic....back on now!
    My bounty slices look yum, just to melt and coat in choccie after tea Will take their photo and post later just to make you all drooooooollllll.........
    Just had a lovely crafting afternoon at my friends , DH looked after DS and I managed a NSD (just need to update sig). Think might 'let' DH go fishing tomorrow afternoon by means of fair exchange for him babysitting (he's off just now).
    x
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 31-07-2008 at 4:26 PM.
    • wannabe sybil
    • By wannabe sybil 31st Jul 08, 4:26 PM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    wannabe sybil
    Hello everyone.

Is it too late to join? I would like to try a grocery challenge for 400. Last month I spent much more than that!!! But I want to try and use up all the items in our cupboards - there are rather a lot!

I am sure that the old hands will see that I have me, my darling husband, my son who is 18 months and my evil cat to feed and be shocked I am spending so much, but I hope to bring it down over a few months.

I have just had a Sainsburys order delivered, which the driver had been allowed fifteen minutes instead of the usual six for a 'drop' But the nappies for my little bear were working out at less than 6p each and even at Makro they are nearer to 10p each, so I bought two months worth Then there was the cat food for my evil cat, also cheaper than Makro because of the offer. My evil cat is very VERY focussed on food and quite elderly. She is even more evil if we try and tamper with quality or frequency of her food supplies.

So if it is alright to join, I will update my signature when I can find the receipt (and hide it from my dear husband).

( I am also looking forward to trying out the lovely recipes on the first page - my mouth is now watering!)
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 31st Jul 08, 4:30 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Lol at least people think youre younger than you are instead of thinking youre older

I had someone knock on my door yesterday who asked if she could speak to my mum or dad I said I am the mum in this house! but I think she thought I was 15 or something. She said oh you must be a very young mum then. I'm 26!! :rolleyes:

Nikki x
    Yes please DH loves jam and I have yet to try making any!
    • enlli
    • By enlli 31st Jul 08, 4:42 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    enlli
    Hello

Can I join please? I'd like to set myself a challenge of 135 grocery shop for August!

Thanks,
    Enlli :rolleyes2
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 31st Jul 08, 4:58 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Preserves
    These recipes make enough for a normal 450g/1lb jar. To sterilise your jars just run them through the dishwasher on the hottest setting or wash them in hot soapy water, rinse thoroughly and dry in a cool oven gas1-2/140-150C. Add the preserve while the jar is still hot and seal it beneath a disc of baking parchment to shield it from the lid.

One Orange Marmalade

1 seville orange (think you might be able to use just ordinary ones but not sure, someone else might know better than me)
    500g granulated sugar

Halve the orange and remove & reserve the pips. Then quarter the orange and slice it finely. Pour 500ml water into a pan, add the orange slices and throw in the pips. Bring to the boil & simmer for 30mins. Fish out the pips with a spoon and throw them away. Add the sugar and return the pan to the heat to boil fairly rapidly for about 30mins, or until it reaches setting point.

To test for setting point, chill a saucer in the freezer for 10mins. Take it out and spoon a little of the marmalade onto the saucer. Return it to the freezer for 2mins. If its gone wrinkly and slightly jelly-like, you're there. If not continue cooking and test again.

This marmalade is really orangey and pretty sweet. You can make it sharper by adding the juice of half a lemon to the water or you can give it a kick with a grating of ginger before you start to cook it.

Gooseberry Jam

450g gooseberries
    450g granulated sugar
    juice of 1 lemon

Pour 200ml water into a pan and add the gooseberries, sugar and lemon juice. Boil rapidly for about 10mins and then simmer for a further 20mins. Test for setting point (see above).

You can use this method with any sort of fruit.

Lemon Curd

50g unsalted butter, melted
    2 large eggs
    100g caster sugar
    grated zest and juice of 2or3 unwaxed lemons

Beat the eggs and caster sugar in a bowl until pale and smooth, add the lemon zest and juice to the egg mix and whisk again. Now whisk in the melted butter.

Suspend the bowl over a saucepan filled two-thirds full with water then bring to the boil. Cook the curd stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it thickens considerably. This can take up to 20mins.

The way to tell if it has got to setting point is to watch for the spoon starting to leave a trail as you stir. The trail will be faint and disappears quickly but its unmistakable. chill the curd in a sterilised jar and leave for a couple of hours minimum before eating.
    You could substitite the lemon for orange to make orange curd using the same method.
    Last edited by angelnikki; 02-08-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: sp
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 31st Jul 08, 5:00 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,514 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY

Nikki x

Oh yes please Nikki,, DH loves his HM jams and marmalade

Thanks
    KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• halia
    Put me down - I'm going for a 'shop from the store cupbaord month' so after the big tesco delivery last night I hopefully will only need fresh stuff. So I'm going for 150 for the month.

So far: 65 tesco delivery
    10 in tesco - mainly reduced item stuff which went into freezer.

left 75
    DEBT: 500 credit card 800 Bank overdraft
    14 Weekly food budget

• bails
    Oh, congratulations SFT! You deserve every happiness and I'm sure your wedding will be just perfect the way you want it xxx
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016

500/30,000
    1.67%
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 31st Jul 08, 5:57 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/2719601443_0cf1c404fd.jpg
    Here are the Bounty slices, they are still a bit sticky but yummy. Am keeping in fridge o/night so they may harden a little more. The chocolate is half dark and half milk tesco value cooking chocolate . Was good MSE and melted the chocolate in a bowl over the steam from the tatties.
    Just also prepared the steak and onion pie mixture to cook o/night in SC- thinking about 12 hours @ low...does this sound ok ? Will then cool during the day and just pop a pastry lid on to cook for 1/2hr in the oven later in the day. This will do two days hopefully.
    Thanks for the recipes nikki, may try the lemon curd if I can get some unwaxed lemons next shop.
    Am hoping another NSD tomorrow and have some cards to make and also some knitting to do, plus washing :confused: .
  • Diane_239
    Well i have done really well went to tesco with my £5 off voucher plus 2 £10 tesco vouchers i received today from doing on line surveys.total spend was £30 .84p so i only had to pay £5.84,well pleased has only £5.84 out of the budget.got loads of whoopsies.
    am going to have a go at making the jam recipe tomorrow never done this before so will be a challenge.must try the Bounty recipe to.back to my NSD from tomorrow.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge.[200/200]
    Aug Grocery Challenge 200
    • mama67
    • By mama67 31st Jul 08, 6:35 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    the link's on the recipe index on the first page Cranberry And Chocolate Brownies

Mama67 DS was 9lbs 6oz too. ouch! Sort of glad I had a c-sec And he stayed on the 95th percentile til I stopped BFing. He's really tall now too & weighs 30lbs, everyone always thinks he's about 3 but he's only 22months.
    Both of mine did were on that high percentile; in fact DS1 lost that initial weight they always lose and then put it and more back on before we left hospital at 5 days, he came out with his fist in his mouth; started eating right away and never stopped, he is now a hollow legged teenager.

I need to do this GC just to be able to keep up with both of them; they do do alot of sports which needs feeding and also burns off alot of the food they eat.
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • Jaycee1972
    Hi, please put me down for 150 for the month. I went a bit over I think but still have to total up for July. Will try harder to meet my target this month but don't want to increase it as I will get there. Good luck everyone

Jaycee

Jaycee x

• Bella79
    • By Bella79 31st Jul 08, 6:52 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    Bella79
    Massive shock !
    Just thought id look through my online banking and ive just realised in the past 4 weeks ive spent on food and eating out 435.49 !!!

thats 108.87 a week

Theres only 2 adults and 1 toddler no pets arghhhhhhhhh i thought i was doing well

Mostly spent in asda , tescos , nipping to spar , frankie and bennies , and local pub that sells food
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 31st Jul 08, 6:55 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Oh Owens,

Sorry to hear you got such a shock. With prices rising as they are I'm finding that I need to keep a close watch on what I'm spending on groceries.

I'll add your post into the Grocery Challenge which has just started for August where the regulars there will give you lots of support and give you ideas on how to get your grocery bill down.

Pink
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,761Posts Today

8,186Users online

Martin's Twitter