Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Idiophreak
    • By Idiophreak 30th Jul 08, 1:35 PM
    • 11,636 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Idiophreak
    • 30th Jul 08, 1:35 PM
    • 30th Jul 08, 1:35 PM
    Keep your chin up Martin, we all have off days - at least you're out there doing your thing and trying to make a difference - something myself and the rest of the community here are extremely thankful for.
    Last edited by Idiophreak; 30-07-2008 at 1:48 PM.
  • Gemmzie
    • 30th Jul 08, 2:12 PM
    • 30th Jul 08, 2:12 PM
    I blame Ben
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • westferret
    • 30th Jul 08, 2:21 PM
    • 30th Jul 08, 2:21 PM
    If they made the mistakes-
    1 not giving enough times for a complex subject which depends on individuals circumstances
    2. asking a question you weren't prepared for due to communication issues
    Then they have some blame. You needed to get more sleep to be prepared for it 4 hours isn't heathly.

As long as everyone learns then move on and do better next time.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
    Last edited by westferret; 30-07-2008 at 2:23 PM.
  • JMG4321
    • 30th Jul 08, 2:30 PM
    • 30th Jul 08, 2:30 PM
    My parents are totally disinterested in money saving ideas but grabbed me today and said they'd seen you on the tv and they wanted to cap their gas and electricity.

It's quite an achievement to convert my parents into saving money (I have tried and failed for the last 2 years!) so the message definitely came across on the tv for them...
    • julie222
    • By julie222 30th Jul 08, 3:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    julie222
    • 30th Jul 08, 3:31 PM
    Frustrated?? YOU are a modern day HERO!!!!!
    • 30th Jul 08, 3:31 PM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Click reply to discuss below.
    Originally posted by MSE Lawrence
    Really Martin you should cut yourself some slack, you are, despite public opinion - presently holding you as Moneysaving Guru or even God! - only human! Chill & take 5 to take stock of all the help you are giving people like myself who simply wouldn't have known where to start with all this. Nobody is perfect 100% of the time, & I'm sure all of your 'followers' appreciate the 100% effort you put in for us all. Your passion is inspirational! Ego restored yet???
    Keep up the great work - PLEEEEEZ!!!
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 30th Jul 08, 3:39 PM
    • 13,024 Posts
    • 48,287 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 30th Jul 08, 3:39 PM
    • 30th Jul 08, 3:39 PM
    ^^^^^
    Agree with above

and hey....you looked cute so no prob
  • weegielynz
    • 30th Jul 08, 3:43 PM
    Don't worry, three minutes is nothing!
    • 30th Jul 08, 3:43 PM
    Hi Martin - I caught the end of your spot on GMTV this morning and, having just read your blog entry, I could see the awkwardness of the situation, but that it wasn't your fault, given the complexity of the subject and the limited time you had to deal with it.
    I wanted to say that I think the majority of viewers, including myself, know you and your reputation well enough now that they will still have confidence in you and feel empowered to act as soon as possible to cap their tariffs.

I remember you enthusiastically harping on about this topic months ago, and I was determined to do something about it then, but didn't get properly off my backside until I saw you on GMTV yesterday, talking about EDF raising their prices. I finally switched to a capped tariff this morning, after you "told us so", that Scottish Power had withdrawn their offer. (I've also just this minute discovered from your site that British Gas are replacing their offer - the updates are much appreciated). I know it'll cost me more initially, but I'm glad I've done it, as I know it'll pay off in the long run, thanks to you. I'm now looking into the rest of my finances...

Keep on pushing the message out there - we are listening...it just takes a while for us lazy goits to take action! So don't feel disheartened by this morning's 3-minute mini-flop. You are human, after all - although you are a "fiscal X-Man" to most of us out there!

Harp on, dude...
    • brownbabygirl
    • By brownbabygirl 30th Jul 08, 3:49 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    brownbabygirl
    • 30th Jul 08, 3:49 PM
    • 30th Jul 08, 3:49 PM
    I caught the end of it as well. Please don't beat yourself up about it! Thanks!

ps. you did look CUTE
  • JOSEPHLEESMITH
    Hi Martin,

I missed your session on GMTV this morning. I would just like to let all know about a problem I've had with EDF. I received my quartely bill and to my horror it was £600!! I rang EDF and was told that it was correct???
    I received my 2nd Quarter bill and another £400!!!
    I rang EDF and asked to speak to a manager... I was told that they would investigate.....
    3 months later.. I was told that I had been set up on an imperial meter instead of a metric meter!!!
    One for all to check if you feel your bills are too high!!
    I got £600 refund- I moved to Southern Electric yesterday.
    Beware!!!

Martin - Thanks for all your advice

Regards,

Joe Calvert-Smith
    Last edited by JOSEPHLEESMITH; 30-07-2008 at 3:56 PM.
    • rheme
    • By rheme 30th Jul 08, 3:54 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 3,518 Thanks
    rheme
    Don't beat yourself up about it. The fact that you were on t.v. telling people to cap their energy supplies with a passion hopefully encouraged many to do it at the last minute and avoid today's price rises.

I switched and fixed not only my gas and electricity about six weeks ago but encouraged my staff and friends to do so as well (many of whom hadn't heard your warnings). On top of that got my parents to switch and fix theirs and to pay by direct debit (absolutely unheard of for them). They are quite elderly and the hassle of doing things like this puts them off. Now they are so pleased as their gas was with British Gas.

So now we have all got fixed prices to end of 2010 and that is all thanks to you. What you, your team and the members on these forums do is amazing and everyone should be proud of themselves.

If anyone hasn't managed to fix/cap their prices yet do so now before the next round of price increases which is muted to be around the end of the year.

Also put the word about - it is surprising how many people are either not aware of it or for one reason or another either can't or don't know how to do it. Give them a bit of encouragement and a helping hand. The feeling is great.

Once again on behalf of myself and many others - thanks Martin.
    Last edited by rheme; 30-07-2008 at 4:01 PM.
    • hm71
    • By hm71 30th Jul 08, 4:02 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 2,685 Thanks
    hm71
    I wouldn't be too concerned, I often don't watch many articles on GMTV as I find they are increasingly rushed- why bother paying Richard Arnold to be on for 3 minutes, especially when Andrew Castles sticks his oar in for most of it and don't get me started on ben shephard & fiona phillips, ones only employed for the eye candy, the other is married to the boss- have throughly enjoyed the laid back approach of Kate & john Stapleton and would prefer them full time. A complex subject such as energy capping should have more time devoted to it and not stuck between one of the numerous weather or news updates. Don't be hard on yourself Martin, you are only human unlike the plebs who run GMTV!!!
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge 128/270 balance 142
    2 saving club 140
    • jsy44
    • By jsy44 30th Jul 08, 5:43 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jsy44
    We're always our own strongest critic. Take note - we all love you xx
  • walkingmartin0106
    Did I switch in time?
    Took your advice after seeing you on GMTV this morning. Switched via The EnergyShop to British Gas Dual Fuel Price Guarantee 2009 at 10.37am. BG have today announced price increases. Will I have made the switch in time?
    • reb
    • By reb 30th Jul 08, 7:07 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 2,018 Thanks
    reb
    Thankyou for all that you do for us martin, please don't worry too much. I just wish I had caught you more on TV
  • barcelo44
    Having seen you yesterday I made the switch to Scottish Power - hopefully it will go through ok as it says it takes 4-8 weeks ( I do hope that means I was in time? ) Anyway , thanks more making me take action!
    Im sure you are being overly self-critical( didn"t see you today though). Nobodys perfect!
  • JoJoSparky
    I didn't see you this morning - But I'm guessing that you're beating yourself up unnecessarily (see how many more letters/emails/posts that gets - that would be a good measure).
    THANK YOU for Tuesday mornings 'few minutes' of wisdom. I have sat my husband down to CHANGE SUPPLIER and in the 24 hours of me reviewing our options, 50% of those shortlisted had gone!. I'm planning a phone call tomorrow at 8am to get a capped tariff (late start for the office, but worth every penny of it!)
    Thanks again Martin! - keep it up.
  • Scout
    I only caught the very end, but despite me thinking (and having been told by Scottish Power) that I was already on a capped rate, something was niggling me, so I rang them (4th time in as many weeks) and asked. Turns out I wasn't on the capped rate (but am now ) and my DD's which had gone up by 40 pcm the other week, have in fact gone DOWN by 20 pcm.

So, thanks again for making me get off my backside and check.

Scout
  • jen ridd
    far to hard on yourself, i watched yesterday & today. as soon as the item finished today i phoned my provider british gas & got mine capped at 9.30am....just as well as 35% increase at lunch time !thank you very much !!

jen
  • Lyndahayes
    I think it was much better than you think it was. The whole thing looked like you were 'winging it' beautifully and to be honest, I hadn't noticed that you felt squeezed or panicked at all. You are cute tho... Good face for TV!

By the way, I capped during the football finals: My husband was watching the final on a certain Sunday afternoon a couple of months ago when 2 guys rang our bell from Scottish power trying to get us to switch then and there. Boy was my old man cross when I allowed these 'clowns' (his words at the time) into our house during the game. I listened because I wanted to know if they were cheaper and better than my already great (but not capped) deal from Atlantic. They looked over my bill and we compared with calculators and the Scottish Power deal is capped for 3 years! No lie! THREE YEARS! And the rate is only slightly more than I was paying. I had to say yes and my husband nearly killed me and those 2 chaps who were clearly disturbing his footie game.

I switched to capped then and there and when Scottish Power realised what they had done, they pulled the 3 year capped offer within a few days of that fateful Sunday. Now my husband thinks I am the smartest sweetest person on earth!
    I agree!
    Lynda x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

2,454Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin