Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 14
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Cranberry And Chocolate Brownie Recip -low Cal/fat
    Evening folks

Have just posted this recipe on the weight loss thread -so thought it only fair to share it so i have copied it over

Evening all

Now then ladies -avert your eyes if you are of a weak disposition where choccy is concerned , cos im about to post a recipe..but im not taking the blame for anyone making it and eating it all

CRANBERRY AND CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
    makes 12
    140 cals 5.5g fat 1.9g sat fat
    Preheat oven to 180/350/gas 4
    1. 50g plain choc -i used the 70% one with pieces of raspbery in i got earlier
    2. 100g low fat spread
    3. 1/2tsp vanilla extract
    4. 4 tbs cranberry sauce
    5. 2 eggs
    6. 150g caster sugar
    7. 40g SR flour
    8. pinch salt
    • Melt 1+2 in a heavy based pan over a gentle heat, stirring until smooth -remove
    • in a bowl beat 3-6
    • pour in the choc mix, 7+8 an stir until combined -don't over work
    • place in a lined 21cm square tin
    • bake for 15-20 mins
    • a cocktail stick should come out sticky when done
    • allow to cool and cut into 12
    It says that to vary it you can omit the cranberry sauce and add 25g chopped nuts -so i used walnuts and add a bit of fruit -so i added 25g dried cranberries....
    I bet you could also replace the cranberry sauce with apple sauce
    Instead of baking in a tin I spooned it into muffin papers (helps with portion control )and when baked they came about 2/3 of the way up...

Anyway i have tried them and nommy nommy nom nom and im not even that bothered about choc now days -but they are really nice -only had 1 mind the rest are going in the freezer in the morning ooh and i still have the other 75g of the bar of choc i have stuffed it in the baking cupboard for the next lot

Thanks Bails.... im getting there.... whilst still eating lots of yummy good stuff
    I think you should be allright with aubergines.. my mum is growing them in her green house, mine are outdoors but its only recently got really hot -so the 1st one made it through allsorts of weather they are hungry feeders though Im planning on having more than 1 plant next year -now i have tested they grow ok... i think i have about another 12 flowers that should produce fruit -fingers crossed

Right i will get off again
    have a great evening all
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • rubydoiwannabee
    Hello
    I am new to this but would love to join August challenge if not too late.
    Can I be entered for 65 per week please, starting from 1st Aug to 31st.
    This is for two adults, one teenager, one child (5 year old) and includes toiletries, washing powder, cleaning products etc.

Thanks
    The good you do comes back to you.
    DFW Long haul supporters No: 134
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 29th Jul 08, 7:40 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Hi there guys hope everyone is well,,

just popping in to update siggie,,

I am not staying as I am not feeling very well,, have been to drs and he is sending me to hospital,,after that fall I had,, about 2 weeks ago,, I have not really been right , ,, and he says today I have a displaced jaw and really bumped my spine,,I have to go to hospital to see if I have sleep apnoea and am not really looking forward to it,, they will check out jaw and things,

I am feeling really down and have starting crying a lot,, I think its stress

Take care all

KAAT

hope to pop in soon
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• MRSMCAWBER
    Hi KAAT_LADY

Hope they get you sorted and that you feel better soon
    sending you huge hugs
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Mariel
    I've just been to Tescos and got some Finest sirloin steak reduced from 8.98 to 1.35 and a Finest half leg of lamb reduced from 5.98 to 1.98. That should help the food budget and the diet! I also got some bacon reduced from 1.25 to 19p. Not so good for the diet but very yummy!

The lamb is in the slow cooker now but I don't really know what to do with it - any ideas? I don't really like roast dinners, I prefer saucy things. I'm not good with pulses though, my digestive system is delicate at the best of times.

The brownies sound lovely and I'm definitely going to give them a go.
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 29th Jul 08, 7:55 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    Evening ladies and the few gentlemen did abit of shoppin today i forgot how things add up im so used to doing it online but coz i dont need a really big shop and i wanna cut back im buying in shops... and the price ups in the last few weeks are rediculous but mind you dont need to tell you lot you already know im just still so suprised im glad i dont live on benefits anymore or i dont think id manage with the way my DD eats nowadays spent 36 today i still gotta get the dogs food tomorrow but the thats coming from different money so let see how i go eh? hope your all good and well xxx
    Still searching .....
  • smetf
    Hi all
    Had big Mr T shop delivered under 45 to last us till we go away, will need a top up of milk and fruit and some cheap orange juice (mr T was out of stock and no sub bizarrely) so my budget now feels very generous.

I am going to include spends for summer holiday - have taken inspiration from another thread and am going to let the kids choose one outing a week that costs!

Kaat hope you are feeling better soon ((hugs))

Smetf

Smetf

• bails
    Have noticed with DD (18) away at bf there is less washing up/mess/cost/noise.
    bliss and I can get on the computer
    Originally posted by annie123
    Ha ha, I thought teaching was a good contraceptive - this is putting me off even more!

Great news about the aubergines MrsM, I'll definitely give them a go next year

Really sorry to hear you're not well Kaat, hope things get sorted out at the hospital and you feel better soon x
    Last edited by bails; 29-07-2008 at 8:25 PM.
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016

500/30,000
    1.67%
  • savingfortravel
    KAAT_LADY-Sending hugs to you!!! SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
  • cheletastic
    Hi everyone

Can I join in please? Haven't done this for ages & really need to get back into budgeting properly.:rolleyes:

I'm in for 160 for the month. This is for 2 adults for all groceries, toiletries & cleaning products.

I've already spent 17.80 on Sunday but had trouble logging on to system to update until today:confused:

Thank you
    Official DFW Nerd - Member 408 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 29th Jul 08, 8:35 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    HUGS KAAT

been out job hunting today and am seeing more agencies tomorrow, sounds positive so far as today she had about 6 in mind that she was going to contact, fingers crossed for me!!

spent 2.90 in MrS on basics maize snacks, basics tortillas, spring onions, marshmallows and bourbons

also got given a pack of loo rolls and some cream (trying to make butter tomorrow)

more jobhunting tomorrow so i'll be on here in the evening

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• brummiebabe
    • By brummiebabe 29th Jul 08, 8:38 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    brummiebabe
    My August challenge officially starts tomorrow - but did my 1st shop of the new challenge today (but payment won't leave the bank until tomorrow - so I figure that's ok!! )

My challenge is 300 for August - but I'm not including the week of 9th - 15th August as we're away! This is for 2 adults, 3 children (one in nappies) and includes all food, toiletries, cleaning stuff, nappies & contact lens solutions.

So...my first shop was a big one as I'd run out of LOADS of things!! Spent 105.71 (had 2 DSs with me...never a good idea!) but I wasn't too shocked..it was actually less than I thought it would be!!:confused:

Best of luck all!!
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/100
    Christmas Saving 0/1300

Saving Target 2014 25/1000
    • philsmum
    • By philsmum 29th Jul 08, 9:41 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    philsmum
    Hi Denise
    Sorry you are feeling so tired. When you go to the Drs ask him/her to do a full blood test to include thyroid.
    Are you taking any meds at the moment, like statins for cholestrol these can make you tired.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Debt free from April 2012
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 29th Jul 08, 10:01 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Moniker-Would you mind sharing your marmalade recipe? OB has got very excited about making his own. Thanks SFT
    Originally posted by savingfortravel

Basically I buy a tin of Mamade prepared seville oranges - available from most supermarkets and follow the instructions on the tin! It takes 4lb of sugar and 3/4pt water. The best tip I can offer is to use a really big saucepan or if you can get one a proper jam making pan as then you can get a good boil going. I bought mine years ago from Lakeland and it has a non-stick coating which makes it easy to clean. You may be able to get one via Freecycle or at a carboot or something as they are quite expensive - but well worth the investment I think. The Mamade typically costs about 1.25 a tin and I use Fairtrade unrefined granulated sugar at about 1 for a kilo - but you could do it cheaper if you use non-fairtrade sugar. I save and recycle all my jars and although I buy the wax discs I use the original lids. As I have a dishwasher everything is clean enough not to have to sterilise jars etc. The whole batch takes about 30 mins from start to finish.

HTH

Moniker
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 29th Jul 08, 10:04 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Any ideas what I can do with runny jam? I attempted to make strawberry jam a few weeks ago but I couldn't get it to set. It is a bit too runny for using on toast. I made a jam sponge pudding with some a couple of weeks ago but it is too hot to want to eat that sort of thing just now.
    Originally posted by chelltune

You could try reboiling it to try to get it to set. Or add something with more pectin in -I think apples work though I haven't tried it. I think you can buy liquid pectin from a pharmacy or health food shop to add to improve the set, but have never tried this and don't know how much it costs.

HTH

Moniker
    Last edited by Moniker; 29-07-2008 at 10:10 PM.
  • shelovestobuystuff
    WOW,THIS THREAD HAS REALLY SNOWBALLED EVEN IN THE SHORT TIME SINCE I LAST VISITED.WELL DONE EVEYONE!!!
    I have just posted this on July one and then realised that july is almost over so copied my post to here to.
    Keep coming here and doing the challenge even after you think you have it sussed.I was doing great,started off at about £400 a month and got it way down to under £200,even did it for about £120 if I remember rightly the last month I posted here.
    well I thought I could manage without the challenge but I cant.Shopping bills back up to silly amount and hubby doing shopping and not even able to give me a rough idea of the totals.
    I need this place so I have come back with my tail between my legs,my purse empty and my bank balance in a mess again because I have not been watching the pennies so closely as I ought to.I have started to buy things we dont need because I want it or else feel I deserve it,things like wine and boursin.The old bad habits are returning and I thought I had better return here and get myself back on the straight and narrow.
    I wont even hazard a guess at my July spend,I really dont know.I will join the challenge again for August with a £200 budget.
    Last edited by shelovestobuystuff; 29-07-2008 at 10:42 PM.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Does anyone bulk buy non-perishables at trade price to get their grocery and housekeeping bills down?I dont know why I hadn,t thought of it before and another post I read earlier got me thinking that really we dont need to pay shop prices for anything at all,do we?
    Does anyone have a local co-operative perhaps who buys at cost price?I think I feel a new personal mission coming on.The never pay shop prices again challenge .
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • NW-ANGEL
    newbie?!!
    hi wondered if you could add me please - ive been watching our spends for a few months now and wanna put our target at 250 for 1/8 - 31/8... me and hubbie two bunnies and a pond full of koi :rolleyes: lol...
    thanks,
    kel x
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 30th Jul 08, 1:22 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Hi Denise
    Sorry you are feeling so tired. When you go to the Drs ask him/her to do a full blood test to include thyroid.
    Are you taking any meds at the moment, like statins for cholestrol these can make you tired.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Originally posted by philsmum
    Thanks for thinking of me Philsmum.
    The doc has already filled out my blood test sheet and I'm booked in for tomorrow morning, but I might mention it to the nurse when she takes the tests. (not sure if they can though if it's not on the sheet :confused: )
    I only take Asthma medication, so no other meds, just my current lifestyle I think - food intake getting better but stress of new business and job beginning to take it's toll I think (and also this insomnia that I keep getting - still wide awake and I've been up since 5am! )
    Thanks again,
    Denise x
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Can you put me down for £275 as DD is at home and costs a small fortune in extra fruit and nibbles. This will include my diesel too though as usual.

August started on the 21st July for me and is 4 weeks at a time.

Thanks

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

878Posts Today

6,810Users online

Martin's Twitter