Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 144
    • philsmum
    • By philsmum 25th Jul 08, 8:08 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    philsmum
    Oh could just eat a trifle, I make them with jam only swiss roll, sherry, optional, tin of fruit cocktail, nice thick custard and lots of cream.and for the children 100s & 1000s.
    Debt free from April 2012
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 25th Jul 08, 8:14 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    evening all

is there anywhere doing milk 2 for £2 as I have nearly run out

thanks

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 25th Jul 08, 8:17 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    I think Asda are doing 2 cravendale for £2.50....
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 25th Jul 08, 8:18 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    evening all

is there anywhere doing milk 2 for £2 as I have nearly run out

thanks

KAAT
    Originally posted by KAAT_LADY
    MrT is doing Wiseman The One 2 Litre for £1 until the 29th HTH

Nikki x
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Evening all

Diane this is the naan recipe i do and they freeze brilliantly -if they last that long
    Naan bread recipe
    1. 1tsp dried yeast -I used a grapes sized piece of fresh
    2. 1tsp sugar
    3. 1tbs warm water
    4. 200g plain flour
    5. 1/4tsp salt -I used 1tsp as bread with to little salt is nasty
    6. 1/2tsp baking powder
    7. 1tbs oil
    8. 2tbs yogurt -I have used Greek and tzatziki when it needed using up(and the tzatziki ones are yummy)
    9. 2tbs milk - I found i needed a little more
    • mix the 1st 3 ingredients together -if using dried wait 10 mins for it to foam
    • throw everything else into a bowl and add the yeast mix
    • mix to a dough and need for about 5 mins-if you can be bothered
    • cover and leave to rest for about 30 mins.. or until you remember
    • cut into 4 and roll out to an oval shape -not to thin mind..mine were about 1/2cm
    • place on a greased baking sheet and cover -leave for -well till you feel like it
    • whack in an oven for 10-15 mins 140c/275f/gas1 until lightly golden.. don't let them get crispy
    Well i have finally sorted out my meal plan for next month -well this month now for me it starts tomorrow .... and have decided to work out 5 weeks of meals to allow for the extra few days....
    So i have decided to try and stick to €100 this month -(thanks NIKKI) allowing me €20 a week... I have the bulk of the stuff coming out of the freezers/fridges/cupboards..so im looking at fruit, veggies, yeast and perhaps a few other bits n bobs... but i do eat loads of fruit n veg -oohhh those famous last words
    I have €31 in my purse so im going to try and make that last for as long as possible before i go to the bank -fingers crossed .. I got hubby to shove €350 into my savings account and the other €100 into my current account -so hopefully the €350 can stay where it is -unless we have any major calamities:rolleyes:

I have been looking through my mags/books and found some cracking recipes that i want to try out..so i will post any -depending on their success

Right of to bed soon for me... hoping to start my NSDs again tommorrow
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 25th Jul 08, 8:52 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    Busted the budget today, gave into pester power about there being no crispy snacks. Very cross with myself. Came home and the dishwasher was broken. So have infomed DS that its HM snacks from now on.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 25th Jul 08, 9:34 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    I think Asda are doing 2 cravendale for £2.50....
    Originally posted by Blairweech

MrT is doing Wiseman The One 2 Litre for £1 until the 29th HTH

Nikki x

Thanks guys will try tomorrow whe I go to the builders yard as DH is putting down decking outside ... and also a bit at the pond,, so we dont fall in with the fish,, they do like to play

KAAT
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 25th Jul 08, 9:53 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    bedtime now
    so see you in the morning

berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• annie123
    • By annie123 25th Jul 08, 9:59 PM
    • 4,221 Posts
    • 17,241 Thanks
    annie123
    just dropped in to up date signature as my month ends today and just noticed I have been left off the list this month :confused:
    never mind I still did it first time for months
    by time I get the hang of cheaper summer eating it will be autumn again:rolleyes:

Will not be going over budget next even if its beans on toast everyday, as my electricity went up today by 17% ands its got to come from somewhere.

can't cut back on twinks hobnobs though, they would be the last to go

off to catch up on threads now.....need to save more pennies
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 25th Jul 08, 10:05 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    just dropped in to say lucky ol us got a pressie of a melon, grapes and chocolate from mr & mrs daughter today, all gifts are welcome
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 25th Jul 08, 10:06 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    just dropped in to up date signature as my month ends today and just noticed I have been left off the list this month :confused:
    Originally posted by annie123
    Ooops Sorry You're on there now

Well done for coming under

Nikki x
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 25th Jul 08, 10:06 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    by time I get the hang of cheaper summer eating it will be autumn again:rolleyes:

Will not be going over budget next even if its beans on toast everyday, as my electricity went up today by 17% ands its got to come from somewhere.

can't cut back on twinks hobnobs though, they would be the last to go

off to catch up on threads now.....need to save more pennies
    Originally posted by annie123
    Just in case Nikki misses your total, put it in Bold Red to make it stand out more and she should pick it up then, I'm sure it was just a mistake as it must be easy to miss things on here...

Oooh, sorry Nikki, you're too fast for me!
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • annie123
    • By annie123 25th Jul 08, 10:20 PM
    • 4,221 Posts
    • 17,241 Thanks
    annie123
    Thanks nikki, cant believe it doesnt happen more often so many now taking part. You do a great job.
    Did put in red but will make it bigger when the august thread starts so its stands out a bit more.
  • gillaman
    Just updated my signature - £130.69 so far this month.

Lots of people on this thread thinking about you Philsmum, me included.

A much quieter day for me today, and dog quieter too thank goodness. For dinner, made gram flour (chickpea) pancakes with hot tomato salsa - leeks and celery chopped finely, half can tomatoes, clove garlic and had about a tbsp of fruit chutney to use so popped that into the mix. The recipe for the pancakes said to use just the flour and water, with 1/2 tsp bicarb, but I added an egg (for the extra protein) and some chopped frozen spinach. I don't really like spinach but know it's good for vegetarians - can't taste it so much this way.

I also made bread dough using the BM, sliced the whole loaf and froze it in separate food bags. Also made some cheese scones - have had three, the rest must go in the freezer.

I've listed about 12 meals that I can make, largely from what I've got in, but when I did my veggie shop on 23rd I forgot onions so will have to buy those in the next day or so as only have two left. Total that day came to £10.97, not the £12.50 which I estimated. Couldn't find the receipt and I'd bought a couple of things which weren't GC. No cook day on Sunday and Wednesday - this will help the GC budget but not my bank balance. Still, all work and no play...............

Peaceful night all.
    Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
  • mandy_moo_1
    mornin all

just popped in to catch up on all the posts, and update my spends

looking very misty outside, so i think i can safely say today will be an NSD as i won't be going very far, apart from walking the dogs

looking at my totals this month, i'm pretty pleased with myself...mind you, the freezers are full, so that has helped

hope everyone has a good day xx

• catnap53
    Mixed day yesterday, got home at 6.30, started cleaning staight away, even though I really wanted to sit down here with a cup of coffee. Accidentally flicked the switch that all the PC stuff is plugged into and the monitor won't work now. Using DS TV/monitor that he has brought down for me, but it is on the table, so I am working sideways.

Gave in to getting chippy chips to go with chicken, but managed to strech one portion between 3 of them, (with a few left over for me to have a chip buttie as we had been talking about them at work this week)

DD then told me she has a fundraising tea party this afternoon to do with her Baden Powell Award, so will have to start baking soon. It is a long time since I have done this type of thing, only came on here (with breakfast, rice that boiled too far so mixed with milk, sugar, syrup and coconut, and reduced to a thick goo and stored in fridge, mixed some up with half banana, handful of sultanas, and a tablesoon of hm yogurt mmmm) to look for things to make.

Second wash load in, so time to take a break anyway.

Saw the headline about reducing grocery budgets in US too as I logged on.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/CanAFamilyEatOn100AWeek.aspx?page=1

Zzzz

• KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 26th Jul 08, 8:10 AM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good morning all

mad my seedy bread ,,, not mrsmc's recipe as I have no flour for that one but its turned out quite nice ,,
    which is what the weather is at the moment quite nice

see ya later

KAAT
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 26th Jul 08, 8:39 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Hey Peeps....
    £22 summat in MrT on Thursday...really expensive milk it was--came in gold bottles!--& £12:23 in MrS yesterday.

>>>>>>>!! HEADS UP!!<<<<<<<
    Dalepack Grill Steaks are on offer in Sainsbury as two packs of four steaks @ £3:00
    Their own label lamb grill steaks are pack of SIX & £1:49 ea...guess who put back the Dalesteaks & picked up OL for last night's 'burgers'

So no-one was curious enough to investigate that post I mentioned then......shame...cuz it's got links to CHOCOLATE pancakes & yorkshire puddings
    http://www.yorkshirepudding.co.uk/recipes.html
    http://www.hotelchocolat.co.uk/Choco...kes-Apancakes/
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Penny-Pincher!!
    Hi Guys

I came in just under budget this month and that included extra diesel on holiday and a few treats whilst away. My August started 21st July. Trying for £225.00 for the 4 weeks.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 26th Jul 08, 9:11 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    MrT Offers Update
    Utterly Butterly 500g 2 for £1.50 ends 29th July

Lakeland chicken breast fillets 650g half price £3.29 ends 12th Aug

MrT 8 alaskan Salmon fillets half price £5 ends 12th Aug

Del monte pure orange juice half price 54p (cheaper than value) ends 5th Aug

Wiseman The One milk 2 Litre for £1 ends 29th July

Finest sausages 2 for £4 ends 31st Aug

Single cream 150ml 27p ends 7th oct

Lynx shower gel BOGOF ends 12th Aug

Denise Lemon Viennese Whirls Half price 69p

I just used a voucher for £10 OFF £50 spend XXHGBL
    Last edited by angelnikki; 26-07-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter