Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 124
  • Sunny Donny
    Morning all
    Still sunny here - think it is a mirage!!!
    Spent 17.84 in Tesco/Sainsbugs and market yesterday so will only buy milk this week.
    OH decided that since we had trifle yesterday for tea he NEEDED another one from Mr M & S. Persuaded him that we had plenty of fruit for a pudding today and that another trifle would be slightly greedy!! REluctantly he agreed.
    40 items now on ebay - more to photo today and put on either this aft or tomorrow.
    Baby carrots from garden are in steamer for dinner - photo not happening!!!
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

My 2nd NSD in a row ....

for dinner today we have:-
    • roast chicken -have stripped and frozen the rest and the stock is in the fridge
    • cauli/broccoli cheese from friday -other1/3 in freezer
    • steamed new potatoes, carrots, yellow beans and runner beans from the garden
    I have a loaf of white bread rising in the bowl for hubby..he prefers it to the super seedy stuff i make for myself :confused:

I have to say im very lucky with hubby.... he doesn't like going into the "bad places" and as i don't like taking him with me it works rather well If i do need him to drive me to one of the further out supermarkets he generally sits in the car with a soduko book or comes in and goes wandering -ususally around the computer game section:rolleyes:
    When i do shop -i used to add tins of peanuts etc for hubbies treats, but he asked me not to as he only ate them because they were there... he would rather wait until he fancies something and then go and get what he wants -out of his own money so im considering myself verrrrry lucky

He has also asked for the soups that are left in the freezer for his lunches this week.... he loves them and he has said it will free me some room in the freezer ....

Right i will get off and get the dinner done..what bit there is to do
    have a great day everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • gillaman
    Putting on weight!
    Morning everyone

Checked my weight - have put on 5lb so no baking for me. Still this'll save money won't it? Couldn't think what to have for dinner yesterday and wanted to use some of my new potatoes from the garden, but they break up easily. Decided in the end to make up a potato layer bake -

Ingredients for 1 person

2 medium thinly sliced potatoes (used potatoes a bit smaller than jacket size)
    Half an onion thinly sliced
    1/4 leek ditto
    1 clove sliced garlic (hg)
    2 oz Grated cheese
    Herbs
    Seasoning (don't use salt any more than I can help these days so just put pepper in)
    1/4 pt stock (veggie for me)
    1/8 pt milk (running short so used skim milk powder)

Put one layer of everything except stock and milk into a casserole dish
    Repeat layer ending with potatoes
    Top with herbs and dot with butter (but you could use cheese but see weight probs)
    Pour stock and milk over
    Bake for 40-50 mins at 200
    I cooked broccoli and green beans (hg) to go with it.
    Dec GC 100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - 103.26
    Jan GC 100/64.20/20.91 (14.89 left)
  • gillaman
    Quick question - can you edit a message after it's been sent?
    Dec GC 100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - 103.26
    Jan GC 100/64.20/20.91 (14.89 left)
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 20th Jul 08, 11:03 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Quick question - can you edit a message after it's been sent?
    Originally posted by gillaman
    Yes, at the bottom right of a post it will have 'thanks' or 'quote' if someone else has written it, whereas if you have written it it will have 'edit' or 'quote'. Click on edit and you can alter your message/delete your message.
    hth
    • *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 20th Jul 08, 11:27 AM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    Originally posted by KAAT_LADY
    Ahhh, so that's what it was. Got back from seeing Jools Holland (who was excellent btw) just before midnight last night, and as we drove into our town there were strange lights in the sky. 4 amber lights in a row, moving slowly. No idea what they were, OH has been on t'internet this morning looking for reports of UFOs in the area!

As you can see, I wasn't abducted, so obviously wasn't considered good looking and sexy enough. Humph!

Been invited to a BBQ later, so just need to pop to the local shop for lemonade to go in the Pimms as friend asked us to bring some. Was going to go to Mr A for soap to make washing gloop, but seems a waste to make a 12 mile round trip. I know I'd end up "justifying" the drive by buying more stuff, which we don't really need right now. And as I am already over budget, I'm hoping to not spend any more til I get paid on Thursday. Might need to get milk, but hopefully I've got enough of everything else. So gloop will be next weekend's mission

Have emailed the local council this morning to see about putting our names down for an allotment. Our garden is tiny and arranged in tiers so there's no room for me to grow veggies, other than in a few pots. Figure allotments are only going to get more popular with prices rising as they have been, so want to get my name on the waiting list asap. Have no idea what to do with an allotment, so if I get one it's going to be a steep learning curve!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • Jazer
    Hi

I have not done very well at all this week. It has definately been a lesson if you don't keep your eye on the ball it will run away from you.

I have spent 104.34 this week and I haven't really got anything to show for it

Catnap, I had the same problem with OH suggesting a takeaway, only I said yes........... and worse still I didn't enjoy it

Hopefully next week will be better

Jazer
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 20th Jul 08, 11:48 AM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,526 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Ahhh, so that's what it was. Got back from seeing Jools Holland (who was excellent btw) just before midnight last night, and as we drove into our town there were strange lights in the sky. 4 amber lights in a row, moving slowly. No idea what they were, OH has been on t'internet this morning looking for reports of UFOs in the area!

As you can see, I wasn't abducted, so obviously wasn't considered good looking and sexy enough. Humph!

!
    Originally posted by *BigBird*

Hi there BigBird

I dont believe you are not good looking enough or sexy enough,, they were just probably going in the opposite direction

see ya
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 20th Jul 08, 11:51 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Morning all
    Still sunny here - think it is a mirage!!!
    Spent 17.84 in Tesco/Sainsbugs and market yesterday so will only buy milk this week.
    OH decided that since we had trifle yesterday for tea he NEEDED another one from Mr M & S. Persuaded him that we had plenty of fruit for a pudding today and that another trifle would be slightly greedy!! REluctantly he agreed.
    40 items now on ebay - more to photo today and put on either this aft or tomorrow.
    Baby carrots from garden are in steamer for dinner - photo not happening!!!
    Originally posted by Sunny Donny
    If he likes trifle so much why not make your own once a week? I always do-one in the process right now.
    I use a value jelly with a tin of fruit cocktail(add some booze too if you like)
    Some triffle sponges/dry cake/fairy cakes or whatever
    Make a pint of custard
    Some whipped elmlea or cream to top.
    You can make a huge one with the cream for about 1.50 or without it for about 50/60p
    A homemade trifle would give him about 6 servings!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • mandy_moo_1
    hi all

just popped into update my spends :rolleyes: well.....i WAS doing really well this week, but then i went and spent over 18 today!!

mind you the only ''luxury'' was 2 big scented candles-in-jars...2.99 each, but they smell gorgeous! all tropical and summery! got one burning now...i do love me smelly candles

also had to get a front door mat from wilko's but it was only 3.99. somebody (dylan!!) had a little accident on the last one, and i couldn't get the flippin stain out!!

rest of the stuff i got was cheapy mouthwash, toothpaste,bleach. loo rolls and a few whoopsied bits from Mr M's....got some washing powder reduced down to 9p, so that should keep me going for a while

got the HM rolls baking in the oven as we speak, so gonna have bacon sarnies for lunch me-thinks

hope everyone has a good day xx

• *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 20th Jul 08, 12:02 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    Just found a packet of instant custard powder in the cupboard with a best before date of Jan 08 Should I bin it, or would it still be OK to use?
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 20th Jul 08, 12:03 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    I ordered an eco meter last night and some eco balls so Im hoping to save money(stop wasting) on electric and washing.
    Not sure if the eco meters are a gimmick or not but Im giving it a go! Cheapest I could find is ethical superstore.
    Just made a loaf of bread and will do another later for tomorrow. Stripped the chicken and boiled the carcass and Im now making chicken and veg soup for lunch. Not doing a Sunday roast as theres only me and DS home until a lot later.Hence we had the chicken yesterday. Still some over for a curry and some scraps for the cat. The curry will need a bit more so I may well add some minced quorn.
    Still got loads of rice from when I bought it at 49p per kilo-Ive been going easy on this. Still managing to get pasta for 19p also.
    Homemade bread used to be more expensive than shop bought a few years ago but is now cheaper so Im going to try to make it a lot more often.

Bigbird-personally-I would use the custard and wouldn't worry.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • nicki
    • By nicki 20th Jul 08, 12:03 PM
    • 7,287 Posts
    • 88,334 Thanks
    nicki
    Just been to Asda and spent 22.81 BUT that includes stocking up on jelly diamonds (11p each so bought the last 3 tubs ), 4 bags of flour (2 are bread flour as I'll be making packed lunches for day trips), some toiletries for me (which came to 7.52 ) and 6 SP butters @ 50p each - so they've gone in the freezer and should last me next month

I also got 10 cash back on that to pay for bus fares etc so I think I'm going to go with no specific budget the rest of this month and August and just see what I end up spending as its 5 a day for bus fare for me and DD so until September its going to be expensive I will always go for the most economical option though
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 20th Jul 08, 12:16 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Catnap You weren't being ungrateful - (a lot of) men only think of their tummies/ themselves instead of how they can help.

On the days that DS goes to nursery he has his tea there so we eat our dinner later after he's gone to bed (7pm). I've told OH a million times that I dont want/like takeaways but if I havent got our meal ready for when OH comes downstairs then he says "right I'm really hungry I'm gonna get a takeaway" :rolleyes:

I used to say ok to him and we would end up having one/two a week but now I just tell him to shut up and be patient or do it himself. My emergency meal for when he is really demanding dinner right now is pasta with a tin of tomatoes and a tin of hotdogs/tin of tuna as that only takes 10mins which is quicker than going out for a takeaway. I think he feels like he is getting fed quicker if he goes out and gets it cos he's doing something where as if I'm cooking it he is just sitting there getting impatient. Which is stupid cos none of my meals take longer than 20mins anyway. And he never offers to cook for us even though I'm ill.

Can you tell I'm not happy with him at the mo?

But I've lost 8lbs since 3rd June by avoiding takeaways/snacks so Yay Me! (this is a massive amount for someone with ME to lose so I'm really chuffed )

Dinner today is sausage & bean hotpot (posted recipe yesterday) served with rice & petit pois. Cost per portion - 50p (using finest sausages) yummy yummy

Sian you can freeze Twink's Hobnob Dough rolled into a sausage. Then just slice (very carefully) and cook from frozen

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 20-07-2008 at 2:11 PM. Reason: sp
  • toottifrootti
    Hi all,
    trying to get a grip on things before I start my first GC in august - had NSD yest and will be NSD today as I am working on budget and doing the garden.
    I am totally useless at planning meals- totally useless at cooking - basically totally useless in the kitchen I am ashamed to say. was never taught to cook so never really bothered - as I am on my own there is nobody to moan at me!!
    I am going to try to work out some sort of meal planner for august but really dont know where to start - have had a look at the meal planner thread but it didnt help a whole lot because i dont know what meals I can cook! Does that make sense??
    I have spent hours (way too many!) reading posts and have come up with 1 or 2 ideas but any help would great - something very easy and cheap.
    I will be posting on the DFW thread as I have serious debt problems so I am trying to cut back on everything - I have been budgeting for years as I have been unable to work due to ill health and only have benfits coming in so have budgets for everything - I feel my grocery budget is high when i look at what some of you spend to cover families so I am hoping some OS housekeeping will help reduce it.
    I love all the cakes and muffins etc recipes - they make me want to make them but I am way over weight as I have to take steroids every day and I am diabetic!!
    Sorry to bore you all but have nobody here to relate to!!
    TF xx
    Peace will be mine
    could do better - must try harder
    Live each day as if its your last
    DFW Nerd #1000 Proud to be dealing with my debts

• angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 20th Jul 08, 12:27 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    toottifrootti try this thread for ideas on how to organise mealplanning & meal ideas My monthly grocery organisation...

If there's any meals that you want to know how to cook then just ask - I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you the recipe

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 20-07-2008 at 12:35 PM.
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 20th Jul 08, 12:31 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    What are the baked potato pizza and marmlade muffins of which you speak?
    Originally posted by Blairweech
    I can only answer the baked potato pizza as I think I'm the only one who mentioned it. Basically it's baked potato with a pizza topping mashed into it.

Here's the recipe:

Large baking potatoes
    Grated cheese
    Chopped tomatoes
    Spring onions
    Mushrooms (the recipe uses peppers but I hate them - even the smell makes me queasy)
    Toppings of your choice - I used baked beans & courgette.
    Butter

1. Bake the potatoes in the usual way - I cut mine in half, pricked with a fork and covered in foil and then put them in the oven at gas mark 6 for about 45 minutes.
    2. Scoop out as much of the soft potato as you can without tearing the skin.
    3. Put the mash in a bowl with the chopped mushrooms, onion, toppings, a couple of tablespoons of chopped tomatoes, some butter and half the grated cheese. Mix it all together.
    4. Stuff the potato skins with the filling, top up with the rest of the grated cheese and bake in the oven at gas mark 4 (180c) for 20 minutes.

Then voila baked pizza potatoes.
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 20th Jul 08, 12:45 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi everyone
    i`ve been rubbish at keeping up with all the threads that i read the last few weeks My saving grace is that i`ve been OSing like mad and i`m on budget for this month
    I may even try to squeeze another week onto the end of this months challenge and make it 5 weeks instead of 4, i`m so pleased I`ll start a new meal planner and have a look in the freezer tomorrow and see if it`s possible so fingers crossed.

i`ve spent lots of time in the garden lately as my greenhouse is now up and i have a few things in there now, spring onions and radishes which are almost ready and i have 3 lettuce in a tub that i keep chopping leaves off so have the makings of salad there. Our lovely neighbours gave us some tomato plants which are flowering and my little hanging basket of vine tomatoes is just starting to get some tiny flowers on it since i`ve popped it in there out of the nasty weather so i`m hopeful for that too.
    I`ve harvested lots of strawberries from my plants and just used the last of them in my very first attempt at jam and i`ll have another bash at that when the next lot are ripe, i`m looking forward to blackberry season so that i can go gathering and make some more jam for Christmas gifts too.
    My first attempt at wine is bubbling away at the back of the living room too
    I`ve learnt an awful lot from here and i can`t thank eveyone enough, you are all the most wonderful people
    Later when i get another chance to sit down i`ll go back and catch up with some of the pages that i`ve missed.
    Thanks again everyone.
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi tootifrooti and welcome on board

Now..you don't know that you are useless at cooking...you just haven't got your confidence in the kitchen yet ... Im sure once you get going you will be throwing things together like that mad chef from the muppets ...
    If you give us some idea of what things you like, im sure we can come up with some simple recipes to get you started -if you were buying ready meals -what would you choose? im sure between everyone on here we can cover most possibilities ... and if you have freezer space -if you make recipes for 4 then you can freeze 3 servings..so you don't have to cook every day and it won't be long before you have a good supply of HM "ready meals"... if you wanted it means you could even cook 7 recipes in 1 week then you have enough main meals for the following 3 weeks ....hope thats some help
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • annelouise
    sian the green - I like that idea of rolling twink dough,I would think it would make them easier to slice in a uniform size.I will make twice the amount as I often find that easier and chill half to make next day - will let you know.

Had pancakes for breakfast and made an extra 8 and froze them for a quick breakfast.Used 3 eggs and had 16 in total cannot complain at that.Also managed to feed 4 kids and get 1/3 of HM pizza dough in the freezer out of 500g flour pizza dough mix last night - will make garlic balls for starter for the kids next week.

Had Croque Madam for lunch (posh cheese on toast topped with an egg) with chopped up apples and yoghurt.

Roast beef dinner tonight -just need to do the roasties everything else is defrosted even the gravy.

Sausage and meatballs with pasta tomorrow in fridge.

NSD for me today again thats 11 so far this month ,do have to start thinking about shopping before Thursday's mayhem starts so will try and stretch it out till Tuesday before I shop.Infact I have about 87c in my purse and need to travel into town to transfer funds from Halifax UK to Spain to my current account and have a money off coupon for Carrefour of 7 euros but I am passing so will check out shopping list at Lidl and then Carrefour and use voucher for chicken breasts and porridge oats only at Carrefour.

Have made the sweet and sour sauce to go with the pork and red pepper meatballs this morning have 2 large dishes to freeze and a small one I'll use with sausages this week.

Very little freezer space left.Have costed meatballs,sauce and pasta at 98p per portion but that doesn't take into account the extra 2 meals I'll get out of the (15) extra meatballs or the extra sauce.Not bad going.

Have been grooming OH via skype over internet how MSE makes total sense and plan what he eats / buys etc etc so he won't be in for too much of a shock.I think he thinks I'm barmy .....He now buys most expensive quilted loo roll,dustbin liners with ties or handles and f***y washing up liquid......THAT IS SO GONNA CHANGE DARLIN'

We are lucky in that he only pays for tel calls no rent/rates/utilities and hasn't done for a year since I've been here in Spain so that has more than covered the cost of his flights here.

Only have the next 6 weeks living here in Spain so we are busy planning routes back via plane and ferry and what we need to take so am very conscious of not over stocking and eating what we have in.Have donated a full 1 1/2 litre of gin to my neighbours as it's their thing and we were given it as a gift so the decluttering has started and that includes the cupboards too.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,484Posts Today

6,043Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin