Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 121
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 19th Jul 08, 1:34 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    amethystcash
    The way I do mine is I have different budgets for different things purely because I want to know what areas I need to cut back on. Ive allowed my budget for food ony(I now include the cats food too)
    I have a separate budget for presents and for cleaning/houelold stuff so mine looks like this:
    Food
    Petrol
    Medical
    Clothes
    Household
    Toiletries
    Entertainment(meals out,days out but not takeaways)
    D.I.Y
    Gardening.

However, I am soon going to lump a few of these together
    Household+toiletries
    DIY +Gardening

Ive only separated mine because I was spending on average £200 pw and thinking "wheres that gone"?
    I now know how much has gone on what area so one day I may well lump it all together and call it a housekeeping budget.

Im also keeping a spreadsheet for a year and recording these different totals so that next year it will be realistic.

No right way or wrong way. What will work best for you? What do you want to learn from this apart from reducing your spending?

Just been shopping and collected my milk Id left at work and only bought:
    12 FR eggs £1.99 at veg shop
    2 packs of sugar at Iceland £1.50
    6 pints milk reduced at Somerfield £1.56

I was good for once!
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 19-07-2008 at 1:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 19th Jul 08, 1:41 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    Hi there Big Bird,,did you know there was a marmite thread I found it yesterday well its not only marmite its yeast extracts ,, and there is a lot of people on there who do not like marmite,, I would never have guesed that people did not like the stuff,, would you ,, no is the answer to that,, isnt it

Also have you found the recipe for HM soap powder gloop you could always make up a batch if you run out of liqui-tabs
    Originally posted by KAAT_LADY
    Ooo, will have to go in search of the marmite thread. Thanks for letting me know about it, OH and I love the stuff I reckon anyone who says they don't like marmite could be won over by a cheese n marmite twist Denise

Ah, I remember the posts about gloop. Even bought some soda crystals so I could have a go at making some Think I might take a trip to Mr A tomorrow to get some soap so I can make some My washer drawer doesn't hold liquids - will I be able to put gloop in one of those little ball things?

I love this thread - you're all fantastic
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
    • amethystcash
    • By amethystcash 19th Jul 08, 1:44 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 763 Thanks
    amethystcash
    Getting organised!
    Thanks to everyone for the useful advice. I've just created a s/s to record all spending with notes to show what's food and non-food, diesel, gifts, household etc. Once I see how much is spent on the various categories I'll decide what budgets to create each month. Think the diesel one is going to be scariest to watch as it seems to be about 50 every 5 days.

I've worked out that the total budget for for each month (starting 15th of each month) excluding bills which are paid from a different account, is 1,200 (or 300 per week). This is for food, cleaning products, diesel, meals out/takeaways/clothes/gifts.

I'll keep you posted how it goes against budget.
    MFW Challenge (Tgt Date Nov 07): ACHIEVED FEB 07!
    Mthly Savings (Tgt 60% of Inc): Average 41.67% (but we have just paid for a new kitchen!)
    Savings Goal 500k (Target Date 50th B'Day Nov 17): 30.41%
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 19th Jul 08, 2:28 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Ive just got to send you this-for all Marmite lovers! Never accept anything inferior.
    http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://littlebang.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/marmite_colour.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://littlebang.wordpress.com/2007/11/01/you-cant-always-get-what-you-want/&h=709&w=709&sz=236&hl=en&start=15&sig2=q5luPOyi6A 6lbSwi7LPPuQ&tbnid=HS-tmotTq1mRvM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=140&ei=IfmBSIKmNZTu0QT1 9ryPDw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmarmite%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
    On a different note:
    On ocassions when I cant find my washball I just tip the gloop into the drum then add the washing.
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 19-07-2008 at 2:32 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Sian the Green
    Sian - just wanted to check the quantities - how many does this usually serve for you and can you freeze what you don't use? Thanks
    Originally posted by amethystcash
    ooh, I'm terrible at quantities as I'm normally just cooking for myself; I tend to chuck everything together and then decide at the end of the cooking how much I am going to save. I think it would be enough for 2 as a full meal, or 3 or 4 if you served it with crusty bread as it has a lot of yummy sauce and some salad if you wanted to be extra healthy. I tend to do it in a big bowl for each person. I think I would freeze it like I would a casserole or thick soup, I use margarine tubs for everything

Let me know what you think!
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • Sian the Green
    I just read Nikki's post, I must be a total pig
    When I have eaten it I have had it as a ful meal in itself as it contains your protein, carbs and some veg content. I think if you were economising you could add some lentils, some more veg into it, even some potatoes maybe. I really like it just by itself though, mmm....
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 19th Jul 08, 2:57 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    I just read Nikki's post, I must be a total pig
    When I have eaten it I have had it as a ful meal in itself as it contains your protein, carbs and some veg content. I think if you were economising you could add some lentils, some more veg into it, even some potatoes maybe. I really like it just by itself though, mmm....
    Originally posted by Sian the Green
    I do agree with you that its yummy by itself but I always do
    200g sausages, grilled then cut into 4
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tin beans (i use baked beans most of the time but sometimes use cannellini /kidney /pinto beans)
    Tom puree/ worcestershire sauce/ tomato sauce
    herbs/ spices to taste

All cooked together on the hob, served with mash/rice and a green veg. This makes enough for the three of us plus an extra portion for lunch the next day. It is very similar to your recipe (just half the size) For me, your recipe would serve 4 if I were just serving it on its own/with bread. or 8 with mash or rice like I said before.

I do think it could be a meal on its own if some green veg was added (like peas maybe) but 600g meat plus 800g beans shared between two people is a lot to me. You would be eating over 1KG each inc toms, etc.

I'm not saying you're wrong for doing this though Sian just saying I stretch it further. So it just depends on the individual how many it would serve.

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 19-07-2008 at 3:03 PM.
  • Sian the Green
    That does explain why my trousers are getting tighter...
    • poppyoscar
    • By poppyoscar 19th Jul 08, 3:26 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 7,957 Thanks
    poppyoscar
    July budget blown - mainly due to people coming and not saying how long they're staying, so I've had to buy stuff 'in case'.......grrrrrrrr!

Was trying to run stuff down as I'm going away on Thursday for a fortnight.

PO xx
    2010 MFW Challenge No. 112 Mortgage paid in full 27/08/10 I was MF!!!
    But now I'm not - (Joint) Mortgage 104704.
    New MFW target 5000 overpayments by 31/12/2105 400/5000 = 8%
    SAVINGS TARGET - 25000 by 31/12/2015 13643/25000 = 55%
    No 17 Lewis Lane
  • annelouise
    HM pizza dough proving nicely whilst kids watch dvd.

Have salami and pepperoni to top them with.

NSD today,have friend for sleepover so after pizza and yoghurts we'll have popcorn later before bed.I'm going to hide out on the balcony with a good thriller.

Beef and yorkies for tomorrow lunch,cheese toasted sandwiches for lunch.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 19th Jul 08, 3:50 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,863 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Hi there Big Bird this is the Marmite thread,

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=370767

just having a look myself

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1040691&highlight=YEAST+EXTRACT

and this one
    Last edited by KAAT_LADY; 19-07-2008 at 3:53 PM.
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• annelouise
    Good luck

What about HM pizza's ???? recipe on page 1 grocery challenge.I have some in the oven now with salami and pepperoni on top.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 19th Jul 08, 4:14 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Hi Everyone,

I have set us a budget of 100 for the next 3 weeks. This is for 3 of us, but hoping to get nearer 70. We are then off on holiday to France in our motorhome.

The freezer is rammed, the storecupboard is full so I do NOT need to go shopping, except for bread, milk, fruit and veg.
    Originally posted by gilly1964
    Hello, I'm going to add this to this month's Grocery Challenge.

Good luck and enjoy your holiday

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 19th Jul 08, 4:14 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,863 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Afternoon All just thought you would like to know about this

have you heard about he petition to stop this weedkiller,AMINOPYRALID,, that does not kill grass , that seems to be going in one end of cattle and horses and still coming out of the other end and the manure is then used by allotments and people with gardens,, and is killing some vegetables ,, but then the ones you eat have it in ,, MAFF says you can eat it but would you want to , you try to be organic and this is what you get

this is what it does
    http://www.allotment.org.uk/manure2.htm

see what people on here think
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1016869

and this is the petition

You can sign up here:
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Aminopyralid/
    just thought we could help by signing the petition,, what do you think

how can we be growing our own , and stay Old Style,, if we are going to be eating this rubbish
    Last edited by KAAT_LADY; 19-07-2008 at 4:19 PM.
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• twink
    • By twink 19th Jul 08, 4:32 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    someone was asking for a recipe for Wonderbites and i knew i had one
    its from a scottish teapot trail book printed 1994

75g marg
    175g icing sugar
    2tsp coffee granules
    diss in 2 dessertspoons hot water
    150g coconut
    50g walnuts chop
    50g cherries chop
    chocolate for coating

cream marg and sugar till light and fluffy then add rest of ingredients, shape i small balls put in fridge to harden then coat in the melted chocolate, makes about 20
  • Sian the Green
    Twink, I just tried your hobnobs. Everyone has been raving about them so I thought I would give them a go. Oh. My. Goodness
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 19th Jul 08, 5:26 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Well thats officially another NSD grocery wise (although treated myself to a 12 hole muffin tin and a new juicer from my treats money). Made angelnikki's lemon chicken- mmmmm, although also just spotted the other recipe too, its the one with basil etc from Waitrose (cannot remember who posted it but thanks, will try that next time).
    Hope you all have had MS days .

Might be back on later, depending on how long I can stay awake for!
  • dink1
    starting to calm down now from overspend..... still not happy tho! does anyone elses dh blow their budget?
    Dink1
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 19th Jul 08, 5:35 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Just popped in to update my sig. As I expected the arrival of DD1 for the weekend has meant a bit of extra spending and I have spent another 7.06 today (in Waitrose!). Still hope to be on target though. I have made burgers for tonight's dinner, stretching the mince I would have used for two of us to make enough for three by adding lentils and breadcrumbs and mushrooms! Otherwise, not much happening - DH still working, but we did manage a trip over to MIL this pm to fit her new tv, so brownie points there!

Off to get supper ready. Have a nice evening everyone.

Moniker
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 19th Jul 08, 5:40 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    starting to calm down now from overspend..... still not happy tho! does anyone elses dh blow their budget?
    Dink1
    Originally posted by dink1
    Hmmm, DH did help me on my spending excursion at Tesco :rolleyes: and he eats everything I buy too so its all collusion lol (who am I kidding ?)
    Men lol (am joking before all the men scream at me )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

301Posts Today

4,080Users online

Martin's Twitter