Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 116
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Afternoon all

Well i went on my "whoopsie hunt" to the NAFFI this morning..and woo hoo I spent €36.21 when it should have been €79.91 .... including 8x2litre bottles of whole fresh milk, 6 granary bread flour, 5 lancashire/leicester cheese for hubby, fresh chicken €2 , packs of peppers, 3 marscapone, jacket potatoes, bananas, broccoli
    Have enough flour, cheese, marscapone etc to last several months (just need to track down marscapone recipes)

I made the cauli/broccoli cheese and we have had it with roast chicken, steamed potatoes and lots of the veggies from the garden -we still have about 3/4 of the cauli cheese left and lots of extra cheese sauce so i will freeze that up later,
    have also used one of the big courgettes with lots of other veggies, garlic, tomatoes, soya beans, smoked paprika to make a casserole thingy -which i will freeze in portions to -if i have enough room in the freezers
    Im going to try and ignore the 14 pieces of banana and coconut cake and the kiwi muffins i made and froze just before i went away ...had forgot about those until i went in the freezer earlier ..think i will stick them in hubbies sandwich box 1 at a time until they are gone

hugs to all those in need today... have a good day everyone and keep at it..
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 18th Jul 08, 3:34 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    I think it still gets taken off. I know when you use an extra points coupon it goes through even if the bogofs take it under the amount. HTH.
    Had to get some clothes today for DS DD and shoes for DH. Spent £40 not from the GC but still eek! Got 5 dresses for DD though and 2 pairs shoes for DS and 1 for DH.
    DS is really into Dr Who so just wants to wear baseball boots all the time, wasn't able to get boots but got little shoes, £4.50 for 2 pairs. The sale is on in Matalan if it's any help to anyone. They also have 3 for 2 on all of their school uniforms.

Don't know if anyone has any suggestions but DS is really thin (still wearing 12-18 months shorts and he's 5 in December) but also quite tall. Does anyone know where I might be able to get him some school trousers that actually fit him? Thanks, Kaz.
    Last edited by Kaz2904; 18-07-2008 at 3:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt £52856.59 £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 18th Jul 08, 3:37 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys,

Another NSD saved by the weather,

have two massive tom plants in conserverty that have lots of toms, but some of them are getting brown bottoms don't know why is it some type of rot or something. Growing them for mr & mrs and don't like them myself, so I've no Idea:confused:
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 18th Jul 08, 3:41 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    I think it still gets taken off. I know when you use an extra points coupon it goes through wvwn if the bogofs take it under the amount. HTH.
    Had to get some clothes today for DS DD and shoes for DH. Spent £40 not from the GC but still eek! Got 5 dresses for DD though and 2 pairs shoes for DS and 1 for DH.
    DS is really into Dr Who so just wants to wear baseball boots all the time, wasn't able to get boots but got little shoes, £4.50 for 2 pairs. The sale is on in Matalan if it's any help to anyone. They also have 3 for 2 on all of their school uniforms.

Don't know if anyone has any suggestions but DS is really thin (still wearing 12-18 months shorts and he's 5 in December) but also quite tall. Does anyone know where I might be able to get him some school trousers that actually fit him? Thanks, Kaz.
    Originally posted by Kaz2904
    Thank you.

Do you have an sctual school uniform shop anywhere near you (cant think of their proper name - maybe ask your school) otherwise there is this place online www.schooluniformshop.co.uk or google school uniform shops then the name of the area you live in.
    Last edited by mummygems; 18-07-2008 at 3:43 PM.
  • dink1
    mummygems, I know what you mean I had same probs with ds1 years ago, what i did was buy some elastic and sew the end inside the back of the trsouers and a button in the inside of the front side (one each side) and then cut a button hole and thread elastic through (sounds loads harder than it is). HTH

Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 18th Jul 08, 4:12 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum
    I will dish up our dinner tonight then freeze remainder for another time - should get about 6-8 servings out of it.
    Originally posted by denisefowler
    Would that be safe? You said the meat has been cooked and frozen already, so can you cook it and freeze it again. It would end up being cooked 3 times . Just concerned for your health, not being a know-it-all . I might copy your idea and use soya mince (though DH does like a bottom on his pie )

• Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 18th Jul 08, 4:16 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    mummygems, I know what you mean I had same probs with ds1 years ago, what i did was buy some elastic and sew the end inside the back of the trsouers and a button in the inside of the front side (one each side) and then cut a button hole and thread elastic through (sounds loads harder than it is). HTH

Dink1
    Originally posted by dink1
    Yes, thanks, most of them have this already in now but they end up all odd shaped and cut into him! Can't win can we, I'll just have to fatten him up .
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt £52856.59 £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • mandy_moo_1
    hiya dont know if this will be of any use but B&Q have fridges on offer at£86 which i know is still a lot but not much more than your repair job and at least it would be covered for 12 months,pity your not closer to me as i have an itergrated one spare,hth,sorry if its of no use though.x
    Originally posted by zoe260373
    aw thanx hun.its actually my fridge freezer thats broken....the freezer bit's fine, its just the fridge isn't getting cold enough. apparently it needs a new sensor :confused: but thanx for thinkin of me, that means a lot

• Justamum
    • By Justamum 18th Jul 08, 4:19 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum

I had a similar sort of problem with my DS. When he was in year 2 he was shorter than all the children in reception! He only comes up to the shoulder of the boys in his year (4). He was also wearing 18month shorts at the age of 4.

I do buy the adjustable waist ones for him and they are usually on the smallest they can go (he's nearly 9 and is wearing age 7 atm). They're not perfect though as they do tend to cut in and end up with lots of gathers at the back. I don't suppose you are a dab hand with a sewing machine are you? You could run up a couple of pairs for him.
    Last edited by Justamum; 18-07-2008 at 4:23 PM.

• mummygems
    • By mummygems 18th Jul 08, 4:23 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Yes, thanks, most of them have this already in now but they end up all odd shaped and cut into him! Can't win can we, I'll just have to fatten him up .
    Just had another thought Tesco kiddies clothes have the adjustable bits in them to tighten the waist - dont know if they would do the right kind of shorts though.

Never thought that school uniforms could be such a nightmare (thankfully I have a few years before my eldest goes to school lol).
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 18th Jul 08, 4:43 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hmmmm, I need a mascarpone recipe too MrsM, was hoping to make some sort of cheesecake concoction.....any ideas anyone ?
    Also still looking for a recipe for Lemon Chicken, an oriental type with the sticky lemony sauce. I could try to make up my own but it might not go to plan....:rolleyes:
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 18th Jul 08, 5:19 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Would that be safe? You said the meat has been cooked and frozen already, so can you cook it and freeze it again. It would end up being cooked 3 times . Just concerned for your health, not being a know-it-all . I might copy your idea and use soya mince (though DH does like a bottom on his pie )
    Originally posted by Justamum
    Thanks for thinking of me - realised that after I had cooked up a great big tray of it , told hubby and he said we'd have it again tomorrow as it was lovely (really filling too - sat for ages eating it as I was really enjoying it but think I dished up a bit too much.... ). I'm going to give mum some too so it won't go to waste.
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 18th Jul 08, 5:32 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    aw thanx hun.its actually my fridge freezer thats broken....the freezer bit's fine, its just the fridge isn't getting cold enough. apparently it needs a new sensor :confused: but thanx for thinkin of me, that means a lot
    Originally posted by mandy_moo_1
    Mandy_Moo, do you know a 'guy/gal that does'?

as you know what the problem is now, you can usually buy the part and then get someone else to fit it for you. I often have to do stuff to my washing machine, but you can get the part for a fraction of the price you would pay through the fitter and most of the time these things are really easy to fit - I often ask the guy at the place I buy the bit for.

You can get parts from this website http://www.speedyspares-appliances.com/ or try yell.com for your nearest supplier.

Hope that helps
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 18th Jul 08, 6:07 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Afternoon all

Well i went on my "whoopsie hunt" to the NAFFI this morning..and woo hoo I spent €36.21 when it should have been €79.91 .... including 8x2litre bottles of whole fresh milk, 6 granary bread flour, 5 lancashire/leicester cheese for hubby, fresh chicken €2 , packs of peppers, 3 marscapone, jacket potatoes, bananas, broccoli
    Have enough flour, cheese, marscapone etc to last several months (just need to track down marscapone recipes)

I made the cauli/broccoli cheese and we have had it with roast chicken, steamed potatoes and lots of the veggies from the garden -we still have about 3/4 of the cauli cheese left and lots of extra cheese sauce so i will freeze that up later,
    have also used one of the big courgettes with lots of other veggies, garlic, tomatoes, soya beans, smoked paprika to make a casserole thingy -which i will freeze in portions to -if i have enough room in the freezers
    Im going to try and ignore the 14 pieces of banana and coconut cake and the kiwi muffins i made and froze just before i went away ...had forgot about those until i went in the freezer earlier ..think i will stick them in hubbies sandwich box 1 at a time until they are gone

hugs to all those in need today... have a good day everyone and keep at it..
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    MrsM could you post the recipe when you get a minute ?
    Many thanks
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi Orkneystar -here you go :-

KIWI MUFFINS -makes 12
    preheat oven to 200
    1. 2 cups plain flour
    2. 1tbs baking powder
    3. 3/4tsp salt
    4. 1/3 cup sugar
    5. 1/4tsp cinnamon
    6. 1 egg
    7. 1 cup milk
    8. 1/4 cup oil -i used sunflower
    9. 3 kiwi -peeled and mashed
    • mix 1-5 in a bowl
    • mix 6-8 in a jug and then add to dry mix and stir to combine -don't over mix
    • stir in mashed kiwi
    • divide into 2 muffin cases and bake for 20 mins
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • saffouri
    Hi all just popped in to update my sig, and about to go cook dinner.

Was really pleased to see Twink's hobnobs get a mention in the weekly MSE email - good on you whoever it was who wrote in to insist they join the list of favourite biscuits!

Hope the grey gloom lifts soon.... we are having a camping holiday up north this year as part of our money saving.

saf
    March GC: £147.75/£180 groceries + £36.75/£50 meals out

February: £163.19/£180 + £66.14/£50 monthly budget for eating out Total £229.33/£230
    January:
    £170.01/£170
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 18th Jul 08, 6:35 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    OrkneyStar:

Lemon chicken

2 sliced skinless chicken breast fillets
    150ml chicken stock
    142ml carton single cream or milk
    grated zest & juice of ½ lemon
    1 tbsp cornflour, blended with a little cold water
    1. Cook the chicken in a frying pan until lightly browned & cooked through. Remove from the pan.
    2. Add the stock, cream/milk, lemon zest & juice and blended cornflour to the pan.
    3. Bring to the boil & simmer for 2 minutes, stirring continually until thickened & smooth. Add seasoning to taste & return the chicken to the pan.
    4. Serve with cooked rice and veg of choice.
    ...Onion - diced
    Carrots - chopped into small pieces
    Swede - chopped into small pieces (adds a lovely flavour)

par-boil above ingredients, then add...
    Originally posted by denisefowler
    Did you actually boil the onions? Thanks for the recipe BTW - it does sound yummy I love minced beef & onion pie. Think I'm gonna do this as a way to use up some of the 7p puff pastry stash that I've got. Thanks for the idea.

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 18-07-2008 at 7:11 PM.
    • LittleOne83
    • By LittleOne83 18th Jul 08, 6:38 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    LittleOne83
    Haven't really posted much here but i'm on £45.**/£80 which is pretty good going.
    Only getting essentials like bread, milk, ham, cheese (chocolate) when I shop as I have tins of stuff and a freezer full of meals that I've told myself to work my way through.

This includes 2 meals out and a couple of bottles of wine too!
    So tempted to get a pizza.....must resist.
    Trying to remain debt free!
    Sept GC £24.10/£200
    Weekly spend £0/£50
    Sealed pot £3.15
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 18th Jul 08, 6:41 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi everyone. Got back in one piece from the supermarket with MIL and was pleased that I spent well under what I expected, so I am quietly confident of making it this month! However, DD1 is sick and DH is bringing her home with him (a slight detour on his way home from London) so I will have an extra unplanned mouth to feed this weekend (but she's worth it!). Have updated my sig. By the way, Sainsbury's are doing lots of half price fruit, raspberries, nectarines, grapes etc and Bionsen roll-on deodorant is £1 off at 63p, so got 2 as DH likes these as they don't have aluminium in and so are less irritating for sensitive skin (ah!).

I am sure I have a recipe for a marscapone cheesecake somewhere - off to hunt it out and will post later if I find it.

Moniker
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 18th Jul 08, 6:54 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Lime Mascarpone Torte
    Mascarpone and Lime Torte

200g ginger snap biscuits crushed
    50g butter melted
    2 x250g tubs Mascarpone cheese
    40g icing sugar sifted
    Finely grated zest and juice of 2 limes

To decorate: 50g dark chocolate, 50g caster sugar, a few grapes
    • Mix together the crushed biscuits and melted butter and press into the base of a 18cm spring sided or loose bottomed cake tin (I usually line it first).
    • Place the Mascarpone, icing sugar, lime zest and juice in a bowl and beat together. Spread over the biscuit base and child for 30 minutes.
    • Decorate by grating the chocolate over the top and add a few frosted grapes (by dipping in water, shaking off the excess and then dipping in cater sugar)

This recipe came from a Sainsbury’s recipe card. You could also do this with a lemon, but it might need a bit more sugar I think.

Moniker
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

887Posts Today

6,889Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Morning. I'm on way to @thismorning to talk a subject I've been planning a while - financial abuse (a form of domes? https://t.co/HVIOhjZOf2

• RT @steve_ej: @MartinSLewis I like all of the comments about privacy, and I bet most people concerned about privacy also have a smartphone.?

• Today's Twitter Poll: Do you have a Smart speaker, and if so what brand?

• Follow Martin