Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th Dec 05, 7:27 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Energy Saving Grants
    • 17th Dec 05, 7:27 PM
    Energy Saving Grants 17th Dec 05 at 7:27 PM
    The Energy Saving Trust, the government set up body to help reduce our energy uses has a great wee tool where you enter your postcode, tell it which energy supplier you use and it tells you what grants are available for you. Worth everyone having a go.

Search for official offers and grants on energysaving here

While I'm at it, there's a couple of other things that will be worthwhile.

You can do an home energy efficiency check also with the EST

While I'm at it

Of course switching to the cheapest energy supplier is the biggest MoneySaver of the lot, so read my 'cheapest supplier in 5 minutes plus cashback' article

Last edited by MSE Archna; 25-04-2006 at 3:57 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 17th Dec 05, 7:39 PM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    • 17th Dec 05, 7:39 PM
    • 17th Dec 05, 7:39 PM
    Thanks Martin. I have a grant for a replacement boiler with Warmfront but its going to take up to 6 months, just great when we have only just got Winter and our boiler is packing in, I cant afford a new boiler. They do not account of peoples needs and I am angry as hell with them and DEFRA for not giving people with priorities. I have a disabled daughter with Motor sensory neuropathy and she can't stand for long periods but now she has to because we can no longer have baths amd now she has to have a shower. I am sure there are people in much worse state yet people die in this country because of the severe cold and sub standard housing when it can so easily be prevented.

I am sure this would be of enormous use for some people. Thanks.
    Last edited by Poppycat; 21-12-2005 at 1:33 PM.
  • moneysavingplumber
    • 18th Dec 05, 12:18 AM
    • 18th Dec 05, 12:18 AM
    The EST link is good and I posted it in a few threads a while back. The only problem as far as boiler changes go is I think you have no choice in what boiler you end up with, someone recently posted about that, I think.
    • tubster
    • By tubster 18th Dec 05, 12:51 AM
    • 250 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    tubster
    • 18th Dec 05, 12:51 AM
    Warmfront
    • 18th Dec 05, 12:51 AM
    I found out about the warm front free central heating for low income people on this site. It has taken a couple of months for an inspector to come over; three weeks more for another inspection (this time by the contractor - why not do both at the same time with the same person?!) and he said it could be 6 weeks until the storage heaters are actually installed, as he had to send off all the paperwork etc. So four months from application. An operator at warmfront said that six months wasn't an unusual waiting time. Now as all this is free, it seems churlish to complain - next winter I'll be all set up - but it does seem unbelievably innefficient, because I could order a storage heater from Screwfix in 24 hours and all you have to do is screw it to the wall and plug it in. After the inspection, it really shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to order and find someone to install it. It would make more sense for the inspector to be an engineer; write out exactly what needs doing; and give the client some kind of voucher to spend with recognised local contractors, who could cash the voucher with the trust. That said, I would strongly recommend anyone with a household income of less than 15k to look into these grants, because they have recently been opened up to everyone, not just pensioners. I have worked out that the three storage heaters they will install, that will replace my oil filled electric radiators, which are on all the time because I have got two tiny children, will save me 400 a year. The claim process is very easy - just be prepared to be on a six month waiting list.
    Tubster
    Last edited by tubster; 22-12-2005 at 11:36 AM.
  • Nici
    • 20th Dec 05, 7:33 PM
    • 20th Dec 05, 7:33 PM
    I've just spotted the 100 grant for getting a new energy efficient condensing boiler. I hads British Gas out today quoting me for the work to fit exactly one of these. I know that 100 doesn't come even close to how much they charge but at lesat every little helps!
  • lasitha
    • 20th Dec 05, 8:38 PM
    • 20th Dec 05, 8:38 PM
    I tried, but half way down the survey, I got this:

500 Internal Server Error
    java.lang.NullPointerException at uk.org.est.sense.web.action.HecQuestionnaireAction .persist(HecQuestionnaireAction.java:168) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor2172.invoke(Unk nown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324) at org.apache.struts.actions.DispatchAction.dispatchM ethod(DispatchAction.java:276) at org.apache.struts.actions.DispatchAction.execute(D ispatchAction.java:196) at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processA ctionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:421) at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process( RequestProcessor.java:226) at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(Act ionServlet.java:1164) at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(Acti onServlet.java:415) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:760) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:853) at com.evermind[Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0)].server.http.ServletRequestDispatcher.invoke(Servl etRequestDispatcher.java:765) at com.evermind[Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0)].server.http.ServletRequestDispatcher.forwardInter nal(ServletRequestDispatcher.java:317) at com.evermind[Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0)].server.http.HttpRequestHandler.processRequest(Htt pRequestHandler.java:790) at com.evermind[Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0)].server.http.HttpRequestHandler.run(HttpRequestHan dler.java:270) at com.evermind[Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0)].server.http.HttpRequestHandler.run(HttpRequestHan dler.java:112) at com.evermind[Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0)].util.ReleasableResourcePooledExecutor$MyWorker.ru n(ReleasableResourcePooledExecutor.java:192) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)
    • potbelly
    • By potbelly 20th Dec 05, 11:30 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    potbelly
    • 20th Dec 05, 11:30 PM
    • 20th Dec 05, 11:30 PM
    I've just spotted the 100 grant for getting a new energy efficient condensing boiler. I hads British Gas out today quoting me for the work to fit exactly one of these. I know that 100 doesn't come even close to how much they charge but at lesat every little helps!
    by Nici
    Please be very wary of British Gas. They quoted me 2300 to replace a boiler which also needed a bit of brickwork to change the flue, and to check my radiators, with a 100 discount on the work. A local plumber did the job for just 500 for everything, including the cost of the boiler!!!
    I hate to think of anyone spending more than they need.
    Bye for now,
    Paul

What colour is YOUR parachute?
  • davey210
    • 21st Dec 05, 1:21 AM
    • 21st Dec 05, 1:21 AM
    The Energy Saving Trust, the government set up body to help reduce our energy uses has a great wee tool where you enter your postcode, tell it which energy supplier you use and it tells you what grants are available for you. Worth everyone having a go.

Search for official offers and grants on energysaving here

While I'm at it, there's a couple of other things that will be worthwhile.

You can do an home energy efficiency check also with the EST

While I'm at it

Of course switching to the cheapest energy supplier is the biggest MoneySaver of the lot, so read my 'cheapest supplier in 5 minutes plus cashback' article
    by MSE Martin
    Sorry martin I work in the industry and know the offers available,this is not up to date
  • JenniO
    • 21st Dec 05, 12:51 PM
    • 21st Dec 05, 12:51 PM
    Martin's 'Search for offers' link isnt working for me.........anyone else?
    • *Louise*
    • By *Louise* 21st Dec 05, 3:15 PM
    • 9,046 Posts
    • 28,113 Thanks
    *Louise*
    Please be very wary of British Gas. They quoted me 2300 to replace a boiler which also needed a bit of brickwork to change the flue, and to check my radiators, with a 100 discount on the work. A local plumber did the job for just 500 for everything, including the cost of the boiler!!!
    I hate to think of anyone spending more than they need.
    by potbelly

Good warning - I would never use them. They charged my gran 4,000 just to replace a boiler. Of course, she didn't question them - she's 75 and wanted a well-known company thinking they would be the best.

I got a combi-boiler central heating system fitted from scratch for 2,000 by The Combi Boiler Co. and they were very efficient.
    • katyk
    • By katyk 21st Dec 05, 3:51 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    katyk
    Hope this is the best place to put this - if not feel free to move it.
    I just received an email telling me of a (very poorly advertised) winter rebate from Scottish gas for customers on their gas/electricity bills. The rebate of 40 off gas and 20 off electric can be claimed if customers (or possibly people living in their home) are in receipt of -
    DLA (no info about different components)
    Severe Disability Allowance
    Pension credit
    War disablement pension
    Disablement pension
    Child tax credit - when total income is under 14,600
    Working tax credit - when total income is below 14,600
    Severe Disablement Allowance
    Council Tax Benefit
    Housing Benefit
    Income Support
    Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
    Carers Allowance
    Apparently there are no flyers available and there is nothing on the SG website (www.house.co.uk) Info needed to register is gas and/or elec reference numbers and which benefit is being received. Claims should be made on 0845 6032430 - open until 8pm Mon-Fri and 6pm Sat. Closing date is soon - maybe end december.
    I don't actually qualify but hope this helps those who will.
  • PeteB_2000
    A big thankyou to the OP regarding warmfront we had a new condensing boiler fitted yesterday, the house is as warm as toast now, they are also going to do some draught proofing soon, could of also had cavity wall insulation done and the loft but both where ok as our house is only 5 years old. I think we applied about 4-5 months ago.

Cheers
    Pete
    • Fran
    • By Fran 22nd Dec 05, 12:35 AM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    Fran
    Thanks intel and Poppycat for pointing out the spammer.
    Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Energy, Small biz & Charities and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
    • Mike the Fishman
    • By Mike the Fishman 22nd Dec 05, 8:23 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mike the Fishman
    Obstacle to using Warmfront
    Having read of the time delays ingetting any service from Warmfront prompt me to tell you of my 90 year old mother who is blind and asthmatic living on her own. Her boiler broke down in October this year. Heating was essential for a person in this position so my brother went ahead and had a new boiler installed for 2500.00. Meanwhile I found the Warmfront offer of up to 2700.00 for someone in my mother's position. Lo and behold Warmfront said they could not help (even though my mother qualifies) because I had not registered for a grant with them before getting the work done!!! Moreover, they then said it would possibly take 6 weeks for a survey and then a further 6 monthe for installation. I ask myself, has the government set up a system to avoid payment of these grants by allocating only one company to handle the work? Having had the work done there is no way Warmfront would entertain a contribution for my mother whose pension is only 128 per week ( including disability benefits). How are you supposed to know about Warmfront before you experience this type of emergency???
    Thanks Martin. I have a grant for a replacement boiler with Warmfront but its going to take up to 6 months, just great when we have only just got Winter and our boiler is packing in, I cant afford a new boiler. They do not account of peoples needs and I am angry as hell with them and DEFRA for not giving people with priorities. I have a disabled daughter with Motor sensory neuropathy and she can't stand for long periods but now she has to because we can no longer have baths amd now she has to have a shower. I am sure there are people in much worse state yet people die in this country because of the severe cold and sub standard housing when it can so easily be prevented.

I am sure this would be of enormous use for some people. Thanks.
    by Poppycat
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 22nd Dec 05, 11:02 AM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    That's what concerns me Mike. Although we are in need I have raised this with Warmfront and Defra regarding prioritising people, and elderly people should in most cases be given utmost priority. They told me they are not an emergency service. Yet the very people who they are suppose to help are normally those with little incomes and can least afford paying themselves. So if people are can least afford can not wait they have to find the money else where. I think that, that is unacceptable, and it is unacceptable that they must wait a long time, particularly at this time of year.

I have raised this with my MP who has written to Warmfront. I have also written to them a month ago, and more recently via email, but I havent had a reply at all from them.

I find there attitude unhelpful and I have nothing but contempt for Defra who were even worse. I just hope and I put in nicely although I would rather not, that they dont have to experince the problems like we do.

I am now applying for help else where, because I can not wait six months.
  • Spikey
    Brilliant.............. cheers Martin
    Use your judgement, and above all, be honest with yourself.

I walk with the world & the world walks with me!

I don't make bad choices!!! Other people just fail to see my GENIUS !!!!
    • mariejader
    • By mariejader 3rd Jul 06, 12:39 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    mariejader
    I applied for the warm front grant in Dec, I had not heard from them so in March I called again and asked when would they contact me, a week later a very nice lady came out and advised we were able to get the full grant and to empty the loft as they would start with that, we hired a skip over the easter weekend and emptied the loft! the engineer came for what I thought was to do the installation only to find, he was doing a survey of the heating and the loft installation would be the last job!! Christmas decorations all over the house again!!!.

I had not heard from them so called again a month later and the engineer had not taken paperwork back so nothing happening, finally the paperwork was submitted June 2nd and I was advised the parts were ordered and would be in the plumb centre on the 27th June with fitting a little after.

I have now been informed that I need to pay an additional £420 on top of the (£2700) grant, I don't think so all I need is a new boiler and a hot water tank I have asked a company to qive me prices and their price came out much cheaper for the same work but with three days labour where as I was told max 1 day.

Is anyone else experiencing problems?
    • col553
    • By col553 3rd Jul 06, 1:02 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    col553
    I had the same problem with a company tyring to overcharge for work that could be done with the same materials by local Corgi companys at half the price that came through from the firms sent by Warm Front.
    Then they had a nerve to ask for more money because the price of the work had gone past the 2700 grant allowance.
    I stood my ground and they reduced there quote to guess what ( £2700.)the full grant allowance. How convenient for them.
    Sounds to me like some companys are making a lot of money from.

(1) The goverment
    (2) People on low income and benefits.

What i would like to know is how are these companys getting away with over charging by as much as 100%
    Last edited by col553; 03-07-2006 at 1:07 PM.
    • mariejader
    • By mariejader 4th Jul 06, 11:25 AM
    • 395 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    mariejader
    What I did not mention was they told me they had another 18 letters to go out that day regarding excess charges, something's not right!!

I would be interested to know of any others in the same situation
  • lucylucas
    I followed the link to the Energy Saving Grants page then the Warm Front link for England - it says that the money in the pot has run out and to check back on 1 April 2011. It won't keep any applications on file
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

26Posts Today

3,508Users online

Martin's Twitter