Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Austin_Allegro
    Homemade wine
    • 29th Nov 04, 11:53 PM
    Homemade wine 29th Nov 04 at 11:53 PM
    Has anyone here had any success with home made wine?

A while back I bought the bits and pieces required from a wine making shop (cost about 20). There is a simpler method whereby all you need is a big 5 litre jar and a balloon to keep the top covered and sterile, but I haven't tried this.

The bottles were old 'proper' wine bottles, and the method was got free from the internet.

I made orange wine - all you need is 3 litres of juice, about 700g of sugar, and some yeast. It works out at about 50p a bottle but it could be done cheaper with a bit of effort. If you have fruit trees etc you can make it for nothing but the cost of the yeast and sugar.

It took me about six weeks to make, but dedicated enthusiasts always have another lot on the go while they drink their present vintage.

And the taste....? Hmm. Not really like any wine you'd get in a shop, but perfectly drinkable (especially as a mixer) and very strong.
Page 1
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 30th Nov 04, 8:48 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 30th Nov 04, 8:48 AM
    Re: Homemade wine
    • 30th Nov 04, 8:48 AM
    Have triedwinemaking a while back with similar results to you. That was back when I was a white wine drinker. Now I'm all grown up , I like red wine so the options are more limited.

Anyone got recipe for a red wine that uses something fresh (not a pack) and cheap?
    • By 16011996 30th Nov 04, 9:47 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 30th Nov 04, 9:47 AM
    • 30th Nov 04, 9:47 AM
    do you grow into drinking red wine? i hate it, but older friends say you like it more as you get older
    • N9eav
    • By N9eav 30th Nov 04, 10:02 AM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 26,423 Thanks
    N9eav
    • 30th Nov 04, 10:02 AM
    • 30th Nov 04, 10:02 AM
    I make loads and it's very nice.

The best I think are reds like Blackberry and Strawberry. !I have got great results with tinned peaches too. !The soft fruits that break down easily work best. !wrong time fo the year for the first two, but tinned peaches and manderines work good and cheap if you use the basic brand from supermarkets. The strawberry is something else! I tend to lengthen the fermentation and make them strong and sweet like a desert wine or liqueur, but they can be made into table wines too.

I can send or post the recipees later... after work ????
    • catznine
    • By catznine 30th Nov 04, 10:07 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 30th Nov 04, 10:07 AM
    • 30th Nov 04, 10:07 AM
    Yes 160 you can definately grow into red wine. We too were confirmed white wine drinkers when a friend suggested that to get into red wine we should at least try drinking a whole bottle of it which when you don't like red wine seems far too much! So we took a bottle away on holiday with us (we were on a little motor boat and away from the pubs)

After 1 glass we still didn't like it

After 2 glasses we thought maybe we should try another :-/

After the 3rd glass all was right in the world ;D ;D ;D and we were confirmed red wine drinkers!!

So give it a try ( I can't drink white wine now unless it's the fizzy sort!!lol)
    • By 16011996 30th Nov 04, 10:08 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 30th Nov 04, 10:08 AM
    • 30th Nov 04, 10:08 AM
    yes please. ;D
    • catznine
    • By catznine 30th Nov 04, 10:10 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 30th Nov 04, 10:10 AM
    • 30th Nov 04, 10:10 AM
    Don't forget that any home made wine that isn't quite good enough for drinking is perfectly alright to use in casseroles, gravy etc
    • By 16011996 30th Nov 04, 10:22 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 30th Nov 04, 10:22 AM
    • 30th Nov 04, 10:22 AM
    i freeze dodgy wine in ice cube trays, then bag, excellent fot chucking a couple in a stew.
  • Austin_Allegro
    • 30th Nov 04, 6:20 PM
    • 30th Nov 04, 6:20 PM
    I'd love to see the recipe for tinned peach wine, as Sainsbury's are doing massive tins for about 36p!

You can also use 'failed' homemade wine as wine vinegar.

• MATH
    • By MATH 30th Nov 04, 6:35 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    I've never tried homemade wine cos I still have the memory of my Grnadmother's Parsnip Whisky which used to take ya head off. What do you need to get started?
    • MATH
    • By MATH 30th Nov 04, 6:37 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    I havn't tried making homemade wine cos I still have the memory of my Grandmother's Parnip Whisky which used to take ya head off. Austen, What do you need to get started?
    • By 16011996 30th Nov 04, 6:39 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    parsnip whisky, sounds good.
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 1st Dec 04, 12:38 AM
    • 7,630 Posts
    • 49,830 Thanks
    MimiJane
    I've never tried making it myself, but homemade parsnip wine is fantastic. The best homemade wine I've tasted is gooseberry and sultana ... lovely mixture of sweet and sour.
    • N9eav
    • By N9eav 1st Dec 04, 8:01 AM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 26,423 Thanks
    N9eav
    As promised wine recipee. !Peaches, apricots, mandarines anything in syrup will do.

3lb of tinned fruit per gallon (drained weight)
    1 small can of grape concentrate (1/2pt)
    675g sugar
    1tsp citric acid
    1/2 tsp grape tannin
    1 tps pectin
    1tsp yeast nutrient
    1 package of wine yeast

If you don't want to use grape concentrate, soak a 1lb of raisins in boiling water and add to the must instead.

This is a gallon recipee, but just increase everything for a 5 gallon jug, except the yeast.

1. Sterilise everything.
    2. Put all the tinned fruit into a bucket, juice and all, and mash it up.
    3. bring the sugar to boil in 1 pint of water and then add this straight to the fruit in the bucket.
    4. If you are using raisins, Add the soaked raisins at this stage.
    5. !add 4 pints of cold water to the bucket and all the other ingredients EXCEPT the yeast.
    Cover and leave overnight or about 12 hours.
    6. !Add the yeast ( most yeasts are quick acting now and do not need to be started beforehand)
    leave in the bucket for 2-3 days, covered, stir 2-3 times a day.
    7. Strain the liquid into a fermentation vessel (demijohn for 1 gallon), !Top up to the neck with cool water, and fit the airlock. ( If you are using the grape concentrate add this to the demijohn now and then top up with cool water)
    8. Let ferment until the airlock stops bubbling.
    9. Check for specific gravity, a dry wine will be about 1.000 ( you can sweeten it a bit later if you wish)
    10. Rack off the liquid into a clean demijohn leaving the sediment behind. !re-fit the airlock and leave to mature for 6 -12 months. It works out at between

Now if you want a stronger sweeter wine, when the fermentation slows down and the specific gravity is about 1.000 or less, add a tablespoon of sugar, and keep doing this every few days to keep the fermentation going, taste for sweetness every now and !again, until you get an idea of what you may like.

What happens is as the yeast eats the sugar and produces alcohol the alcohol content gets so strong it kills the yeast and it stops working. !So be carefull you don't over add sugar and make it too sweet. !Should be about 15-17% this method
    • By 16011996 1st Dec 04, 8:53 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    that sounds good, thanks.
  • Austin_Allegro
    N9eav thanks for the recipe!

Math, this is what you need to get started, you can get this mail order or from a wine making shop, or perhaps try ebay:

Demijohn (big glass jar)
    Airlock and bung
    syphon tube
    hygrometer (optional)
    bottles
    corks
    corking machine
    sterilising tablets (Campden tablets)

However, you can make 'prison booze' by just getting a demijohn, adding juice and yeast and putting a balloon over the top to seal it. As the wine ferments the balloon fills with gas then deflates as the fermentation completes. Never tried it but should be ok as long as you sterilize everything - check the net for advice and recipes.
  • Galtizz
    Or better still, Wilkos sell it all cheaply.
    • By 16011996 1st Dec 04, 4:43 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    wilkos do, and so do Ardrons if you have one near you.
  • bugs
    Pardon for another blatant plug for the website, but there's an introduction to winemaking on http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Home_Brewing/Home_wine_making/

(Not my article, but I help with the website, and it's free and you don't have to register so I hope nobody will mind).

We (I say we, it's my other half that does the chemistry, I'm just chief tester) use a book called Fruity Passions which says it's from a BBC TV series. Just the name would make me watch it, if only they'd repeat it!
    • N9eav
    • By N9eav 1st Dec 04, 4:58 PM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 26,423 Thanks
    N9eav
    Keep an eye out at boot sales or the local paper, there is often cheap wine and beer making stuff for a few quid. People get bored of making it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,400Posts Today

7,627Users online

Martin's Twitter