Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 114
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 18th Jul 08, 10:02 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Tips on keeping diluted milk
    I meant to ask, do other people find that diluted milk doesn't keep as long as undiluted? I find that a day or so after diluting is starts to go off, even though the original bottle it came from might still have a use by date several days ahead. Am I doing something wrong?

I ran out of 'fresh' milk for this very reason this morning and had to throw some away. I used soya milk in my tea and coffee this morning which I don't like at all even though I am quite happy to have it on my cereal or to make porridge. I was determined not to go to the village shop and buy milk as it is so expensive and I am due to go to Sainsbury's with MIL this afternoon. I think Sainsbury's milk doesn't keep as well as other supermarkets for some reason - perhaps they don't keep such strict checks on the storage temperature or something. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks

Moniker
  • Triggles
    Morning all. Had to update my sig for today's spends, although I did have a NSD yesterday. We bought a nice packet of meat in the market today that had a beef joint, lamb joint, 6 lamb chops, 4 pork chops, and 4 steaks for £20. The joints were quite large and looked excellent, and the steaks were absolutely huge! So DH & I were pleased. We priced it up separately and it was £34 worth of meat, so that's good. We normally buy meat at the supermarket, but have been venturing to the market and butchers to see if it's better quality and have been happy with it so far. Plus it's nice to support local smaller businesses, IMO.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!!
  • Herbaholic
    Yup I just calculated that I'd have £10.70ish to spend per day, so if I want to do or buy something extra as part of the grocery budget e.g a meal out at the local 2 for 1 (cost approx £18) then I have to do 2 NSD and live out of the cupboards and freezer.

Just updated siggy and have £64.32 left to last the next 10 days which works out at £6.43 per day, however I want to get paint for the hall that costs just short of £20 and I said I'd pay for it out of this months GC budget as part of the bit I save (except I haven't been as frugal for the first part of the month as I should have been doh!) still if I subtract the £20 from what I have left then I have £4.43 per day, if I go every other day I have £8.86 etc. Don't mean to bore peeps, just thought it would help me figure it out if I typed it out. I'll try it for the rest of this month and see what happens and will try it properly from next pay day. I can certainly see the logic, so DH will be pleased.

Forgot to mention earlier that I'd bought a proper yorkshire pudding tin and last night made the yorkies for tea in those, instead of a flat cake like thing, they came out all puffed up and like they should be, I was so impressed I took a photo lol! Looking forward to harvesting some veggies from the garden this weekend, not sure if the cabbages are big enough yet, first time we've grown them, they look good, but I think they need leaving a bit longer, anyone know how big they're supposed to get???
    Last edited by Herbaholic; 18-07-2008 at 10:10 AM.
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 ; Jun £278.86/£275.00 ; May £276.13/£280.00
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 18th Jul 08, 10:10 AM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good morning again

Greent

Can't wait until my toms ripen in the garden - we have loads but all remaining green - no hint of redness yet :-( First courgette is a few days away from being big enough :-)) And we have loads of lettuce - can't keep up with it so keep giving it away! Must freeze coriander before it flowers/ bolts - loads of it atm. Teeny-tiny peppers and chillis are just beginning to grow too - yeay!

I have the same problem waiting for everything to ripen but they will sooner

or later ,,, fingers crossed,,,

Thanks Denise for that ((((((((((((((( hugs )))))))))))))))

see ya later
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• cammumof3
    HI all

JUst wondering if all the recipes from people go on to the list at the begenning of all the pages. Does that make sence.
    Caz
    July 185.19/200/Aug=170.25//200//sept=81.24/200. 2adults,3 kids + 2 dogs.
    my home page=3.45.Sealed challenge pot=NO-276.
    BOGOF's=16.94/whoopsi=13.12/vouchers=7.70/Wilko's saving stamp 24 pounds/2 pound pot ?count 1/12/08
    Daily Clicks=27.96
  • sjaypink
    hi everyone.

quick question please!

i have a basil plant that looks like its on its last legs (not very good with plants ) whats the easiest and cheapest way to make a good pesto?

and how long does it keep?

thankyou in advance!

(also any opinions on breadmakers - makes/ models/ features/ prices?)
    We cannot change anything unless we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. Carl Jung

• cammumof3
    Hi all

can some one tell me, all the recipes that we post here, do they all end up in the recipe list at the begenning of the thread.
    July 185.19/200/Aug=170.25//200//sept=81.24/200. 2adults,3 kids + 2 dogs.
    my home page=3.45.Sealed challenge pot=NO-276.
    BOGOF's=16.94/whoopsi=13.12/vouchers=7.70/Wilko's saving stamp 24 pounds/2 pound pot ?count 1/12/08
    Daily Clicks=27.96
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 18th Jul 08, 10:19 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    http://carolinesallotment.blogspot.com/

Photos of my peas, hope it works.
    Caz
    Originally posted by cammumof3
    Wow, they're massive, well done... Loved the photos, by the way, the flower is a Rhododendron.
    D x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • gillaman
    Hi Everyone

Just spent about 20 mins typing up recipes only to be told I wasn’t properly logged in!! Hey ho – I will learn (to check if I can post).
    Have updated my sig and today should be an NSD as was yesterday.
    Thanks to:

Denise – for tip about finding posts
    Herbaholic – for info about herbs – any idea why both my rosemary plants in tubs have been looking yellow all summer. One’s prostrate, one’s upright. They’re not overwatered.

Here’s the promised recipes:

Apple Delight

2lbs cooking apples (or granny smiths)
    8oz sr flour
    7 oz porridge oats
    5 ozs Demerara sugar
    5 oz granulated sugar
    8oz raisins
    2 oz finely chopped crystallized ginger
    5 oz marg
    Pinch salt

Grease and flour a 10” x 10” roasting tin.
    Rub marg into flour and salt
    Add oats and dem sugar and sprinkle half on to bottom of roasting tin
    Peel and core apples, chop finely and add half to tin
    Sprinkle on half the gran sugar then half the raisins and ginger
    Repeat the apple/sugar/raisins/ginger layers
    Add remainder of oats mix and press down
    Bake for 50-60 mins – elec. 180 elec./gas mark 4
    Serve hot with custard or cream, or eat cold

Ginger Raisin Crunches

8 oz ginger nuts
    3 oz raisins
    2 tbsps golden syrup
    2 oz butter or marg
    1 oz chopped walnuts
    Little castor or sieved icing sugar

Crush ginger nuts into fairly coarse crumbs
    Heat syrup and butter, add raisins while hot
    Stir on to crumbs, adding chopped nuts
    Press into an oblong cake tin or round 8” shallow cake tin
    Leave in a cool place until firm.
    Cut into fingers and dust with sugar

Flaky Bars

4 oz butter or marg
    2 oz crushed corn flakes
    4 oz flour (plain or sr)
    3 oz desiccated coconut
    1 oz castor sugar

Melt butter in saucepan over a low heat
    Add to dry ingredients
    Mix well and spread and press into a well-greased 12” x 9” tin
    Bake at 180/gas mark 4 or about 20 mins
    Cut into 16 bars while still hot and leave in the tin

Make a water icing with icing sugar and water (pouring consistency) and pour over bars while they’re still warm
    Chocolate Krackolates

7 tbsps corn flakes
    1 level tbsps cocoa powder
    1 tbsp icing sugar
    1 tbsp golden syrup
    1 oz marg
    2 tbsps desiccated coconut or 1 tsp grated orange peel

Melt marg, icing sugar and syrup slowly – don’t boil
    Add cocoa and remove from heat
    Quickly fold in coconut or peel and corn flakes until well coated
    Spoon into little cake cases and leave until cool

OK – have typed this up in Word and saved it just in case!

Anyone feeling under the weather – hope you get better soon.

Gill
    Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
  • scotsaver
    MRSMC - it's so great to have you back.

Doing well with the GC this month, still using up Freezer contents and bits out of the cupboards. One freezer emptied this morning and off to defrost that in a moment. Having our usual Breaded Fish and HM Chips and Mushy Peas tonight and then I shall pick some Rhubarb from the garden for a crumble for tonights Pud. Tomorrow night we are having Sweet & Sour Pork, found a jar of sauce lurking at the back of a cupboard and the Pork has been in the freezer for ages, shall also use up a packet of Egg Noodles from the Cupbaord. Sunday we are at friends for Dinner so a day off from Meal Planning/Preperation.

Kids break up from School today and then I know it will be harder to try and control the GC but I'm determined to make it work.

Have a good day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• SAV3R
    Hi everyone, Weather is rubbish here too, thought we were in middle of summer. Feeling really down today.

Think i'm still catching up from weekend in hospital with DS2 and his broken arm. He is feeling quite a bit better now, no more pain just hope we go on ok next week when we go for Xray. Last time it moved and he had to have a plate in.

Feeling worried about work, during the hols mum looks after the kids and she is giving me grief cos she doesn't want to do it anymore. Don't really know what to do, Can't find holiday care for DS1 cos he's 13, but don't want to leave him home all day yet, don't feel he's ready for that. Don't know if we can afford to live on just OH wages. Trying really hard to cut down living costs, but everything keeps going up, what I save in one place is needed somewhere else.

This challenge is so good, we spend more than a lot of you on here, but we are gradually spending less each month and the meal planning is really working.

Sorry for the waffle, just need someone to talk to.
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 18th Jul 08, 10:29 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    HI all

JUst wondering if all the recipes from people go on to the list at the begenning of all the pages. Does that make sence.
    Caz
    Yes, should do, but if you notice one that's slipped through the net, let AngelNikki know and she'll add it on for you.
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 18th Jul 08, 10:47 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    morning all

off work today as feel absolutely atrocious! didn't get much sleep and OH told me there was no way he was letting me go to work. isn't he a sweetie!!

my plan for today is to sleep on the sofa if i can stop coughing and try and eat sthg, i'm thinking scrambled eggs but i've not even got the energy to decide.

ioiwe x

ps, where is the sun?????
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Herbaholic
    Herbaholic – for info about herbs – any idea why both my rosemary plants in tubs have been looking yellow all summer. One’s prostrate, one’s upright. They’re not overwatered.
    Originally posted by gillaman
    My ginger rosemary looked like that at the start of the year! It had been in a pot and had got too wet and moss had grown around the top! I removed the top inch of compost removing all the moss and topped it back up with fresh compost, gave it a drink and popped a slow release plant food tablet in.

If the leaves are yellow it could be down to lack of water, yes I know that sounds odd as most people think herbs don't need a lot of water. But if you have herbs like rosemary and bay in pots and they get too dry they will pout. sulk and turn yellow! Also if you used garden soil in the pots and you have a soil type that is dry and sandy then the rosemary can get too dry and that can lead it to turn yellow. It could also be down to nutrient deficiency, give the plants a little general purpose fertiliser in (only do this once mind, herbs don't like to be fed to often, some not at all). If the rosemary are in pots then I'd water every 3 days after the liquid feed and things should improve in a couple of weeks. Hope that helps?

Herby
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 ; Jun £278.86/£275.00 ; May £276.13/£280.00
    • russetred
    • By russetred 18th Jul 08, 11:06 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    Hi everyone just back from my hols which were great.No way I'm trying to catch up on posts as July would be over by the time I'd finished! Moniker I found if you use cooled boiled water from the kettle to dilute milk it solves the problem of going off too quickly.Hit Mr T for 8 bags of reduced stuff last night for £12 then discovered I was o/charged so an extra £4 came off that.One happy bunny.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • dink1
    Denise Ė sorry to hear you are having a crap day, I know exactly what you mean with DH, as mine is still only doing weekly work. So donít worry you are not moaning thatís what we are all hear for. Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 18th Jul 08, 11:56 AM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,859 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY

GOOD AFTERNOON ALL

Denise did you try that yoghurt cake ,,I am doing it this afternoon will let you know what happens

doing well looks like an NSD for me today .. I dont seem to need anything so will carry on regardless

see ya
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 18th Jul 08, 12:05 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,313 Thanks
    patentgirl
    KAAT-LADY love the pic really cheered me up, just worked out that I am going to go over budget again this month I am definately getting better though pay day 25th and I have nothing left in my purse so will have to draw out some more cash to keep me going till Thurs, will be a NSD today but havent enough in to last till then, plus DD15 will need dinner money for 3 days next week, A baking weekend I think for me, going back to browse over everyones recipes to get some inspirationxx
    February grocery challenge £200
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 18th Jul 08, 12:06 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    jediteacher sorry to hear your DD's poorly. You could try giving her a gingerbread man as ginger is supposed to be really good for settling tummies (avoid any ginger biscuits with nuts in though as she's under 3). I found it worked really well for me when I was preggers and had a bit of reflux. HTH. give her a hug from me xx

Thanks for the recipes gillaman

Hi all

can some one tell me, all the recipes that we post here, do they all end up in the recipe list at the begenning of the thread.
    Yes that's right. I put links to all the recipes that are posted on this thread onto the Index on the first page to make it easier for everyone to find them again

Originally posted by KAAT_LADY
    AWWWWW

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 18-07-2008 at 12:24 PM.
  • annelouise
    cammumof3

1kg mince,400g pork mince - mix in large bowl
    Add 1/2 red pepper finely chopped,1 onion finely chopped,dash mixed herbs,dash ginger,s&p,egg white to bind.

Roll into small balls and coat in flour.

Chill 2 hours or more.

Fry in oil of choice,I finish mine off in oven just in case they are not done in the middle.Serve with spaghetti and sauce of your choice.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

634Posts Today

6,041Users online

Martin's Twitter