Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 109
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 17th Jul 08, 2:05 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum
    Welcome back MrsM.

Right off out to pick up DS. I've done my main shop of the week, and still have over #30 left so hopefully won't be too much over.

• Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 17th Jul 08, 2:29 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    I've always got an answer not always the right one though...

Nikki
    x
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Ha ha, that's like me, Got an answer for everything as my hubby says .... like you, not always the right one but so long as I keep answering, got to hit it right now and again....:confused:
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 17th Jul 08, 2:35 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    afternoon all,

got my tissues, (yes the balsam ones!) and some total yogurts for me and mum (love the low pointsness for my WW), a loaf of cheap bread (don't want to cough in the hm one ) and some more medicines, (cough meds and berocca-a-like to boost my immune system)

MRSM - Welcome back , hope your going ok, the veg haul looks fab!!!

i'm off to cough some more

see you all later

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Moniker
    • By Moniker 17th Jul 08, 2:49 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Thanks for the advice about Flikr.com. I will have to ask permission of the webmaster (i.e.my DH) before I join anything like that as he is very wary - he works from home and we are on a network so I can't risk any compromise to security!

Have managed to get out in the garden for an hour and do some 'weeding' aka digging up some really overgrown hebes. An hour of that was enough - my back is already complaining! No sign of the gas man yet - DH says that's because it's not Monday (duh! and to think I married him because he made me laugh!)

The sun peeped out a moment ago but then it got shy and went away again. Hope it's shining on all of you.

Love Moniker
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 17th Jul 08, 2:55 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,515 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Welcome back Mrs M

FelineFantastic I have an Archie as well,, he is the old cat thats on medication and this is his picture

he is seventeen years old and not very good at the moment
    Last edited by KAAT_LADY; 17-07-2008 at 3:07 PM.
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 17th Jul 08, 2:55 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Just wanted to say a big warm welcome back Mrs M!X
    February grocery challenge 200
    • wendywitch
    • By wendywitch 17th Jul 08, 3:04 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 15,029 Thanks
    wendywitch
    Can I have some help please? I've been sorting out my cupboards trying to write a meal plan :rolleyes: and I've found a dented/ reduced can of "Cannellini beans", don't know why I brought them :confused:. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do with them? What do they taste like?
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 17th Jul 08, 3:15 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    You can use vinegar instead of egg ?
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    Yes I have a recipe for eggless sponge/chocolate cake.

Re the beans-just add them to a chilli or casserolle or suchlike-like you would do with kidney beans.

Orkneystar-yes I can see your nana muffins! Now Im hungry!
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 17-07-2008 at 3:22 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 17th Jul 08, 3:22 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,515 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Angelnikki

I was going to declare this week but I think Its next week so will keep on going
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• smetf
    Mrs M's tortillas
    Hi all
    Welcome back Mrs M!

Have just spent ages catching up on posts, had to post and say Mrs M's tortillas are fantastic. So easy to make and so tasty- made a batch for lunch for 3 kids and me, had them with sandwich fillings that needed using up and then made a batch for our enchiladas for tea, free wine (from my dad to say well done for finishing essays) and free film (Michael Clayton -free Lovefilm trial) how MSE can you get!! Can see me making lots of tortillas over the hols- kids loved them had one savoury and then one sweet each

On a crosser note- not managed to change Mr T order as site wouldn't let me- logged in, got to page where you can click on your orders and then every time I clicked on it- nothing happened Grrr! Will just have to think quick and reject some of the stuff when it comes- does anyone else sometimes have this problem with Mr T?
    Sausages and noodles here for tea- sounds a funny mix but the kids love it (well 2 out of three)

Smetf
    PS Angelatgraceland fancy posting your eggless sponge/ chocolate cake recipie pretty please?
    Wendywitch We like cannelini beans drained and rinsed, then cooked up with a little olive oil, stock cube, garlic and herbs- think it was a Delia calendar served with lamb chops mmmmmmmmmmm but would work as a side serving with other things too !

• KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 17th Jul 08, 3:39 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,515 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY - Loving the graphics your posting, they do add some cheer to the day, can you believe not so long ago you had problems posting images
    Originally posted by Herbaholic

Hi there Herbaholic

I do love putting them on as well and it was not long ago at all when I just couldnt do it ,, and I am glad they are bringing some cheer
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 17th Jul 08, 3:41 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    OK here you go-these were someone elses recipes-not sure who's!

Chocolate Cake without eggs

Melt in a pan
    3 oz of butter
    1 Tbsp golden syrup

Mix together
    8 oz plain flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 oz cocoa
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp bicarb
    2 oz sugar

Stir in butter and syrup mixture
    Add about 1/2 pt of warm water to give a very soft mixture.
    Spoon into 2 greased sandwich tins.
    Bake for about 30 mins at 180c

WACKY CHOCOLATE CAKE

1½ cups pl flour
    1 tsp bicarb of soda
    1 cup sugar
    3 tbsp cocoa
    ½ tsp salt
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp vinegar
    1 cup water

Oven 160°C/ gas 3

Sift together first 5 ingredients
    Make 3 wells in flour mixture
    Put oil in 1, vanilla in 1 and vinegar in the last.
    Pour the water over the top.
    Mix until just blended
    Bake in a 9” square or 2 1lb loaf tins for 40 minutes.

This is a really moist choc cake which doesn't even really need frosting and can be frozen.

You could leave out the choc and add an extra tablespoon of flour and some vanilla essence. They do have a tendancy to crack slightly on the top. Ive tried the wacky one with the choc and its the most moist choc cake Ive ever had. I coated it in a bar of 23p value chocolate.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 17th Jul 08, 3:42 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Recipe search
    Smetf there is an eggless sponge recipe in Angelnikki's list:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=11977161#post11977161

I haven't been able to find the yogourt cake recipe though - can any one help please?

Thanks
    Moniker
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 17th Jul 08, 3:45 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    thats the no fat sponge not the eggless one moniker
    here's the yoghurt cake links: Yoghurt Cake (the easy way)
    MrBadExample's yoghurt cake (the recipe is on post 16 of MBE's thread)

not managed to change Mr T order as site wouldn't let me- logged in, got to page where you can click on your orders and then every time I clicked on it- nothing happened Grrr! Will just have to think quick and reject some of the stuff when it comes- does anyone else sometimes have this problem with Mr T?
    Originally posted by smetf
    I've never had a problem with the MrT site (I've used them every week since DS was born and he's 21months now) and I always edit my order right up to the day before delivery but I think you should keep trying and if that doesnt work try phoning them up.

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 17-07-2008 at 4:58 PM.
    • shaz_mum_of _2
    • By shaz_mum_of _2 17th Jul 08, 3:52 PM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 15,314 Thanks
    shaz_mum_of _2
    Bisquick

Bought some at mr A's for 40p is this its normal price??? no offer labels on shelf

Anyone got any recipes for using it (other than the ones on pack)

Thinking of adding it to my stockpile but like to road test new items first

Shaz

probably a really dumb question but how do i start a new thread??
    Shaz
    • Sosh
    • By Sosh 17th Jul 08, 3:52 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Sosh
    Lovely to have you back Mrs M
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children.
    • mouche
    • By mouche 17th Jul 08, 3:55 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 4,382 Thanks
    mouche
    Quick question - Waitrose doesn't deliver to my post code but Ocado does. Will Ocado accept the Waitrose voucher?
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ 131,290.03 (05/11/2018) MFW target for 2018: 2,406.04/ 3,000
    2017 Challenges: Make 300 a month: 29/300 (November) NSDs: 2/15 (November)
    Lose 3st 9lb: 0/3st 9lb
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 17th Jul 08, 3:55 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    probably a really dumb question but how do i start a new thread??
    Originally posted by shaz_mum_of _2
    At the bottom left of the old style page there is this button:
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 17th Jul 08, 3:58 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,349 Thanks
    newlywed
    Bisquick

Anyone got any recipes for using it (other than the ones on pack)
    Originally posted by shaz_mum_of _2
    http://www.bettycrocker.com/search/searchresults.aspx?terms=bisquick&Tab=Recipes

DMP support thread (member #32)

• gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 17th Jul 08, 3:58 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Quick question - Waitrose doesn't deliver to my post code but Ocado does. Will Ocado accept the Waitrose voucher?
    Originally posted by mouche
    I would say probably not but that would only be a guess
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,569Posts Today

9,252Users online

Martin's Twitter