Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 106
  • dink1
    MandyMoo - Teacakes I guess... why is it different?
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
  • mandy_moo_1
    here you go Dink .......just with you saying teacake bread, wasn't sure if you meant a loaf!!

teacakes in the BM

2tbsp dried milk
    1 & 1/4 cups warm water
    1 tsp salt
    3 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp oil
    1/4 cup currants
    1/3 cup sultanas
    4 cups bread flour
    1 tsp dried yeast

bung everything except fruit into BM
    when machine beeps add fruit
    when dough cycle has finished, knead dough lightly
    divide into 8 or 10 portions
    leave on baking tray to rise
    bake at 190 for about 15-20 mins

enjoy

• dink1
    Thanks Mandymoo - am off to make some! hope you are feeling ok today? Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 17th Jul 08, 7:46 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm hubba hubba

thank you Kaat Lady!!!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 17th Jul 08, 7:48 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    morning all,

feeling rough today, OH's man flu has spread to me and now i have a hacking cough. not good as need to see a friend on the weekend who is preggers and don't want her to catch anything.

have some soaked oats for breakfast (never tried before) and am grating an apple in and drizzling with honey.

need to get tissues and more cough syrup so won't manage a nsd unfortunately.

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• wendywitch
    • By wendywitch 17th Jul 08, 8:17 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 15,029 Thanks
    wendywitch
    TWINK you're famous! You're on Martin's email!
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 17th Jul 08, 8:29 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Morning all

Havent had to time to update for ages this thread grows and grows must have pages to catch up on feel I have to though or I might miss a good recipe or tip from all you lovely people on here, done alot better this month with the help of Aldis and farm foods with the odd bits from Mr T and better menu planning plus trying to cut down on the wine as this comes out of my shopping budget, hope Mrs M is ok looking forward to seeing her back on here when she feels up to it.
    OH went prawning last night so gots loads of free prawns for tea having them with salad and new pots yummy
    managed 4 NSD days in a row now did go to see mama mia last night (brilliant only time I have been to cinema and everyone clapped at the end and sung) but my friend paid for me only £3 a bargain anyway, as I drove and petrol comes under different budget
    keep up good work everyone promise to try and be on here more often.
    February grocery challenge £200
    • Bargain Rzl
    • By Bargain Rzl 17th Jul 08, 8:36 AM
    • 6,174 Posts
    • 21,392 Thanks
    Bargain Rzl
    Just popping in briefly to say I am opting out of the Grocery Challenge for the next couple of months. My finances always get incredibly complicated over the summer and don't have a clear enough delineation between "grocery expenditure" and "other expenditure" to make it worth my while coming on board.

Good luck everybody - and I'll be back in October
    Operation Get in Shape
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 17th Jul 08, 8:52 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Morning all. A rather gloomy day here hope it clears and the sun comes out later.

Angelnikki I would like to declare £367.06 for this month as I finish on saturday and wont be needing anything between now and then. I dont know if your going to be doing the August challenge but I would like to say £340 for August (runs from 20 Jul-21 Aug).

I went over by £17.06 which I dont think is too awful seeing as £14 of that over-spend was for baby formula which will last me 2 or so weeks. Plus I also spent £11.86 on BBQ bits which I hadnt planned on and was out-voted (and seeing as its DH's money and he wanted a BBQ who was I to say no!). So I would have come in under but nevermind.

I keep a spend diary and write EVERYTHING down which I have found to be a big help in seeing where I am spending and those bits and bobs that I dont really need but that add up.

I have one party to cater for this month, which is a big party for my daughter's naming day but I think my in-laws are going to share the cost with us which should help. Would be great to come in under-budget for a change lol.

Nothing much planned today but a NSD for sure. I have to take DD2 (12 weeks) to have her jabs this morning which I am not looking forward to - must bribe my mum or mil to come with me as I hate going on my own!

I am planning to have a HUGE baking session at the weekend for DH's lunchbox and to freeze for the party next weekend. I wonder how much will be eaten before it hits the freezer!!

Hope everyone is okay.
    x
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 17th Jul 08, 9:24 AM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,516 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good morning everyone

hope you are all well ,,,,,,,,I will get back to you soonas I am having brekkie at the moment and dont want to get butter all over the keys

sooon
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 17th Jul 08, 9:25 AM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    I made twinks last night with treacle, sultanas and linseeds. I made them bigger as the mix was much stickier without the coconut in it. I found it really hard to mix this time. Was a little concerned about how well they would work but they were fantastic. A definite one to repeat I think and as treacle is only 28p per jar it works out cheaper than syrup (unless you got the free syrup!).
    We had roast beef with courgettes, carrots, sweetcorn and cheesy potatoes last night. As DH was cutting the grass I had to carve. I'm impressed, I managed to do thin slices so we have 1/2 left. Tonight it's pasta and pastrami with veggies so we'll have a stew or stir fry tomorrow with the beef.
    Whenever I do stirfry DH moans if there's no sauce so I always grab the marmalade out of the cupboard and use 1tbsp marmalade with a dash of vinegar and about 1 cup boiling water. I bung it all in and let it coat everything. Then serve.
    Actually, thinking about it, it had better be stew as I've got another pack of roasting potatoes to use and they won't last long. I can shove them in at the same time and use the bottom shelf for a cake.
    Still got plenty of milk and bread and only 1 school day left so shouldn't need to get fruit or milk or bread until Sunday. If there are no whoopsies of bread then I'll make some.
    I was so shattered last night that I had my bath and went for a little lie down after (8pm). I woke up at 12.30 with DD telling me off for having the light on (DH turned it on and didn't bother turning it off) and thought there was no point getting up then so I stayed in bed. Got up at 7.30 this morning thinking we were running late as kids had been hassling us for about an hour to get up so hit panic stations and we were all ready for the day within 15 minutes.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt £52856.59 £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
    • nellis10
    • By nellis10 17th Jul 08, 9:34 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    nellis10
    Spent £4.85 yesterday on 4L of milk, 1 loaf of bread, a reduced to clear packet of biscuits (ooo forgot about those, will ahve a cuppa now... ) and a little treat for DS!

Can you beleive it a fiver on hardly anything!! But it was from the local shop and I didn't need enough to warrant a big shop! But I am still under budget for the month which is a revelation!!!
    Nat
    Goals:
    Baby Step 1 = £1000 EF
    Baby Step 2= Debt Free by Apr 2017
    Baby Step 3 = Full EF
    Mortgage Free by 2023!!
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 17th Jul 08, 10:09 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Ooh, i'd have swung for him! In future maybe leave a wee note on it if its for something in particular. Maybe along the lines of 'Dont eat me you greedy sod?'
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 17th Jul 08, 10:16 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Morning all

Havent had to time to update for ages this thread grows and grows must have pages to catch up on feel I have to though or I might miss a good recipe or tip from all you lovely people on here, done alot better this month with the help of Aldis and farm foods with the odd bits from Mr T and better menu planning plus trying to cut down on the wine as this comes out of my shopping budget, hope Mrs M is ok looking forward to seeing her back on here when she feels up to it.
    OH went prawning last night so gots loads of free prawns for tea having them with salad and new pots yummy
    managed 4 NSD days in a row now did go to see mama mia last night (brilliant only time I have been to cinema and everyone clapped at the end and sung) but my friend paid for me only £3 a bargain anyway, as I drove and petrol comes under different budget
    keep up good work everyone promise to try and be on here more often.
    Originally posted by patentgirl
    Wow, DP is always going to take me prawning but still haven't got there, good on you
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 17th Jul 08, 10:37 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Mummygem, hope the naming day goes well, I still remember when I had my boys done, wow and all that cooking.

Bargain Rzl, sorry ur going til oct, will see you back then good luck til then

Well done Twinks

Welcome back Tg16, Home sweet Home eh, enjoy

Mandy moo, keep ur chin up girl, there's always something. It'll all come out in the wash(or so my mummy says,bless her)

Ifonly, hope you feel better soon, don't forget to get the tissues with Balsam stops nose glowing

I did spend yesterday £2.50 Taking mr into cafe for his weekly treat, bless him, and £4.61 on a few whoopsies/special offers, will up date sig in a min. Only 11days left for me as startedon 28th June /29th july

Love and hugs to everyone specially those like me who need it at the mo xx
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 17th Jul 08, 10:37 AM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,516 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    hi there folks

will have to hurry as I am being harrassed by the cat because I am sitting in what he says is his chair,, and as he hasjust come in and got dried.

I will be declaring at the end of the week and hopefully it looks like I will be inside my limit I dont think I will be buying any more this week,, fingers crossed,,

see you later
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 17th Jul 08, 10:38 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Herewegoagain it is good fun, all the kids used to love it when they were smaller only DD15 goes occasionally now nothing beats coming back and eating them with some fresh bread and its free!!
    February grocery challenge £200
  • FelineFantastic
    Morning All!

Haven't been on all week as Mum had an accident of the falling kind on Sunday and I have been too busy catching up with everything to get time on here

KaatLady- you are really clever with the piccies-- there is even a piccie of my Archie cat a couple of pages back! Had the shock of my life!

Hope everyone else is okay- and if not ((((((hugs)))))-- is there any MrsMc news?

AngelNikki-- I am declaring on 197.66 (why is it never a round number) as my new challenge will start tomorrow-- if you are still the in-charge person please put me down for £220 please (extra persons this month to feed!)

Will try to keep up from now on (too scary to try to catch up on what I have missed!)

Axx
    June Budget= £151.41/£150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
  • IanWebooks
    error in page
    Just had a look at that link posted, it seems to give you all the ingredients etc but then where it says method it is blank? Not sure if i'm doing something wrong?
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos
    Hi there,

Thanks for spotting the missing text after the "method". Just to let you know that this is currently being rectified.

In response to another poster - yes - we are very much genuine!

Thanks again.

Ian
    webooks
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 17th Jul 08, 11:11 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Morning all,
    Firstly, hugs to all who need them, welcome all newbies, and a big smile to everyone else!
    Yesterdays NSD went to plan and so did the NCD (no choccie day), however there was no NCN (no choccie night) so cannot really count it lol. I gave in to the temptation and had a few ( ) celebrations from the massive tin we got at Christmas (it has been refilled with a small carton once). Not too bad but not too good either lol! DS was asleep, DH was out and so I lay on the sofa watching crap telly and eating, then knitting!
    I made the pineapple salsa and it was yum- I will post it once I can be bothered adding all the changes I made!
    Beef casserole in slow cooker now, could not find a decent curry recipe for slow cooker so will make stew today and then add the curry bits tomorrow to the leftovers and cook on the hob!
    Need to do some more baking, not sure what, maybe a nice fruit loaf or something.
    Hoping for another grocery (and everything else if possible) NSD. Our July runs til Wed 30th and hoping not to spend too much more so we come in at least on, and hopefully under, budget.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

475Posts Today

6,394Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin