Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 16th Dec 05, 1:28 PM
    • 3,779Posts
    • 2,914Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    0 WOW
    Restaurants that practice double tipping
    • 16th Dec 05, 1:28 PM
    0 WOW
    Restaurants that practice double tipping 16th Dec 05 at 1:28 PM
    Noticed there was already a thread mentioning about double tipping etc and how to avoid. Going by The F Word and www.yougov.com, pollster site. The No. 1 thing that people would ban if they had their own restaurant is double tipping. If service is good then sure leave a tip, if service is poor then why should you have to pay a service charge. The gratuity should be down to the individual not to the restaurant owners etc.

I know that The F Word/www.yougov.uk want to banish this practice from restaurants so they are instigating a name and shame campaign. Thought we might do the same seeing as it is such a bugbear with a lot of people who dine out etc.

Unfortunately, I don't dine out very often, and if so, usually Starbucks for a quick lunch with the kids. If anyone would like to start the ball rolling...

Name of establishment, rough address and percentage charged etc would be sufficient I think.

Please note, there is another thread re tipping and how to avoid the surcharge etc but this is just for establishments that double tip. Thank you.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=1254372#post1254372
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-12-2005 at 10:08 AM.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
Page 1
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 18th Dec 05, 3:14 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    • 18th Dec 05, 3:14 PM
    • 18th Dec 05, 3:14 PM
    Perhaps after Christmas there may be postings etc as a lot of people will be going out for their Christmas dinner. For information, I ok'd this thread with Martin before posting.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 18th Dec 05, 6:54 PM
    • 4,414 Posts
    • 21,441 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 18th Dec 05, 6:54 PM
    • 18th Dec 05, 6:54 PM
    This one really got my goat last weekend:

Le Trouvaille, just off Carnaby Street in London.

Service charge of 12.5% and an extra £1 added to the bill for a charity that they support. Ok, so there were 4 of us eating, but it all seemed very much forced upon you - and my friends didn't object! It wasn't a cheap meal to start off with.................
  • Dora the Explorer
    • 18th Dec 05, 7:19 PM
    • 18th Dec 05, 7:19 PM
    I would guess the majority of diners don't object, and that's why restaurants do it.
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 18th Dec 05, 10:11 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    • 18th Dec 05, 10:11 PM
    • 18th Dec 05, 10:11 PM
    I would guess the majority of diners don't object, and that's why restaurants do it.
    by Dora the Explorer
    About time we put our foot down then and started to speak up. Something that really gets on my nerves is when we go out altogether for a family meal etc, and if the service is !!!! etc my father just pays and doesn't want to cause a scene and that's it. I would be like, stuff it, I'm not paying for !!!! service. Why should we put up with shoddy service. If a meal is good I would tip no problem but to have it forced upon me, like VickyA states above, I'd be absolutely fuming. That's the problem, we just sit and take it all the time, poor service, getting ripped off (Rip Off Britain!!!). About time we started sticking up for ourselves and not allow people to rip us off. After all, isn't this what Moneysaving Expert.com is all about. Would you pay for a dud meal and then be expected to double tip on top, I wouldn't.
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 18th Dec 05, 10:19 PM
    • 17,986 Posts
    • 22,277 Thanks
    Poppy9
    • 18th Dec 05, 10:19 PM
    • 18th Dec 05, 10:19 PM
    Went to the Marriot for Xmas dinner/dance. The service was awful by a chap who couldn't speak English/Welsh and just showed you the starter for you to choose yes or no! The soup was so awful that we had to send it back and the wine we had pre-ordered and paid for was not on the table. They didn't get any money tips from us! We did each buy a £1 strip of raffle tickets for their charity though!
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
    • tomstickland
    • By tomstickland 18th Dec 05, 10:25 PM
    • 18,904 Posts
    • 15,428 Thanks
    tomstickland
    • 18th Dec 05, 10:25 PM
    • 18th Dec 05, 10:25 PM
    I went to a Marriot Chrismas dinner/dance last year and it was very much a money making activity.
    Happy chappy
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 18th Dec 05, 10:32 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    • 18th Dec 05, 10:32 PM
    • 18th Dec 05, 10:32 PM
    In the past when I've been out for dinner/lunch etc, I would leave a cash tip for the waiter/waitress that served us. There is one place I go to occasionally that I know doesn't have a double tipping policy and they just have a dish on the counter by the cash register where you can leave a cash tip. I take it that the money would just get divvied up amongst all the staff at the end of a set period.
    • bj-sailaway
    • By bj-sailaway 19th Dec 05, 11:06 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    bj-sailaway
    • 19th Dec 05, 11:06 PM
    • 19th Dec 05, 11:06 PM
    The london hotels are the worst. My company uses Claridges for dinner/meetings, they charge for a minimum of 18 people, even though only 10 turned up - then they charged 12.5% service on all 18 meals!! I made them change the bill - said we'd pay service on 10 meals, but not for people that weren't even there.

Also, I used to waitress in a Beefeater, did you know that alot of the waitresses don't get a wage at this time of year, they work for tips only. You do tend to get the best service from them though! I hoped for tips if I'd been really good to the customers, and usually I did really well, the miserable waitresses never could work out why some of us made so much more than them!!!!!
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 20th Dec 05, 11:34 AM
    • 25,320 Posts
    • 12,549 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Also, I used to waitress in a Beefeater, did you know that alot of the waitresses don't get a wage at this time of year, they work for tips only. You do tend to get the best service from them though! I hoped for tips if I'd been really good to the customers, and usually I did really well, the miserable waitresses never could work out why some of us made so much more than them!!!!!

Is this really true. What about minimum wage?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 20th Dec 05, 11:36 AM
    • 25,320 Posts
    • 12,549 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    by bj-sailaway
    Is this really true. What about the minimum wage?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • AP
    Chef Peking, Raymead Road, Maidenhead SL6 8NJ

They have a 50p 'cover charge' per person plus 12.5% service charge (on the total bill including the cover charge!) 'at your discretion'.

When I went last time, I asked the manager if I have to pay the service charge. He said it was entirely up to you and so I told him I was only paying half of it. He didn't look too happy and said that this was 'for the boys'. But I insisted and he came back with a long face with the credit card receipt. I even asked him for a VAT receipt as it was a business expense which I was going to reclaim back from my firm.
    • gibby
    • By gibby 20th Dec 05, 6:26 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    gibby
    I learnt years ago that TIP means - To Insure Promptness

the original idea was to give the tip before the meal - ie - "give some cash to insure you got looked after at the start of the meal"

if we get good service we give a tip after or if we dont we feel bad but usually give one anyway.

I dont mind doing it before as we always get great service this way.

I cant understand why we now do it the wrong way round

Gibby
  • ADC
    islington
    Suffered from this at an un named resto in islington. Didn't mind the cover charge which I can understand but wasn't happy with the charge of 10% added to the bill as a tip without any consultation whatsoever. I complained and was told "how do you think we make any money?" I pointed out that the wine I had drunk was available from a supermarket at £3-99 but they had charged me £12-99. I also added that I lived in Yorkshire and we rewarded service when we received it. Resto proprietor told me in front of the assembled diners to **** off back to yorkshire!

So I did (and I get better service up here!)
    Last edited by ADC; 20-12-2005 at 8:30 PM.
    Beep Beep
  • essaym
    I think tipping is a farce. Whay should people in the service industry receive a tip anyway? They get paid for doing their job, what entitles them to receive extra money to do what they are paid for by the company they work for?

Sure they may not get paid much (and I may sound like scrooge here) but neither do the staff who work in super markets or petrol stations but does anyone tip them? There are loads of low paid jobs who dont get their incomes supplimented by tips, so why should any waiter(ess) receive anything?

Im not saying I dont tip, I do, but only if I think the service staff deserve it. I used to work as a waiter while at uni, I got paid pittence, but I didnt expect people to give me tips to suppliment my income, I was nice to customers, and sometimes they left me a tip, but I wasnt nice to them in order to get a tip, I was nice because it was my job to be nice, to provide a service, and any tips I got went into the tip jar, so they could be shared with the staff behind the scenes, i.e. the kitchen staff who do an arguably more important service, for not much more, and receive no tips. I later learnt that the management took huge amounts out of the tip jar to cover breakages, balancing tills, and even used it for petty cash i.e. to get their taxi home on a night! So from then on I pocketed any money I got and when i felt it neccessary I shared it out with my friends from the kitchen.

Sorry I do realise I have rambled on a bit here, but my main point is why tip service staff? and not other professions, would you tip a traffic warden for leaving you a ticket? I think not, yet they are foing their job too! :P
  • MrSmartprice
    What enrages me is when the bill includes a service charge, and then the final amount is left "open" to embarrass you into tipping again. When this has happened to me, I have taken the opportunity to reduce the amount to account for poor service, thus paying less than the service charge. After all, it is up to the customer how much to tip. If I have had such poor service that I will never return, I refuse to pay any service charge or tip whatsoever.

The key to this is to have the confidence to do it. I am sure many just pay up to avoid embarrasment or fuss, especially in a group. Sod that!!
  • AP
    Suffered from this at an un named resto in islington.
    by ADC
    Please name and shame this establishment by giving it full name and address on this board.
    • gromituk
    • By gromituk 21st Dec 05, 10:06 AM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    gromituk
    (Opening Post)
    Unfortunately, I don't dine out very often, and if so, usually Starbucks for a quick lunch with the kids. If anyone would like to start the ball rolling...
    by Smiley_Mum
    A slightly different point, but have you considered going to independent restaurants, rather than branches of a large American corporation which is contributing to our identikit high streets and killing off variety and local enterprise? You can do more with your money than just decide whether or not to tip
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • nathan barley
    We went to Dinos near Sth Kensington tube a couple of months ago. The food was good, but there was only one waitress to about 25 customers and we had to wait a long time for our food (would not usually be bothered about this but we had our children with us who were STARVING!!). On the bill was an OPTIONAL 10% service charge. I chose not to pay it as I felt the service had been too slow. I paid the bill & was then approached by the waitress who said it was short. I told her I was not paying the service charge as it was optional. We then got up to leave, then the manager blocked the door (yes really!) and demanded to know why we had not paid the OPTIONAL service charge!! Hubbie explained why and the waitress shouted abuse at us as we jostled to leave the place. This was intimidating & highly embarassing but caused much amusement to the other diners who I presume alll paid the service charge!!!! needless to say, we won't be going there again.
    Happy xmas moneysavers xx
    • RS1800
    • By RS1800 21st Dec 05, 12:05 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    RS1800
    Sorry I do realise I have rambled on a bit here, but my main point is why tip service staff? and not other professions, would you tip a traffic warden for leaving you a ticket? I think not, yet they are foing their job too! :P
    by essaym
    I agree with you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

236Posts Today

2,573Users online

Martin's Twitter