Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 104
  • Herbaholic
    Hi herbaholic,

thanks i think your right i think its the turnip!!

what do i do with it?
    Originally posted by fertyskids
    Hi Ferty, twasn't me, I posted about kohl rabbi and florence fennel, all I do with turnips is add to soups and stews and do a half and half mix of turniop and carrot to add to cottage pie.

I did post a response this morning, but then I got an email with a clicky and I clicked and link opened in my MSE window and my message disappeared All that typing for nothing. Had a 2 NSD's in a row and need to do more, spent the past few weeks changing gas & elec, getting cheaper car insurance etc to save money. Only to get a letter from council, they sc*ewed up the council tax and they're putting our monthly payment up and back dating it to April! So all that saving... :confused: I was feeling really bad and almost fell of the MSE wagon, but then I read all your posts and some of you made me smile and I thought, if we'd not made the savings we had already we REALLY would be worse off! So thanks to everyone that shares their daily ups and downs

Went to the library yesterday and borrowed (I'm trying to kick my amazon book habit!) several books mostly on indian cookery as its DH's fav food and I want to cook him something nice and different this weekend, have pencilled in a few ideas. Having homemade spag bol for tea tonight with the whoopsie mince I get from Mr A last week, not on my meal plan for this week but I fancy spag bol! Breadmaker on for the crusty bread to go with it and I have double choc muffins cooling on the side. Also pulled off loads of basil leaves and popped them in freezer bags, if I didn't I'd have lost a good crop, got the plants from a free packet of seeds I grew myself so I'm well chuffed. Have loads in the freezer now ready for adding to pizza, spag bol and italian style bread mixes, just need to crumble the frozen leaves into the food when cooking Also used up some pears and apples to make a crumble to freeze. Last night we had the whoopsie sirloin steak with chips, peas and salad with fried onions. I'm usually rubbish at cooking meat but these came out really juicy and lush and they only cost £1! Sure there was something else I was going to say but can't recall, shall pop back later if I remember. Hope everyone is having a good day
    Last edited by Herbaholic; 16-07-2008 at 3:00 PM.
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 ; Jun £278.86/£275.00 ; May £276.13/£280.00
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 16th Jul 08, 3:03 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Didnt know you could freeze basil? You learn something new every day. I bought a basil plant the other day to make pesto
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Herbaholic
    Didnt know you could freeze basil? You learn something new every day. I bought a basil plant the other day to make pesto
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos
    Yup You can freeze most herbs, chives are good, so is parsley, the only one I don't freeze is sage as in my opinion its the only herb that actually tastes better when dried, the flavour actually improves methinks. You can dry freeze the basil like I do or chop it and put it in ice cube trays covered with water and make basil ice cubes. I've made lemon balm, lemon verbena ones and borage flower cubes to throw in summer drinks, they're sat in the freezer waiting for summer ggrrrrrr lol!
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 ; Jun £278.86/£275.00 ; May £276.13/£280.00
    • wendywitch
    • By wendywitch 16th Jul 08, 3:32 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 15,029 Thanks
    wendywitch
    Just a couple of quick questions. It seems - touch wood, fingers crossed etc that I might come in under my GC challenge budget (goes 'til the 24th). What do I do with this invisible "extra" money? Do I take it out of my 2K challenge budget (which I think I'll fail ) and do something with it or what? Also how much do I put down for next months challenge?
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 16th Jul 08, 4:14 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Just a couple of quick questions. It seems - touch wood, fingers crossed etc that I might come in under my GC challenge budget (goes 'til the 24th). What do I do with this invisible "extra" money? Do I take it out of my 2K challenge budget (which I think I'll fail ) and do something with it or what? Also how much do I put down for next months challenge?
    Originally posted by wendywitch
    Hi Wendy,
    If you've allocated the money for your GC, then you could put the spare in a savings account, maybe use it for bulk buys (as Guns&banjos suggested) or just save it for emergencies, it's up to you.
    As for next months challenge, if you think that you could live on less, maybe you could reduce your challenge by £20 or £50 or something, depending on how you finish this month?
    Long & short is its up to you, but hope that helped a bit,
    Last edited by Flylady_Flower; 16-07-2008 at 4:39 PM.
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • dink1
    Newlywed - Well done, I know it wasn't good but at least you are now aware of how much you've spent. That far out tops the not wanting to add it up bit. I too have spent too much this month and dont stand a snowflake in hells chance of coming in under budget but... I console myself that at least I know where I stand on the no money stakes and it would be far worse if I werent keeping track. Keep thinking we can do this....we can do this.....Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
  • Diane_239
    Nsd for me today,has i only have£35 left I'm trying to use up stuff in freezer and store cupboard.fish pie and veg for tea to night and have manged to make fish cakes for tomorrow.must get some baking done.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge.[£200/£200]
    Aug Grocery Challenge £200
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 16th Jul 08, 6:13 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    well caved to OH and we had pizza, but IT was HM and delicious

Pizza Base Recipe

8 Oz SR Flour
    Drizzle olive oil
    Drizzle water
    Italian herbs
    salt & pepper

mix all together and add drizzles of wate rand oil til the dough comes together when kneaded.
    leave for 10 mins
    roll out onto tray (quicker than trying to move it)
    top and cook for 15 - 20 mins

we have tomato paste and ketchup sauce and mozzarella, so a margherita type.

also managed a nsd!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 16th Jul 08, 6:25 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi everyone.
    Went to Mr A to get a few bits. Only had one bag of the cheap bread mix on the shelf. Have updated my signature going to have to be careful for the next couple of weeks to stay in budget. Don't want to fail again.
    Have a good evening all.
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £48828.05/£46842.89/-£1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 16th Jul 08, 6:44 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,864 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Hi everybody

been to MrT's to get prescription and just bought a few goodies my willpower was non existant but we did get whoopsies

will update later
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 16th Jul 08, 6:58 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,864 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    hi there I'm back just to let you know that we had veggie rice tonight with MUSHROOMS and also had a bit of melted cheese on top mmmmmmmm very nice..

I have frozen all the rest so we can have a break from them for a while
    Thanks
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 16th Jul 08, 7:17 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    Had some HM yogurt to use up, so have got my first attempt at yogurt cake in the oven No idea how it'll turn out, but it smells fantastic. If it tastes as good as it smells, it's going to be a real struggle to leave it for 2 or 3 days for the flavour to develop!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
    • ragz
    • By ragz 16th Jul 08, 7:39 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    NSD yesterday, today spent 72p on a loaf of bread (cheapest one they do in T. express, grrr) Wish I had a loaf tin big enough to bake bread in!
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 16th Jul 08, 7:42 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    Ohhh, I'm so proud of you and you should be so proud of yourself too, A MASSIVE WELL DONE! See, we told you you could do it. and a great compliment from your OH too, fantastic... Keep it up girl....
    Originally posted by denisefowler
    Bless you that's very kind.
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 16th Jul 08, 7:51 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    Is the recipe already up? I have been thinking all week about making toad in the hole and don't have a recipe for it.
    Originally posted by MissPin
    Not sure but this is the recipe I followed:

8 sausages
    4oz (100g) plain flour
    2 eggs
    Milk
    Oil
    1 small onion

1. I cooked the sausages until they started to go brown on my gridle pan, then added the onion for about 3 minutes.
    2. In a large bowl I sifted the plain flour and made a well in the centre.
    3. To make the batter I broke the eggs one at a time and put them into the well. Then I added a dash of milk and whisked the mixture. I kept adding a dash of milk until the texture was fairly thick put runny.
    4. I put the sausages and onions into a medium sized oven proof dish with a drizzle of olive oil and then poured the batter over the top.
    5. I then put into the oven on gas mark 7 (220C) for 20 minutes.
    6. Voila a lovely Toad in the Hole.

Sorry, if this is a bit basic but it's the way I follow recipes.

Also just noticed that I have my second star!
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.
    • Sosh
    • By Sosh 16th Jul 08, 8:06 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Sosh
    Does anyone operate a separate 'bulk buy' budget? Just wondering as i used the Waitrose code which has now 'blown' my July budget, however it is stuff that probably wont get used in july and i only got it so i could use the code which is great. So maybe i could reduce the GC money by say £25 a month and run a separate bulk buy budget of £300 per year??? I would spend the same amount, just differently i suppose. Sorry for the rambling, just wondering if anyone else did this?
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos
    I have a bulk buy pot. Each month, I ferret money away into 3 extra pots, bulk buys, Christmas and caravan (for when the caravan opens each March.) So far, since joining the challenge, I haven't had to dip into my bulk buy pot, but it's nice to know it's there if i need it.

I am sooooo mad. This morning, I used my last eggs to make a cake for dd's playgroup party in the morning. When I got back from my Mums, dh said he didn't want any tea tonight as he'd stuffed his face on the cake I'd made. He's EATEN HALF

Thank God for twinks
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children.
  • toottifrootti
    Hi All,
    I know I am being thick but what are "whoopsies" !!?? I keep seeing it recipes etc and just cant think what you mean?
    TFxx
    Peace will be mine
    could do better - must try harder
    Live each day as if its your last
    DFW Nerd #1000 Proud to be dealing with my debts

• Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 16th Jul 08, 8:17 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Still catching up on thread,
    Thanks to Zoe, Orkney star,and perrywinkle,Den, Dink 1 It's nice of you to care

Nikki, ur always so helpful, hope ur soon better, been there done that

JJ, well done with the job, hope you enjoy

Savsr, we've all been there hon, ur fine, don't worry

Susieq, hope ur op goes well, look after ur self

JediTeacher, love Toad in the Hole, well done that is only the beginning

Annelouise, I love to see you post, it's always so informitive

Herboholic, lots of lovely info, thanks

Xredwebx, you'll be ok just follow all advice

Love and hugs to all who need it

And also to those who don't, we all need it

HWGA xx
    Last edited by Herewegoagain; 16-07-2008 at 9:03 PM.
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 16th Jul 08, 8:32 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,864 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Hi All,
    I know I am being thick but what are "whoopsies" !!?? I keep seeing it recipes etc and just cant think what you mean?
    TFxx
    Originally posted by toottifrootti

Hi there toottifrootti

You are not thick,, whoopsies are knocked down items that you pick up in stores,, I think MrA has them and other stores are just reduced items

Last edited by KAAT_LADY; 16-07-2008 at 8:35 PM.
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• catnap53
    Zoe If you want to cook and freeze rice you have to make sure that you cool it as quickly as possible and refridgerate/freeze it within an hour of cooking. Always reheat it thoroughly.

Quote from: http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/keepingfoodsafe/asksamcooking/
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    I have been looking at this recently. I was trained in microbiology (long ago)and we were taught about this. It stems from Chinese restaurants that used to boil rice and then left it at room temperature overnight ready to quickly heat it up as fried rice the next day. Most cases of food poisoning don't get reported as the symptoms are usually mild and short term.

There are actually two different forms caused by different toxins, one is vomiting that starts between 1 to 6 hours after eating the affected food. The other is diarrhoea with abdominal cramps that starts between 6 to 12 hours after eating.

However it is not only rice that can be affected, the bacteria like to grow on any starchy food such as pasta and potatoes. There have been deaths associated with pasta. One I found was from a pasta salad that was made on a Friday, taken to a picnic on Saturday, then kept in a fridge that was not working properly and eaten on Monday. The whole family was affected, but some didn't eat much because it 'smelled funny' and they survived.

Another was the son of a doctor. They had both eaten for the third time from a batch of spag bol. Again it had 'smelled funny'.

Sorry if this is too much information, but rice gets the bad press.

I always cook too much rice and pasta and save it in the fridge, so I am not scaremongering, just careful. I always look for any signs of bacterial growth and smell it before reheating properly and serving it, and if I have any doubt about how long I have kept it I just give it to DH!

Zzzzz

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,748Posts Today

7,376Users online

Martin's Twitter